One writer thinks we move up big?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One writer thinks we move up big?

Not sure what he was smoking but I got a good laugh at his logic.

One trade that hasn’t been made involves the Jaguars’ No. 10 overall pick. You’ve got to think the Jags — cash-strapped and facing another season of locally-televised blackouts — would love to trade down to the latter part of the first round and make a run at Mr. Jacksonville himself, Tim Tebow. Tebow at 10th overall makes no sense. But what about 22nd overall?

Huh?!

Just a thought — but what if New England were to package their No. 22 overall pick and one of their three second-rounders for the No. 10 spot? The Pats could grab RB C.J. Spiller and upgrade their aging offense in an instant and the Jags could spend low first-round cash, instead of Top 10 money, on a guy they likely covet very much.

With no second-round pick this April, Jacksonville’s going to have to make a move somewhere to get Tebow. How about with draft pick-rich New England? Tebow would pack the stadium, sell jerseys by the truck load, and create buzz for a team in desperate need of some in Northern Florida . Again, just a thought. I hope you’re reading this, Gene Smith.
    — Peter Schrager

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: One writer thinks we move up big?

I would not trade into the top 10 for a RB this year.  Suh or the other big DL maybe.  A revis like CB maybe.  A stud OT maybe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: One writer thinks we move up big?:
    I would not trade into the top 10 for a RB this year.  Suh or the other big DL maybe.  A revis like CB maybe.  A stud OT maybe.
    Posted by adam4522

I suggested a move before up to 5 with KC if Suh is still there.  Pioli owes us big time for the shafting he gave us giving up just a 2nd for Vrabel and Cassel.  I'd go #22, #44, our 6th and two 7s.  The point value would be in our favor but like I said, they owe us.  With another 6th and three 7s, we have the picks.

Suh could slip if Clausen and Bradford go to STL and WAS and TB and DET go with McCoy and Okung.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

It makes sense to speculate about the Pats, as they have a plethora (Si', El Guapo, you have a plethora) of picks, but I don't think the Pats are any more interested in trading up than Jacksonville is in wasting its first-round pick on Tebow. It's true Tebow makes the most sense in Jacksonville, but selling a few tickets and a few jerseys is a Band-Aid on a s*cking chest wound for that franchise. If they want the fans to come, they must get better. This is a team, let us not forget, that was the flavor of the month to supplant the class of the AFC only two years ago. If the Jagwires' brain trust doesn't find a way to convince its fan base that the franchise is headed in the right direction, they'll be kicking off as the Los Angeles Gridlock after the work stoppage.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

who knows what BB has up his sleeve this year. time for him to do the opposite of what he's done that last coupla years though. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Easy russ. I don't think it was a great deal either. One day after the deal in KC was done McDaniels in Denver was willing to give up a first rounder. The reports about the first rounder were true since the situation really imploded whatever relationship Cutler and McD could've had. I think the important point is that Belichick needed to get the deal done before FA (they signed a bunch of players right after the trade) while McD was trying to hide in the bushes a little bit.

And do you really think Cassel is a career backup after watching him play in 08 with the same O as Brady this year? Are you kidding? Remember those consecutive 400 yard games? Young quarterbacks don't grow on trees. There's no way any QB was going to be successful in KC last year, but put some talent around Cassel and he's a top 10 qb in this league. I'm sure McD still wants Cassel...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

There's no way any QB was going to be successful in KC last year, but put some talent around Cassel and he's a top 10 qb in this league. I'm sure McD still wants Cassel...
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

you are exactly right. i watched all the KC games last year, and he didn't have an o-line that could block or receiving corps. and they finally found a good running back late in the season. i think they'll improve alot this year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: One writer thinks we move up big? : I suggested a move before up to 5 with KC if Suh is still there.  Pioli owes us big time for the shafting he gave us giving up just a 2nd for Vrabel and Cassel. 
    Posted by Faucetman

Whether or not you think ne got shafted by pioli does not matter. in every deal you negotiate for the best value for yourself. the other side will do the same. if the other side don't bargain hard then you get what you want for less. it's the other guy's fault for not haggling harder. do you really think pioli thinks he owes ne?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I said it before but the Jags are another option but the option I was leaning towards for the same deal is Denver at 11. I am telling you Belichick likes CJ and that is one major reason he brought in Crumpler he thinks they can do another Crumpler and Chris Johnson type move but with CJ SPiller this time. Belichick is also a mentor to Clemson H.C. so you know he has all the info he needs on him and they don't need to interview just like with Mankins when they sprang on him and caught everyone flat footed.  Too many coincedences and I don't believe in them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

