One Gap 3-4 vs. Two Gap 3-4

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

One Gap 3-4 vs. Two Gap 3-4

So I know that there are two different styles of the 3-4 defense - the 1 gap and the 2 gap, but would someone care to explain what the difference is?

I was under the impression that the Pats ran a 2 gap system, but Gerard Warren was quoted as saying that he's playing a 1 gap technique....

So could someone explain the difference between the 1 gap and the 2 gap, and then could someone tell me which style of defense we're running?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Re: One Gap 3-4 vs. Two Gap 3-4

We run a 2 gap.

the down linemen are responsible for pluging designated gaps
    Nose AA
    End BC

The Backers have multiple gap responsibilities as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy

The New England Patriots run a modified base 3-4 Chuck Fairbanks-Hank Bullough system[11] installed by Bill Belichick. The term 3-4 means that their base formation consists of 3 defensive linemen (defensive end, nose tackle, and defensive end), 4 linebackers (outside "Will" weak side linebacker, middle "Jack" weak side linebacker, middle "Mike" strong side linebacker, and outside "Sam" strong side linebacker), and 4 defensive backs (cornerback, free safety, strong safety, and cornerback).[12] It is believed that this 3-4 structure gives the defense the greatest amount of flexibility because the linebackers are among the most versatile players on the defense, capable of rushing the quarterback, tackling runners or dropping into coverage. By mixing the roles of their linebackers from play to play, the Patriots defense seeks to cause confusion on the part of opposing offenses. At times the Patriots will also shade their defensive linemen different ways, creating "over" or "under" defenses. "Over" and "under" defenses simply refer to the shift of the defensive linemen to the strong or weak side of the offense, respectively, and the rotation of the linebackers in the opposite direction.

The "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3-4 system is known as a two gap system, because each of the defensive linemen are required to cover the gaps to both sides of the offensive lineman that try to block them.[13] Defensive linemen in this system tend to be stouter, as they need to be able to hold their place without being overwhelmed in order to allow the linebackers behind them to make plays. This is the reason that defensive linemen such as Richard Seymour and Vince Wilfork do not always rack up sack and tackle statistics despite their critical importance to the team.[14]

The system is at times more conservative than certain other defenses currently in vogue in the league,[15] despite the constant threat of its potent linebacker blitz.[citation needed] The Patriots defensive system generally places an emphasis on physicality and discipline over mobility and risk taking[citation needed] and is sometimes characterized as a "bend but do not break defense".[16]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from reamer. Show reamer's posts

Well, we ran a two-gap. This year we're mixing and matching a lot more. During the preseason game, the DL ran several stunts and slants that are definitely more in keeping with a one-gap philosophy. Welcome to the newer, more aggressive BB defense. :D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

I'm not complaining about a more agressive Belichick defense. Anything this guy does on the defensive side of the ball, I'll back him on it, and a more agressive style of defense will help get the young, athletic guys more involved.

Is it the case that the 2-gap and the 1-gap are equally effective, it's just a matter of what you want to run, and what personel you have?

And from what you guys saw, is it looking like we'll run a hybrid of a 1-gap and a 2-gap, and use them based on the situation and the team?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm not super smart on this but it would seem that the advantage of running a base 3-4 would be the ability to change the assignments from one gap or two gap based on how the defense is called.  With a 3 man rush wouldn't the lineman need to use the two gap technique but if they brought in an OLB in to rush they could switch to one gap for penetration.  It would seem the switching would make it more difficult for the O-lineman.  Anyway that's just a guess and I could be wrong but it's makes sense to switch things up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Once again the difference is overrated. I can say this: BB has never ever played one gap for an entire game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

good info and diagrams here:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: One Gap 3-4 vs. Two Gap 3-4:
    [QUOTE]good info and diagrams here: http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2010/4/7/1407686/3-4-defensive-line-primer
    Posted by TroyBrown80[/QUOTE]

That's a perfect explanation...good stuff...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: One Gap 3-4 vs. Two Gap 3-4:
    [QUOTE]Once again the difference is overrated. I can say this: BB has never ever played one gap for an entire game. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Super Bowl XXXIX?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Ooops, I thought this was a thread about dental health and teeth count in the deep south.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In a two-gap D, the linemen are mostly responsible for holding their position.  The linebackers do most of the attacking.  In a one-gap, the linemen attack their gaps and try to penetrate the backfield.  Usually, two-gap linemen are bigger, more powerful guys, while one-gap linemen are smaller and quicker.  Two-gap is more of a power approach, one-gap more of a quickness approach.  Generally, the personnel BB has picked for the D-line are more two-gap types than one-gap.  But BB may be trying to address the pass rush problem by making the DEs attack more, using a one-gap approach.  There's no reason BB can't create some hybrid scheme where the line (or some parts of it) switch from two-gap to one-gap on certain plays.  That may make our line more aggressive and disruptive, especially against the pass.