ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib "get too expensive.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib

In response to danemcmenamin's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Why would Talib be more expensive then DRC is my question. DRC is more durable, just as talented, just as inconsistent (work ethic), just about same production, and without the looming suspension red flag of a failed drug test or off field issues. If anything DRC should receive better contract offers then Talib

The main reason is that the team spent half of the year talking about what a special player he is and how much he brings to the team. He may not end up getting money but knowing this guy he sure thinks he deserves it now

Thinking he deserves it and what he can get are two different things. In the end I don't think Talib will get as much as DRC simply because DRC is less of a suspension concern and is more durable. But, it wouldn't shock me if Talib thought he was worth more at all

As for who I'd rather have, truthfully I'd rather have Talib. I know he might not make it through the season and I know he might not be on his best behavior but depending on demand his contract could be more incentive based then DRC's which would protect the team and we know Talib can play in the system. How many guys come in and can't play in the Pats system? I'd rather take the known then the unknown. If there aren't measures built in to the contract to protect the team then the higher the price the more I'd want DRC.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: ominique Rodgers-Cromartie is one name the Patriots might consider should Aqib Talib

Free agent CB's

Talib-most talented, questionable reliability to stay on the field with nagging injuries, numerous off field incidents.

Grimes-equally minor, minor notch below Talib talent wise, durable prior to the Achilles. falcons want him back and he wants to play for the Falcons assuming money is there

Williams-not the athlete that Talib is, better against the run than pass. Durable. Ravens may not be able to afford him

Smith-great size and speed, unproductive on the field. Could the Pats coaches coach him up in this system? Based on otherCB struggles, seems not. 

Pats might have the luxury with McCourt to sign a S and move McCourt to CB

Goldson-big hitter, sure tackler, above average for a pass defending the pass. Will cost CB type money, San Fran may franchise him

Byrd-ball hawk, good against the run. Also will cost CB type money and Bills will go all out to sign him

Reed-enough has already been said

Moore-interesting target. Not as good as the above mentioned but certainly could be affordable

Delmas-very TA,enter, very injury prone

Bottom line, there will be many teams that turn their heads on Talib's off field issues and his nagging issues and offer him 3/$24. I don't see Pats matching that number. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to mia76's comment:

As I have said on other threads, I think there are a number of interesting corners on the FA market and I would much rather give RCM a five year creatively structured deal (big bonus and some back loading) than Talib. Same with Grimes if the medicals look right and you build in some protection for future problems with the same ankle. Problem with Talib is you just don't know what will happen with him.

I am not opposed to big money being committed at CB and with players other than Talib you can afford to make cap management moves that would allow you to sign Vollmer and Welker or another WR. With Talib you are afraid becuase he could explode in your face and so you can't make the initial bonus payment or guaranteed years that you can with a more reliable player.

I would add Asomugha to the list if as expected Philly cuts him. I haven't really understood what happened in Philly, but it seemed very disfunctional and a lot of good players went there and destroyed their reps.

Please explain the cap management moves?

There are a number of cap management moves you could make:

14' is a year the cap explodes so you can sign players to normal signing bonuses with roster based bonuses that auto kick in with easy incentives for 14' year as enhanced signing bonuses. ie. Vollmer, you could sign him to a 5yr $35mil deal with $9mil signing bonus and structured that $2mil is first year of salary and the second year guaranteed if he plays 4 games in 13' at $2.5mil with a roster bonus of $3.5mil. That makes his cap hit this year at just below $4mil then double next year under the roster bonus which would essentially be guaranteed since they wouldn't cut due to the pending dead money. That would artifically inflate his signing bonus from $9mil to around $15mil and you can do the same for the following year making the contract even more attractive without compramising your ability to sign players in the near or short term because of the cap expansion in 14'

Additionally you have Wilfork and Brady having two large cap hit numbers which they can convert portions of their base salary to guaranteed money through bonus which gets spread over the remaining length of the contract. It's a great way to reduce the cap hit at minimum by 50% of what's converted

They have plenty of ways to play around with it. $18mil in cap space is a ton of space with the right management. Enough to resign all 3 of the big contracts we have, most of the little contracts, the draft, and enough to sign depth and a couple minor starting caliber players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

There's no question  we should sign the MOST TALENTED CB that we can. Yet we already have a  supposedly very talented CB who stays injured most of the time. Of what value is talent when not accompanied by PT where a CBs value can be manifest?

Granted Talib has talent but what of his work ethic, lack of commitment to be the best? Perhaps some of the "muscle pulls" would not be such an issue if he had a better work ethic to keep his muscles limber?

One could make a case for signing Talib if his salary demands reflect his past PT. Salary protection against off-field issues could provide additional protection to the Pats and offer additional incentive for Talib to not stray.

Despite what CB we do sign in FA we still need to search for CB protection in the draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

As I have said on other threads, I think there are a number of interesting corners on the FA market and I would much rather give RCM a five year creatively structured deal (big bonus and some back loading) than Talib. Same with Grimes if the medicals look right and you build in some protection for future problems with the same ankle. Problem with Talib is you just don't know what will happen with him.

I am not opposed to big money being committed at CB and with players other than Talib you can afford to make cap management moves that would allow you to sign Vollmer and Welker or another WR. With Talib you are afraid becuase he could explode in your face and so you can't make the initial bonus payment or guaranteed years that you can with a more reliable player.

I would add Asomugha to the list if as expected Philly cuts him. I haven't really understood what happened in Philly, but it seemed very disfunctional and a lot of good players went there and destroyed their reps.

14' is a year the cap explodes so you can sign players to normal signing bonuses with roster based bonuses that auto kick in with easy incentives for 14' year as enhanced signing bonuses. ie. Vollmer, you could sign him to a 5yr $35mil deal with $9mil signing bonus and structured that $2mil is first year of salary and the second year guaranteed if he plays 4 games in 13' at $2.5mil with a roster bonus of $3.5mil. That makes his cap hit this year at just below $4mil then double next year under the roster bonus which would essentially be guaranteed since they wouldn't cut due to the pending dead money. That would artifically inflate his signing bonus from $9mil to around $15mil and you can do the same for the following year making the contract even more attractive without compramising your ability to sign players in the near or short term because of the cap expansion in 14'

Additionally you have Wilfork and Brady having two large cap hit numbers which they can convert portions of their base salary to guaranteed money through bonus which gets spread over the remaining length of the contract. It's a great way to reduce the cap hit at minimum by 50% of what's converted

They have plenty of ways to play around with it. $18mil in cap space is a ton of space with the right management. Enough to resign all 3 of the big contracts we have, most of the little contracts, the draft, and enough to sign depth and a couple minor starting caliber players.

Thanks for answering the question. Specific to a player like Talib, a team would be leery of a large signing bonus because that is 'guaranteed' money in the players pocket before he takes the field. And it is lost money if he gets suspended or flakes out on you. Signing bonus is the easiest way to shift money from early years to late years in a contract while keeping the player happy with the early years' cash in hand. A four year 32M contract with 8M signing and salaries of 1M,3M,6M,10M with the first two yrs and guaranteed and a 4M roster bonus in the third year has cap numbers of 3M, 5M,12M,12M - and the player has 9M in hand the first year, 12M over 2 years. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

when the salary cap will rise?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

every year, but 14' is expected to be the biggest jump because the TV contracts renew

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

every year, but 14' is expected to be the biggest jump because the TV contracts renew

I believe it's 2015, not 2014.  So, post 2014 season. So, it's two more full seasons of a tight cap, pretty much not moving much from the 2009 number.

I believe the intent here was for to allow a lot of the struggling franchises to catch up in a bad economy, get their ducks in a row, because they have to hit a cap floor by then as well.  That's why you see Cincy with a lot of room. Jax.  The big concern would still be overpaying on the market by those teams in the next 2 years.   IMO, you want to be looking at guys in their rookie deals about to ascend to elite players by 2015, and go after those players where you have a need then (after the 2014 season).

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/03/report-nfl-salary-cap-to-remain-flat.html

Thanks for the correction. I thought it was 14' but my mistake.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

this is the problem, Brady has only 1 additional year on his contract. The most the Pats can convert this year is his $5million dollar bonus. That makes Brady's cap hit next year $28 million.
    you are also incorrect about the cap increasing so much in 2014. Although the cap numbers for 2013, 2014 and 2015 still can be negotiated, projections point to very little increase. The cap may rise by only $300,000 in 2013, going to around $120.9 million. Even though increased network television money is coming in 2014, the cap is projected to go only into the $121-plus million range.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I believe it's 2015, not 2014.  So, post 2014 season. So, it's two more full seasons of a tight cap, pretty much not moving much from the 2009 number.

I believe the intent here was for to allow a lot of the struggling franchises to catch up in a bad economy, get their ducks in a row, because they have to hit a cap floor by then as well.  That's why you see Cincy with a lot of room. Jax.  The big concern would still be overpaying on the market by those teams in the next 2 years.   IMO, you want to be looking at guys in their rookie deals about to ascend to elite players by 2015, and go after those players where you have a need then (after the 2014 season).

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/03/report-nfl-salary-cap-to-remain-flat.html

Thanks for the correction. I thought it was 14' but my mistake.

No problem. I think the reason why you may have thought that is because people like Greg Bedard and others like to speculate before getting the facts.

Once I saw Kraft's comments 18 months ago, I knew he was hinting at it being 2015, not 2013 or 2014.  If anyone is going to know the movement of the money in the tv world, it's Kraft.

So, basically NE has 2 years to figure out which still peak performers at which positions they want to add to the roster, on both sides of the ball. For all the teams that totally ignored the unknowns of the lockout and maybe didn't draft well the last few years, BB is sitting pretty.

