ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib "get too expensive.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib "get too expensive.

ESPN Boston says free agent CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib "get too expensive."

Beat writer Mike Reiss "thinks" the Patriots have "always thought highly of" DRC, and he's one name that could be at the "top of the list." The Philadelphia Inquirer expects Rodgers-Cromartie to command "big money" on the open market, while the Sideline View's Adam Caplan doesn't expect to see DRC back with the Eagles. Turning 27 in April, DRC checks in as our No. 7 free-agent corner in a stocked defensive backs class.

Source: ESPN Boston
    Feb 14 - 2:21 PM

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib

could be a good fit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib

Why would Talib be more expensive then DRC is my question. DRC is more durable, just as talented, just as inconsistent (work ethic), just about same production, and without the looming suspension red flag of a failed drug test or off field issues. If anything DRC should receive better contract offers then Talib

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Like the article suggests, I think he's going to want to get paid even though his play in Philadelphia doesn't really warrant it. He's a tall guy at 6'2 but he's pretty lanky, seems like he would get bullied around a bit by the bigger, more physical receivers. I'd rather pay Talib than DRC.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I think Philly wants to keep him, it's just a question if they can sign him or afford to tag him. Nnamdi Asomugha will likely get whacked so tagging Cromartie will then be affordable.

I'll tell you what...Cromartie is a ball hawk who was a stud in Arizona. He's been stuck in Andy Reids disfunctional system for 2 years but would play well here. Plays much tighter man to man than Talib.

I would take him over Talib anyday but I don't think Philly lets him go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think they both get that $20-$24 for 3 year range. Pats cant afford that if they sign Vollmer and a WR

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

If they both wanted the same money, I'd take DRC over Talib.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I think you are all going to be shocked at Talib's assesment of his value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

In a heartbeat

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I agree with this also.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

In what way?

He's gonna ask for bookoo bucks....

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why would Talib be more expensive then DRC is my question. DRC is more durable, just as talented, just as inconsistent (work ethic), just about same production, and without the looming suspension red flag of a failed drug test or off field issues. If anything DRC should receive better contract offers then Talib

The main reason is that the team spent half of the year talking about what a special player he is and how much he brings to the team. He may not end up getting money but knowing this guy he sure thinks he deserves it now

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

As I have said on other threads, I think there are a number of interesting corners on the FA market and I would much rather give RCM a five year creatively structured deal (big bonus and some back loading) than Talib. Same with Grimes if the medicals look right and you build in some protection for future problems with the same ankle. Problem with Talib is you just don't know what will happen with him.

I am not opposed to big money being committed at CB and with players other than Talib you can afford to make cap management moves that would allow you to sign Vollmer and Welker or another WR. With Talib you are afraid becuase he could explode in your face and so you can't make the initial bonus payment or guaranteed years that you can with a more reliable player.

I would add Asomugha to the list if as expected Philly cuts him. I haven't really understood what happened in Philly, but it seemed very disfunctional and a lot of good players went there and destroyed their reps.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

As I have said on other threads, I think there are a number of interesting corners on the FA market and I would much rather give RCM a five year creatively structured deal (big bonus and some back loading) than Talib. Same with Grimes if the medicals look right and you build in some protection for future problems with the same ankle. Problem with Talib is you just don't know what will happen with him.

I am not opposed to big money being committed at CB and with players other than Talib you can afford to make cap management moves that would allow you to sign Vollmer and Welker or another WR. With Talib you are afraid becuase he could explode in your face and so you can't make the initial bonus payment or guaranteed years that you can with a more reliable player.

I would add Asomugha to the list if as expected Philly cuts him. I haven't really understood what happened in Philly, but it seemed very disfunctional and a lot of good players went there and destroyed their reps.

I think it may have been to do with the fact they wanted him to play mainly zone in Philly whereas he made his name playing man coverage in Oakland. Which could be good for the Pats a cover corner is necessary, the more the better

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In what way?

How do you know that? I am trying to figure out what leverage he has to do that. Who is the top corner in FA?  Rodgers-Cromartie?

Whoever the deemed top CB is, that's the market and Talib will come in under that. 

He can ask for whatever he wants, but I'd be surprised if any team just throws the moon at him.   He was traded mid year, has a back history and also did't get a chance to shine in the postseason. To me, all of that favors BB in terms of getting him back under good cap control at the position.

The best fit for Talib, IMO, is here. I think he knows that. He starts tossing out wild proposals, and he's going to isloate himself.

At worst, BB will push up his cost for any other team like he did with Laron, right Queenie?

dude that's the funniest post Ive seen my entire time on this board LMFAO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In what way?

How do you know that? I am trying to figure out what leverage he has to do that. Who is the top corner in FA?  Rodgers-Cromartie?

Whoever the deemed top CB is, that's the market and Talib will come in under that. 

He can ask for whatever he wants, but I'd be surprised if any team just throws the moon at him.   He was traded mid year, has a back history and also did't get a chance to shine in the postseason. To me, all of that favors BB in terms of getting him back under good cap control at the position.

The best fit for Talib, IMO, is here. I think he knows that. He starts tossing out wild proposals, and he's going to isloate himself.

his leverage with the pats is how bad ur defense looked against the pass the minute he left the afccg...

then again it wasn't that good while he was in their either 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm not going to be shocked one bit. Players overvalue themselves all the time. Heck I would too and do when I negotiate salaries for a new job. It would only shock me if he gets what he thinks his value is

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Please explain the cap management moves?

Sections
Shortcuts