One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position AND WHAT PLAYER

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position AND WHAT PLAYER

I say Get An elite wr out of the 40 wr's expected to be drafted (one of the big outside guys. Yes our defense needs to get better and if we pcik correctly it will, but one player to make the biggest difference, if we get a guy who is virtually uncoverable because of his size, hands, and catch radius, i thing that would be the biggest difference. 

the other 2 players / and position id most like to have are fleener te and jenkins cb (or other surest cb). right now i think jenkins is the only sure thing at cb in our range.

we need d line and lb but i dont know 1 player that would be irreplaceable at those positions in our reach (nor do i think any 1 would make more of a difference than the top 220 lb outside wr).

so draft the lb and d line, but prioritize jenkins (or other sure thing cb) and the top big outside wr.

getting fleener would almost be as good and moving hern to hback/slot/wr

how would you answer the original question
    and subsequent one if you like?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position.

An elite WR seems like a waste. Scoring has never been our problem getting to the playoffs it's been the D holding a lead or the O holding a lead. In the case of the O, a more effective running game when they have the lead would be what's called for, but I don't like the idea of a RB making the biggest difference.

Instead I'm going with a consistent interior pass rush. I know that it's practically impossible to find a Seymour, but a Seymour type makes it almost night and day. Just having that one dominating consistent force on the line causes the other team to react creating opportunities around them. The LB's then improve and can get to the QB quicker, or have less issues setting the edge against runs. With LB's getting to the QB quicker it improves the secondary by taking the burden off their shoulders and lets them be more aggressive. Having that one dominant interior pass rusher is first and foremost on my list, then a edge rusher, then a ball hawking coverage S, then maybe the RB, then WR. Longer term though I would put WR ahead of RB, but you were looking for this year I presume

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position.

I would agree with PatsEng. A dominant interior DL that can eat up doubles, shoot gaps and penetrate and represents a significant upgrade over brace, pryor, love. I may put a dominant DE at the same priority, then a rush olb and safety/corner that can cover the back half. A dominant WR is great, and I may take one on this draft depending on who is there, but it's lower on my priority list at this point assuming Welker signs his tender and we get production from Lloyd. I would look later in the draft for a WR/KR combo kid that can boost our st play and perhaps take over for Welker in a couple of years. A kid like Ty Hilton or Rainey would be great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here's my dream draft scenario: 1 terrifyingly poor underproducing & unproductive D-Lineman, like Michael Brockers, or just someone playing any position out of UConn.  Then a quick pass on The Safety but only if I can nab 1 overrated Corner with serious off-field red flags & whose game has gotten so worse every year in college that he was simply shamed at The Senior Bowl.  Then (I mean, we're talkin' ideally here-Perfect World)- 1 3rd down Runningback (Woodhead & Vereen & even Faulk just aren't gonna completely cut it for me)...I know some of you want a #1 Runningback...I however, will pass on a #1, right on the spot- NO Questions Asked=He's absolutely outta the picture from the get-go.  Thennnn, I'd like a long-snapper- But I WILL settle for a really, really bad special team's gunner on punt returns (but only IF the long-snappers NOT undersized...like say if, the LS's something like 5'10 and 195lbs, I'll actually pull the trigger to trade up to get him).  Finally, I'd like a Punter to compliment my new stud long snapper...but only the 4th highest rated one, on down.  Oh, OH!=Wild Cat Quarterback...but only if he's got an pathetic 40 time, and is currently injured (and has his surgical date set sometime in late summer).

Tellin'ya- We come away with that haul, and I'm the happiest guy alive...even IF we can only solidify a future 7th rounder rather than a sweet-#ss 6th Rder from some perrenial playoff team for the 2013 Draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position.:
    [QUOTE]An elite WR seems like a waste. Scoring has never been our problem getting to the playoffs it's been the D holding a lead or the O holding a lead. In the case of the O, a more effective running game when they have the lead would be what's called for, but I don't like the idea of a RB making the biggest difference. Instead I'm going with a consistent interior pass rush. I know that it's practically impossible to find a Seymour, but a Seymour type makes it almost night and day. Just having that one dominating consistent force on the line causes the other team to react creating opportunities around them. The LB's then improve and can get to the QB quicker, or have less uses setting the edge against runs. With LB's getting to the QB quicker it improves the secondary by taking the burden off their shoulders and lets them be more aggressive. Having that one dominant interior pass rusher is first and foremost on my list, then a edge rusher, then a ball hawking coverage S, then maybe the RB, then WR. Longer term though I would put WR ahead of RB, but you were looking for this year I presume
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Yes, an improved running game could change the dynamics of defensive pressure and the ability of teams to blitz. A credible running game would cause defenses to respect that threat but (as Rick Patino might say) Larry Psonka isn't walking through that door... Why is it that we only see the lack of a running game as a flaw resting with our RBs? Why not recognize that it is  often the inadequacy of the OL to provide a decent forward thrust that impacts the quality of the running game? When the running back has no room to run and is tackled at the LOS or even in the backfield, where lies the responsibility?  Yes, it's always lack of execution by the OL but how often do we get a chance to draft a " Road-Grader" that routinely penetrates the defensive line and ALSO excels in pass protection?

