One Man's Power Rankings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

One Man's Power Rankings

1. Patriots: On paper, they have the best team. And since preseason power rankings are all about how good a team looks on paper, the Pats are number 1. Look for a 13-3 record and the top seed in the playoffs.

2. Chargers: Speaking of paper, these guys are the ultimate paper champions. This team should be the defending super bowl champions. Unfortunately, they are coached by Norv Turner. Still, they should be in the 12-4, 13-3, but don't be surprised when they are bounced in the divisional round at home by team No. 3 . .  .

3. Steelers: It's so annoying to see people put the Steelers on top of their power rankings because they won LAST YEAR. That's not the point. Look, Big Bee will understand if his team doesn't get the nod at the top of some jackasses power rankings. He's got his ring. So stop trying to be all politically correct media peeps. The Steelers are a good football team, though not great. They won last year because they were opportunistic. Their nemesis Brady goes down, San Diego again fails to live up to potential, and the Colts again fail to beat the failing-to-live-up-to-potential Chargers. I see 11-5 and an AFC Championship loss in New England.

4. Eagles: The Eagles' new corner Ellis Hobbs is psyched that Plaxico Burress won't be toasting him anymore. Solid team that should edge out the Giants in the NFC East. 12-4.

5. Giants: The Giants failed to address their gaping hole at WR. Hakeem Nicks is a rookie. Talk to me in 2011. That is the reason why they will finish 11-5 and lose the division on the last week of the season to a surging Eagles team.

6. Saints: It's time. They won't win the division, but now that Reggie has dumped Kim K, he'll have some energy left for the field. The Saints will make the Super Bowl with a January upset of the Falcons in Atlanta and the Eagles in Philly. 

7. Colts: Yeah, yeah, they have coaching issues. Offensive line issues. Defensive issues. But as a Pats fan, this team JUST WON'T GO AWAY. Once again, however, they will come up short in a playoff game in New England.

8. Falcons: Matt Ryan continues to progress and now he has another target. This year they win the division, the number two seed, but ultimately lose in the divisional round to the Saints.

9. Cardinals: Warner and Co. once again make the playoffs and win the division. This time, they don't get by Philly and are out in the divisional round.

10. Vikings: Sure, they make the playoffs. But then Sage and Citrus Rosenfels blows it against the Cards in Arizona.

11. Houston: This team has been on its way for a good three years. But this is the year they break through with a 10-6 record and the fifth seed in the AFC. Of course, they will promptly get smoked by Manning and Co. in the wild card round.

12. Chiefs: Call me crazy, but I have a feeling this is your "Huh?" team of the 2009 season. 9-7 and in the playoffs.

13. Panthers: Running game. Check. Defense. Check. Quarterback. Uhhhh, Jake Delhomme . . . he's good right? Nope. 9-7 and out.

14. Bears: Cutler is a d*ck. And he hasn't won anything. Look for that to continue. 8-8 at best.

15. Ravens: They have a good defense, but will Ryan's departure affect them? I think it will and they will have to rely more on their offense then in years past. And they will find out that their offense still s*cks. Really? I can't write s*cks? What if I said that losing Ryan s*cks the life out of this team? Nope, I guess not.

16. Titans: They lost Haynesworth. He was the best defensive player in the league. Now, they get year two of the Kerry Collins experience. Good luck.

17. Cowboys: Over under on Wade Phillips collecting unemployment - 10 games. No T.O., no popcorn, no playoffs.

18. Dolphins: Pennington never, I mean NEVER, has two healthy seasons in a row. So look to see Chad Henne progress, but not quickly enough for the playoffs.

19. Bengals: Why not? At this point in the rankings, who knows.

20. Washington: If this were the FA power rankings, they'd be higher. But Big Al can't play QB can he?

21. Packers: I don't even care. Maybe they should be higher, but this is getting boring.

22. Bills: This should be interesting. Is Trent Edwards a good QB? He better be a good QB and deaf, because his patience and confidence will be tested by DB TO.

23. Jaguars: Remember when they were tied with the Patriots 14-14 in the 2007 divisional playoffs? Yeah, me neither.

24. Seahawks: They could be decent with Hasslebeck coming back. But they are really far away and I'm going to apply the east coast bias here and rank them 24.