A shafting? Are you dumb?  Who franchises a back up QB? There would have been an investigation if they got anything more than #34 overall for Cassel. That was a fleecing by BB if anything.  A 7th rd QB pick in 2005 turns into a #34 overall in 2009?  The simple fact BB franchised a QB that everyone KNEW had to be traded is great AND he gets a high 2nd rder for it? You call this "Pioli shafting us"?  Really?  Thank god Pioli got a job as GM somewhere else because no one would have given a high 2nd for a  career back up/one year QB whom they had to turn around and pay a huge contract to.  
    Posted by russgriswold

ahhhhhhh, Al DAVIS????

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I'd trade a second rounder to Jacksonville for some next year goodies. Like maybe their second rounder (2011) and this years third(2010).Just think if we hadn't lost that other first rounder due to spygate. I like being draft pick rich.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Everyone wants that Suh, He'd cost more then Brady. What would Vince W and Mankins think about that? I'll be glad with a rookie wage scale. Draft day trades will go crazy. You might actually see someone trade for the number 1 overall. Ditka doesn't count.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Philskiw... I don't see how a rookie wage scale (slotted system) would do anything but reduce the amount of trading a pick out of the first round because one of the major considerations right now is if the tallent /expected benefit of drafting a player doesn't match up with the crazy money these picks get the higher they are drafted then that is why teams move out of that pick to a lower pick and the reason teams move up is because they need a player that equals the cost to sign at that pick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Easy russ. I don't think it was a great deal either. One day after the deal in KC was done McDaniels in Denver was willing to give up a first rounder. The reports about the first rounder were true since the situation really imploded whatever relationship Cutler and McD could've had. I think the important point is that Belichick needed to get the deal done before FA (they signed a bunch of players right after the trade) while McD was trying to hide in the bushes a little bit. And do you really think Cassel is a career backup after watching him play in 08 with the same O as Brady this year? Are you kidding? Remember those consecutive 400 yard games? Young quarterbacks don't grow on trees. There's no way any QB was going to be successful in KC last year, but put some talent around Cassel and he's a top 10 qb in this league. I'm sure McD still wants Cassel...
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Actually, he probably wouldn't be....like someone said, he has played with Brady's same offense that got Brady 50 TD's and playing boat load of bad teams and had an ok season.  Cassell was top 5 worst QB's playing against the best Passing D's....Brady was number 1.....I am not comparing the 2.....just saying...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

I agree that a 2nd for Cassel was a good trade for us. Now getting Oaklands 1st next year for Seymour could be seen as BB fleecing MR. Davis.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Posted by adam4522

I agree....our pass rush and offensive line are higher priorities (I hope). RB corp is not stellar, but serviceable. Would love to see another Ted Johnson-like player to go alongside Mayo. Hopefully, Crable or McKenzie will fill that role (I don't know if either are slated as ILB or OLB).

So many needs, so little time....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

IF! this was to happen I would not grad a RB, three guys I think are the options at 10.  Derick Morgan, Rolando McClain or JPP, those three are the guys I would hope if they move to 10 they are targeting.

Although Spiller is a great RB adding a game changing LB is more of a need IMO and any of those three would make our D better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

A couple of things. The 2007 offense was pretty much figured out after 10 weeks into the 2007 season, so if you compare the #'s from 2007  first and second halves you'd see vastly different numbers. Compare the pats first meetings against the Jets and Miami to the second. Totally different games. You have to admit the O was 'figured out' a bit. Also, I will admit Cassel was awful at first which may skew his numbers a bit, but he developed really well through the season and kept the team in contention. 

2007 was a perfect storm for the Pats offense to be great, so I don't think it's fair to compare any O to that. My point is that Cassel can play and is an above average QB. Brady is obviously better, but there's no need to crap all over a guy who kept the Pats alive when they shouldn't have been. 11-5 was an excellent record for that team and Cassel was a huge part of that. 