While we have good talent at the center position neither player is a "road-grader" that can reliably provide a decent forward thrust.  We instead must rely on stunts etc. This draft has a genuine "Blue-Chip" center (Konz) that could substantially improve our running game.  Do we duplicate an already existing position with the thought of drafting a potential Pro Bowl player that will stabilizing the position for the next 10 years?  Why then has BB  signed Koppen to a two year extension?  It could be that BB doesn't believe that Konz will be there at #27 or that he plans to trade #27 down and knows that Konz will not last to #31.  It could also be that BB plans to completely trade out of the first round or will, surprisingly, trade up for a special defender.

As bloggers we lack the inside information that teams generally profess to know about prospective draft candidates.  BB, like Danny Ainge, has done remarkably well drafting late but both have missed badly as well.  While I understand our needs on defense I often wonder at BB grand plan when blue-chip players are within reach yet cast aside for (what appears to be) lesser talent. I expect to be similarly baffled by the maestro once again!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skorpion76. Show skorpion76's posts

Trent Richardson hands down!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The real sleepers come later in the draft, at least they do in Foxboro.  Hernandez is just tremendous for a fourth rounder.  People won't remember someday that Gronk dropped to the second round, and wasn't the first Patriot pick.

It would be nice to get a wide receiver, but they usually take a year or two to blossom.  Pass rushers can usually jump right in.  If I had to pick one available player I'd go with Michael Brockers, who is raw as all get out but he and Vince would virtually end an opponent's running game, and then they would create an inside rush which has a nice interception effect even when it doesn't get to the quarterback.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position.:
    [QUOTE]...Scoring has never been our problem getting to the playoffs it's been the D holding a lead or the O holding a lead. I...

at the risk of getting into THE endless debate about what really happened during the the two sb games, i would argue that your statement is only true during the regular season. i believe the team has struggled to score in the playoffs, particularly in the two sb losses.

the notion of this team being a high scoring team is based on averages that mean some in general, but not when it matters most - against good teams, particularly, good Ds. you're an engineer (i presume). so you know that averages can be misleading. it's like that guy that the stats professor would talk about - the guy with his head in the oven on high temp and his foot immersed in a bucket of ice water, and says he's perfectly fine. in the case of the pats, it's like having two fats of the scoring curve - on on the far right and one on the far left (assuming your x is pts scored).

i can't argue against getting a DL though. the past does not necessarily determine what is needed for the future. also, there is more than one way to win in the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position. : at the risk of getting into THE endless debate about what really happened during the the two sb games, i would argue that your statement is only true during the regular season. i believe the team has struggled to score in the playoffs, particularly in the two sb losses. the notion of this team being a high scoring team is based on averages that mean some in general, but not when it matters most - against good teams, particularly, good Ds. you're an engineer (i presume). so you know that averages can be misleading. it's like that guy that the stats professor would talk about - the guy with his head in the oven on high temp and his foot immersed in a bucket of ice water, and says he's perfectly fine. in the case of the pats, it's like having two fats of the scoring curve - on on the far right and one on the far left (assuming your x is pts scored). i can't argue against getting a DL though. the past does not necessarily determine what is needed for the future. also, there is more than one way to win in the playoffs.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Stats can be misleading but can also provide an awareness of what ails us on offense when facing strong defenses. When a team passes almost 75% of the time they telegraph their offensive intentions. Further, without an outside wr threat defenses can focus on the short and mid field areas in coverage. Lastly, and most importantly, without a sound running game defenses can concentrate on rushing the QB and not worry about our ground game.

