One of the trends of last 6 out of 7 Super Bowl Champs is to have a good WR corp...Why havent we jumped on this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

One of the trends of last 6 out of 7 Super Bowl Champs is to have a good WR corp...Why havent we jumped on this?

The last 6 of 7 teams to win the Super Bowl all had good to very good WRs...except for Pittsburg..Its well documented over and over that the NFL has become a passing league...So we are fortunate enough to have one of the greatest QBs to play the game and a very mediocre WR corp..makes no sense! Bradys window is very small...get him some playmaking WRs and give us a chance to win another trophy..before its too late and Brady is either traded or leaves ...Go Pats in 2013!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: One of the trends of last 6 out of 7 Super Bowl Champs is to have a good WR corp...Why havent we jumped on this?

Did the '07 Giants have a good one? Pretty sure it was just Plaxico Burress. 

In fact,

Plaxico Burress had over 1,000 yards, next guy (Toomer) had a bit over 700 yards, next guy (Shockey) had a bit over 600 yards, next guy (Moss) had a shade over 200.

Pats this season had Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, and Lloyd.

Outside of Colston, the Saints did't have a particularily great receiving option. Meachem isn't that good and Henderson is a one trick pony. Brees just did a good job of spreading the ball around and Payton does a great job at playcalling.

These Patriots have the best TE and a very good slot machine. Lacking a true outside receiver, but it's not like the Pats have a mediocre receiving group. Gronk injury certainly doesn't help...but this group was slighty better than last years, and last year was a couple of plays from winning the Super Bowl.

All those teams had defenses that made plays

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: One of the trends of last 6 out of 7 Super Bowl Champs is to have a good WR corp...Why havent we jumped on this?

Didn't Brady have all the "toys" in 2008?

I'm done with the been there done that thingy....I would like to see the Defense rebuilt and start with interior D Linemen.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I'm done with the been there done that thingy....I would like to see the Defense rebuilt and start with interior D Linemen.

I am assuming this is sarcasm.^^ NE has one of the best front 7s in the AFC.  They need one more piece at DT or DE and need to decide if they want to run more 3-4 than they have been the last 2 years.

I would like to see the OFFENSE rebuilt because it has SUCKED donkey taint in the postseason, generally speaking, since 2005.

Finesse ain't cutting it. 

Yes a bit of sarcasim....but there is one problem with the rebuilding the offense yes?

New England has had the highest scoring offense, or close to it, for awhile now.

You can't average 30 then show up and score 3.

Lot's of CAP money on the offense side of the ball.

I've seen the O lay an egg too many times in these playoff games. If rebuilding means they fix whatever has been wrong and show up on the big stage and score 30 then I guess I am OK with that.

For me though....I wanna move on and have an offense that scores 24-27 and a D that punches the other team on the kisser.

The O has left us at the alter one too many times and I'd be happy to see the D beefed up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Gronk and Hernandez need to stay healthy, thats a big key.  Need to put a receiver in Lloyds spot who can work the middle and take the top off the defense.  They need to sign a WR like that and move Lloyd to Branch's spot or just dump Lloyd and get a receiver who can work the middle and stretch the field and then get a dependable 3rd receiver.  Maybe edelman can line up and do what Branch used to do.

Or if looking to go with what they have they need to beef up the D.  Need another safety and then a good CB or two.  They say if Talib receives the franchise tag then that will be at the expense of just over $10 million.  Ouch!! He isn't worth that! They can pick up a more dependable CB then him for that.  Heck probably even pick up two who's better then they have for not much more then that.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Did the '07 Giants have a good one? Pretty sure it was just Plaxico Burress. 

In fact,

Plaxico Burress had over 1,000 yards, next guy (Toomer) had a bit over 700 yards, next guy (Shockey) had a bit over 600 yards, next guy (Moss) had a shade over 200.

Pats this season had Gronk, Welker, Hernandez, and Lloyd.

