Opinions on the OL resignings and draft picks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Opinions on the OL resignings and draft picks

It looks increasing like Mankins isn't going to resign which regardless if he does or does not a G is going to need to be drafted. If Mankins doesn't resign though it might be possible to resign Light and move him to LG. As another poster already pointed out Light played LG in college and this is not to mention many pro-bowl caliber T's switched inside during the twilight of their careers. Usually it occurred when they started to slow down and were getting beat by quicker rushers off the edge. As we all know Light is starting to break down with the quicker pass rushes but can still hold his own against the power ends and is still a very capable blocker. This seems like an ideal situation for both him and the team if Mankins doesn't resign. Why would Light want to move inside? Well moving inside tends to increase your playing career and might get him a longer deal then if he was staying in the LT position. Why not move him to RT? Well the Pats already explored that option and he did not perform nearly as well on the right side then he does on the left.

Moving Light to LG and Vollmer to LT opens up the draft. For instance many want to draft a T high to replace Light but that comes at the expense of missing out on some of the top pass rushers. But, the best RT's tend to go in the early 2nd rather then middle of the 1st. Also by moving Light to LG you now can draft a RG instead of looking for a LG which like with the T's RG's tend to go later then their left side counter parts.

Some examples of RT's and RG's that have the potential to come in Day 1 and start are Cannon G (2-3), Watkins G (2-3), Moffitt G (2-3), Boling G (3-4), Sherrod T (2), Costanzo T (1-2), Barksdale T (2), Gilbert T (2-3), Morris G/T (4-5).

Now I might be thinking of this because I prefer D first and O second but this gives you a chance to grab 2 of the top rushing DE's and OLB's with your 2 first chosen picks and then trade back either #28 or #33 into the middle of the 2nd picking up extra picks or picks for next year and still grab a starting RT and RG with your next 2 picks. You come out filling holes on both sides of the ball and gain extra picks. Verses picking a OL early to fill the left side you might miss out on some of the better rushers in the draft.

Now feel free to call me crazy but I think this might be the best option. Resign Light move him to LG. Draft a RG and RT along with a project T/G later in the draft. Use the money you were going to spend on Mankins and get a vet RB and/or vet WR (Tolbert, Bush, Hightower, Kevin Smith, Ward, James Jones, Malcom Flyod)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Re: Opinions on the OL resignings and draft picks

In Response to Opinions on the OL resignings and draft picks:
    [QUOTE]It looks increasing like Mankins isn't going to resign which regardless if he does or does not a G is going to need to be drafted. If Mankins doesn't resign though it might be possible to resign Light and move him to LG. As another poster already pointed out Light played LG in college and this is not to mention many pro-bowl caliber T's switched inside during the twilight of their careers. Usually it occurred when they started to slow down and were getting beat by quicker rushers off the edge. As we all know Light is starting to break down with the quicker pass rushes but can still hold his own against the power ends and is still a very capable blocker. This seems like an ideal situation for both him and the team if Mankins doesn't resign. Why would Light want to move inside? Well moving inside tends to increase your playing career and might get him a longer deal then if he was staying in the LT position. Why not move him to RT? Well the Pats already explored that option and he did not perform nearly as well on the right side then he does on the left. Moving Light to LG and Vollmer to LT opens up the draft. For instance many want to draft a T high to replace Light but that comes at the expense of missing out on some of the top pass rushers. But, the best RT's tend to go in the early 2nd rather then middle of the 1st. Also by moving Light to LG you now can draft a RG instead of looking for a LG which like with the T's RG's tend to go later then their left side counter parts. Some examples of RT's and RG's that have the potential to come in Day 1 and start are Cannon G (2-3), Watkins G (2-3), Moffitt G (2-3), Boling G (3-4), Sherrod T (2), Costanzo T (1-2), Barksdale T (2), Gilbert T (2-3), Morris G/T (4-5). Now I might be thinking of this because I prefer D first and O second but this gives you a chance to grab 2 of the top rushing DE's and OLB's with your 2 first chosen picks and then trade back either #28 or #33 into the middle of the 2nd picking up extra picks or picks for next year and still grab a starting RT and RG with your next 2 picks. You come out filling holes on both sides of the ball and gain extra picks. Verses picking a OL early to fill the left side you might miss out on some of the better rushers in the draft. Now feel free to call me crazy but I think this might be the best option. Resign Light move him to LG. Draft a RG and RT along with a project T/G later in the draft. Use the money you were going to spend on Mankins and get a vet RB and/or vet WR (Tolbert, Bush, Hightower, Kevin Smith, Ward, James Jones, Malcom Flyod)  
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I would hope that Mankin returns either via a new slightly sweeter contract offer or via the Franchise tag - if it still applies under the new CBA - but either way - I hope he is back since he is their best OL and he doesnt get hurt so we really need to make sure he stays a Patriot 