Our OL is better adept in pass protection than providing a superior forward thrust to enable a productive running game. Our centers lack the size, bulk and strength to dominate defenders. We don't have a road-grader in the middle to collapse the defense and force defenses to stay at home instead of bull rushing the QB.

Despite all this, had Gronk been 100% healthy we would have had a SB victory despite our shortcomings on offense and defense. However, this unique FA period and the upcoming draft should be able to lessen our vulnerabilities on O and D. It all depends upon the "value" available to us when our turn comes!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]An elite WR seems like a waste. Scoring has never been our problem getting to the playoffs it's been the D holding a lead or the O holding a lead. In the case of the O, a more effective running game when they have the lead would be what's called for, but I don't like the idea of a RB making the biggest difference. Instead I'm going with a consistent interior pass rush. I know that it's practically impossible to find a Seymour, but a Seymour type makes it almost night and day. Just having that one dominating consistent force on the line causes the other team to react creating opportunities around them. The LB's then improve and can get to the QB quicker, or have less issues setting the edge against runs. With LB's getting to the QB quicker it improves the secondary by taking the burden off their shoulders and lets them be more aggressive. Having that one dominant interior pass rusher is first and foremost on my list, then a edge rusher, then a ball hawking coverage S, then maybe the RB, then WR. Longer term though I would put WR ahead of RB, but you were looking for this year I presume

Ditto for me on this post. 

O is not the problem, although I still think a vet back to show Ridley and Vereen the way is not out of the question.  Maybe they have that guy already in Larsen/Fiametta (sp?).  I don't see WR as a huge need just now, but maybe they take a flier and try to develop a guy with a later round pick.   

Some will argue that D is not the problem, but the Pats need some playmakers, esp. if they hope to replace the pass rush that Anderson and Carter provided.   Something tells me that Carter will be back though, and maybe Carter Jr. and Cunningham can bring something to the table after not seeing much action last year.  And they def. need an upgrade over Brown, Ihedigbo (I like him in a lesser role) and Barrett.  Chung is the SS (I know, the Pats don't really employ the FS/SS titles) and the secondary could use a guy who can cover better than him.  I think they could also use another guy to play 3/4 or 4/3 DE, too.   

Bottom line, I think the Pats are going to upgrade the D-Line somewhere during the draft, and very early unless they love one of the avialable safeties.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Fletcher Cox, Nick Perry, Stephen Hill, Janoris Jenkins, Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson. That will get you multiple SB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]The real sleepers come later in the draft, at least they do in Foxboro.  Hernandez is just tremendous for a fourth rounder.  People won't remember someday that Gronk dropped to the second round, and wasn't the first Patriot pick. It would be nice to get a wide receiver, but they usually take a year or two to blossom.  Pass rushers can usually jump right in.  If I had to pick one available player I'd go with Michael Brockers, who is raw as all get out but he and Vince would virtually end an opponent's running game, and then they would create an inside rush which has a nice interception effect even when it doesn't get to the quarterback.
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

i love the brockers potential too. if he wee around at 27 i could see that.
    i dotn see trading up to get him (unless he falls to like 25 with a next years pick)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I would agree with PatsEng. A dominant interior DL that can eat up doubles, shoot gaps and penetrate and represents a significant upgrade over brace, pryor, love. I may put a dominant DE at the same priority, then a rush olb and safety/corner that can cover the back half. A dominant WR is great, and I may take one on this draft depending on who is there, but it's lower on my priority list at this point assuming Welker signs his tender and we get production from Lloyd. I would look later in the draft for a WR/KR combo kid that can boost our st play and perhaps take over for Welker in a couple of years. A kid like Ty Hilton or Rainey would be great.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

hey lifer. my intention with the the question, not just the position, but the player who could do it and who realisticaly we can land with our picks.

ie if we got 3 stars at thsoe positions that would be outstanding (and in fact was how i started my draft prreferences). im just thinking that our de may not be mcuh better next year with the way bb picks, be even so, an uncoverable outside receiver woudl do wonders, even if he jsu tran down th efield.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

heres the players to go with my positions. it was late last night when i posted.

one of these pairs of players:

hill/jeffery  or fleener as another option
    kirpatrick/jenkins

and id try to get one of these pairs later:

reyes/wolfe/winn
    branch/ curry/mclellin
    zeitler/ jones//silatolu
    broyles/coale/hemingway

