OT - Cannabis in Colorado

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Re: OT - Cannabis in Colorado

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I worry about safety,  driving and kids

Is there such a thing as just a little buzzed? Do they have tests for DUI? 

i can have 1 drink and be safe , I dont think it works like tbst for weed. The idea is to get buzzed not enjoy the smoke

kids get it now of course but it will be easier and it won't help them in life

Also worry about long term effects on people who end up getting high everyday especially with these high potent engineered strains

And is this weed carsogeneous ?

So now its not legal to smoke cigs in public but ok for weed? 

How long before we hear about second hand smoke. Lol

How long before we hear that welfare or fed food cards are paying for peoples weed? And they will need more food for their munchies lol

something tells me we are going to have an awful lot of un intended consequences, not not many good ones

I care about the impact on society but there is little to be done-when so many people want it I just don't want to pay for other peoples lifestyles

[/QUOTE]

Rusty is going to respond to you and say there is no possibility of any of this happening or being true...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have smoked pot for 30 years and have never experienced anything like you describe. You must have to smoke a LOT of pot, at night, to feel like that in the morning. I puff a half a doob to help me sleep on occasion and wake up feeling the same as any other day.

I do feel lethargic upon first getting up, but doesn't most everyone? I don't need an alarm clock because my body just wakes up out of habit, but I don't spring to my feet and start jogging in place. I also don't drink coffee because my stomach can't take it and it makes my hands shake and legs restless (the couple times I tried it) It  takes me about a half hour to truly feel wide awake... pot or not 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. I, too, am completely confused what he is talking about other than he's smoking bad weed and smoking too much of it hoping to improve his buzz  to the point he's just gassed from doing too much smoking just to smoke.  

The fact of the matter is, for me and for people who wouldn't be daily smokers, literally a few puffs of the plethora of high grade stuff that is flooding the market these days, is just fine.   I smoke way less than I ever did 10-15 years ago. You don't need to do a lot of smoking to enjoy the benefits of the marijuana that people are accesible to in most parts of the country today. 

The whole thing has totally changed.   All the high quality stuff is now a commodity. 

[/QUOTE]

OK, I probably should backtrack a bit on this.  I have experienced pot hangover many times, and so have friends of mine.  We always called it being 'spaced-out' or 'smoked-out'.

But you're right, if you smoke in moderation you won't experience this.  You're also right that the weed now is much higher quality & potency so you don't have to smoke as much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

i can have 1 drink and be safe , I dont think it works like tbst for weed. The idea is to get buzzed not enjoy the smoke

Also worry about long term effects on people who end up getting high everyday especially with these high potent engineered strains

How long before we hear that welfare or fed food cards are paying for peoples weed? And they will need more food for their munchies lol

something tells me we are going to have an awful lot of un intended consequences, not not many good ones

I care about the impact on society but there is little to be done-when so many people want it I just don't want to pay for other peoples lifestyles

[/QUOTE]

We won't have any idea about the unintended consequences from this for many years.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For all of you out there who can use pot and live productive lives, good for you. As I said in an earlier post, I have no problems with that at all. I delivered packages for UPS for 9 years, mainly in Cambridge and Quincy, so I was ina nd out of a lot of apartment buildings (state run 'housing' projects). From what I saw, there are a large number of pot heads who are more like the stoners in the movie Knocked Up, a bunch of them living together and pooling their welfare checks so they can get stoned all day rather than getting a job. I think there is a much larger population than most people realize who are not working and are on the welfare system, either getting federal or state assistance, or both. That is what drives me crazy. My taxes keep going up and up and up to pay for social programs that are designed to allow people to stay on the public payroll who I KNOW are making no effort to improve thmeseleves or their lives. 

[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with keeping it illegal though?  Alcohol is legal and has been for decades where the gov't pulls in revenue from that.

We can't babysit the loser who drinks all day and has deep rooted personal issues or the stoner who does the same thing.

Life is about balance.  Some people get that, some people don't or can't.  

Legalizing marijuana has nothing to do with the % of the population who are already pre-determined to not get it togethere in life.

I know many people who enjoy good weed or good beer, wine or booze and they are successful people.  

