One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game!

As a Steeler fan, I would like to remind the fans on here who are pointing the finger at Wes Welker. that you must not realize what a special player you have in that guy. No one feels worse about that pass play then he does. Personally I didn't think it was that easy of a catch as some have suggested, but that's just my opinion. I know it's a catch that he usually makes look routine...but he's only human.
      Good to see some on here coming to his defense. For those who say, " There's no excuse, he has to make that catch!"..... it's too bad he isn't perfect like you!
      Be thankful that you live in a city that has some pretty darn good sport franchises. Boston has been on a pretty good run the past 12 years or so, enjoy the ride while it lasts.
     Back in the 70's, if someone would have told me that the Pirates would become the laughingstock of MLB, I would have never believed it. I miss those days with Clemente & Stargell. At the same time the Steelers were winning 4 Super Bowls, it was a great time for sports in our city.
     You not only have the Patriots and the Redsoxs(My Nieces favorite team) but the Bruins and the Celtics. I'd say you guys & girls have it pretty good!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game!

I blame Eli Manning for throwing such a perfect ball. I hope we pay welker and keep him. Good to see you SC.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

The people ripping Welker are either just overreacting, or aren't true fans.

I appreciate the words coming from an outsider though, hopefully it gives a little perspective to some of the people laying blame.

And to that end, there is no 'blame' to go around. They lost, it happens unfortunately.

Or, if you're going to blame anyone, blame whoever decided on the prolate spheroid, because I'm willing to bet a sphere is recovered by the Pats on at least 1 of those 2 fumbles.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Always good to get your perspective, Steelcurtain.  My perspective, and I've stated it elsewhere in this forum, is that the Giants made the plays when they needed to and the Pats did not.  I don't think it is any more complicated than that. 

That the Pats came within one play of winning it all with a flawed team is reason for optimism in my opinion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Steel, I so agree.  After the Mannigham catch, the Giants STILL had to get into FG range or better and the Pats D could still have stopped them in the subsequent plays.  They didn't.  Same about the Patriots offense after the Welker miss, they didn't.  You always hate to think about the one play that could, woulda, shoulda, but, what about all the other plays that followed that could, woulda, shoulda?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

Great point. The Welker drop was just one play. Had he made the catch they would still have needed to gain one more first down to guarantee Eli sits on the bench watching the time expire. And so the Manningham catch was the same, a key play, but they still needed to go down and get points after it. While both plays significantly increased or decreased the chances at victory, neither was a "walk-off". Welker is a great player, and I hope they sign him long term. Without him this team doesn't even make the playoffs, IMO. The people here blasting Welker are just upset at the loss. I seriously doubt most of them really think NE should let him walk because of the one bad play. They made the plays in the end, we didn't. That is usually how these big games go. Being a Patriots fan since the 60s I can't complain. Losing the SB stinks, but is MUCH better than seeing your team go 2-12 or 3-11 every year!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Like Welker said, it was a catch that he has made 1000 times in his career. Now if you threw that ball to him 1000 times, I doubt he comes up with it 999 times, but he probably would catch it 90% of the time.

I don't blame Wes at all. He was the reason we were even in that position in the first place.

SC, I'm going to have to disagree though. One play can lose a game. I mean, if one play can win a game for one team, then that play loses the game for the other team right?

The David Tyree catch, the Wes Welker drop, the Manningham sideline grab. Those were all plays that basically changed the game from an L to a W for the Giants. I agree with everyone saying that the Giants made the plays to win. I just hate how those plays were all improbable, 4% chance of success plays.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game!:
    [QUOTE]Steel, I so agree.  After the Mannigham catch, the Giants STILL had to get into FG range or better and the Pats D could still have stopped them in the subsequent plays.  They didn't.  Same about the Patriots offense after the Welker miss, they didn't.  You always hate to think about the one play that could, woulda, shoulda, but, what about all the other plays that followed that could, woulda, shoulda?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. After the Welker drop, Brady completed 2 of 7 passes (one being the Hail Mary) for 30 yards. For the Giants, the Manningham catch only put them at the 50 yard-line. They completed 4 of 5 passes after that for another 36 yards on the drive that put them in a position where they had to concede the touchdown versus play for the FG.

At the end of the game, when plays needed to be made, the Giants made them and the Patriots did not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Good post as always SteelCurtain!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't think there is any lack of appreciation among Pats' fans for Wes despite the dropped pass.

Now, a lack of appreciation for Brady? Definitely.

I see the D FAILs to get the winning stops as the ongoing issue rather than Wes being anything other than a great asset.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game! : I totally agree. After the Welker drop, Brady completed 2 of 7 passes (one being the Hail Mary) for 30 yards. For the Giants, the Manningham catch only put them at the 50 yard-line. They completed 4 of 5 passes after that for another 36 yards on the drive that put them in a position where they had to concede the touchdown versus play for the FG. At the end of the game, when plays needed to be made, the Giants made them and the Patriots did not.
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]

Remember the other two incomplete passes were also a dropped pass.  If you take away dropped passes and a hail mary pass, Brady would be 2 for 4 = 50%.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Steel, I so agree.  After the Mannigham catch, the Giants STILL had to get into FG range or better and the Pats D could still have stopped them in the subsequent plays.  They didn't.  Same about the Patriots offense after the Welker miss, they didn't.  You always hate to think about the one play that could, woulda, shoulda, but, what about all the other plays that followed that could, woulda, shoulda?

Sorry, but your options are so severely limited given 57 seconds to score a TD on a long long drive that you're in miracle territory with that. Even another 30 seconds means everything regarding what you can do and what the D has to contend with.

Add in even one drop (almost any mistake at all) and that problem of just 57 seconds becomes multiplied greatly.