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position AND WHAT PLAYER

i made up my mind... ingram

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]An elite WR seems like a waste. Scoring has never been our problem getting to the playoffs it's been the D holding a lead or the O holding a lead. In the case of the O, a more effective running game when they have the lead would be what's called for, but I don't like the idea of a RB making the biggest difference. Instead I'm going with a consistent interior pass rush. I know that it's practically impossible to find a Seymour, but a Seymour type makes it almost night and day. Just having that one dominating consistent force on the line causes the other team to react creating opportunities around them. The LB's then improve and can get to the QB quicker, or have less issues setting the edge against runs. With LB's getting to the QB quicker it improves the secondary by taking the burden off their shoulders and lets them be more aggressive. Having that one dominant interior pass rusher is first and foremost on my list, then a edge rusher, then a ball hawking coverage S, then maybe the RB, then WR. Longer term though I would put WR ahead of RB, but you were looking for this year I presume

your post makes sense, however my post is about the practical not theoretical.
    how do you execute getting your seymour with pick 27.
    elite de at 31/
    is there anyone who can fit what you want with our picks

and if not, who in the draft WITH OUR PICKS would you choose to make the biggest difference in our team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Fletcher Cox, Nick Perry, Stephen Hill, Janoris Jenkins, Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson. That will get you multiple SB.
    Posted by leonardo0110[/QUOTE]

who do you select of those with the picks we have?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Trent Richardson hands down!
    Posted by skorpion76[/QUOTE]

please make it executable not just theoretical

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position. : at the risk of getting into THE endless debate about what really happened during the the two sb games, i would argue that your statement is only true during the regular season. i believe the team has struggled to score in the playoffs, particularly in the two sb losses. the notion of this team being a high scoring team is based on averages that mean some in general, but not when it matters most - against good teams, particularly, good Ds. you're an engineer (i presume). so you know that averages can be misleading. it's like that guy that the stats professor would talk about - the guy with his head in the oven on high temp and his foot immersed in a bucket of ice water, and says he's perfectly fine. in the case of the pats, it's like having two fats of the scoring curve - on on the far right and one on the far left (assuming your x is pts scored). i can't argue against getting a DL though. the past does not necessarily determine what is needed for the future. also, there is more than one way to win in the playoffs.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

re"there is more than one way to win in the playoffs."

seattle, that is the crux of what manyt here on the board may be missing. there is no reason to get pissed off at each other just because we may have different visions of the future or different analysis of the past. understanding the different ways others see it or a future vision of what they see is what makes it fun (not a reason for me to attack it because it's different from mine).

this inspires appreciation and camaraderie. which is a whole lot more fun than dissension.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position. : Stats can be misleading but can also provide an awareness of what ails us on offense when facing strong defenses. When a team passes almost 75% of the time they telegraph their offensive intentions. Further, without an outside wr threat defenses can focus on the short and mid field areas in coverage. Lastly, and most importantly, without a sound running game defenses can concentrate on rushing the QB and not worry about our ground game. Our OL is better adept in pass protection than providing a superior forward thrust to enable a productive running game. Our centers lack the size, bulk and strength to dominate defenders. We don't have a road-grader in the middle to collapse the defense and force defenses to stay at home instead of bull rushing the QB. Despite all this, had Gronk been 100% healthy we would have had a SB victory despite our shortcomings on offense and defense. However, this unique FA period and the upcoming draft should be able to lessen our vulnerabilities on O and D. It all depends upon the "value" available to us when our turn comes!
    Posted by moskk[/QUOTE]

love the post (have made teh same points myself). and totally agree we win if gronk was healthy,
    in fact my full analysis was that it took a  perfect storm of several factors to lose that game. however the biggest one is that it was p@ssed away by obrian particular in the second half. (the biggest part of the perfect storm was obrian not leaving for penn state immediately).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position. : Ditto for me on this post.  O is not the problem, although I still think a vet back to show Ridley and Vereen the way is not out of the question.  Maybe they have that guy already in Larsen/Fiametta (sp?).  I don't see WR as a huge need just now, but maybe they take a flier and try to develop a guy with a later round pick.    Some will argue that D is not the problem, but the Pats need some playmakers, esp. if they hope to replace the pass rush that Anderson and Carter provided.   Something tells me that Carter will be back though, and maybe Carter Jr. and Cunningham can bring something to the table after not seeing much action last year.  And they def. need an upgrade over Brown, Ihedigbo (I like him in a lesser role) and Barrett.  Chung is the SS (I know, the Pats don't really employ the FS/SS titles) and the secondary could use a guy who can cover better than him.  I think they could also use another guy to play 3/4 or 4/3 DE, too.    Bottom line, I think the Pats are going to upgrade the D-Line somewhere during the draft, and very early unless they love one of the avialable safeties.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

