On Paper: Dolphins better than Patriots.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: On Paper: Dolphins better than Patriots.

In response to 42AND46's comment:

bit off subject but i see now how right u were about the giants "salary cap hell" now that they have signed both nicks and cruz (to a 6 year deal)

Nicks is still on his rookie deal.  Where have you seen anything about an extension?  Every report I read said they weren't even close on negotiations and now that they have signed Cruz it makes it more likely Nicks walks after the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Good thing the games are played on the field and not paper or opinion, if that was the case the Jets would have 20 SB rings by now!!!!

One shot one kill! The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.

George S Patton Jr

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not as much as not having a Brady will hurt the rest of the division. Learn the game.

will truly be a sad day when he is gone.  IMO, BB/Patriots should consider trading him soon while he still has value.

[/QUOTE]

Trade him? Why, so BB can make some crappy draft picks? No. Ride this horse into the ground and hope somebody we have emerges to elevate the team around Brady into something more than mediocrity.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

As I said in another thread the Fins offense was putrid last season.  This offseason they lost their best offensive lineman and their best offensive weapon in Bush and added Wallace.  Against the Pats D that the OP criticizes the Fins put up 16 points and gave up 10 sacks in 2 games.  The Patriots have a HoF QB and coach and the Fins have a high school offense.  Who do you think is going to score more points?  The Fins are the most overhyped team in the NFL just like the Bills were last offseason.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

bit off subject but i see now how right u were about the giants "salary cap hell" now that they have signed both nicks and cruz (to a 6 year deal)

Nicks is still on his rookie deal.  Where have you seen anything about an extension?  Every report I read said they weren't even close on negotiations and now that they have signed Cruz it makes it more likely Nicks walks after the season.

[/QUOTE]

6 yrs 45 mill

and why is it "more likely" nicks leaves? my guess is if he stays healthy and has usual good yr he gets deal similar to cruz, give or take

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

6 yrs 45 mill

and why is it "more likely" nicks leaves? my guess is if he stays healthy and has usual good yr he gets deal similar to cruz, give or take

You said they "signed" both Nicks and Cruz.  Both have always been under contract coming into this season from their previous deals so the simplest interpretation is that you meant they were both extended (which is what the entire debate about the salary cap was about anyways).  Only Cruz has been extended.  Cruz's signing makes Nicks more likely to walk because most teams don't have the cap room or desire to hand out large deals to more than 1 WR.  Perhaps the Giants are different, but given how close up against the cap they are this year and the fact that guys like Tuck, Joseph and Diehl will all be FA after the season it isn't so obvious they will want to or be able to sign Nicks (particularly since he seems to want to get paid).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not as much as not having a Brady will hurt the rest of the division. Learn the game.

will truly be a sad day when he is gone.  IMO, BB/Patriots should consider trading him soon while he still has value.

[/QUOTE]

Trade him? Why, so BB can make some crappy draft picks? No. Ride this horse into the ground and hope somebody we have emerges to elevate the team around Brady into something more than mediocrity.

[/QUOTE]

You mean he might make crappy picks like he did with Ridley, Vereen, Solder, Gronkowski, Hernandez (before he turned bad), Mayo, Spikes, and McCourty?

The Patriots have averaged twelve wins a year in the last five years and more than that in the last dozen.  That is nowhere near being mediocre. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

6 yrs 45 mill

You said they "signed" both Nicks and Cruz.  Both have always been under contract coming into this season from their previous deals so the simplest interpretation is that you meant they were both extended (which is what the entire debate about the salary cap was about anyways).  Only Cruz has been extended.  Cruz's signing makes Nicks more likely to walk because most teams don't have the cap room or desire to hand out large deals to more than 1 WR.  Perhaps the Giants are different, but given how close up against the cap they are this year and the fact that guys like Tuck, Joseph and Diehl will all be FA after the season it isn't so obvious they will want to or be able to sign Nicks (particularly since he seems to want to get paid).

[/QUOTE]

Good job slapping him.  Nicks is gone. Cap hell.

[/QUOTE]

yep-just like cruz was

btw cruz by himself is better than ur entire group of wr's combined  Surprised

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

6 yrs 45 mill

i phrased it that way b/cif u recall they weren't supposed to be able to sign cruz to an extension this year as per a certain cap "expert"/fanatic and what actually started the entire debate was how there was a really good chance cruz would be signed by a team that could "afford' to pay him more than the giants (because jerry reese and the giants don't understand how the cap works or how to build a team you see)

as we see that 0-2 roll up on the scoreboard i will say i understand i should have said"cruz was extended" so he and nicks are back on the field together this year (see above for why they weren't supposed to be)

and that leads to the idea that it is "more likely" nicks leaves after this year which i can understand but don't see as happening based on the names u specifically brought up-tuck and diehl will probably not be back and linval joseph will not command huge money-and i can see nicks ending up with a similar situation/deal as cruz with a little reworking/restructuring of a contract or two or some astute jerry reese financial management-if only he could call bill bellichick and have him explain how that cap thing works!

now you said nicks "seems to want to get paid"...how dare he?!

but at least with that criteria giants fans won't have to worry about the patriots signing him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Patriots:

notable losses:

Wes Welker

Hernandez

Woodhead

Lloyd

Gronk*

Brady threw for 4,827 yards in 2012.. over 70% of those yards were gained by players who are no longer with the team. Are you seriously trying to tell me that Amendola, Edleman and company are going to pick up that slack?? The Patriots offense is not going to be as strong as it was last season. Sorry to burst your bubble... good news for you is that your D is going to get better with it's additions and natural progression.