When the D had to let them score it was sheer desperation at that point. It is unfair to call the O for not getting a long TD with that kind of time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Always good to get your perspective, Steelcurtain.  My perspective, and I've stated it elsewhere in this forum, is that the Giants made the plays when they needed to and the Pats did not.  I don't think it is any more complicated than that.  That the Pats came within one play of winning it all with a flawed team is reason for optimism in my opinion.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Near the end the O had a chance to win it and Wes dropped the likely ball to claim it. At the very end the D FAILed to get the stop to win it.

The 57 seconds was nothing more than a hail mary drive to begin with. With that kind of time and distance you would need a breakdown by the D to really get the win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game! : Remember the other two incomplete passes were also a dropped pass.  If you take away dropped passes and a hail mary pass, Brady would be 2 for 4 = 50%.  
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I am not talking about Brady specifically. I am talking about the Patriots as a team not making plays when the game was on the line. Although, 2 for 4 is not that great.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Your correct but Welker should have made the play. People making excuses for it are ridiculous. If they won nobody would have been going " thank god Welker made that sick catch " and you all know it because it's a catch he should have made. Tyree catch, Manningham pass and catch were far more difficult. You have to make that play. Period. A few years ago Santonio Holmes coffin catch in the corner to win a SB and Welker drops that pass?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

not always true to your title.

For instance Lee evans drop in the afc title game cost the ravens a win. a TD with 15 seconds to play = game over. the drop means the ravens have to kick to send it to over time.

In the superbowl however there are 6 -9 different plays which played a part in the loss.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Agreed, though Wes put it on his shoulders he didn't make the catch, TB did not make the best pass either. But the fact is the offense had two more chances after WW dropped it and didn't execute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

[QUOTE]not always true to your title. For instance Lee evans drop in the afc title game cost the ravens a win. a TD with 15 seconds to play = game over. the drop means the ravens have to kick to send it to over time. In the superbowl however there are 6 -9 different plays which played a part in the loss.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

A lot of good reply's. Chasa.. You aren't giving any credit to the defensive back for getting his hand in there. Chasa, your defense has taken enough abuse from the fans and the media this year, at least give them credit when they do make a play. I have to agree with Babe though, who's to say if the defense would have stopped the Giants if Welker makes the catch and New England kick's a field-goal? And how can you say if he makes that catch that New England gets a TD or even a FG? Your field-goal kicker is almost automatic, but there's always a possibility of a bad snap or even a block...or the kick goes wide.
     It was a great game and it sucks to lose (I know, I went through it after the loss to G, Bay last year) Seemed like a pretty lame fumble by Mendenhall, but even had the Steelers gone down and scored a TD...not sure if the Defense could have stopped the Packers...they hadn't done it the whole game.
     I think you guys have a lot to look forward to next year. I'm sure BB will look to make changes on the defensive side, and also come up with a deep threat. If he can just tweak things a little, I see New England being at the top again next year.
      Hate to hear about Kevin Faulk probably retiring. Always loved the way he played the game. One of the best backs I've ever seen catching the ball out of the backfield. I always thought he gave them such a spark when they needed one. I can't even count the number of times he picked up a big third down, on a little swing pass out of the backfield against the Steelers. Seems like a great guy also!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If a game comes down to one play, the real issue isn't what happens on that one play but what happened before the play to make the game come down to just one play. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game! :  A lot of good reply's. Chasa.. (I know, I went through it after the loss to G, Bay last year) Seemed like a pretty lame fumble by Mendenhall, but even had the Steelers gone down and scored a TD...not sure if the Defense could have stopped the Packers...they hadn't done it the whole game.  Posted by Steelcurtain75[/QUOTE]
    Hey, Steel...  When the Steelers lost last year, did the fans in that town go ballistic on the team and Big Ben like we are seeing with a number of Pats' fans here?  I find it incredible given the season the Pats had with that D and all for these fans here to show so little appreciation for their efforts to get to the SB for the FIFTH time in 11 years!  You can grumble, but to say Brady, Welker and the team now su*ks!  Talk about an entitlement mentality!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from modod. Show modod's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game! : Hey, Steel...  When the Steelers lost last year, did the fans in that town go ballistic on the team and Big Ben like we are seeing with a number of Pats' fans here?  I find it incredible given the season the Pats had with that D and all for these fans here to show so little appreciation for their efforts to get to the SB for the FIFTH time in 11 years!  You can grumble, but to say Brady, Welker and the team now su*ks!  Talk about an entitlement mentality!

Yeah, pretty sad when you consider how many of the same people were writing off any chance at the SB halfway through the season when the D was having so much trouble. You've got to credit the whole team for the effort to even get to the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed, though Wes put it on his shoulders he didn't make the catch, TB did not make the best pass either. But the fact is the offense had two more chances after WW dropped it and didn't execute.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter that they had 2 more chances. They had the 1st and a big gain if the catchable ball is caught.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game! : It doesn't matter that they had 2 more chances. They had the 1st and a big gain if the catchable ball is caught.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

I agree they would have had a big gain and a first down, but the Brady to Wes non-catch did not lose the game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One play can win a game, but one play can't lose a game! : I agree they would have had a big gain and a first down, but the Brady to Wes non-catch did not lose the game.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

I agree, and even if they got that first down there was still 4:06 left. Would have have needed two maybe three first downs to run out the clock without scoring. Since they would have been at the 19 yard-line. That doesn't work out. There is no guarantee the get the TD and they cannot run out the clock from the 19 with over 4 minutes left. If the kick a field goal around the two minute warning that is still plenty of time for the Giants to try to score a game winning touchdown (which they have proven they are capable of doing versus the Patriots D).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

Why is a steeler fan allowed to coment here?