OL Rebound For 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

OL Rebound For 2014

"

14. New England Patriots (2nd)
    PB: 19th, RB: 15th, PEN: 1st

Stud: The heir to Matt Light might not have entered the top tier of tackles, but Nate Solder (+25.6) is knocking on the door. Too many sacks allowed (10), but you have to be happy when your tackle pass blocks 647 times and gives up just 35 quarterback disruptions.

Dud: Last year Ryan Wendell (-14.0) got something of a pass from us because of his tremendous run blocking. Well, when he’s not producing that you can’t ignore his woeful pass protection. Centers should never allow more quarterback disruptions (37) than the team’s starting left tackle no matter how good the LT is.

Analysis: A dropoff for a normally solid unit. It really didn’t help that they lost the league’s (at that point) top-rated right tackle in Sebastian Vollmer, but with Logan Mankins far from elite and Dan Connolly struggling, the real problem comes in the interior where the team might look to bring in some competition in the offseason.

"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/3/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/3/

Hopefully, our OL will get better (and stay healthy for playoffs); especially in the middle. Wendell and Connolly have to go?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: OL Rebound For 2014

Da, or is it Duh?

They drafted replacements and now they have to perform in camp before anyone is cut. If it was so clear cut, Wendell would not have been resigned, and Connolly cut. 

Also time to find out if Cannon can play major snaps as he is in line for $$$ next year, here or elsewhere

Whats next, you calling Mankins "Mankie", and blaming Brady for Wendell's poor grades?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Da, or is it Duh?

They drafted replacements and now they have to perform in camp before anyone is cut. If it was so clear cut, Wendell would not have been resigned, and Connolly cut. 

Also time to find out if Cannon can play major snaps as he is in line for $$$ next year, here or elsewhere

Whats next, you calling Mankins "Mankie", and blaming Brady for Wendell's poor grades?

What a terrible response. You're just mad cuz I called BS on a couple of other threads u created. :)

I think it's hilarious that you and Rusty are cut from the same cloth

Nice try though!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The Pats got some OL help in the draft that was supposedly a deep one for interior OL.  Any vet that's struggling will get a back seat to a rookie with upside.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to garytx's comment:

The Pats got some OL help in the draft that was supposedly a deep one for interior OL.  Any vet that's struggling will get a back seat to a rookie with upside.  

I think it's a move in the right direction.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

At a minimum the competition at C and RG between Cannon, Wendell, Connelly, Stork, Halapio, Kline and Cave is going to be a must see this training camp!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I am very much looking forward to see how this competition shakes out. Potential is certainly there for an improved O-line this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I am very much looking forward to see how this competition shakes out. Potential is certainly there for an improved O-line this year.

Me too.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Last year Brady led the league in sacks recorded in less than 2.5 seconds. That needs to change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

"

The Stakes:Logan Mankins, Ryan Wendell, and Dan Connolly have been the Patriots starting trio from left to right on the interior offensive line for the past two years. How much longer will that continuity last? The Patriots drafted two interior offensive linemen in May: center Bryan Stork in the fourth round and right guard Jon Halapio in the sixth round. Guard Josh Kline has earned unsolicited plaudits from the coaching staff, and could be another factor in the competition.

The Players:

Logan Mankins: Entering his 10th year, the Patriots' starting left guard didn't play up to his high standards last year, but he remains firmly entrenched in his slot. Mankins' $10.5 million cap number is the second-highest on the Patriots' roster behind Tom Brady, and the Patriots would only get back $2.5 million by cutting him.

Ryan Wendell: Wendell is considered more of a technician than a mauler, and is a modest 6-foot-2 and 300 pounds. The Patriots' starting center of the past two seasons, Wendell came on strong in his first season as the starter, but took a step back in 2013. The Patriots signed him back on a two-year deal with minimal guaranteed money, and their selection of Stork in the fourth round provides Wendell some true competition.

Dan Connolly: For four years, Connolly has carved his niche by settling into any position that opens up. He has started at all three spots on the inside, and that versatility has been his meal ticket. The 6-foot-4, 305-pounder is also not a force as a run-blocker, relying more on his technical savvy and sound fundamentals to help him win matchups. He also has the lateral quickness to get out in front of plays as a lead-blocker.