You sound like my mother.  You have to get educated on it a bit instead of generalizing and making statements that don't counter the concept of what legalizing will do. It will have no effect whatsoever on the status quo of who currently smokes and who doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Your mother sounds like an intelligent woman. Reading a bunch of one sided opinions that are in agreement with what you want to believe doesn't make you educated about a subject. There will be a large cost to society in the long term by legalizing weed. You are very naive if you think there is no percent of the population that will do something that is legal compared to those who won't do it if it's not legal, and are even more naive if you don't think making it legal will make it easier for underage kids whose minds are still developing to get their hands on it. Just as kids raid their parents liquor, if weed is legal and in the home, they will find it. I think you would be hard pressed to find many truly educated people who have the long term interest of our country in mind (and not just some selfish behavior) who think that having a nation full of more pot heads is a good idea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

For all of you out there who can use pot and live productive lives, good for you. As I said in an earlier post, I have no problems with that at all. I delivered packages for UPS for 9 years, mainly in Cambridge and Quincy, so I was ina nd out of a lot of apartment buildings (state run 'housing' projects). From what I saw, there are a large number of pot heads who are more like the stoners in the movie Knocked Up, a bunch of them living together and pooling their welfare checks so they can get stoned all day rather than getting a job. I think there is a much larger population than most people realize who are not working and are on the welfare system, either getting federal or state assistance, or both. That is what drives me crazy. My taxes keep going up and up and up to pay for social programs that are designed to allow people to stay on the public payroll who I KNOW are making no effort to improve thmeseleves or their lives. 

[/QUOTE]

Wow , dude this is a sterotype if I ever read one.    Please try to keep an open mind regarding people who use pot in a sensible and often times medicinal way.  An intelligent person who understands the dosage to take to get medicinal benefits is different than an lowlife living in a bad situation smoking to escape reality.

In this way it is exactly like alcohol and the parallel to your argument would be banning alcohol since bums on streetcorners are sucking on bags of cheap wine.

By the way alcohol has medicinal effects as well in moderate amounts.  good for the heart and arteries.   It's all about dosage. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

$120 for an ounce= GARBAGE WEED

[/QUOTE]

Obviously. If this was 1995, it was Mexican street weed. If you bought an 1/8th it was $25, a 1/4 $40, a half, $60, or maybe you'd get a break for $50 if you were friends with someone.

Kind Bud or Hydroponic was the big stuff back then which ran double the Mexican crap.

The fact is, you're getting selection and better quality with no threat of being arrested with mandatory minimums in place, for the same price as Kind Bud or Hydroponic 15 years ago.

That's called complete undercutting the black market's current position.

Also, people's homegrown stuff was completely inconsistent back then.

[/QUOTE]

The argument about quality has an interesting twist...

Really good weed should last a while since you should smoke less of it.  So in effect a $90 quarter might last longer depending on your usage ., than the $50 stuff.

The other thing is how THC works on your body.  It stays in your system for a while and the more you smoke ,   The more it takes to get "high" ( meaning the pshycholgical effects),  but maybe the medicinal effects are still achieved at lower doses.

The third thing is smokin more is bad for your lungs.  So the higher quality in measured amounts should be the objective for most people.  (although I must admit.... back when I used tobacco I did enjoy the blunts using a mix for a nice smoke.)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with keeping it illegal though?  Alcohol is legal and has been for decades where the gov't pulls in revenue from that.

We can't babysit the loser who drinks all day and has deep rooted personal issues or the stoner who does the same thing.

Legalizing marijuana has nothing to do with the % of the population who are already pre-determined to not get it togethere in life.

I know many people who enjoy good weed or good beer, wine or booze and they are successful people.  

You sound like my mother.  You have to get educated on it a bit instead of generalizing and making statements that don't counter the concept of what legalizing will do. It will have no effect whatsoever on the status quo of who currently smokes and who doesn't.