Outside of Colston, the Saints did't have a particularily great receiving option. Meachem isn't that good and Henderson is a one trick pony. Brees just did a good job of spreading the ball around and Payton does a great job at playcalling.

These Patriots have the best TE and a very good slot machine. Lacking a true outside receiver, but it's not like the Pats have a mediocre receiving group. Gronk injury certainly doesn't help...but this group was slighty better than last years, and last year was a couple of plays from winning the Super Bowl.

All those teams had defenses that made plays

Or got lucky.  I mean, please.  Face it, our lethal offenses weren't even good in SB 42 or SB 46.

And I'd hardly call Balt getting lucky at the goal line with a rookie QB, bad game management, play calls and tackling a WR in desperation, "making plays on D".

They got torched for 30 points.

There's luck in every run.

But you need to give some credit to the Gmen Dline in 42. They absolutely manhandled the oline. In an offense where the deep ball to Moss played a large role, the giants did a good job in not giving Brady time to make those throws.

Speaking of Moss, Super Bowl teams usually have good players raise their level of play. For someone who had 1493 yards and 23 TDs during the regular season, under 100 yards and 1 TD isn't acceptable in the post season. Look at what Fitzgerald did in the '08 playoffs.

For the self-proclaimed best WR in history, he should be able to figure out a way to get the ball if teams cover the deep ball. 

When you look at the Ravens: Mckinnie, Grahma, Williams, Boldin, etc all stepped up and had their best 4 game stretches of the season. If they don't then the Ravens lose because their best player, Rice, had a pretty bad post season.

Pats don't have the best roster, but it's good enough to win it all. Players just need to raise their level of performance during Weeks 18+. And that includes Brady as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I am assuming this is sarcasm.^^ NE has one of the best front 7s in the AFC.  They need one more piece at DT or DE and need to decide if they want to run more 3-4 than they have been the last 2 years.

I would like to see the OFFENSE rebuilt because it has SUCKED donkey taint in the postseason, generally speaking, since 2005.

Finesse ain't cutting it. 

Yes a bit of sarcasim....but there is one problem with the rebuilding the offense yes?

New England has had the highest scoring offense, or close to it, for awhile now.

You can't average 30 then show up and score 3.

Lot's of CAP money on the offense side of the ball.

I've seen the O lay an egg too many times in these playoff games. If rebuilding means they fix whatever has been wrong and show up on the big stage and score 30 then I guess I am OK with that.

For me though....I wanna move on and have an offense that scores 24-27 and a D that punches the other team on the kisser.

The O has left us at the alter one too many times and I'd be happy to see the D beefed up.

We would see a stronger D at the end of games if they were helped more EARLIER in games. It's so simple.

I'd like a top 10, methodical O and a good/great top 10 D.   This whole argument of NE's "ranking" on O and "ranking" on D is arguably the dumbest argument to explain the flaw of something, that I've ever seen.

It's what dumb fans do. Look at Phat Rex. He raves about his D and how Sanchez led those offenses to AFC title games, but it's more about the versatilty and depth of each.

I could care less if during the year our offense bludgeons a mediocre or bad D because the "#1 ranking" clearly means absolute JACK SQUAT come January and February.

It's so ridiculous that these discussions are still being had here.

This team is very close, but the moves they need to make are actually drastic in terms of what they HAVEN'T been doing in recent years in terms of approach.

Bye-bye, Wes. Thanks for all your hard work and it's been a blast watching you play. Enjoy the millions and good luck.

Fair enough...but you must admit it's not once or twice that it's happened. One could make the arguement that the O is fine until it meets the big bully in the schoolyard no?

That's how we beat the greatest show on turf yes? Beat on them, leaned on them, knocked them down every chance we had. So much so they cried Mama and folks like Faulk are still crying for their Momma today.

I operate in a Lab where the result of 10 trials allows up to say that we have reached a conclusion of 95% probability that we know the result of trial 11.