Jon Halapio: The Patriots' sixth-round draft selection in May, Halapio spent all his time at right guard for the Florida Gators, starting all 26 games there from 2011-2012. He played through an 80-percent torn pectoral muscle in 2013 to start 10 games at right guard after missing the first two. He is considered a mauling interior lineman, clearing the way for inside runs by using his exceptional initial punch to knock defenders back. He has short arms (33.625 inches) that could be a setback if he lunges too quickly.

Josh Kline: At 6-foot-3 and 295 pounds, Kline plays a lot bigger than his size would indicate, but he is not as agile or capable in space as you would expect from a smaller offensive lineman. He needs to learn to play with leverage and gets a little high in his stance at times, but he has the requisite nastiness to line up in the middle and take on big, tough defensive tackles. He could be a factor in the Patriots' future plans if they can help him improve those areas of his fundamentals that need work.

Bryan Stork: The Patriots were not content to simply re-sign Wendell and call it a day at center, instead bringing his competition into the fold. Stork has the athleticism to get out to the second level, and has the awareness and football intelligence to handle protection assignments in the NFL. He has good size at 6-foot-3 and 315 pounds, but short arms at 32.5 inches and tends to also get stood up at the line of scrimmage instead of staying low; those shortcomings have not prevented him from playing at a high level, as he won the Rimington Trophy as the top center in the nation in 2013.

Braxston Cave: Cave joined the Patriots shortly after the conclusion of training camp last year, and spent the 2013 season on the practice squad. The undrafted free-agent out of Notre Dame is regarded for his quickness off the snap and ability to get leverage on defenders, but he has short arms at just 32 inches long and is short on athleticism as well.

Prediction:

Center:

1. Ryan Wendell
    2. Bryan Stork

Guard:

1. Logan Mankins
    2. Dan Connolly
    3. Jon Halapio
    4. Josh Kline
    5. Braxston Cave *

* = projected cut

Analysis:

Their continued praise for Kline, along with the draft selection of Halapio, could be seen as the writing on the wall for Connolly. The Patriots can save $3 million in cap space by cutting him this offseason, and there is the possibility that Halapio could beat him out for the starting job. That hasn't happened yet, so we'll leave Connolly on the roster for now, but this is a fluid situation worth monitoring all the way through training camp and the preseason.

"

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2014/07/ryan_wendell_and_dan_connolly_have_legitimate_comp.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB's OL draft choices are really for 2015.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

BB's OL draft choices are really for 2015.

maybe they can contribute by the end of this season :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Jon Halapio will start at right guard and if everything is right in the world Braxston Cave will make the squad and start at center, or I'll be wrong about Stork and his technician skills will be so solid he won't be denied.  

We need more people moving skills inside, Halapio is a great start at guard, but center has to be upgraded as well.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

See this as roster depth/ positional battles in camp. Solder is a FA next year (I think) and if the past proves anything it proves that you need depth at OL and DL to be a legit contender. Mankins' contract increases etc. If Seabass gets injured and then someone else (Cannon) this depth will be needed. It could be a big part of the 2015 2016 OL. Curious to see what this years OL schemes look like post-Scar era.

I do have a concern about LB depth.  Need Mayo and Hightower to be healthy throughout the entire season. Not to sure about the depth there. Might need a closer look. Obviously Collins has tremendous potential. Potential to be the best LB in this unit eventually.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

See this as roster depth/ positional battles in camp. Solder is a FA next year (I think) and if the past proves anything it proves that you need depth at OL and DL to be a legit contender. Mankins' contract increases etc. If Seabass gets injured and then someone else (Cannon) this depth will be needed. It could be a big part of the 2015 2016 OL. Curious to see what this years OL schemes look like post-Scar era.

I do have a concern about LB depth.  Need Mayo and Hightower to be healthy throughout the entire season. Not to sure about the depth there. Might need a closer look. Obviously Collins has tremendous potential. Potential to be the best LB in this unit eventually.

good points

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

All I know is, I don't want Brady near the top in the league all year long and then crap himself in the title game again. I just can't take it.

Regular season stats mean jack squat come playoff time.

JACK SQUAT

All these rankings and stats have come from fantasy football and the geeks that never could play sports, who try to exist vicariously through it with that. 

Give me a 90% October Brady in January/Feb and we win it all. It's that simple.

No one would mind if you became a fan of some other team.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

good points

I think it is a pretty good assumption based on DaveD as the coach and the draft, this is going to change from a pulling, finesse OL where quick feet were important, to smashmouth, where blocking in space and size/strength is needed. 