[/QUOTE]

Your mother sounds like an intelligent woman. Reading a bunch of one sided opinions that are in agreement with what you want to believe doesn't make you educated about a subject. There will be a large cost to society in the long term by legalizing weed. You are very naive if you think there is no percent of the population that will do something that is legal compared to those who won't do it if it's not legal, and are even more naive if you don't think making it legal will make it easier for underage kids whose minds are still developing to get their hands on it. Just as kids raid their parents liquor, if weed is legal and in the home, they will find it. I think you would be hard pressed to find many truly educated people who have the long term interest of our country in mind (and not just some selfish behavior) who think that having a nation full of more pot heads is a good idea.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Are you Nancy Reagan?  The statement I underlined means you think that since it is now legalized, the people who were not smoking before, out of the woodwork, just decided to come home from work with an ounce of weed and a shiny new bong to put on the coffee table to show Jimmy and Suzy.  Do you really believe this?

Anyone lined up around the block these last few days didn't just wake up and decide to start smoking; they were buying it illegally!  Get it?

Your commentary reeks of someone who simply has his head in the sand on reality.

Legalizing this does not promote it nor will it shift the amound of people who smoke.

Do you not understand this?  Were you this vocal about cigarettes, cancer, emphysema, strokes, heart attacks, skyrocketing healthcare costs, etc, due to the cheap and availabel cigarette product our gov't helped grow to help the tobacco lobby, KNOWING cigarrettes and that rate of smoke and second hand smoke was bad for you?

Something tells me not. Something tells me you grew up in a conservative family, possibly with parents who smoked cigs and drank, and because Uncle Sam said it was ok when you came out of the womb, your brain has signed off on alcohol and cigarettes only.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. I was raised in a home with seven kids, with both parents in the house. My father was in military for 27 years, until I was 11, and then became a teacher. He has seen and done much more in his life than you ever will. My mother was also in the military until she met my father. Neither of them smoked while we were growing up, my father did smoke in his 20s, but quit when he realized the dangers associated with it. None of us kids have ever smoked cigarettes. I never saw my father take a drink until I was in my 20s, he was trying to set a good example for his kids, and I never saw him have more than one, he is 89. My mother never drank, still doesn't at 85.  Mom raised us as Catholic, we went to church every week. My fathers father was a Baptist minister in Ohio, but he as baptized into the Catholic Church in his early 70s after teaching Sunday school for many years. Of the 7 kids, all 7 have bachelors degrees and 5 have masters degree. My father taught at the high school I went to, and knew all about what was going on with the drugs in the 70's, 80's and beyond. Believe me, he is at least as educated as you about it, and has seen much more of the bad that does happen and will continue to happen than you can possibly know. We were raised to believe in personal responsibility. You stated earlier that life is about balance, I prefer to think its about consistancy. I choose not to use any drugs so I am consistently ready to meet any problems that may come up (I do have a drink in occasion). And I find it reprehensible that a parent would find it ok to blow money on weed that could be going toward anything for their children.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, I'm old school and this makes no sense to someone like me. Weed is a gateway drug in my mind and is not harmless. Last week a PO in Texas was shot to death in a no knock warrant for weed and a few states away they are selling it like tobacco....what am I missing?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a gateway drug, because it's ILLEGAL. I doubt the typical convenience store clerk is going to whisper to a customer, "come on in back, I've got some nice smack for you".

This stuff should have been legal 50 years ago at least.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to NYPatsFan12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

$120 for an ounce= GARBAGE WEED

[/QUOTE]

FACTS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Back in my day a 4 finger lid was $15, you whipper-snappers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yes, there is. It measures in nanograms.

can have 1 drink and be safe , I dont think it works like tbst for weed. The idea is to get buzzed not enjoy the smoke

Be careful, some bartenders are heavy handed. You may get more than one drink in a glass.

And is this weed carsogeneous

No

easy to stop

You already are.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drug Overdose....Let them die!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

When is the last time someone died from smoking pot?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

[QUOTE]

I mean, seriously, dude.  The high school weed problem and kids driving will always be there. It's not like it's going to disappear or be worse one way or another. It is what it is.

[/QUOTE]

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

As I said, you are devoid of common sense.  It's not rocket science.  Do you think alcohol use went up after prohibition ended and was once again available, or stayed the same?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 347pg's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I mean, seriously, dude.  The high school weed problem and kids driving will always be there. It's not like it's going to disappear or be worse one way or another. It is what it is.

[/QUOTE]

Can I borrow your crystal ball?

