One Important Note

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

Re: One Important Note

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

From a strategic approach, even it being early in the year...anyone notice anything about our RBs vs the last 3 seasons or so?

We aren't subbing the RBs to run certain plays (run or pass).  

Sure, some guys might be better at other things than the other, but we aren't running shotgun spreads with a specific  RB (Woodhead) and then running more base plays with an in between the tackles kind of runner (BJGE or RIdley).

Bolden and Ridley were wach targeted with passes today, which is a good sign.  It shows Brady isn't having to throw to just one RB on the roster when that RB is subbed on or off.

Translation? OUr offense is far less predictable than it has been in the last 2 seasons and it's because we walked from Woodhead and Welker, two players who were only effective in limited ways.

If you listen to Bolden, postgame, you can tell this is more about each guy being counted on to run, catch and block and they're only pulled off for a breather.

Personally, I love it. I think it's much, much better.   We just beat a very good front 7 (4 1st rd picks on the D Line) and secondary with 2 rookie WRs and a rookie TE.

Don't sub the RB for the skill sets, watch the offense be less predictable.

If that is what they are doing, I would agree that would be a good thing.  I didn't get to watch the game yesterday so I didn't see what was going on with the running backs.  I hadn't noticed that they were throwing much to Ridley in the first two games.  Did they get him some throws yesterday?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Man...brought back memories of when we killed people with the screen pass...

I'm on record here a a big Bolden supporter.

I'm on record here as letting Blount carry it more...you see him get better and better each time he touched the ball...

I'm also glad that Josh opened up the playbook a bit...not a lot but it's a start.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

He was wide open when Brady took a sack early on, but yes, he took a checkdown underneath later on.  It was great to see.

Even just the Develin use, too. He drew LB coverage away from the underneath area where Thompkins went on his drag route TD.

These are very small things, but I am telling ya, it's killesd us in recent postseasons, not having it or subbing RBs in and out to either run or pass.

This is why I felt Bolden was so vital to the is roster.  Blount is just sort of a reserve guy, but clearly someone who also can chip in.

It kind of reminds me of 2003 with Smith, Faulk, Centers, maybe a Mike Cloud.  2004, Dillon, Faulk, Pass, etc.

It would certainly make sense strategically.  I'm looking forward to Gronkowski being thrown into the mix...hopefully, this week in Atlanta!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In spite of some folks saying Gronk would get some plays in on week one I said after the bye week.

I'm sticking with that.........

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

He was wide open when Brady took a sack early on, but yes, he took a checkdown underneath later on.  It was great to see.

Even just the Develin use, too. He drew LB coverage away from the underneath area where Thompkins went on his drag route TD.

These are very small things, but I am telling ya, it's killesd us in recent postseasons, not having it or subbing RBs in and out to either run or pass.

This is why I felt Bolden was so vital to the is roster.  Blount is just sort of a reserve guy, but clearly someone who also can chip in.

It kind of reminds me of 2003 with Smith, Faulk, Centers, maybe a Mike Cloud.  2004, Dillon, Faulk, Pass, etc.

It would certainly make sense strategically.  I'm looking forward to Gronkowski being thrown into the mix...hopefully, this week in Atlanta!

I'd be shocked if they didn't let him play this week.  I don't get the extra cautious element at this point. If they don't, they should have just put him on the PUP.

He was practicing with the 1s last week, so he has to be very close now.

Sorry, don't mean to take your thread in another direction, but one important element that I think Gronkowski will provide that can only help the rookies, is his goofy attitude.  He always looks so relaxed and he just seems to be having fun out there.  I believe that will rub off on some of these kids we have and allow them to play a little more loose.  I won't be surprised to see our offense erupt big time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

it is huge..personell , formation or down should never telegraph a specific play.

However, that being said I would add that Blount and Bolden make an excellent run the clock out / clinch the game combo. Punishing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Every time Brady checks down to a back I say yeah.... That's what I'm talking about....or have been repeatedly.

Definitely noticed it yesterday on at least 3 occasions.  Simple, right?  Somehow, the " system" didn't allow for it much, meanwhile every team  ( especially sandiego ) ran it against pats with success.

Float the back out after a chip on the DL. Bang ISO on LB... advantage RB.

The subbing was a tell.  The closest thing pats had was woodhead...  WOODHEAD.  He would run , catch, etc.  Bjge caught a screen against buffalo in NYE game went for 60 yards...  Why...?  Partly because he was a running back only.  Caught like 5 passes in career here.  Not that he couldn't.

Pats system didn't use it much.  Never understood that.  Simple.  Throw to your running backs.  its called a dual threat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

No did not notice it - didn't see the game - but it probably would have gone right by me

I think they are slowly implementing a new offensive philosophy in play calling

I do not remember a time when there was so much variation in talent. they are all football players. I get the feeling that they are still feeling their way around with what people can do, and can do well. I haven't alwasy been happy with some of the play calling. But when it doesn't work it is easy to be 20/20 lol

I don't think they have been good with the screen yet

Because the offesnse has been sputtering they have not been able to use the fast paced rythm too well.

The players and speed they can now run out there have huge upsides indiviually and as a group. Except for Gronk getting a lot of TD passes, I don't think anyone will have league leading stats - and that is not bad - not bad at all. Especially if the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

I said at the begiingi of the yeasr taht I thought we would mesmerize the average team and go by the good teams. I think that there are so many teams in the schedule this year with very good front 7's that it will be very hard toblow a lot of people away.

Almost the whole schedule includes good to very good Front 7's  - Everyone in the AFC east, Cin, Balt, Carolina, NO?Atlanta?Houston? Denver? ,Tampa was supposed to be good. But not Cleveland or Pitts. It seems that when we get to the playoffs we will have seen a lot of very good, physical front 7's and we should be ready for anybody

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

From a strategic approach, even it being early in the year...anyone notice anything about our RBs vs the last 3 seasons or so?

We aren't subbing the RBs to run certain plays (run or pass).  

Sure, some guys might be better at other things than the other, but we aren't running shotgun spreads with a specific  RB (Woodhead) and then running more base plays with an in between the tackles kind of runner (BJGE or RIdley).

Bolden and Ridley were each targeted with passes today, which is a good sign.  It shows Brady isn't having to throw to just one RB on the roster when that RB is subbed on or off.

Translation? OUr offense is far less predictable than it has been in the last 2 seasons and it's because we walked from Woodhead and Welker, two players who were only effective in limited ways.

If you listen to Bolden, postgame, you can tell this is more about each guy being counted on to run, catch and block and they're only pulled off for a breather.

Personally, I love it. I think it's much, much better.   We just beat a very good front 7 (4 1st rd picks on the D Line) and secondary with 2 rookie WRs and a rookie TE.

Don't sub the RB for the skill sets, watch the offense be less predictable.

Agree. i like how bolden is playing. It will be tough when Vereen comes back. However, Vereen I think is the best back on the roster...he catches the best, runs well and not a bad blocker. I would like to see more 2 back sets with Vereen and bolden when vereen comes Back. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts