OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobo354. Show bobo354's posts

Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....

In Response to Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    [QUOTE]I remember watching the Pats preseason game in Fenway park. In front of me was Johnny Halvechik (sp?) and his girlfriend Bess. It was against the dreaded Jets. Great time. They sure have come a long way.
    Posted by bobo354[/QUOTE]
    Beth, not Bess

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    [QUOTE]OK folks sorry for this thread but I am feeling nostalgic. I am an older Pats fan (wont say how old haha) and I can vividly remember when I was in the 6th grade watching the Patriots with my Dad. After another Pats loss I remember asking him "Dad how come every year the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins always have good teams and the Patriots always stink?" My dad laughed and said "Dont worry son, someday the Patriots will be good too." haha This was in the early 70's and although we lived thru some lean years, he was right the pats finally became relevant. He passed away in 2008, and I am glad he lived long enough to see the Pats become a powerhouse! Again sorry if this bores you I was just thinking of my Dad this morning.
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

and one day, the Patriots will suck again; like in the 70s...lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Oh the 70's.  I remember the family drives in the Green Grand Torino with dad chain smoking Pall Malls with the windows rolled up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rainbowroosie. Show rainbowroosie's posts

I remember going to the stadium hoping we would beat the double digit point spread --- often we didn't!

Enjoy the greatness NOW!!! I'm also a Florida State fan, as with many Notre Dame fans, we thought the good times would never end....they did.Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

father /son football memories .. great thread!

as many of you mentioned in the 50s and 60s NewEngland was a Giants fan base. My dad was a devoted Giants fan  but was a total profootball fan ( loved Jim Brown!), so he tolerated my allegiance to the new pass happy AFL ( " thats not football")and the Pats.

Dec 1963 was a watershed year in our family. we got our first color TV  .. to watch both Pats and Giants in the playoffs. My dad told my mom we got it so she could watch Perry Como in color.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Good post not boring at all, To reminisce is to live again. Well, my dad passed away last year he was a Giants fan, but he respected and like the patriots too. I'll never forget how he almost made me cry during the 07 season lol, and he would of done the same last year too, because I always used to brag about how great of a football team the pats are.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seastixholdersince1971. Show Seastixholdersince1971's posts

People I can relate also..... We have had tickets for 41 years now.. 2010 playoff game vs the Jets my dad had a stroke 13 minutes in the second quarter. He was with my best friend. They rushed him to a Hospital in Rhode Island and passed 1130 that night. Around 730pm I had a state trooper knocking at my front door asking me if I had a relative that lives in Mass. ( I live in tenn). I stated my dad was at a game with my buddy. They said he was in a hospital you need to call this number... You can only imagine what I was feeling....Had to talk with doctors and make a decision to take him off life support. The story get crazy right now..... 2 weeks before the game I was talking with my dad about transfering the tickets to me to keep the tickets in the family.... we argued and I made a bad desicion... I hung up on him.......bad move..... So while in the parking lot ( my dad and my best friend) were talking about the pass it on program. My buddy convienced my dad to sign the tickets over and he signed the sheet in the car.Then they procedded to the game ( that long walk ) and he had to stop a few times....Finally they got in and the 13th minute was upon him....A week later at the funeral we placed the Pats playoff ticket around his neck with his favorite Pats hat, and his radio..To this day I feel guilt about my actions....It changed me for the better... He lived in New York the entire time he was a Pats fan...The heads we turned every week going to a game with the license plate " PATSFAN". miss you dad..... 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Great thread! We all had fathers and some of them didn't get a chance to see the mighty Patriots or Red Sox rise from the ashes. My Father just missed on the Patriots as he passed in 2000 and he definately would have enjoyed watching them win the Super Bowl. We enjoyed many a game together even when the only team we could watch on local TV was the NYG's...In 1960 we were liberated when the Patriots came to Boston!!! Babe Parilli and the boys weren't very good but they always gave it 100%. He loved Steve Grogan the most of all the Patriots QB's that he saw and remembered and though he suffered from short term dementia in the later years,he still loved his Patriots! God if only he could have seen what has become of our team he would be smiling from ear to ear!!!!! RIP to all the fathers who missed out on the two bigggest sporting events the Sox and Patsies winning the big one!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