As I said, you are devoid of common sense.  It's not rocket science.  Do you think alcohol use went up after prohibition ended and was once again available, or stayed the same?

[/QUOTE]

And your point is?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hang3xc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

if you're paying $120 an ounce for weed in 2013, it ain't very good. Just saying.   This ain't 1999. You're clearly paying for some everyday street weed and just think it's great.     Why you would want that when you could walk into a smorgasbord of options and not be worried about being pulled over and arrested, I have no idea.

[/QUOTE]

I have been smoking pot for 30 YEARS. I don't "just think it's great". I know exactly what great is. What I get isn't cush, but it is very decent and requires half a bone or less when alone. Isn't it juuuust possible that I have a very good longtime friend & my guy would rather associate with longtime regulars for at a reduced lower profit margin just to be safe ???

Not everyone buys dimebags of dirt on street corners

Also, how on earth can people get pulled over and arrested when bringing it home. For starters, it hasn't happened to me one single time in the last 30 years, but now I'll even have a medical card, giving me the right to possess it. Even without the card, an ounce or less is not a criminal offense in MA.  

As for nobody wanting to buy "crappier weed"? Very good smoke at half the legal cost does not equal CRAPPY. Money matters to MANY, and not very many people I know will be buying $300 an ounce (or higher) smoke regularly when they can get perfectly decent smoke for HALF that. A lot of people like scotch, fine wines etc etc. but who regularly buys the greatest most expensive stuff available? Next to nobody.

The ''black market' isn't going anywhere

[/QUOTE]

For weed it is, absolutely.  Their competition is one entity and that entitly controls the pricing and the market. That entity is the gov't and the people, just like it is with alcohol and tobacco.

States will never be undercut by the black market and the margins simply will not be there over time.  

Is there a black market for alcohol or tobacco? No. Weed is 3rd behind those two items in terms of consumption in this country.  Do the math.    The only way this doesn't happen is if more and more states do not legalize, which is very unlikely once the numbers roll in.  There are rumblings some states are already ready to move forward because they are seeing the demand.

If something is legal, readily available and priced well, there is no black market for it. 

The current prices will also fall once other states legalize. The black market for marijuana is, for all intents and purpose, cooked.

1 million in sales for 1 day in 1 state. Do the math.  Wait until states start competing. lol

Next, there have been MANY people who have brought home weed and been sentenced to 20+ years in prison for simple possession simply by being targeted by the police, dummy. It hasn't happened to me either, but please leave your bubble or read a book or check the news.

I have been in line at shows and had friends whisked off into a paddywagon. I've seen it taken from pockets with the threat of the police called in.  Do you leave your house? lol

Friends of my parents' son got pulled over with multiple pounds in Utah.  It happens. 

Mandatory minimums and private prisons teamed up to make trillions in this country, usually off minorities. SO, of course it can happen.  Don;t be an ignorant moron.

Leave your bubble and also get to an Economics class. No one cares what your buddy sells his weed for on the north shore.  He/she apprently loves taking advantage of people and you're in here speaking for it.  LOL

Again, you're smoking god awful weed if you think $50 an 1/8th out of weed stores in Colorado is too high priced.   That is the black market price.   Strawberry Kush, an 1/8th, $50 minimum.

Your comments are comical.  I used to blow through a half ounce of everyday Mexican weed for $50 in the mid 90s in 2 weeks.  Today, an 1/8th of good weed for $50 lasts 3-4 weeks since you don't need much. Get iit?  

Your weed sucks if you seriously think $50 for an 1/8th these says is offensive.  Again, crap Mexican weed 15-20 years ago was $25 an 1/8th.

You're clueless on the different strains available which will also lower costs. The black market isn't having access or the time to offer all these strains.   Your dealer doesn't have access to all these strains, and if he/she did, it's not worth his/her time or risk it anymore.

[/QUOTE]

Pot shops in Denver are selling $400.00 ounces. Oh wait, I'm sorry $540.00 with the new tax And most are sold out. Where do people go now. Black market, better quality, half the price.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is bang on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wow. Are you Nancy Reagan?  The statement I underlined means you think that since it is now legalized, the people who were not smoking before, out of the woodwork, just decided to come home from work with an ounce of weed and a shiny new bong to put on the coffee table to show Jimmy and Suzy.  Do you really believe this?