i defintiely think the de is a HUGE problem.
    however my envisioning with the question is that we likely wont get an elite de or dt or maybe even lb in the draft, but ok players.
    given what i think will happen, what single move would put us over the top in the playoffs and sb.

so im thinking a hill or jeffery (guys who may require a double team even by the end of the season even if they just run down the field). expect 1 will be there adn 2 may even be there at our pick or near.

and 2nd potentially biggest difference maker, a jenkins or kirpatrick in the secondary (who may be reachable at our draft postion)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position AND WHAT PLAYER

Alright, in all seriousness now in order to answer the Q you posed here bredbru:

Unfortunately, and as it stands for NE, the greatest impact player that would directly in turn Best Help Us & Best suit our Current Needs (Trent Richardson @ RB), Unfortunately imo IS NOT the biggest Positional Shortcoming & Direct & Absolute FAR More Critical NEED, that NE must take care of & address IF We are to fulfill the 2nd aspect of your qualifying Ultimate Question when all's said & done (i.e. "Biggest Difference to help WIN a Superbowl")...that imo, ABSOLUTELY goes to either: 1 impact performing player (even if just above average currently, but not yet elite) whom can play & make any sorta nominal impact at BOTH 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT (seperately & together due to his physical components, skill-set, & versatility to be able to do both)/ "And/OR" (an equally critical component that NE has a really sub-par current shortcoming at) IS: 1 impact performing player (once again, even IF during said player's start time on field, isn't currently & trully "Elite", but is simply above-average for his 2013 Rookie Year) whom can play & make any sorta nominal impact at BOTH 3-4 Weakside OLB and 4-3 DE (Weakside on any given down &/or Strong or Weak 4-3 DE on certain passing downs and yardage).

THIS is what we need.  IF you're thinkin' "Superbowl", either of this spots WOULD help NE get to that Lombardi Podium, more than a #1 Runningback, and even more than a Top Safety (and yea...we could REALLY use a couple impact performers at those 2 positions as well).

Thus, rather than even the highly talented likes of Trent Richardson (RB) & Mark Barron (S), In terms of where NE currently is on their roster & a position of equally sub-par talent & definate need (Roster-wise), BUT Greater overall weight & Overall Ultimate Impact to solidify a Championship Ring come the upcoming year, These other 2 Positions should be viewed as those which would carry much more final weight & power towards that ultimate 2013 NE Superbowl Goal that you pose on here...

It ALL starts in the trenches imo...  And in just taking 1 small look at what NE's D-Line trench, looks like, right at this exact moment, Should very much be a rude awakening for ALL of Us...  After Vince Wilfork....wow- W-O-W...and 1 more "Omg, Wow- freak!n' fvgly 'w-o-w'," for good measure (note: anyone know why fvgly is a banned word?)  

Devon Still at his size (6'5 even and 303lbs), and at his complimentary skill-set (long & wide, with just enough strength <26 bench />, and speed <low 40 of 4.94, high 40 of 5.03 />), and at his awesome attitude, PLUS Still's short-area speed & initial lightning burst right at the split-second of the snap, added with his motor & his capability of playing with a low pad level- Makes Devon Still Prospect A#1 in my book, IF you're looking for THE Best Player who can perform at an equally Above-Average level at BOTH 3-4 DE AND 4-3 DT.  Right now, In terms of what A Prospect can offer and bring, coupled with What I need for my team in NE- Devon Still is Top 3 on MY Team's Own Big Board...Hands Down.  He's the guy I'm targeting... 
         And I could use 2 of 'em...Which is WHY Derek Wolfe @ just over 6'5 and 295lbs with a 5.01 40 at that size and 33 bench reps, a guy who was absolutely DOMINATING The O-Line at The Senior Bowl, WOULD Be, Within The Top 5 or 6 out of ALL The 2012 Draft Prospects, On MY Own NE Patriots Overall Big Board...I would pull the trigger Immediately on him with that first 2nd Round Draft Pick- But the inside & best informed current word is right now, He might not even fall THAT far.  

