One mans shocking prediction at Pats first pick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

One mans shocking prediction at Pats first pick

not saying I agree with it or want it to happen but I predict the Pats select.......Teddy Bridgewater at 29. "Value" is to great. Remember you read it here first! lol Lets hope I am wrong....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Re: One mans shocking prediction at Pats first pick

Funny you should mention this.  I was actually thinking yesterday that this could be possible.  I would be against it due to the obvious reason that we need to address our current needs now to maximize Brady's closing window.  We need to fill a few holes to give our team the best chance to win now.  

On the other hand, I feel like Bridgewater is going to be a very good QB.  The draft process hasn't been kind to him, but he could very well wind up being the best QB out of this class.  A little part of me could see the value in that pick.

Bottom line, for me though, is that I think it's too soon to worry about Brady's successor.  He still looks very good, and I think he can give us 3+ more quality seasons IF we put a solid OLine around him and give him a good running game to boot.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I don't get the existing school of thought that the Pats don't have to make a push for a potential starting qb because they will be able to get Brady's successor two or three years from now. As if good NFL quarterbacks just appear. The Pats lucked out with Brady and before that the team earned Bledsoe because they sucked the year before and they were able to draft first that year. The organization does not have a stellar record in drafting quarterbacks so I'd snap up Bridgewater or Carr in a heartbeat if either were available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I agree that Brady can't play forever. Has the organization given up on Mallett yet? There are too many glaring holes that need to be filled on the D line right away. It would really be tough not to go after Hagaman or Nix which I think will be available at 29. Hoodie has never gone after a QB right away. Look at his draft history. I think the Pats need another TE as much as I would like for them to draft Ebron out of NC I don't think he will be around but Jace Amaro might be. May need another safety because I think McCourty will be gone if he doesn't get his payday. It would be nice bu I really don't think it will happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Bridgwater falling to #29 would present BB with quite the dilemma... do I select my heir apparent or trade back to acquire more picks?

If Teddy is the guy, we won't get the instant gratification that we would with another player, but it makes a whole lot of long term sense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

not saying I agree with it or want it to happen but I predict the Pats select.......Teddy Bridgewater at 29. "Value" is to great. Remember you read it here first! lol Lets hope I am wrong....

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Reminds me of the Tebow prediction people were making. I don't see Bridgewater as any better than McCarron so if it's value base I'm thinking BB would rather spend a 2nd on McCarron than a 1st on Bridgewater. But def a bold prediction

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Teddy is the top QB on my draft board, there is also the possibility of Andre Brown or whoever they have pegged as their number RB going early.  Of course BB can probably find both of these positions in the third round or beyond.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I wouldn't spend an early draft pick on a QB this year. We need to make a serious run at the SB this year. Brady's window is closing, and with the aggressiveness in free agency this off season, we need to swing for the fences. We need to draft guys that can come in right away and contribute. Plus Teddy Bridgewater's pro day was terrible. We can get a QB later in the draft, guys like Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron will be around later in the draft. With the signing of Will Smith, that just about assures that the Pats can take the best football player available in the early rounds. There will be a few talented guys that fall to 29, get the best one that can contribute right away, whether it be Hagemon, Shazier, Ford, Lee, Beckham.  I don't think we need to draft a CB in this draft because of the log jam. And I don't think we need to draft a safety. I think Logan Ryan or Brandon Browner will eventually end up at safety.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Pats currently need more help on defense or weapons for Brady.  Bridgewater would be a bench rider for now.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Bridgewater is the most (on the field) proven QB in the draft. His numbers and his leadership are superb. I don't care if his pro-day was terrible. I care what he did day after day for 3 years in college. I would like him on our team but if the right defensive player were there what would BB do? It's a tough decision. No one is a sure thing in any draft.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

He was a disappointment at the combine.

He pro day he was even worse, wobbly balls, over/under thrown balls, bad.

He has hands too small for a man of his size so you can write off the deep ball...

Other than that he should be fine.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

And if you are looking for the next Ryan Mallett you'll have it in Zach Mettenberger. Tested positive (diluted) sample....so he will fall....very good potential...big boy, big arm....he'll likely be fine as Mallett was.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

So let's say Bridgewater falls to 29. Who values him more highly: the Pats or a team still in need? I think that would end up representing a chance to trade down for some good picks. I do not think BB picks a QB in rounds 1-2 in this draft.