Anyone lined up around the block these last few days didn't just wake up and decide to start smoking; they were buying it illegally!  Get it?

Your commentary reeks of someone who simply has his head in the sand on reality.

Legalizing this does not promote it nor will it shift the amound of people who smoke.

Do you not understand this?  Were you this vocal about cigarettes, cancer, emphysema, strokes, heart attacks, skyrocketing healthcare costs, etc, due to the cheap and availabel cigarette product our gov't helped grow to help the tobacco lobby, KNOWING cigarrettes and that rate of smoke and second hand smoke was bad for you?

Something tells me not. Something tells me you grew up in a conservative family, possibly with parents who smoked cigs and drank, and because Uncle Sam said it was ok when you came out of the womb, your brain has signed off on alcohol and cigarettes only.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, you couldn't be further from the truth. I was raised in a home with seven kids, with both parents in the house. My father was in military for 27 years, until I was 11, and then became a teacher. He has seen and done much more in his life than you ever will. My mother was also in the military until she met my father. Neither of them smoked while we were growing up, my father did smoke in his 20s, but quit when he realized the dangers associated with it. None of us kids have ever smoked cigarettes. I never saw my father take a drink until I was in my 20s, he was trying to set a good example for his kids, and I never saw him have more than one, he is 89. My mother never drank, still doesn't at 85.  Mom raised us as Catholic, we went to church every week. My fathers father was a Baptist minister in Ohio, but he as baptized into the Catholic Church in his early 70s after teaching Sunday school for many years. Of the 7 kids, all 7 have bachelors degrees and 5 have masters degree. My father taught at the high school I went to, and knew all about what was going on with the drugs in the 70's, 80's and beyond. Believe me, he is at least as educated as you about it, and has seen much more of the bad that does happen and will continue to happen than you can possibly know. We were raised to believe in personal responsibility. You stated earlier that life is about balance, I prefer to think its about consistancy. I choose not to use any drugs so I am consistently ready to meet any problems that may come up (I do have a drink in occasion). And I find it reprehensible that a parent would find it ok to blow money on weed that could be going toward anything for their children.

[/QUOTE]

Wow. I never assumed anything about accomplishing as much or more as your father whatsoever.

No idea where this explosion came from or why it would be necessary to be introduced, but I gotta tell ya, these aren't strong comments considering the unbelievable hypocrisies from the Catholic and Baptist churches:

"My fathers father was a Baptist minister in Ohio, but he as baptized into the Catholic Church in his early 70s after teaching Sunday school for many years."

Major red flag to me and my dad's parents were staunch Catholics and my dad put through parachoial school.  Today, the Catholic Church and parachoial schools are seen as the ultimate hypocrisy by many and for good reason.  

This seems to be some kind of a badge of honor for you to somehow make it seem like it means something here, but it doesn't.  Those days are long gone.

I am cocerned about the church going bible thumpers in this country and why a Tea Party has been established, too.  THere seems to still be this sanctomonius attitude with people like you who think going to church and reading entries from the bible is some kind of a badge of life. I think it's great your father enjoyed reading from a bible and took on that kind of thing, but don't expect everyone else on planet earth to pretend that is some secret decoder ring solution to how to best live one's life on earth.  It's actually somewhat embarrassing to make it that much of who you are.

There is no heaven, there is no hell. You just die, alcohol, no alcohol and weed or no weed, porn or no porn, fast food or no fast food.  

Sorry.

Being a good person and enjoying your life while here is what is most important, not judging others or being ignorant.

Don't look know but that preachy religious rhetoric isn't far off from the Islamic extremist lingo.

[/QUOTE]
    You really are the dooshe bag every one on here has said you are for the past 10 years. I have purposely avoided getting into any of your moronic arguments with just about every other poster on here. I have tried to simply and clearly state my belief that having more people on drugs in this country is not a good thing. First you assumed I was raised by a couple of chain smoking drunks, and when I point out that I was raised in an educated, Christian, non-smoking, alcohol free household, you spin it  into me being a preaching, holy rolling Islamic terrorist. I didn't preach anything, I pointed out how I was raised. I haven't been to church regularly in 25 years, and the priest sex scandal sickened me to the point I likely will never go back, at least not to one of the major denominations. You make an A$$$ out of yourself continually, I'm done with this argument, and you can rot in hell as far as I am concerned.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

]quote]

DENVER (CNN) – Colorado made history New Year’s Day when it became the first state to allow stores to sell marijuana for recreational purposes to anyone age 21 or older.