This bodes well for Vollmer and Mankins. I would think Halapio is in the mix immediately.

I was also told Cave is ahead of Stork at the moment, which makes sense given his time with the team. 

I am still very interested in seeing Cannon at starting G, and 2-3 years down the road Cannon and Halapio as the starting G's

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:

good points

I think it is a pretty good assumption based on DaveD as the coach and the draft, this is going to change from a pulling, finesse OL where quick feet were important, to smashmouth, where blocking in space and size/strength is needed. 

This bodes well for Vollmer and Mankins. I would think Halapio is in the mix immediately.

I was also told Cave is ahead of Stork at the moment, which makes sense given his time with the team. 

I am still very interested in seeing Cannon at starting G, and 2-3 years down the road Cannon and Halapio as the starting G's

I like the long-term outlook for out OL, and by long-term I mean starting about week 10 or 12 of this season.  Yes, there will be some growing pains early with the infusion of youth that NE has collected, but I really like the young talent that we have collected.  I'm on the Braxton Cave bandwagon and I think he will make the team, possibly even as a suprise week 1 starter if the rumored weight gain is in fact true.  Stork is a lock to make it, even if he doesn't contribute right away due to his draft status and future upside.  This scenario would leave Wendell and Connelly on real thin ice to even make the roster.  I think 1 or both of them is gone.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I like the long-term outlook for out OL, and by long-term I mean starting about week 10 or 12 of this season.  Yes, there will be some growing pains early with the infusion of youth that NE has collected, but I really like the young talent that we have collected.  I'm on the Braxton Cave bandwagon and I think he will make the team, possibly even as a suprise week 1 starter if the rumored weight gain is in fact true.  Stork is a lock to make it, even if he doesn't contribute right away due to his draft status and future upside.  This scenario would leave Wendell and Connelly on real thin ice to even make the roster.  I think 1 or both of them is gone.  

I would agree about Connelly and Wendell, especially Wendell. Unless Wendell got significantly bigger and stronger I don't see him coming close to making this team.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

All I know is, I don't want Brady near the top in the league all year long and then crap himself in the title game again. I just can't take it.

Regular season stats mean jack squat come playoff time.

JACK SQUAT

All these rankings and stats have come from fantasy football and the geeks that never could play sports, who try to exist vicariously through it with that. 

Give me a 90% October Brady in January/Feb and we win it all. It's that simple.

Actually, in a way, they do mean something. If Brady was putting up numbers similar to Carson Palmer or Eli Manning (when he's having one of his bad-average years) in the regular season, I bet this team would be in more trouble than if he is putting up numbers like he usually does. Luckily, the suckiness of the division lessens the importance, but if we played in a division like the NFC West, the importance would elevate.

If we're focusing on just top of the league QB numbers, sure...but saying that they don't matter at all isn't true because they do matter when you look at the effect of his performance on the team as a whole.

I will agree that I'll take good playoff performance over good regular season performance...but this should go without saying.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Lots of comments offered as to how bad the division is. But it is not. Both the Jets and Dolphins are roughly 500 teams. Bills have real problems but they are clearly a tough team, not a gimme. ANd of course the Pats. 

The one thing you can say before the season is that there is only one bona fide major team. But as a whole the division is competitive. More than the AFC South. More than the AFC North (as of this moment anyway). As competitive as AFC west (KC looks like a 500 team ROUGHLY and so does SD and Oakland is certainly no better than the Bills and arguably a good step down from the Bills). There is no Pats level team in NFC North. The NFC east is competitive but no big time team (Philly has to prove itself and they lost one of their two big play makers). That leaves only the NFC South and West. The West is currently the best division (after years of being the worst) and the South is a little inconsistent... what are the Falcons? Will the Saints improve or regress (hard to say for sure)... But I would say that division is the second best at this time.

So the AFC East is in the group of divisions after those two. So either all but two divisions suck or the AFC east is simply a fairly typical division...

!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think Cannon has a big year.  He needs to set himself up for a payday, and this is a contract year.  I'm not sure he will be with the Pats past this year with all the depth we just accumulated and the considerable difference in price.  That being the case, you can bet his agent is letting him know he needs to show up on other teams radar, and he has progressed very well thus far. 

• Sections
    Shortcuts