We are fast closing on 10 trials with the Pats in which we can say with 95% certainty that the Offensive plan they employ will fail them against an all out Defensive attack.

I would not be allowed to run trial 11 unless I could show a very different plan that would somehow counter 10 prior runs.

What do we do to get the Offensive to show up in the first half and drive the dagger home when they have the chance. The only thing they have shown is that they can't.

I'll be Captain Obveious here and say something has not and is not working when it needs to work.

I do agree with your statement that the D can draw strength from the O leading the way.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Please stop with the excuse-ridden premises.  Gronk, Hernandez and Welker are players that other fans of other teams DROOL OVER. Throw in Lloyd as a 3rd or 4th option for Brady on gameday and it's not like this is some major negative.  Stop making excuses every other thread for Brady's poor management or the overall offense's lack of execution. Do you really think BB says "I want to make it tough on Tom so I am going to invest in two lethal, young TEs that most QBs would drool over"?

Enough.

The key is balance but that balance won't come in a shotgun spread.

I love how people sat here last year and said Balt and the NYGs didn't have lethal passing targets simply because they aren't superstars or All Pro.  The key is, those QBs (Eli and Flacco) don't play favorites, don't go short on their reads, and don't only target the middle of the field.

They also don't primarily use the shotgun formation.   Brady should take note of HOW those QBs run their offenses.  Neither QB is on the same level as Brady, but in recent years, theyr'e running their offenses better. Period. They lean on run games, actually use playaction, etc.

The Balt and NYGs offenses are TOUGHER to defend than ours because of these things.  No one said you can't line up Welker or Hernandez outside. Edelman was actually a huge loss for this team, because you could easily incorporate his skills into the offense from the outside.  Is he a premier WR? Of course not, but the sill set is there. 

But, please stop acting like the targets that Brady basically asks for in the offseason aren't good here. 

Two things Gronk has been hurt in the biggest games the las two year. A healthy Gronk that pick doesn't happen, the pats score a TD and win the Superbowl. Secondly the Pats WR corps during the  AFC champion games was two players Welker and Lloyd, that isn't a good reciever corps.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Ahhhh...."Clark" did we not have outstanding field position in the first half? We averaged something like starting on our own 43 yd line yes? Down to the Ravens 35/40 yd line something like 5 times no? We just did not drive the dagger home.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

I wish we did have a TOP 7 defensive front but with the exception of Vince Wilfork we have a good but not great front 7.  We're better than average against the run but less than average against the pass. We have enough to survive but not enough to be considered dominant.

We need a penetrating DL to complement Vince or a dominant DE to disrupt an opponents offense.  Let their quarterback be rushed and squeezed for time to find an open receiver. Our secondary immediately gets better with the addition of either a dominant interior lineman or DE.

We seem to need stability at the CB and S positions to complement a great front 7.  Bodies that spend less time  nursing injuries than PT.  As helpful as Talib can be his PT has been disappointing.

We do need an outside threat on offense and our lack of success finding talent at the WR position is well known.  We look for receivers that can separate and run sharp routes.  We look for receivers that can find the ball that's off target but do we look for receivers that are committed to preventing an interception on balls they can't reach?  We focus on YAC but do we insist on receivers that have extra sticky hands that catch everything?  While speed and size help with separation we should insist on the rest of the package too.

Tom Brady has been forced to throw into tight spaces because of a lack of wr separation.  Or he has to throw low balls to prevent interceptions and our wrs have difficulty tracking these difficult to catch passes. Wrs MUST be able to get off the line since TB is working against the clock waiting for them to clear.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Our WR are all the same type WR's possesion guys...we need WR that can seperate ...M Wallace would be nice...i would let Welker go for a guy like Wallace...teams flood the zone n our offense goes limp...i had hoped Lloyd would have been the answer but he wasnt...just another possesion type WR

Sections
Shortcuts