Personally - I think the Patriots should draft a center/guard and another tackle at 32/33  For a tackle - if Constanzo is still around at  32/33  - I would draft him. Same with Pouncey - if he or another highly rated guard is available at 32/33 - I would draft them here with these 2 picks. I would use the  pick at 17 on defense - either an outside LB (JJ Watt??) or another legitimate pass rushing OLB that can hopefully play the run as well. - or a 5-technique defensive end. The defensive line has a of adequate support players but only Wilfork is dominant. I hope Ty Warren returns and plays up to his normal standards but he get hurt a lot and we need another big strong dominant defensive lineman to pair with Wilfork.

I really want to see the Patriots stregnthen their Offensive and Defensive lines in this draft. This OL is where the Jets (and Giants) were able to attack which clearly affects Brady's play. I dont care if they draft another WR or RB - they can add skill players at these positions much easier in later rounds or via free agency than they can add dominant offensive and defensive lineman. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

With regards to drafting a center. I'm in complete agreement that replacement should be found. Most of the top centers go in the late 1st early 2nd so given how deep the G/T/DE/OLB spots are in this years draft and those are also areas of need for us I might be worth holding off until next year and grabbing the best available C in next years draft.

Or better yet there are other options in picking up a pure C in the late 3rd or 4th by the way of Linnenkohl, Kirkpatrick or Barnes. All three are well know for pass protecting giving up the fewest sacks in college between them. They all bring different abilities but Linnenkohl might take a year or 2 to develop. Barnes and Kirkpatrick are considered 2 of the top 3 C's in this draft class. They will most likely be taken between the middle 3rd and late 4th.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I would argue Light had one of his two best years in the NFL this year. He's always had issues with speed rushers, and so far there's been no correlation to his age. Vollmer is just a better athlete, but Light had a very good year.