25. Jets: Mark Sanchez will be 8,000 times better than Matthew Stafford. Too bad Tom Brady will be 8,000 better than Mark Sanchez.

26. Broncos: I'm not a McDaniels fan. The offensive game plan in the 2007 super bowl was p*ss poor. But at least he had the NFL's version of the Harlem Globetrotters. What will he do with Kyle Orton and company?

27. Bucs: I don't even know who plays for them anymore. Do you? Byron Leftwich? Earnest Graham? Doug Williams?

28. Rams: Yet another team not worth talking about.

29. 49ers: Raging QB controversy - Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill. Really brings back memories of Steve Young v. Joe Montana.

30. Raiders: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

31. Lions: They'll be better, if only because some team will not show up and get upset.

32. Browns: Karma is a b*tch you rat b*stard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Re: One Man's Power Rankings

Nice post...a Latin proverb stated, "Beware the man of one book", but what did ancient Romans know about football . There is only one book in football now and the Pats are writing it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

Excellent job.  Very amusing and relatively spot-on, with just the right amount of bias.  Well done.

In Response to One Man's Power Rankings:
    [QUOTE]1. Patriots: On paper, they have the best team. And since preseason power rankings are all about how good a team looks on paper, the Pats are number 1. Look for a 13-3 record and the top seed in the playoffs. 2. Chargers: Speaking of paper, these guys are the ultimate paper champions. This team should be the defending super bowl champions. Unfortunately, they are coached by Norv Turner. Still, they should be in the 12-4, 13-3, but don't be surprised when they are bounced in the divisional round at home by team No. 3 . .  . 3. Steelers: It's so annoying to see people put the Steelers on top of their power rankings because they won LAST YEAR. That's not the point. Look, Big Bee will understand if his team doesn't get the nod at the top of some jackasses power rankings. He's got his ring. So stop trying to be all politically correct media peeps. The Steelers are a good football team, though not great. They won last year because they were opportunistic. Their nemesis Brady goes down, San Diego again fails to live up to potential, and the Colts again fail to beat the failing-to-live-up-to-potential Chargers. I see 11-5 and an AFC Championship loss in New England. 4. Eagles: The Eagles' new corner Ellis Hobbs is psyched that Plaxico Burress won't be toasting him anymore. Solid team that should edge out the Giants in the NFC East. 12-4. 5. Giants: The Giants failed to address their gaping hole at WR. Hakeem Nicks is a rookie. Talk to me in 2011. That is the reason why they will finish 11-5 and lose the division on the last week of the season to a surging Eagles team. 6. Saints: It's time. They won't win the division, but now that Reggie has dumped Kim K, he'll have some energy left for the field. The Saints will make the Super Bowl with a January upset of the Falcons in Atlanta and the Eagles in Philly.  7. Colts: Yeah, yeah, they have coaching issues. Offensive line issues. Defensive issues. But as a Pats fan, this team JUST WON'T GO AWAY. Once again, however, they will come up short in a playoff game in New England. 8. Falcons: Matt Ryan continues to progress and now he has another target. This year they win the division, the number two seed, but ultimately lose in the divisional round to the Saints. 9. Cardinals: Warner and Co. once again make the playoffs and win the division. This time, they don't get by Philly and are out in the divisional round. 10. Vikings: Sure, they make the playoffs. But then Sage and Citrus Rosenfels blows it against the Cards in Arizona. 11. Houston: This team has been on its way for a good three years. But this is the year they break through with a 10-6 record and the fifth seed in the AFC. Of course, they will promptly get smoked by Manning and Co. in the wild card round. 12. Chiefs: Call me crazy, but I have a feeling this is your "Huh?" team of the 2009 season. 9-7 and in the playoffs. 13. Panthers: Running game. Check. Defense. Check. Quarterback. Uhhhh, Jake Delhomme . . . he's good right? Nope. 9-7 and out. 14. Bears: Cutler is a d*ck. And he hasn't won anything. Look for that to continue. 8-8 at best. 15. Ravens: They have a good defense, but will Ryan's departure affect them? I think it will and they will have to rely more on their offense then in years past. And they will find out that their offense still s*cks. Really? I can't write s*cks? What if I said that losing Ryan s*cks the life out of this team? Nope, I guess not. 16. Titans: They lost Haynesworth. He was the best defensive player in the league. Now, they get year two of the Kerry Collins experience. Good luck. 17. Cowboys: Over under on Wade Phillips collecting unemployment - 10 games. No T.O., no popcorn, no playoffs. 18. Dolphins: Pennington never, I mean NEVER, has two healthy seasons in a row. So look to see Chad Henne progress, but not quickly enough for the playoffs. 19. Bengals: Why not? At this point in the rankings, who knows. 20. Washington: If this were the FA power rankings, they'd be higher. But Big Al can't play QB can he? 21. Packers: I don't even care. Maybe they should be higher, but this is getting boring. 22. Bills: This should be interesting. Is Trent Edwards a good QB? He better be a good QB and deaf, because his patience and confidence will be tested by DB TO. 23. Jaguars: Remember when they were tied with the Patriots 14-14 in the 2007 divisional playoffs? Yeah, me neither. 24. Seahawks: They could be decent with Hasslebeck coming back. But they are really far away and I'm going to apply the east coast bias here and rank them 24. 25. Jets: Mark Sanchez will be 8,000 times better than Matthew Stafford. Too bad Tom Brady will be 8,000 better than Mark Sanchez. 26. Broncos: I'm not a McDaniels fan. The offensive game plan in the 2007 super bowl was p*ss poor. But at least he had the NFL's version of the Harlem Globetrotters. What will he do with Kyle Orton and company? 27. Bucs: I don't even know who plays for them anymore. Do you? Byron Leftwich? Earnest Graham? Doug Williams? 28. Rams: Yet another team not worth talking about. 29. 49ers: Raging QB controversy - Alex Smith vs. Shaun Hill. Really brings back memories of Steve Young v. Joe Montana. 30. Raiders: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! 31. Lions: They'll be better, if only because some team will not show up and get upset. 32. Browns: Karma is a b*tch you rat b*stard.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/Q]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's always good to go out on a limb for at least one team, but I'm having trouble seeing a 9-7 team in the AFC Playoffs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I put the Chiefs up above the Chargers.  This is partly out of respect for Scott Pioli and partly for Matt Cassel.  The Chargers are a bunch of DUI drunks, therefore usually with no late-season stamina, led by a known clubhouse disruption of a coach.  Norv lost my respect when he traded away San Diego's #47 pick for a third rounder fullback who does mostly nothing.  A huge chunk of New England's success is from Norv at Oakland, actually.