To all who contributed to this thread, I say thanks for your heartfelt comments. Alot of your comments brought me back in time, and others tugged at my heartstrings. And although our dads helped shape us into the men we are today, please remember the old saying "you can judge a mans character by how he treats his mother in her later years." But I guess thats for another thread! Thanks again, and if your dad is still here, call him and just say luv ya dad!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In Response to OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    [QUOTE]OK folks sorry for this thread but I am feeling nostalgic. I am an older Pats fan (wont say how old haha) and I can vividly remember when I was in the 6th grade watching the Patriots with my Dad. After another Pats loss I remember asking him "Dad how come every year the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins always have good teams and the Patriots always stink?" My dad laughed and said "Dont worry son, someday the Patriots will be good too." haha This was in the early 70's and although we lived thru some lean years, he was right the pats finally became relevant. He passed away in 2008, and I am glad he lived long enough to see the Pats become a powerhouse! Again sorry if this bores you I was just thinking of my Dad this morning.

I too am an older Pats fan......followed them since the days of Babe Parelli,Jim Nance and Gino.
    Actually saw a game at Fenway Park against the Buffalo Bills back in the mid-60s. 
    Yep....there was a lot of lean years but when Chuck Fairbanks came to town that turned the tide.  I recall the game I attended against the Oakland Raiders in 76 when the Pats blew the Raiders out behind Steve Grogan and still to this day the greatest rushing team.  The 76 team still holds the record for most rushing yards in a single season by rushing for over 3000 yards.
    That same team was robbed by Ben Drieth in Oakland during a playoff game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Found highlights of the first game I remember watching, when we beat the World Champs. Later in the year we beat the Vikings were something like 6-1, then collapsed to finish 7-7. 2 years later we made it to the playoffs, then a lot of tough just miss years after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6iF2bN604k

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:
    [QUOTE]People I can relate also..... We have had tickets for 41 years now.. 2010 playoff game vs the Jets my dad had a stroke 13 minutes in the second quarter. He was with my best friend. They rushed him to a Hospital in Rhode Island and passed 1130 that night. Around 730pm I had a state trooper knocking at my front door asking me if I had a relative that lives in Mass. ( I live in tenn). I stated my dad was at a game with my buddy. They said he was in a hospital you need to call this number... You can only imagine what I was feeling....Had to talk with doctors and make a decision to take him off life support. The story get crazy right now..... 2 weeks before the game I was talking with my dad about transfering the tickets to me to keep the tickets in the family.... we argued and I made a bad desicion... I hung up on him.......bad move..... So while in the parking lot ( my dad and my best friend) were talking about the pass it on program. My buddy convienced my dad to sign the tickets over and he signed the sheet in the car.Then they procedded to the game ( that long walk ) and he had to stop a few times....Finally they got in and the 13th minute was upon him....A week later at the funeral we placed the Pats playoff ticket around his neck with his favorite Pats hat, and his radio..To this day I feel guilt about my actions....It changed me for the better... He lived in New York the entire time he was a Pats fan...The heads we turned every week going to a game with the license plate " PATSFAN". miss you dad..... 
    Posted by Seastixholdersince1971[/QUOTE]

Wow, what a story, very touching.  Thanks for sharing.  Don't carry that guilt around with you for the rest of your life, I'm pretty sure you Father would not want you to do that. Instead, remember the great memories you two shared together.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Well, you can't be that old if you said the Sox had a good team every year. Pre 1967 and post Ted Williams the Sox were just not a good team but they were fun to watch! But it is certainly more fun watching both the Pats and Sox during the good times. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco56. Show rusco56's posts

I remember the bad old days of schaeffer stadium and even before. I still have my dads Boston Patriots 1776 tie pin!In Response to OK I am reminiscing not sure how many of you remember these days.....:

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco56. Show rusco56's posts

I moved to sweden in 1996, and then they started winning, I have had to watch all the games on my computer, but; it has been worth it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rusco56. Show rusco56's posts

reading all of these made me realize, my dad passed in 83 and never got to see the glory years. he is up in heaven argueing with his brother who is a giants fan!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]Found highlights of the first game I remember watching, when we beat the World Champs. Later in the year we beat the Vikings were something like 6-1, then collapsed to finish 7-7. 2 years later we made it to the playoffs, then a lot of tough just miss years after that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6iF2bN604k
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

Yeah things were going great than Bob Windsor ( the TE that was really becoming a favorite traget of Plunkett?) went down.  It went downhill after that.

Sections
Shortcuts