In Response to Re: Opinions on the OL resignings and draft picks:
    [QUOTE]With regards to drafting a center. I'm in complete agreement that replacement should be found. Most of the top centers go in the late 1st early 2nd so given how deep the G/T/DE/OLB spots are in this years draft and those are also areas of need for us I might be worth holding off until next year and grabbing the best available C in next years draft. Or better yet there are other options in picking up a pure C in the late 3rd or 4th by the way of Linnenkohl, Kirkpatrick or Barnes. All three are well know for pass protecting giving up the fewest sacks in college between them. They all bring different abilities but Linnenkohl might take a year or 2 to develop. Barnes and Kirkpatrick are considered 2 of the top 3 C's in this draft class. They will most likely be taken between the middle 3rd and late 4th.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Light won't be moved to guard. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Like your overall assesment's ... Not sure about Light though , well in terms of him moving to G. Frankly I have big problems , in terms of current players on the roster and this draft. First off , we have to kill this draft , weve had too many duds over the last 5-6 years and its really hurting our team. We draft these guys that cant play or can only do one thing. We realize they cant play ... at all , around year 3 , but we continue to hang on to them ... b/c trading , cutting etc. would admit we were wrong to begin w/. Ok now if this is me and of coarse its not , im going DE  all day ... Im waiting to see what happens on draft day , see how the first 5-6 picks go , hows trying to trade down/up , who went where so far etc. There were two camps when it came to Big Sey. , I think hes a future HOF and never saw or heard of anyone else playing the 5 technique better. A lot of our problems on D stem from that right side. Teams will run on that side and let it be known their running right. Listen Sey was a beast , for about 5-6 years he was one of the best 10-15 players in the league , forget about on D. Were not goingg to find a 6'6/310-315 monster that played the run better than any DE in football and could rush the passer , all of which commands some serious attention that allowed our OLB's to really rush the QB. So unless we think Von Miller will be there at 17 , Im going DE. Does anyone know if Miller passes all of BB's test/standards? Is he the right height/weight , long enough arms etc. lmao ... obviously im j/p , well maybe not , but seriously he needs to ease up on all those requirements. Enough w/ only taking "Patriot" guys , we need some studs on the roster. So I really like the DE/DT's in this years draft. Everyone knows Bowers , Dareus , Quinn , Jordan , Clayborn , Heyward , but there are some other good players out there. A couple guys i like here are Clayborn , Jordan , both are NFL ready 3-4 DE's. Its extremely rare to find a guy coming out of college that is NFL ready for the 5 technique. Just doesnt happen that often.  If its me making the pick , im going w/ Clayborn. I really like this kid , he can almost do it all. He has very good closing speed , even after taking that inital punch from the tackle. Great hands , that often get describe as violent. He use's those hands to shed blocks from tackles , guards , te's etc. to get to QB or the ballcarrier. He has very good fundamentals , always hustles , good size and very good strength. Although ideally you like him to be a little taller , maybe 6'4-6'6 , but ill take him all day. Needs to get a little stronger , explosive , but that can/will come when he starts lifting/working out like a pro. Jordan is right there w/ him and is rated a little higher by some. Like Clayborn , a very good run stopper , who can locate the ball on the edge or in the backfield. Very good hands , fundamentals , will pursue downfield and understand hid responsibilities in a 3-4 scheme ... although i think scouts have him projected at left side. I would move up a little bit if i had to , if it meant getting Clayborn/Jordan. Its tough to know where each will go b/c there are about 5-6 teams that really need help at DE/DT. Denver , Washington , Dallas , Buffalo , Browns , 49er's , Dolphins all pick before us and could use help at DE. LMAO Almost all could use an actual QB but thats another story. Plus you have teams like the Chargers , Packers , Chiefs and the Jets who would love a Claborn/Jordan. After Dareus/Bowers these two will be the most coveted in terms of the DL. If we can land one of the two at 17 or even if it meant moving up a few spots. Theres a few very good prospects at OT this year , but i think Gabe Carimi would be a great fit at LT and that way we could move seabass to RT ... I think he's a better fit at RT. If we managed to get both those guys , that would be an outstanding first round ... Jordan/Solder or Sherrod would be a great second option.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

I cant see Light moving to G either. If that is the case though , and Mankins leaves , were in some serious trouble. Good thing for us , we have a crazy amount of picks this year and can really do some differnt things here. That first second round pick is huge. That has turned into a very good pick to have over the years. We could use it as bait or take the best available player. Im all for moving up if we feel the need , i wish they would more. But i also want them to use as many picks as possible , we need players. OL/DL , OLB , S , WR , CB , RB are all needs one could argue and wouldnt be wrong in doing so. Listen Ive been saying for years that the Pats have big holes. Im not trying to be one of those guys that wants everyone to know how much i know etc... Just look at the listed needs above and please tell me where i went wrong. We absolutely need help on both lines , i think everyone can agree on that. OLB ... everyone can agree , we need big help pressuring the QB. S , now there on some people that think "were loaded at S" ... those people were velcro sneakers and trip over themselves getting off the short bus. Brandon Meri. cant tackle , diagnose plays , cant cover at all , takes bad angles when after the ballcarrier , isnt a leader of any type ... the guy makes a couple decent hits a year and picks off a ball no-one else is near. I love DMC and was all for him since day one. This kid can play and is only going to get better. He has the ability to do alot of different things and be a real play maker. Feel the same way about Spikes , another guy i was lobbying for. But after Bodden/DMC were think at CB. Bodden isnt old by any means , but our pass D hasnt been very good the past couple years. Having another guy , possible starter would really help. Im good w/ BJGE and think he can be a 11-1200/10-12 TD guy , a 17-22 carry guy. Combine that w/ Woodhead and another young back in the draft , say round 3-5? BJGE can carry the load , i believe in him. WR , thats another story. Teams will give us that dink/dunk stuff over the middle all day long ... and they will try and shut down outside and keep us out of the endzone via the big play. Iv been argueing this for year and saying that it was Moss that really made Welker. Who is a very good player , but just isnt a 10-15 catch a game guy w/out a threat of a real # one WR outside. Teams were all to happy giving Welker anything he wanted underneath , he doesnt get in the endzone and cant do it alone. Id love a Nicks , AL/CL , Fitz type WR. A big guy that can stretch the field and just put his head down , run 12 yards and pick up a first down when you need it.

Sections
Shortcuts