And IF you want that 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB...you're best & biggest difference maker probably would be: Melvin Ingram...whom, due to his high draft status, would be unattainable when weighed in terms of also shoring up positions of great need with higher quality draft prospects.  In otherwords, you'd be leaving a little too much potential on the table in additional positional spot(s) elsewhere, to make that Ingram pick.  Other than Ingram, you're getting potential for really good quality (however, with WAY more noteworthy shortcomings that may OR may not prove problematic) in these guys (guys whom you can target at a reasonable draft price and still target the other prospects at other numerous positional areas, as the end's final take): Courtney Upshaw (it'll be extremely interesting to see where he falls, and if getting him is actually "doable"), then Andre Branch...
         But see?  There's the "rub" here with these guys.  Branch might be an ideal 3-4 OLB (no small task)...but he could VERY likely have a hard time at 4-3 DE; Same goes for Upshaw, this guy could be an absolute force @ 4-3 DE...but there's a very likely probability, at 3-4 OLB and in that much space, It might take him years to adapt to that (or not at all...or, it might scr#w up his quality of skill at 4-3 DE as a result).  ...And I sorta see this problem, right on down the line: Whether it be Shea McClellin (see Andre Branch), or Jonathan Massaquoi (see Courtney Upshaw), guys who look like they're hedging 1 way or another Chandler Jones (Upshaw), Jake Bequette (Branch), or guys who look the part (BOTH parts), but have an EXTREMELY small & limited 1-year "Wow!" collegiate tenure- Vinny Curry & Whitney Mercilus.  
         A conundrum...

Other than takin' a shot at 1 of these guys whom slip (b/c imho, it actually is absolutely worth while), Imho you'd be initially better suited to nab  1 of either: Doug Martin @ RB...because he'd be a pretty fun & unique RB to match D's up against (5'09 and shifty, but with a bulldozer body @ 223lbs), OR (b/c Martin's a higher & higher draft riser)- Seeing if you could target Mohammed Sanu (WR) AND Vick Ballard @ RB (later on).

