one year later

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

one year later

A year ago, discussion on Talib and Edelman were centered around their ability to stay healthy and active.  Talib was coming off a year where he had served a suspension and had a hip injury.  Edelman was on IR with a foot injury.  This year seems to have everyone forgetting this and calling for them to be resigned for big money.  I hope that the Patriots are smart enough to not put themselves in a hole on this.  Gronk and AH have caused salary cap problems this year.  If Talib and Edelman do get injured, where does that leave the team next year?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: one year later

that is not my thought at all....

I think Edelman is a valuable piece for this team. But he is also a system player, and others have shown they can be system players here with TB. Amendola, Boyce and KT can all play slot, and so can Collie and maybe Mo.

Talib is one of 5 players in the NFL that can do what BB and Patricia ask of him. We all thought that perhaps DMC was going to be able to fill that role his rookie year, but he could not stay healthy due to the physicality that BB demands from his CB's

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I think Edelman is a valuable piece for this team. But he is also a system player, and others have shown they can be system players here with TB. Amendola, Boyce and KT can all play slot, and so can Collie and maybe Mo.

Talib is one of 5 players in the NFL that can do what BB and Patricia ask of him. We all thought that perhaps DMC was going to be able to fill that role his rookie year, but he could not stay healthy due to the physicality that BB demands from his CB's

And neither can Talib apparently. So the OP is exactly correct...long money for a player who can't seem to stay on the field?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

A big contract for either of these guys is a sucker's bet.

This just emphasizes how crucial drafting is, and how we have failed in that regard.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

I was thinking an incentive laden 1 year contract with an optional 2nd year at the discretion of the patriots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The guy is brittle, it is a suckers bet. if he or his agent out price him he can move on.  Every team is talking an incentive laden deal.   He's not going to take that. Takes 2 sides to agree. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to sml1210's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And neither can Talib apparently. So the OP is exactly correct...long money for a player who can't seem to stay on the field?

[/QUOTE]

but its not long money. its fair market value. Talib isnt gointg to get Revis money. He is going to get Grimes money, with incentives and some team protection built in. If the Pats dont give it to him, some one else will.

IMO Talib is the domino. If the Pats sign him, then they roll the dice with Vince, Kelly and sign a vet DE in free agency. This is a top 3 defense. If Talib walks, then what? Dennerd, Arrington, Ryan and Dennerds brother? May as well let Vince and Kelly walk and start the rebuild of the D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]
    but its not long money. its fair market value. Talib isnt gointg to get Revis money. He is going to get Grimes money, with incentives and some team protection built in. If the Pats dont give it to him, some one else will.

IMO Talib is the domino. If the Pats sign him, then they roll the dice with Vince, Kelly and sign a vet DE in free agency. This is a top 3 defense. If Talib walks, then what? Dennerd, Arrington, Ryan and Dennerds brother? May as well let Vince and Kelly walk and start the rebuild of the D

[/QUOTE]

agreed, Rkarp. thinking of the Pats D without Talib scares me.

with Talib and couple good signings this defense could be tops in the NFL, which i was killed for in a thread right after the SB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

agreed, Rkarp. thinking of the Pats D without Talib scares me.

with Talib and couple good signings this defense could be tops in the NFL, which i was killed for in a thread right after the SB

[/QUOTE]

Won't happen with BB as GM. Guaranteed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to sml1210's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rebuild again? 

No thanks. If they don't sign Talib, sign DRC. In fact, I would rather have DRC over Talib. At least I know he will be there when needed. 

But I agree with you. Talib is the lynchpin that holds that secondary together. Without him it's tough sledding. 

Big question, but can ryan make a big jump into a starting role? He would be,opposite Dennard, and with Arrington on the field that is a small secondary. But, can it be done? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

Talib, healthy and reliable is worth a good contract...the guy that showed up the last two years is worth a decent, not good contract...he hasn't been in the final moments of the biggest game of either year...this WILL impact what the Pats will offer him, and it should.

That being said, yes, him on the field meant no team with a great receiver was a gaurenteed winner against us, and with him NOT on the field, we got handled pretty regularly if the other team could pass...scares me to think of them without him...but the Pats don't hand out contracts because the fans might be scared without any particular player...

I wouldn't mind seeing them pay a decent contract to a CB and/or a hard hitting S that would be standing at the end of a championship game...they need to do it in order to win a SB....heck they need to do it to win the eastern division.

Sections
Shortcuts