On day two of marijuana sales in Colorado, most of the lines in front of the state’s new recreational pot shops were still stretching out the door and around the block.

As many as 30 stores throughout Colorado were able to start selling recreational weed on Jan. 1, with 18 of them being in Denver. With that few stores and such high demand, many were worried about the possibility of a pot shortage.

Click here for answers to FAQ about Colorado’s marijuana sales.

While patrons — young and the old, men and women — waited patiently in line that first day, the demographic at the downtown dispensary tilted more toward 20- and 30-somethings.

Iraq war veteran Sean Azzariti described his purchase of recreational marijuana — legally — as a historic moment Wednesday.

“It’s huge,” he said at a marijuana store along a light industrial corridor outside downtown Denver. “It hasn’t even sunk in how big this is yet.”

Azzariti was selected to be the first buyer at the 3D Cannabis Center because he was a Marine from 2000 to 2006 who now suffers post-traumatic stress disorder after two tours in Iraq. He can’t obtain medical marijuana in Colorado because PTSD isn’t a qualifying condition for that treatment, he said.

“This is what we worked so hard for the last few years,” he said of the voter-approved constitutional amendment that led Colorado to become the first state in the nation to open recreational pot stores to anyone age 21 and older. “It’s mind-blowing.”

Azzariti, 32, bought an eighth of an ounce of pot, plus chocolate truffles laced with marijuana. Those treats are called “edibles” at the store.

The price: $59.50.

When many buyers emerged from the store and nudged through the line, they raised their bags of newly purchased pot above their heads.

People waiting on the sidewalk cheered them.

Even though recreational weed is now legal, some purchasers declined to disclose their last names.

One woman, Dee, who didn’t want to use her surname, said she waited in line for almost three hours to buy her cannabis. She and a male companion bought a small amount, she said, just to commemorate the occasion.

“We voted for it, and now it’s here,” Dee said of the recreational marijuana law. “We just went in and celebrated the new law. It’s a new day.”

She didn’t mind the long wait at the LoDo’s Dispensary. “Everybody is cool and mellow and nice. So it’s all good,” she said.

Some motorists passing the pot shop honked and cheered the queue of buyers, who whooped in return.

One motorist, however, shouted a disparaging remark about the “potheads,” and the crowd muttered raspberries in response.

Buyers whiled away the hours in line by talking aloud about the benefits of marijuana as a remedy for hangovers, headaches, sleeplessness and low appetite.

Then a young woman in a passing SUV slowed and interrupted them by asking, “What’s going on, guys?”

“Legal pot sale!” a man in line shouted.

“Oh, I need an eighth!” the young woman shouted back excitedly. The car drove on.

In fact, around 11:30 a.m. MT, Don Andrews, whose family owns and runs the dispensary, announced to the waiting people on the sidewalk that he was being forced to limit sales to an eighth of an ounce to each person, though under the new state law, a resident can buy up to an ounce.

The dispensary will close at 7 p.m. MT, but Andrews said he may have to start turning people away at 4 p.m. The line had gone out the front door, down the street and around the corner by 2 p.m. MT, when more than 400 people had made purchases.

In all, Andrews counted buyers from several states and countries. Buyers showed IDs from Vermont, Arizona, Georgia, Oregon, Wyoming, Louisiana — and even Alaska and Hawaii. Other prospective weed buyers came from Canada, Australia and Italy, though the Italian man, 21, walked away because he had to catch a bus for his tour of America.

South of downtown, the Evergreen Apothecary was encountering the same phenomenon: 700 people in line took numbers, but employees said they might not be able to serve all of them by the close of business.

The atmosphere at the dispensaries was clearly celebratory and cheerful. For example, about 10 miles outside of downtown, one man said he had waited in the snow since 2:30 a.m. for the Medicine Man dispensary to open at 8 a.m.