Do things right, and NE could also come home with some OT/OG beast, who's performing stellar and offers potential at both spots, like 6'5 318lb Mitchell Schwartz, an OT/OG out of California who's only just rounding out The Top 90 Overall Draftees, And someone like mbeaulieu's and my own cool ILB/OLB 'tweeners: Miles Burris or Audie Cole (guys right outside the 150 Overall Big Board mark, or thereabouts); plus 1 Safety or 1 Cornerback who's Rated @ The 100-200 Mark Overall, but whom really should be rated much, much higher as an individual grade after taking a full gaze at their skill-set:  Markele Martin (S), Antonion Allen (S), Josh Norman (CB), Donnie Fletcher (CB), Antonio Allen (S), and maybe Shaun Prater (CB) or Leonard Johnson (CB).

~~~

That's what I would want...  Unless we're goin' by my 1st Post, In which case I'd like to change it up so I can now USE that 6th or 7th Rder I gained for 2013- I'd like to package that baby up with maybe 1 or 2 of my own 5th, 6th, or 7th Round Selections for 2013, so I can draft (again-Ideally) someone who's never played football, whom I can try to develop into a starting pro bowl Safety...  I'm thinkin' someone of very little worth (other than name), whom I'm pretty sure ALSO Highly overvalues himself-  Liiiike, IF I could get a Male Tennis Player (b/c a hot female tennis player, has some serious worth in MY eyes)- from maybe Monaco (or some other country who's sole worth is derived from people's pretentiously and nonsensically high opinion of it).  I'd like for him to have a weak backhand & an unbelievably snotty & elitist attitude to boot=BAM- 10 Year All-Pro Safety, written all over it. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position AND WHAT PLAYER:
    [QUOTE]Alright, in all seriousness now in order to answer the Q you posed here bredbru : Unfortunately, and as it stands for NE, the greatest impact player that would directly in turn Best Help Us & Best suit our Current Needs (Trent Richardson @ RB), Unfortunately imo IS NOT the biggest Positional Shortcoming & Direct & Absolute FAR More Critical NEED, that NE must take care of & address IF We are to fulfill the 2nd aspect of your qualifying Ultimate Question when all's said & done (i.e. "Biggest Difference to help WIN a Superbowl")...that imo, ABSOLUTELY goes to either: 1 impact performing player (even if just above average currently, but not yet elite) whom can play & make any sorta nominal impact at BOTH 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT (seperately & together due to his physical components, skill-set, & versatility to be able to do both)/ "And/OR" (an equally critical component that NE has a really sub-par current shortcoming at) IS: 1 impact performing player (once again, even IF during said player's start time on field, isn't currently & trully "Elite", but is simply above-average for his 2013 Rookie Year) whom can play & make any sorta nominal impact at BOTH 3-4 Weakside OLB and 4-3 DE (Weakside on any given down &/or Strong or Weak 4-3 DE on certain passing downs and yardage). THIS is what we need.  IF you're thinkin' "Superbowl", either of this spots WOULD help NE get to that Lombardi Podium, more than a #1 Runningback, and even more than a Top Safety (and yea...we could REALLY use a couple impact performers at those 2 positions as well). Thus, rather than even the highly talented likes of Trent Richardson (RB) & Mark Barron (S), In terms of where NE currently is on their roster & a position of equally sub-par talent & definate need (Roster-wise), BUT Greater overall weight & Overall Ultimate Impact to solidify a Championship Ring come the upcoming year, These other 2 Positions should be viewed as those which would carry much more final weight & power towards that ultimate 2013 NE Superbowl Goal that you pose on here... It ALL starts in the trenches imo...  And in just taking 1 small look at what NE's D-Line trench, looks like, right at this exact moment, Should very much be a rude awakening for ALL of Us...  After Vince Wilfork....wow- W-O-W...and 1 more "Omg, Wow- freak!n' fvgly 'w-o-w'," for good measure (note: anyone know why fvgly is a banned word?)   Devon Still at his size (6'5 even and 303lbs), and at his complimentary skill-set (long & wide, with just enough strength <26 bench />, and speed <low 40 of 4.94, high 40 of 5.03 />), and at his awesome attitude, PLUS Still's short-area speed & initial lightning burst right at the split-second of the snap, added with his motor & his capability of playing with a low pad level- Makes Devon Still Prospect A#1 in my book, IF you're looking for THE Best Player who can perform at an equally Above-Average level at BOTH 3-4 DE AND 4-3 DT.  Right now, In terms of what A Prospect can offer and bring, coupled with What I need for my team in NE- Devon Still is Top 3 on MY Team's Own Big Board...Hands Down.  He's the guy I'm targeting...       And I could use 2 of 'em...Which is WHY Derek Wolfe @ just over 6'5 and 295lbs with a 5.01 40 at that size and 33 bench reps, a guy who was absolutely DOMINATING The O-Line at The Senior Bowl, WOULD Be, Within The Top 5 or 6 out of ALL The 2012 Draft Prospects, On MY Own NE Patriots Overall Big Board...I would pull the trigger Immediately on him with that first 2nd Round Draft Pick- But the inside & best informed current word is right now, He might not even fall THAT far.   And IF you want that 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB...you're best & biggest difference maker probably would be: Melvin Ingram...whom, due to his high draft status, would be unattainable when weighed in terms of also shoring up positions of great need with higher quality draft prospects.  In otherwords, you'd be leaving a little too much potential on the table in additional positional spot(s) elsewhere, to make that Ingram pick.  