Orton stinks right now, but I think that McDaniels will work on his QB.  Denver will slightly acquit itself, maybe 7-9. 

I have surprisingly little respect for the flatland Colts except for Peyton Manning.  Watch them struggle in their division and miss the playoffs.

I have the feeling that the Dolphins may get Indy's wild card.  The Big Tuna has always done better than expected. 

Otherwise in the AFC East, the Bills look like a really drunken team to write off with a scheduled late season collapse.  The Jets should collapse early, say, 1-5.  After that, Sanchez may or may not be able to play at the NFL level, and the same is true of a swagger-licious (trademark) head coach in diapers.  Nice defense in Baltimore, though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

You can easily take the top 5 on this list and the fans in the respective cities of these teams would make hard arguments why their team is #1.  Obviously, Steeler fans will claim the "we are the champions" mantra, as did the Giants' fans in 2008.  When you come into a season as the defending champion and your team still looks powerful, hard not to argue with that.  Need to see if the Pats acquisitions pan out during the pre-season.  Hopefully they will not look as pitiful as they did in the 2008 pre-season.  I think Brady is real hungry this year and he will make it a point to drive the team make the Pats look powerful in the pre-season, not just going through the motions.  As we all do, he probably feels the best team in the league in '07 didn't finish the job and he has something he wants to prove.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: One Man's Power Rankings:
    [QUOTE]I put the Chiefs up above the Chargers.  This is partly out of respect for Scott Pioli and partly for Matt Cassel.  The Chargers are a bunch of DUI drunks, therefore usually with no late-season stamina, led by a known clubhouse disruption of a coach.  Norv lost my respect when he traded away San Diego's #47 pick for a third rounder fullback who does mostly nothing.  A huge chunk of New England's success is from Norv at Oakland, actually. Orton stinks right now, but I think that McDaniels will work on his QB.  Denver will slightly acquit itself, maybe 7-9.  I have surprisingly little respect for the flatland Colts except for Peyton Manning.  Watch them struggle in their division and miss the playoffs. I have the feeling that the Dolphins may get Indy's wild card.  The Big Tuna has always done better than expected.  Otherwise in the AFC East, the Bills look like a really drunken team to write off with a scheduled late season collapse.  The Jets should collapse early, say, 1-5.  After that, Sanchez may or may not be able to play at the NFL level, and the same is true of a swagger-licious (trademark) head coach in diapers.  Nice defense in Baltimore, though.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Paul, not quite enough homerism in your post.  Let me help. 