When asked how he felt after making the first sale there, he responded: “I’ll feel better in an hour.”

Applauding, criticizing the new law

Even before the weed went on sale, enthusiasts were anticipating the end of an era.

“Prohibition is over,” blared a flier for New Year’s Eve festivities at Casselman’s Bar in Denver. “Celebrate Cannabis freedom in style.”

As many as 30 stores throughout Colorado will sell recreational weed. Of the estimated 30 stores, 18 are in Denver.

“With Washington state next to implement marijuana legalization and other states strongly considering enacting similar laws, we believe this marks the beginning of the end of the nation’s decades-long war on marijuana and its harmful human and fiscal toll,” Ezekiel Edwards, a director at the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a prepared statement.

But not everyone was applauding.

“Legalization — with all of the American-style promotion that will accompany it — is the last thing people in recovery, parents, communities — and even our nation — need right now,” Smart Approaches to Marijuana said on its website.

A total of 136 stores received state licenses last week, but most apparently had not obtained approval yet from their local governments to open on January 1.

In 2012, Colorado voters approved the sale of recreational marijuana, as did voters in Washington state. But Colorado is the first to have the pot shops up and running under regulations recently established by state and local governments. Colorado voters’ approval in effect amended the state’s constitution to allow for the retail sale of recreational pot. The state already allows medical marijuana.

Limits to marijuana consumption

Not all of the state is participating in the new law. A community can decide not to allow the shops, and in fact, most of the state geographically hasn’t, including communities such as Greeley and Colorado Springs.

Proponents of the new law were dealt a setback last week when Denver and state officials threatened to shut down a private party at a dance club scheduled for January 1 celebrating the end of the prohibition against cannabis — an event billed as “Cannabition.” The organizers canceled the party because officials said it would violate a Denver ordinance prohibiting the public consumption of marijuana.

Cannabis can only be smoked on private property with the owner’s permission.

Under the new state law, residents are now able to buy marijuana like alcohol. The cannabis purchase is limited to an ounce, which is substantial enough to cost about $200 or more. People from out of state can buy up to a quarter-ounce.

In a vivid example of how recreational pot is a new reality for the state, Denver officials posted public signs in the tourist-populated corridor known as the 16th Street Mall. The street signs read, “Know the Law about Marijuana Use in Denver.”

“You must be 21 or older to have or use retail marijuana,” says one bulletin on the sign. But further below it, the sign warns readers that “it is illegal to use, display or transfer marijuana on the 16th Street Mall.”

One of Colorado’s main media outlets, The Denver Post, has even devoted a website to the history-making moment and its ongoing impact.

“The culture of cannabis, that’s what we’re here to talk about,” says the newspaper’s “The Cannabist” page. “As marijuana’s coming-out continues, we’ll report journalistically from our homebase in Denver, Colo. — the site of recreational marijuana’s first legal sale in the modern world on Jan. 1, 2014.”

This week, Denver International Airport authorities banned all marijuana on the airport grounds. Medical marijuana had been legal to bring to the airport as long as it didn’t go through security checkpoints, said airport spokeswoman Stacey Stegman.

But a total ban was implemented to avoid confusion as the recreational pot law rolls out, she said. Officials are concerned that a large influx of people may take marijuana to the airport and transport it across state lines.

So if a visitor brings marijuana to the airport and leaves it in the car to pick up a relative at the terminal, that visitor will be breaking the law and could face a fine of up to $999, Stegman said.

Colorado becomes the first place in the world where marijuana will be regulated from seed to sale. Pot is the third most popular recreational drug in America, after alcohol and tobacco, according to the marijuana reform group NORML.

[quote]

60 bucks for an eighth and some nice chocolates.....   hmmmm,  hope its real sticky.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rusty is going to respond to you and say there is no possibility of any of this happening or being true...

[/QUOTE]

It's ok Rusty and I have very good conversations

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's ok Rusty and I have very good conversations

[/QUOTE]

Not sure how you are paying for this ....   Is your subsidized daughter getting high with her boyfriend...?    Better get your head squared away before all the other smart people in your life start looking at you strange.

Sections
Shortcuts