Other than Ingram, you're getting potential for really good quality (however, with WAY more noteworthy shortcomings that may OR may not prove problematic) in these guys (guys whom you can target at a reasonable draft price and still target the other prospects at other numerous positional areas, as the end's final take): Courtney Upshaw (it'll be extremely interesting to see where he falls, and if getting him is actually "doable"), then Andre Branch...      But see?  There's the "rub" here with these guys.  Branch might be an ideal 3-4 OLB (no small task)...but he could VERY likely have a hard time at 4-3 DE; Same goes for Upshaw, this guy could be an absolute force @ 4-3 DE...but there's a very likely probability, at 3-4 OLB and in that much space, It might take him years to adapt to that (or not at all...or, it might scr#w up his quality of skill at 4-3 DE as a result).  ...And I sorta see this problem, right on down the line: Whether it be Shea McClellin (see Andre Branch), or Jonathan Massaquoi (see Courtney Upshaw), guys who look like they're hedging 1 way or another Chandler Jones (Upshaw), Jake Bequette (Branch), or guys who look the part (BOTH parts), but have an EXTREMELY small & limited 1-year "Wow!" collegiate tenure- Vinny Curry & Whitney Mercilus.        A conundrum... Other than takin' a shot at 1 of these guys whom slip (b/c imho, it actually is absolutely worth while), Imho you'd be initially better suited to nab  1 of either: Doug Martin @ RB...because he'd be a pretty fun & unique RB to match D's up against (5'09 and shifty, but with a bulldozer body @ 223lbs), OR (b/c Martin's a higher & higher draft riser)- Seeing if you could target Mohammed Sanu (WR) AND Vick Ballard @ RB (later on). Do things right, and NE could also come home with some OT/OG beast, who's performing stellar and offers potential at both spots, like 6'5 318lb Mitchell Schwartz, an OT/OG out of California who's only just rounding out The Top 90 Overall Draftees, And someone like mbeaulieu's and my own cool ILB/OLB 'tweeners: Miles Burris or Audie Cole (guys right outside the 150 Overall Big Board mark, or thereabouts); plus 1 Safety or 1 Cornerback who's Rated @ The 100-200 Mark Overall, but whom really should be rated much, much higher as an individual grade after taking a full gaze at their skill-set:  Markele Martin (S), Antonion Allen (S), Josh Norman (CB), Donnie Fletcher (CB), Antonio Allen (S), and maybe Shaun Prater (CB) or Leonard Johnson (CB).   ~~~ That's what I would want...  Unless we're goin' by my 1st Post, In which case I'd like to change it up so I can now USE that 6th or 7th Rder I gained for 2013- I'd like to package that baby up with maybe 1 or 2 of my own 5th, 6th, or 7th Round Selections for 2013, so I can draft (again-Ideally) someone who's never played football, whom I can try to develop into a starting pro bowl Safety...  I'm thinkin' someone of very little worth (other than name), whom I'm pretty sure ALSO Highly overvalues himself-  Liiiike, IF I could get a Male Tennis Player (b/c a hot female tennis player, has some serious worth in MY eyes)- from maybe Monaco (or some other country who's sole worth is derived from people's pretentiously and nonsensically high opinion of it).  I'd like for him to have a weak backhand & an unbelievably snotty & elitist attitude to boot=BAM- 10 Year All-Pro Safety, written all over it.        
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

so you think still makes is teh one difference maker in being sure to win the sb next year?
    can you list the rest in a b,c,d, e. in summation at the bottom of our post-make it easy to see the final result.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: One player In The Draft To Make the Biggest Difference to Help Win The Super. What Position. : who do you select of those with the picks we have?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

I think the D is one pass-rusher away from being complete, I have faith ( a little though) on the db's that we have and the ones that are getting healthy. So as I look at the roster Offensively I think another WR who can stretch the field younger,faster,taller, aside from lloyd will do wonders to this O. I'll go with Stephen Hill at Number 31 if he's there which I think he wont, the kid is a beast measurements wise. The #27 pick is exclusively for a pass-rusher or a trade up to get fletcher cox or brockers. The #31 pick I will use it on any impact player regardless of the position. I'll take Fleener there as well, I know we have 3 TE but I think having fleener,gronk,hernandez,wes,lloyd, at the same time on the field will be almost impossible to defend them. Basically, is a 3TE formation of some sort with a TE/WR (hernandez) lined up all over the field, lol I'm drooling over this man.

You're having two 6'6-6'7 monster both difficult to bring down, both difficult to defend one-on-one, both can catch and run. Then you have to defend lloyd, who knows how to get open, some one who fights for the ball regardless of how many defenders he has around him, a guy that catch everything thrown his way. Now you need to defend another weapon that is also hard to defend one-on-one in Hernandez, someone you'll find lined up all over the field, who will you put on him?. Here enters Wes the slippery little guy with the heart of a giant, not afraid to go into traffic and grabs the ball, another guy who is hard to defend one-on-one. The only thing that can hold an Offensive attack like that is the O-line, other than that good luck picking your poison.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Fletcher Cox and/or Trent Richardson would be the players who could help the Pats the most.

I would trade the 27th and 31st picks in a NY minute for Richardson. He is the "safest player" in the draft...and would breathe fire into the Pats' running game. Add Richardson to Ridley, Vereen, and Woodhead...and thats' a great RB corp.     

Sections
Shortcuts