In Response to Re: One writer thinks we move up big? : Actually, he probably wouldn't be....like someone said, he has played with Brady's same offense that got Brady 50 TD's and playing boat load of bad teams and had an ok season.  Cassell was top 5 worst QB's playing against the best Passing D's....Brady was number 1.....I am not comparing the 2.....just saying...
    Posted by m1021us

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

Too much money - Chiefs are already strapped on the DL with high picks in Dorsey and Tyson Jackson. If Suh or McCoy are available at #5 theyll trade out. No way the patriots are that team.

Lets go down memory lane - Glen Dorsey was consider back in 2008 draft as one of the best defensive lineman. A pure NFL star. Hes hasnt lived up to that standard. And Tyson Jackson is falling just as fast as his stock rose after his combine measurables.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Philskiw... I don't see how a rookie wage scale (slotted system) would do anything but reduce the amount of trading a pick out of the first round because one of the major considerations right now is if the tallent /expected benefit of drafting a player doesn't match up with the crazy money these picks get the higher they are drafted then that is why teams move out of that pick to a lower pick and the reason teams move up is because they need a player that equals the cost to sign at that pick.

My point was that with a wage scale teams will want to trade up with out dumping their whole cap on one or 2 players. It won't cost salary cap money it will cost draft picks and or players.  I work out in the Cincinnati area and they just can't get it thru their heads that dumping their cap every year for one or 2 good players isn't going to make them a better team. They need to trade down and get depth. the lions picking in the top 5 hasn't made them a better team. Look at some of the players they have, but no depth. I like the direction the league is headed.

One more thing maybe I can get clarification on. If there is a lock out or work stoppage the draft picks just carry over to the first year back. What I mean is that we have Oaklands pick next year. If they lock out next year we still get that pick in 2012 if I'm not mistaken.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

From listening to the radio I've heard the draft will happen next year regardless of the lock out. I don't have a link but Paul Perillo and Tom Curran both agreed a first year players draft would happen in 2011. The team would still get rights to players, but if a lockout occurred they just wouldn't play. I've also read reports that a slotted pay scale system is not a sure thing. 

Philskiw... I don't see how a rookie wage scale (slotted system) would do anything but reduce the amount of trading a pick out of the first round because one of the major considerations right now is if the tallent /expected benefit of drafting a player doesn't match up with the crazy money these picks get the higher they are drafted then that is why teams move out of that pick to a lower pick and the reason teams move up is because they need a player that equals the cost to sign at that pick. My point was that with a wage scale teams will want to trade up with out dumping their whole cap on one or 2 players. It won't cost salary cap money it will cost draft picks and or players.  I work out in the Cincinnati area and they just can't get it thru their heads that dumping their cap every year for one or 2 good players isn't going to make them a better team. They need to trade down and get depth. the lions picking in the top 5 hasn't made them a better team. Look at some of the players they have, but no depth. I like the direction the league is headed. One more thing maybe I can get clarification on. If there is a lock out or work stoppage the draft picks just carry over to the first year back. What I mean is that we have Oaklands pick next year. If they lock out next year we still get that pick in 2012 if I'm not mistaken.
    Posted by Philskiw

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Rookie salaries are killing many teams in the NFL. I hope they do something.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Easy russ. I don't think it was a great deal either. One day after the deal in KC was done McDaniels in Denver was willing to give up a first rounder. The reports about the first rounder were true since the situation really imploded whatever relationship Cutler and McD could've had. I think the important point is that Belichick needed to get the deal done before FA (they signed a bunch of players right after the trade) while McD was trying to hide in the bushes a little bit. And do you really think Cassel is a career backup after watching him play in 08 with the same O as Brady this year? Are you kidding? Remember those consecutive 400 yard games? Young quarterbacks don't grow on trees. There's no way any QB was going to be successful in KC last year, but put some talent around Cassel and he's a top 10 qb in this league. I'm sure McD still wants Cassel...
    Posted by Rockdog1293000

Let's not start that debate again. McDaniels could have, should have, would have, blah, blah.

The fact is that McDaniels didn't put anything on the table and neither did anyone else. "Time was of the essence" and we ended up trading a seventh rounder for a second. Not too shabby, IMO.

We'll never know what went on with Vrabel. I tend to think that BB wanted to dump his salary, thinking he was at the end of the road. In retrospect,
    maybe he was wrong about that, but you know what they say about hindsight....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

When will people realize Vrabel is all done. Look at his stats last year. They are terrible

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

I wouldn't mind trading up but certainly not for a running back.  They are a dime a dozen and we need a pass rush!

Sections
Shortcuts