OL Moffit quits on the Broncos- Not Happy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

OL Moffit quits on the Broncos- Not Happy

Interesting timing. Not a super star- but making pretty good change. Doesn't want to risk life and limb anymore.  Rare to see a player just walk away. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/offensive-lineman-john-moffitt-walks-away-nfl-says-211429267--nfl.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: OL Moffit quits on the Broncos- Not Happy

True.  Rare decision to make. Gotta give him kudos for recognizing that he wasn't happy playing footbally anymore - and that he can do something else to pay the bills.

I wonder what Barry Sanders' stats/career would have been like if he kept playing instead or retiring early.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

True.  Rare decision to make. Gotta give him kudos for recognizing that he wasn't happy playing footbally anymore - and that he can do something else to pay the bills.

I wonder what Barry Sanders' stats/career would have been like if he kept playing instead or retiring early.

Moffitt is only 27- maybe he'll unretire? He won't get the kind of attention Favre did with all his will he or won't he moments. I'm sure Favre has regrets aboout his returns.

Sanders went out on top and healthy. Probably a very samart thing to do.  Yeah, he was an amazing talent and would have most likely continued to break records.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

I recall his name being mentioned here a ton on draft day back in 2010 or 2011.

Good player. One of the reasons Wisconsins run game was putting up spectacular numbers.

Obviously smart. I just did not think he was smart enough to make such a rational choice on a big decision such as this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Respect his decision, and wish him well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to darwk's comment:

Interesting timing. Not a super star- but making pretty good change. Doesn't want to risk life and limb anymore.  Rare to see a player just walk away. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/offensive-lineman-john-moffitt-walks-away-nfl-says-211429267--nfl.html

After seeing Vollmers injury,If I was a player,  I would have walked straight to the owners office and said thank for the opportunity! LoL, Seriously....some people value their lives and health more than money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

After seeing Vollmers injury,If I was a player,  I would have walked straight to the owners office and said thank for the opportunity! LoL, Seriously....some people value their lives and health more than money.

Always easy for people to make the mistake of thinking that money can, in all circumstances, buy quality of life 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Volmer's scream still echos. Brutal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Kudos to John. Love the game, but I often think that the human cost is too high in football. We mostly hear about high profile NFL injuries, but a lot of boys and young men damage their bodies way before they can get to the NFL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

what is Vollmer's prognosis?  Is he even going to come back or is he done altogether?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

"The more severe and more complicated of the leg fracture is the tibia fracture. From the career ending injury of Joe Thiesmann to the gruesome open fracture sustained by Kevin ware to the injury seen in our very own Sebastian Vollmer, acute tibial fractures are fortunately not incredibly common athletic injuries. Though despite the fact that they are not the most common athletic injuries, they do comprise 30.9% of all closed tibial fractures (closed = bone not sticking out of the skin, whereas open=bone is visible through a wound)."

http://www.examiner.com/article/from-thiesman-to-vollmer-mechanisms-treatment-and-rehab-of-leg-fractures

ranked as the eighth-best offensive lineman this season...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

"Moffitt's departure had convenient timing as the Broncos activated center J.D. Walton from the physically unable to perform list to their 53-man roster by the 2 p.m. Tuesday deadline.

Moffitt told the team he was retiring from football, but a source close to him said the third-year NFL lineman from the University of Wisconsin is doing some soul searching amid frustration at his lack of playing time.

Moffitt, 27, had started 15 games at guard for the Seattle Seahawks in 2011-12. He was inactive in six of eight games since the Broncos acquired him from Seattle in a late August trade for defensive tackle Sealver Siliga."

For John Moffitt, that lovin' feeling is gone - as is the offensive lineman - The Denver Post

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Always easy for people to make the mistake of thinking that money can, in all circumstances, buy quality of life 

[/QUOTE]

Well maybe it doesn't but it really really helps.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Why cheer a quitter????  Is this what this everybody gets a trophy, politicaly correct society has evolved into.

I'd have a lot more respect for the guy if he waited for the work year to end before quitting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

good point t-cal I was thinking the same thing.....just to easy to quit be a man and ask for your release or trade, or retire at the end of the season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

Well maybe it doesn't but it really really helps.

Thus the... "in all circumstances" qualifier

• You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Why cheer a quitter????  Is this what this everybody gets a trophy, politicaly correct society has evolved into.

I'd have a lot more respect for the guy if he waited for the work year to end before quitting.

I get what you are saying and, generally, I agree with that way of doing things.  The thing is, I don't know what is going on with this guy.  It's a dangerous game and if he is not prepared to give 100% when he is out there, he may prove to be more of a hazard to his teammates. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that the NFL has never hesitated to drop a player without warning.  The contracts that they offer players are generally worth less than the paper they are written on.  Once a team determines that it has no use for you, you're gone.  There is no sense of devotion directed to the players.  Look at what happened to Bledsoe.  The man was given a huge contract and then almost gets himself killed doing his job.  His reward?  Don't bother coming back son, you've been replaced. 

The more I think about it, the more respect I have for this guy.  He made a decision about what he felt was best for him.  He sure as hel* knew that the NFL never would.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

It's a valid point however I thought I read that he really wasn't playing (not a starter). Probably not a lot of difference from a backup to the best PS guy potentially. Especially if the backup has no desire remaining.

Would you rather have a guy stick it out just so people can say he didn't stop playing in the middle of the season and collect the remainder of his money or see a guy acknowledge that he is not doing the team or himself any justice as he no longer has any desire to play?

In fact the desire may have been gone long before now as he was traded from the team that drafted him.

Which guy/approach do you think benefits his team more?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

so, he's pursuing his happiness and has his priorities in order - and he's considered to be a quitter?  The kudus is for having the courage to pursue his happiness; especially since it defies or goes against the grain when it comes to what and how society defines "success".

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If I had to play with that clown Gomer every day, I would probably quit too!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Why cheer a quitter????"

That's easy.

Because life is more than a football game.

He didn't quit on life he quit on football. 

The unhappiest people I ever met were people who forced themselves square peg into round hole because they were determined not to be "quitters." 

Quit on one thing, find yourself, then invest all the passion you have in THAT new thing. 

That's not quitting on life that's good living.

• Sections
    Shortcuts