Cleveland has to come in at 32.  Unless of course you are compassionate pats man who thinks Mangini is simply a lost sheep from the fold and the team was formerly the domain of former assistant Crennel and the lama himself, BB. 

Oh and also, Notre Dame should at least be in the NFL top 10.

That's better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The Saints are the Colts without the good defense, so I don't see how they are better. Do they have a better chance at going deeper? Yeah, but only because of their division.

At first blush I would rank em:

1. Steelers
    2. Pats
    3. Giants
    4. Colts
    5. Chargers
    6. Iggles
    7. Titans
    8. Cards

I honestly don't see mountains seperating the top four or five. The Pats have a ton of inexperience, even though they are stacked with talent as usual. This is a weird problem to have, because NE has been a total vet team for the last decade.

Still an 11-5 team adding Tom Brady and Burgess, and subtracting Deltha O'neal is going to be pretty good. LOL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Thanks Z - colts fans appreciate the limited vote of confidence. 

I must not be as confident as I thought because one day I am feeling pretty good the next, not so much. 

I think the colts D is going to surprise some barring injury.  I am worried a little about the colts line, but with Mudd in place, I think they will find a way to be effective. 

As for the pats, I have always thought Fred Taylor never got the accolades he deserves.  Pats secondary and pass rush are what I wonder about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

1.  Pats
    2.  Colts
    3.  Eagles
    4.  Giants
    5.  Chargers
    6.  Steelers
    7-32.  Who cares.

The Steelers s*ck.  Everyone knows it.  They got lucky in the playoffs last year, defeating an injured Chargers' team, an inept Ravens offense, and the Arizona freakin' Cardinals.  They act like they're the best defense in football but most of the time they are inept on the field.  I admit that most of them (everyone but Clark) are a class act and they do their best to copy the Patriots' professionalism, but they are a cheap imitation of the Pats and are going to get vaporized if they're lucky enough to meet us in the playoffs.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I wouldn't go so far as to say the Steelers s*ck (well, okay, I would), but they dodged a bullet when Tennessee gagged on its own spit in the playoffs last year, and squeaking by 'Zona in the Super Bowl should have impressed exactly no one. The Steelers have the kind of cakewalk schedule that should put them somewhere around 13-3 or 12-4 at the worst, so you're not going too far out on a limb to say that the AFC Championship quest goes through Bitchburgh. I don't see either the Colts or Chargers as finishers, so I think the Pats are a solid number two. Interestingly, this year, the AFC Champion may not be the de facto Super Bowl Champion. Both the Eagles and the Panthers should be embarassed by what happened last year, and while I don't see Carolina near the top of anyone's list, Philadelphia looks to be vastly improved. Blue New Jersey doesn't really scare me much. It's offense is going to be far too one-dimensional without an elite receiving threat, although they should win a lot of 10-6 games. If you're looking for a party-crasher, I would throw Minnesota in the mix (assuming Chilly finally wakes up and burns down the Tavaris Jackson Project). The Vikes can run the ball and they can stuff the run. They should have little problem winning their division and might sneak up on a bye.

Mike's Ultimate Homer Super Bowl Pick?

New England v. Minnesota, of course.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

PM:

Taking off on your ultimate homer super bowl pick, this is my scenario (albeit some very, very, long odds):

1/ Tampa Bay pulling a monumental and controversial upset over the Patriots in London.

