Orton Boo'd at Broncos Camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Orton Boo'd at Broncos Camp

Do you think McDaniels had a sleepless night last night?

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090807/SPORTS0602/908070382/1100/SPORTS03/Broncos+fans+boo+Orton+at+practice

I actually have mixed emotions about this because I root for Orton to do well. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Re: Orton Boo'd at Broncos Camp

This may actually be the best line of the preseason:  The voice of MR. EXPERIENCE - lol. 

"I learned a long time ago -- in the spring -- that as a head coach you never have a good practice when you practice offense vs. defense," McDaniels said, "because someone's always going to make a good play and then the other side is on the other end of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think what he meant by that statement is that when the O or D makes a good play, then it usually means the other side made a bad play.  An interception is a bad play by the O but a good play by the D.  His "I learned a long time ago..." remark was downright silly.

That said, he is in for a real long year.  He has the technical smarts, but not the maturity and "aura of leadership" that a head coach needs.  In fact, as any leader needs.  He might come from BB's coaching tree but he in no way whatsoever is behaving like BB.  Maybe that's unfair.  Maybe we should compare him to BB's first stint as a HC in Cleveland.  MacD needed to cook a few more years in the oven before going out on his own.  I don't know why, but I just feel like he's the 2nd coming of Cam Cameron.  I don't think his team will lose like Cam's Dolphins did, but MacD has the same persona and leadership style.

I think you'll see a "rally around the new coach" surge by the Broncos in the first half of the season, and then things will get ugly.  MacD will not lead them through any adversity or crisis.  He will probably say something stupid and make things worse.

I hope I end up eating my words.  We all love a success story and I am no different.  I'd also love to see Denver do well (except against us) despite Cutler.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

While I personally hate the Broncos, I do hope they do well this season. Josh has a lot riding on Orton's shoulders. If he should play well that will make Josh a lot more credible with the team. If Orton comes in and stinks the place up there will be grumbling in the locker room, and that could spell disaster. While I agree with caraway that Josh is a bit young and inexperienced for a top job, you have to start somewhere. As for fans booing Orton, I would not read much into that. There are probably a lot of fans who still believe in all the hype put out about Cutler by Shanahan and the media. The real test will be once the games start to count. If Orton wins his first three games the fans in Denver will be saying "Jay who?" If Orton bombs they will will be cussing McDaniels even more than when he made the trade. But even Orton (and the offense) is not the key to the Broncos success. The defense will have to take major steps if this team is to hope for any shot at the division. I'd love to see them win the division, but they won't unless they can stop the opposition from putting up 30 points a game. Guys like Brady or Manning would have a hard time winning consistently with a defense as bad as they were last season. But ultimately, McDaniels and Orton will get the bulk of the credit or blame for however the season goes. They both need to be able to blow off fans' displeasure at this point in the season, though!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

DJ - It was exactly the, "I learned a long time ago - last spring" comment that made me laugh. 

Bub - I totally agree with you.  McDaniels respect from the team and league lies with the success of Kyle Orton, and let me add, the play of the defense. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Orton is in the unenviable postion of having to replace the Legend that Never Was. Cutler was being groomed to be the Golden Child in Denver, and by all indications, Shanahan's approach to Cutler's development seems to have given the young man an outsized perspective on his own ability and potential. Now that Cutler is gone, the temptation for Bronco fan is to believe that Cutlerr was Brady-in-Waiting, as this will make a nice hedge against potential Broncos collapse (a very real possibility). Every perceived misstep by the new guy will likely prompt bandwagon guy to say, "Cutler makes that play," even if it isn't accurate. I don't know much about Denver fans -- on televison they look as rabid as any other fans -- but booing your gladiators when they're shaking the rust off seems a bit excessive. Even at his best, Kyle Orton is not going to put up the kind of numbers Broncos fan will remember Cutler posting, and in any case, no matter what he does, he is now linked to Cutler for the rest of his career.

It seems likely that boos hurled in Orton's direction are more likely (at least subconsciously) aimed at McDaniels. Anything Orton does (or does not do)  for the Broncos can only be enhanced by the abject failure of Cutler in Chicago. My guess? This year the Bears look like geniuses, but in the long run, these are teams going in two different directions and Denver will utlmately get the better of this trade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Exactly how long are you talking Mike?  If Denver fails miserably this year, J Mac's tenure may not be long enough to see your prediction through.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I could care less about the Broncos, but to lose a young pro bowl QB to a backup has to be the worst coaching move ever. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

In Response to Re: Orton Boo'd at Broncos Camp:
    Exactly how long are you talking Mike?  If Denver fails miserably this year, J Mac's tenure may not be long enough to see your prediction through.
    Posted by underdogg