If we did I think he would want to have moved Mallet and that doesn't seem like a highly likely thing either.

Good question but I do not think a QB lands here in rounds 1 or 2 OR EVEN 3. 4 At best. Maybe later if at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So let's say Bridgewater falls to 29. Who values him more highly: the Pats or a team still in need? I think that would end up representing a chance to trade down for some good picks. I do not think BB picks a QB in rounds 1-2 in this draft.

If we did I think he would want to have moved Mallet and that doesn't seem like a highly likely thing either.

Good question but I do not think a QB lands here in rounds 1 or 2 OR EVEN 3. 4 At best. Maybe later if at all.

[/QUOTE]

6th or 7th round David Fales out of San Jose St would be worth the pick at that point.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

IF Bridgewater is available I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats took him.  We have no idea how they rate him as a prospect, however, even if a lot of pundits think he is talented.  Maybe if he's there and they can trade back for multiple picks they use a 3rd or a 4th on a developmental QB prospect.  I'd be mildly shocked if they don't draft a QB.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

My prediction is the pat's won't pick at 29 they will either trade up for a player they believe is must have for their system or trade down into the mid to late 2nd/early 3rd and select an interior O-lineman... Bitonio? Richburg? Swanson?

My prediction is he won't take a QB until the 6th or 7th which will be David Fales. I think they will go all out for Brady's replacement in next years draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IF Bridgewater is available I wouldn't be shocked if the Pats took him.  We have no idea how they rate him as a prospect, however, even if a lot of pundits think he is talented.  Maybe if he's there and they can trade back for multiple picks they use a 3rd or a 4th on a developmental QB prospect.  I'd be mildly shocked if they don't draft a QB.   

[/QUOTE]

Mildly surprised. Yup. That is fair.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And if you are looking for the next Ryan Mallett you'll have it in Zach Mettenberger. Tested positive (diluted) sample....so he will fall....very good potential...big boy, big arm....he'll likely be fine as Mallett was.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

+1  They could get Zach and put his on IR this year and let the ACL get to 100% as he learns the system.  Mallett serves as the backup this year then walks leaving Zack the job next year.  I'd trade the 1st round pick for a 2nd this year and next or a second and fourth this year and pick up Zach with their own 2nd round pick and go defense with the pick they get in the trade back.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

if Bridgewater is available at #29, the Pats brain trust will find a suitor and marry him off for significant current and future assets ... considering how successful this team will be in the near term, they will need to package picks to move up in the first round of an upcoming draft for a game-changing QB prospect or build such a strong supporting cast that a capable helmsman (Mallett, McCarron, etc) can pilot them through the post-season 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Actually heard this possibility on NFL radio yesterday from Rich Gannon (I think?). Tough choice to make.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I like Bridgewater better than any QB in this draft, but no way do I see the Patriots taking him at 29.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is available there which is pretty shocking given that he was like a consensus #1 pick 6 months ago.  People need to go back and watch the dam games.  JMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I believe the QB stock will fall.  None of these guys are NFL ready.  The proof is all of the QB needy teams went out and got a starting type QB in FA.  I take that as when they do draft a future QB in this draft they will be backing up this year.  You want your 1st round picks to start.  Not sit on the bench for two or three years.  Teams have needs that can be addressed right off the bat.  The end of the 1st round (teams will trade up) and the 2nd round is where the sweet spot is for QB this year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I posted this on the draft thread as well, but I maintain that a high end CB is still in play at #29... particularly a kid like VT's Kyle Fuller. As I've mentioned in the past, Revis is essentially on a (1) year contract and Browner is (1) strike away from a (1) year suspension, so things look good in the short term, but cloudy in the long term.  If the chance is their to take said CB prospect, I think they could very well seize it... especially when it's a kid with the versatility to play S and impact on ST as well.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I am all in on Joel Bitonio as the first pick...does that qualify as shocking?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am all in on Joel Bitonio as the first pick...does that qualify as shocking?

[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't, very good football player.

Sections
Shortcuts