2/ New England vs. Tampa Bay Super Bowl: The Pats, remembering said defeat at Wembley; will totally destroy the Bucs as Tom Brady puts on an offensive show for the ages - 59-14 Pats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Man's Power Rankings : Paul, not quite enough homerism in your post.  Let me help.  Cleveland has to come in at 32.  Unless of course you are compassionate pats man who thinks Mangini is simply a lost sheep from the fold and the team was formerly the domain of former assistant Crennel and the lama himself, BB. 
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't throw Cleveland completely away.  Mangini can hold Crennel's old defense together.  How about number 23?  I guess I don't really care what happens to Cleveland now that neither their river, their mayor nor their team catches fire anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

My homer Super Bowl picks Pats vs.the Montreal Alouettes (only 1 hour away)
    ain't gonna happenCool

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Man's Power Rankings : The Pats are writing it? Silly me, I thought the Pats were last champions in 2004. Maybe you are thinking of that "19-0" book form a few years back?
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Naah jints....'that book' never made it to the publishers...we are talking about this year's book....the one where one Thomas Brady, Esquire returns to his rightful place as the QB of the Patriots...to the detriment of its opponents....this new book shall be written in the spirit of "noli nothi permittere te terere....never let the ill-begotten wear you down...."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

If you or anyone else predicts that the PATS are going to go 13-3, 12-4, 14-2, or 8-8 it would be nice, and perhaps informative, if you could state which team(s) will defeat the PATS and why or how they will do it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]If you or anyone else predicts that the PATS are going to go 13-3, 12-4, 14-2, or 8-8 it would be nice, and perhaps informative, if you could state which team(s) will defeat the PATS and why or how they will do it.
    Posted by JoeFoyFan[/QUOTE]

Saints, Dolphins and Colts.

Pats get revenge on all three. Colts in the divisional, Dolphins in NE, and the Saints in the SB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Looked at the pats schedule and it looks like the schedule makers did the pats some favors.  Other than the colts (maybe N.O.), it appears the toughest games for the pats are at home (ATL, BAL, TEN, CAR). 

I got the pats at 13-3 without looking at opponents sched and this is as much a crpshoot as anything.  Who really knows?  On its face, it looks like the pats could be 14-2. 

Losses
    - Balt (after a tough win vs. Atl)
    - Indy (b/c I am a colts fan and the colts are 4-1 over the last 5)
    - @ Mia (after a tough Mon Night win vs. NO on 6 days rest)

The other games I would consider tough but see NE winning:
    - @ TB (after a stretch that includes @ NYJ-tough just b/c div rival; ATL; BAL; @DEN-easy; TEN) - I just don't give TB much respect this year.  Too much change. 
    - CAR (but NE wins after tough loss prior week @ MIA)
    - @ HOU (last game of the season - will NE have anything to play for?  Will HOU have anything to play for?)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to One Man's Power Rankings:
    [QUOTE] 2. Chargers: Speaking of paper, these guys are the ultimate paper champions. This team should be the defending super bowl champions. Unfortunately, they are coached by Norv Turner. Still, they should be in the 12-4, 13-3, but don't be surprised when they are bounced in the divisional round at home by team Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]
    Good post. The only one I'd disagree with is the chargers at #2. I'd put them at 7 maybe, in front of the colts. They're the ultiimate on-paper team. They finished 8-8 in the weakest division in football and I just cannot seem them improving much. Yes, they have some playmakers but they also huge liabilities in psycho (merriman), the whiner (LT) and norv, IMHO. 
    Below 10 or so, it really doesn't matter much. I think the colts could fall below that line of relevancy this year.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Man's Power Rankings : The Pats are writing it? Silly me, I thought the Pats were last champions in 2004. Maybe you are thinking of that "19-0" book form a few years back?
    Oh, you're upset to see Patriot enthusiasm on the Patriot chat section of the Boston paper?
    Take a hike. You're irrelevant and unwanted, you f*ggin troll. Go post on your own site with the rest of the NYC ignorami. 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Man's Power Rankings : Actually, Carnegie's Deli in Midtown Manhattan has the best Ignorami, with hot mustard and a kosher dill pickle on the side. I mean, you can't beat it!

The Cochon Butcher in New Orleans has duck pastrami. If you like the Italian cold cuts, this stuff is insane.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One Man's Power Rankings : The Cochon Butcher in New Orleans has duck pastrami. If you like the Italian cold cuts, this stuff is insane.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

....and the Epicure in Miami Beach serves both