Meanwhile down in Miami, we've upgraded our WRs, upgraded @ TE, upgraded our D ends, upgraded @ linebacker, upgraded cornerback by leaps and bounds. Also consider that our safety tandem (Clemons and Jones) is widely regarded as a top 10 duo going into the 2013 season.
     The only downgrades we made are at RB (moving away from the running game and towards a spread offense anyway) and OL. The loss of Jake Long was big but he was a non-factor all last season due to injury and our Oline still wasn't bad.

Like i said in the OP, the Patriots took a step back for sure (how much of a step back remains to be seen) and the Phins took a step forward for sure. Is it enough to close the gap? who knows. that's why they play the games. but i will say this, if there was ever a year where the patriots status as top dog was in doubt it's this one.. big losses, off-field distractions, not the strongest draft.

in response to all the people who discredit the phins solely because the Bills and Eagles spent money in the offseason and didn't perform. I'll trade you one bad comparison for another... The yankees lost 178 of their 245 home runs in 2012 (over 70%)  and just like the Pats expected an injury prone player (youk/amendola) and role players to replace that production. Now as the all-star break approaches they sit in 4th place.

expecting players who are ill equipped to replace surpeme production is foolhardy. Uncle Bill has some work to do on the offensive side of the ball or the Pats could be looking up at the Phins come November...

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

I opened this thread with high hopes that there might be an engaging discussion about an actual competitive rival for the Pats within the division this year . . .

then I read "the Tanimal" in the second sentence and I just stopped.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

LMAO! sorry bout that. just trying out different names for the kid. I'll stick to "Tanne" for now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

MEF could you please pass the pipe pronto? You are sucking down all the good stuff. 

it's a dolphins bong actually. but i don't think you'd want it nor would i feel comfortable passing it to you :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

"TB is the 2nd best QB in the league and one of the greatest ever."

who is the first best QB?, it eludes me.

Aaron Rodgers is the best in the game right now. TB is easily a top 5 QB all time and second best in the league ATM.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not a very insightful post to initiate the thread. Just wishful thinking.

BOTTOM LINE: Pats have one of the top O's in a league where O dominates. Fins are fishing and hoping that losing a stud tackle and their best player out of the back field will be made up by a not so smart WR who does have speed and by a TE who can catch but is nit much of a blocker (so might as well use a WR instead???). Fins just wont have the O to compete.

On D Pats have question marks but are both improving and have a high up side. Likely they will be at least one solid notch better than last year and have more chance for an even greater improvement than the Fins. Fins can be tough but not dominant unless they have very good match ups.

Coaching - Pats win hands down.

Overall.... Fins? Really? Let us know when you wake up. - though they will be the second best team in the Division they are too far back to catch the Pats this year.

Last nail in the coffin: TB

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Not a very insightful post to initiate the thread. Just wishful thinking.

BOTTOM LINE: Pats have one of the top O's in a league where O dominates. Fins are fishing and hoping that losing a stud tackle and their best player out of the back field will be made up by a not so smart WR who does have speed and by a TE who can catch but is nit much of a blocker (so might as well use a WR instead???). Fins just wont have the O to compete.

On D Pats have question marks but are both improving and have a high up side. Likely they will be at least one solid notch better than last year and have more chance for an even greater improvement than the Fins. Fins can be tough but not dominant unless they have very good match ups.

Coaching - Pats win hands down.

Overall.... Fins? Really? Let us know when you wake up. - though they will be the second best team in the Division they are too far back to catch the Pats this year.

Last nail in the coffin: TB

I agree that the Patriots are still the better team, but I am not sure you can project the Patriots offense based on last years team. Amendola may step right in and replace Welker, but they still need to replace Hernandez, Lloyd and Woodhead (their second, fourth and fifth leading receivers last year). That also presumes Gronk is healthy for a whole season.

What makes you say the Patriots defense has more chance for improvement than the Patriots? If the lose Dennard to this DUI thing, we are back wondering who are starting CBs are again. I also would question Talib's long term health (I am guessing there is a reason he only got a 1-year deal). He has not actually finished a season healthy since 2009.

Summary, I think the Patriots are still the best team in the division, but the Dolphins are not as far back as you might think.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Many of you misguided Wink patriots fans have said the Dolphins biggest weakness going into 2013 is their running game. Headed by 2nd year back Lamar Miller and 3rd year let-down Daniel Thomas the expectations are not very high. But over this past week a lot of articles about Miller are popping up. Currently he is working out with 49'ers RB Frank Gore and i have to say my outlook on Miller is getting brighter. His speed is eye-opening (surely will be one of the fastest backs in the league) and he is getting much stronger. this summer spent working with Gore seems to have put him in a prime position for a breakout year.

"Niners running back Frank Gore has spent the summer with Lamar Miller, the second-year Dolphins back who's penciled in to start this season. The two are working out together at Bommarito Performance Systems in North Miami Beach, and Gore's influence has paid dividends. Pete Bommarito runs the training facility where a collection of NFL players gather daily. After training dozens of backs, including Maurice Jones-Drew, Bommarito said of Miller, "He's the fastest running back I've ever seen. Since Lamar started gravitating toward Frank, his work ethic and mentality are unparalleled."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217442/article/lamar-millers-speed-turning-heads-for-miami-dolphins

While it will be hard to replace Reggie Bush i have confidence that our running game will sort itself out. Miller could do big things this year but the best part is that he doesn't have to... The Dolphins season hinges on Tannehill and the Dolphins front 7. As long as they play to their potential then anything else we get from players like Miller is bonus IMO.

MASTER OF PUPPETS I'M PULLING YOUR STRINGS!!
    TWISTING YOUR MIND AND SMASHING YOUR DREAMS!!
    BLINDED BY ME YOU CAN'T SEE A THING!!
    JUST CALL MY NAME 'CUZ I'LL HEAR YOU SCREAM!!
    MASTER!! MASTER!!