OT -- Highland Park 21

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

OT -- Highland Park 21

Wife got me some for my birthday.  All I can say is wow! Best whisky I've ever had.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Re: OT -- Highland Park 21

Never tried it but if it's much better than their 12 yr. it must be fantastic because the 12 yr is pretty darn good and not too hard on the wallet either.

I'm drinking the 10 yr. old Glenmorangie.  It also is a nice whisky.

Not a huge fan of the whiskies with overwhelming peat.  The Lagavulin, Laphroigh and Ardbeg.

Just a hint of smokiness for me.

Enjoy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Never tried it but if it's much better than their 12 yr. it must be fantastic because the 12 yr is pretty darn good and not too hard on the wallet either.

I'm drinking the 10 yr. old Glenmorangie.  It also is a nice whisky.

Not a huge fan of the whiskies with overwhelming peat.  The Lagavulin, Laphroigh and Ardbeg.

Just a hint of smokiness for me.

Enjoy.

I'm a big peat fan (I love Lagavulin), but the Highland Park is not overly peaty.  It's a nice balance.   A little smokiness, but a lot of creamy, smoother flavours too. Really a nice, complex mix of flavour with no single flavour becoming too dominant. 

I like the Glenmorangie too, by the way.  Nice smooth whisky.  In fact, there's a third full bottle sitting right next to the Highland Park bottle.  :-)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Happy Birthday Pro, and wishing you many more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well, Happy Birthday! 

Really an exceptional, world class whiskey. Chocolate. Oak. Great.

I wish I had a bottle. I have some Balvenie 17 I'm working on, and the obligatory Glenlivet.

For the super expensive stuff, I prefer the Mcallan, vanilla and peat and smoke, as an example of speyside malts. But I always prefer a speysider. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wife got me some for my birthday.  All I can say is wow! Best whisky I've ever had.  

[/QUOTE]

My Father got me a bottle of Highland Park 25... honestly it burns a hole in my stomach.  Literally took a shot and think I caught a buzz.  It took me 2 years to even crack it open as i waited for a special occasion.  Now i got about 3/4 shots left and waiting for another occasion  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Pro- you obviously have a good woman there! Hang onto her! And Happy Birthday!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Happy Birthday prolate0spheroid!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Are your birthday balloons shaped like footballs...?  spheroid-like? HB and congrats on your fine gift...  Must be good to start a thread about.  I havent developed a taste for whiskey beyond jameisons or JD...  but will give it a try when I get a chance.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Happy B-Day Pro! Sounds like the Whiskey has already cemented that it's a good B-day. ENJOY!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Happy Birthday, Pro. Good selection. Drop a hint to get a St. Magdalene 20 year old from their Waterloo Street Distillery's 100th anniversary for the next major one. Should be on every single malt'ers bucket list. But at a 1000 British pounds a bottle, you had better be a very, very good boy. Not many bottles left.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Thanks for all the birthday wishes (and the cool image TFB12)!  Meant to focus more on the whisky than my ever-advancing age, but it's nice to get all the kind thoughts. 

My actual birthday is next Sunday, so I'm hoping for another good present--a victory for the Pats over the Panthers (followed by another dram, of course). 

Kind of a funny story . . . my wife got the whisky to give me next week on my actual birthday, but she was showing me some funny photos of our new spaniel puppy on her iPhone and scrolled passed what she wanted to show me to a photo of a shopping cart full of wine and beer, with the whisky right on top.  She snapped that photo to send to a friend as joke about what she was buying for food for the week. I recognized the Highland Park right away and said something about it, which got a response from my wife: "You bas*ard, I guess I may as well give it to you now."  Which, of course, was fine by me, so we shared a nice dram and celebrated a week early.  

Maybe I'll get lucky and she'll get me another bottle next week . . .   thanks to all your suggestions above, I've got a couple of good hints to drop . . . 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, Happy Birthday! 

Really an exceptional, world class whiskey. Chocolate. Oak. Great.

I wish I had a bottle. I have some Balvenie 17 I'm working on, and the obligatory Glenlivet.

For the super expensive stuff, I prefer the Mcallan, vanilla and peat and smoke, as an example of speyside malts. But I always prefer a speysider. 

[/QUOTE]

I love the McCallan 18, the sherry-cask aged variety.  Got that as a gift from a friend several years ago.  One of my all time favourites. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

My Father got me a bottle of Highland Park 25... honestly it burns a hole in my stomach.  Literally took a shot and think I caught a buzz.  It took me 2 years to even crack it open as i waited for a special occasion.  Now i got about 3/4 shots left and waiting for another occasion  :)

[/QUOTE]

Another Highland Park I like (and not quite so expensive, though still on the pricey side) is the 18.  That's a very smooth drinking whisky and one of my favourites for a special glass. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Happy Birthday man.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pro- you obviously have a good woman there! Hang onto her! And Happy Birthday!

[/QUOTE]

She's okay . . . she trains all our hunting dogs too . . . 

Only thing, she absolutely hates football . . . but fortunately she has no problem with me watching and going to games as long as I don't make her do it too  .  .  . 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

Happy Birthday, Pro. Good selection. Drop a hint to get a St. Magdalene 20 year old from their Waterloo Street Distillery's 100th anniversary for the next major one. Should be on every single malt'ers bucket list. But at a 1000 British pounds a bottle, you had better be a very, very good boy. Not many bottles left.

Wow!  1,000 pounds . . . that's two season tickets at Gillette! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Are your birthday balloons shaped like footballs...?  spheroid-like? HB and congrats on your fine gift...  Must be good to start a thread about.  I havent developed a taste for whiskey beyond jameisons or JD...  but will give it a try when I get a chance.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I can afford balloons after the whisky Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lol ^ classic

Happy birthday Pro, I'm late to the party... and a tequila drinker to boot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Would be cool to have a drink with Belichick . . . now that would be a special birthday present if there was a way to do it.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the effects last longer. The Patriots play every year but there were less than 400 bottles of this nectar ever produced or will ever be produced.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

lol ^ classic

Happy birthday Pro, I'm late to the party... and a tequila drinker to boot.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks . . . I had a bad experience with tequila in college.  Couldn't drink the stuff for years after that. I've toughened up a bit though . . .  Wink

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the effects last longer. The Patriots play every year but there were less than 400 bottles of this nectar ever produced or will ever be produced.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is the way to get the drink with Belichick . . . I'll offer to share a bottle of this with him!

I'll invite you and TFB12 too . . . heck, we'll all come and have a BDC.com celebration (though we may need Bob Kraft's wallet to afford it)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe this is the way to get the drink with Belichick . . . I'll offer to share a bottle of this with him!

I'll invite you and TFB12 too . . . heck, we'll all come and have a BDC.com celebration (though we may need Bob Kraft's wallet to afford it)

[/QUOTE]

I will pay to fly in, contribute towards my dram, and be there! So will BB, if I read this guy right. He is fond of the good stuff, methinks. Unlikely that he pays for his drink though.

Sections
Shortcuts