I would think Josh would have to fail pretty spectacularly to not last long enough to use the picks Denver got for Cutler. I'd bet you a Klondike bar and a pony ride that, in three years, Denver owns the AFC West and Chicago is a bottom feeder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Only if the pony is tied to a merry go round.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In Response to Re: Orton Boo'd at Broncos Camp : I would think Josh would have to fail pretty spectacularly to not last long enough to use the picks Denver got for Cutler. I'd bet you a Klondike bar and a pony ride that, in three years, Denver owns the AFC West and Chicago is a bottom feeder.
    Posted by prairiemike

Pat Bowlen isn't known for making rash decisions with his head coaches. Shanahan and Reeves both had pretty long tenures there. I doubt he would fire Josh even if the team went 4-12 this season. Unless McD has totally lost the locker room, I'd expect him to have a few years to turn the team around. I mean, we're not talking Al Davis here, Bowlen has both feet in reality and knows Rome wasn't built in a day. Orton won't put up the same numbers as Cutler did, but I believe he will do better decision wise, and thus get better results towards the end of the season. In Chicago they couldn't protect him, and he took a beating. Cutler was only sacked a dozen times in all of 08 (though some of that was due to his scrambling ability), so Kyle should be able to stay healthier than he did as a Bear. He is more of a game managing QB, and that is what Josh wants, and what his style of offense calls for. Don't forget, he did hold his own with the Bears the season Grossman was out all year. The biggest problem the Broncos have is their defense (or rather their lack thereof). If they continue to give up 30 points a game the Broncos are s c r e w e d! But if they can improve Orton should be able to produce enough for a winning season. More long sustained drives rather than bombs by Cutler running for his life. If Marshall stays, Orton has both him and Royal and that's a huge upgrade over the Bears WRs. Their running game should be better, too. Last year they had like five RBs go on IR. Depending on how well the defense can improve they could be 11-5 and win the division, or go 5-11 and be irrelevant. Of course, Orton (and moreso McD) will take the credit or the blame in either scenario. I do agree that Denver got the better of the trade. Cutler would not work well in Josh's offense, and the friction would have been a problem in any case. Chicago may think they've finally got a franchise QB, but by December they will have a rude awakening. Cutler doesn't have Marshall and Royal, and those bombs which he lucked out on in Denver will be wild pitches in Soldier Field when that wind whips up off Lake Michigan! I see the Bears placing third in their division, unless Tavaris Jackson (and Rosenfels in relief) totally tank it in Minnesota. I'm curious as to how Cutler will handle it if this does come to pass, as the fans in Chicago will turn on him should he fail. I wonder where he will cry his way to then!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think McDaniels would have slit the throat of his own family members to have gotten Gutierrez for a safety blanket.He should have gone to BB and asked him what it would take too make a trade for him.As it stands now he'll have to defend against both Cassel and Gutierrez 2 times a year!That stinks when the pupils come back to haunt the teachers.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Bub,

I would generally agree with your comments about Bowlen except to say he seems to have acted downright goofy and out of it this offseason.  Maybe as a result of never having been faced with such instability.

I am an Orton fan, and you have to believe that the Broncos offense should be fine, and ball control (if effective) can do nothing but help that defense.

Cutler on the other hand will be just fine.  Remember that the QB can also make receivers look good. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Orton Boo'd at Broncos Camp:

Do you think McDaniels had a sleepless night last night? http://www.indystar.com/article/20090807/SPORTS0602/908070382/1100/SPORTS03/Broncos+fans+boo+Orton+at+practice I actually have mixed emotions about this because I root for Orton to do well. 
    Posted by underdogg

Orton stinks. Every football fan in America knew that all along. A replacement for Cutler??? That would be like replacing Brady with Walter. Only in this case, McDaniel is actually doing it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

To equate Cutler, the losingest pro-bowl QB in history, with Brady is sheer Trollism! I asume then you would rather have a QB that throws for 5000 yds a season but can't get it into the endzone than a QB that throws for 2500 yds a season but puts the ball in the endzone 70% of the time.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Don't listen to blowhard bob! It's just Leon in drag! He doesn't believe anything. He just disagrees with whatever anyone says. Anybody with an IQ of at least double digits knows Cutler cannot hope to even hold Brady's jock. He will be exposed for the fraud he really is this winter in Chicago!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Don't listen to blowhard bob! It's just Leon in drag!
    Posted by bubthegrub2

Unfortunately Bub I have to agree with him on one point, Orton does stink and even the Broncos fans are smart enough to know it.

Sections
Shortcuts