I still feel terribly sorry for all those teams that ignored the impending doom that was the NFL lockout, it really screwed up the entire league. I mean teams were cutting high priced players left and right - then we just swooped in and gobbled them all up at discount prices...it's how we won our 4th and 5th Super Bowls. And look at us now, we are the only team in the entire league under the salary cap, we have the youngest (and best defense) in the league, we are stocked with draft picks for years to come, and all our second round selections are just coming into their own. The warnings were out people. You don't see us having to trade mid round picks to cover up for draft blunders, nor do you see us hand 12 million dollar contracts to defensive linemen with bum knees out of desperation...it's why we keep on winning these damn Super Bowls! Now if only we could do something about this spoiled QB that we have...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

You're so dumb. His contract RUNS THROUGH 2014 (season). 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.  Those are the year of his deal. Kraft knew the cap woudn't jump. They're 25 steps ahead of you, RKarp. The cap jumps significantly in 2015.

They've already budgeted for this contract. 

The cap will jump and jump big with a floor in 2015, so if they need to give Brady a new deal, if he's still healthy, playing well at age 37, etc, then they have plenty of room to do that.

"Brady's contract is worth $72 million and guarantees him $48.5 million, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The extension, which will be filed with the league Friday, will be added onto the final year of Brady's contract and runs through 2014, when he will be 37. Brady, 33, has said he wants to play until he's 40."

as usual, you are wrong. If the Pats defer any of Bradys money this year, they can only defer it into next year. (2014) That would bump his 2014 salary to $28 million. There is zero wiggle room on what the PAts can with Bradys contract this year to help the cap, that can be defered past 2014.

Yes, the cap inceases in 2015. No one knows how much. But do you think Brady is going to sign a 1 year contract? Brady in his 38th year (2015) will want to sign a 5 year contract for $100 million with $50 million guaranteed....

Do the Pats sign him?

Learn the cap rules, and learn the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

You're so dumb. His contract RUNS THROUGH 2014 (season). 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014.  Those are the year of his deal. Kraft knew the cap woudn't jump. They're 25 steps ahead of you, RKarp. The cap jumps significantly in 2015.

The cap will jump and jump big with a floor in 2015, so if they need to give Brady a new deal, if he's still healthy, playing well at age 37, etc, then they have plenty of room to do that.

"Brady's contract is worth $72 million and guarantees him $48.5 million, a source familiar with the deal told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The extension, which will be filed with the league Friday, will be added onto the final year of Brady's contract and runs through 2014, when he will be 37. Brady, 33, has said he wants to play until he's 40."

as usual, you are wrong. If the Pats defer any of Bradys money this year, they can only defer it into next year. (2014) That would bump his 2014 salary to $28 million. There is zero wiggle room on what the PAts can with Bradys contract this year to help the cap, that can be defered past 2014.

Yes, the cap inceases in 2015. No one knows how much. But do you think Brady is going to sign a 1 year contract? Brady in his 38th year (2015) will want to sign a 5 year contract for $100 million with $50 million guaranteed....

Do the Pats sign him?

"learn the game"

babe, is that you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

Game over. Rusty bludgeoned again. Rkarp-103. Rusty-0.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

just because ol' jints agrees with you, doesnt mean you're right.

however, i will say that the brady cap hit may become a problem. i hope it doesnt, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see. maybe by the time brady is 38, the pats have their qb of the future....whether that be ryan mallett, alex smith, or someone else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

however, i will say that the brady cap hit may become a problem. i hope it doesnt, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see. maybe by the time brady is 38, the pats have their qb of the future....whether that be ryan mallett, alex smith, or someone else.

all I know RSF is that the Pats are in fantastic unbelievable position and the other 31 teams are treading water as far as the sacred be and end all known as the "cap" goes

we all need that damn BB Blueprint that we all stole to win in the Pats era!  : )

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

It actually means he's wrong. If a troll agreed with me, I'd be concerned. lol

yeah but NO ONE agrees with you usually-which is ur real problem!!!  :  )

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

all I know RSF is that the Pats are in fantastic unbelievable position and the other 31 teams are treading water as far as the sacred be and end all known as the "cap" goes

we all need that damn BB Blueprint that we all stole to win in the Pats era!  : )

i didnt say that.....all im saying is that its ridiculous to say that the pats are in a bad spot. they have a good group of veteran leaders and a solid core of young and up and coming players. they still have areas to improve, but overall im not going to complain.

as long as the patriots elite players, play like they are capable of, they will have a shot to win the lombardi. will they? well noone knows, but they have been pretty close the past couple of years even with key injuries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

i didnt say that.....all im saying is that its ridiculous to say that the pats are in a bad spot. they have a good group of veteran leaders and a solid core of young and up and coming players. they still have areas to improve, but overall im not going to complain.

as long as the patriots elite players, play like they are capable of, they will have a shot to win the lombardi. will they? well noone knows, but they have been pretty close the past couple of years even with key injuries.

when have I ever said what u say here is wrong?

i wasn't talking to u or any other sane or semi-sane person here, fan or not

i was responding to rusty, which is a whole other ball of was as they say!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Do the Pats sign him?

BRAVO! HEAR HEAR!

(STANDS AND APPLAUDS)

when have I ever said what u say here is wrong?

i wasn't talking to u or any other sane or semi-sane person here, fan or not

i was responding to rusty, which is a whole other ball of was as they say!

my bad i guess, but your last post was a reply to my post....and i had said that "just because jints agrees with you, doesnt mean you are right". wasnt meandt as derrogatory, i kinda just wanted rkarp to get off his high horse there.