ot: HULK HOGAN was back and running wild on WWE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Free-UB. Show Free-UB's posts

ot: HULK HOGAN was back and running wild on WWE!

just amazing.. my fave all-time wrestler was back and lookin as good as ever. he's the babe ruth if wrestling.. period! he did everything except rip his shirt like the old days. best news though is that undertaker confronted brock lesnar and will b trying to go 22-0 at wrestlemanina. was one of the best ever segments. reallly professional and deliberate. frankly daniel bryan should b fighting for the championship. john cena is slowly becoming the talib of wwe.. very bad timing and increasingly more frequent when it comes to injuries. Reigns is poised to b the next big thing and champion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: ot: HULK HOGAN was back and running wild on WWE!

In response to Free-UB's comment:

just amazing.. my fave all-time wrestler was back and lookin as good as ever. he's the babe ruth if wrestling.. period! he did everything except rip his shirt like the old days. best news though is that undertaker confronted brock lesnar and will b trying to go 22-0 at wrestlemanina. was one of the best ever segments. reallly professional and deliberate. frankly daniel bryan should b fighting for the championship. john cena is slowly becoming the talib of wwe.. very bad timing and increasingly more frequent when it comes to injuries. Reigns is poised to b the next big thing and champion.

What's amazing is how the "sport" of Pro Wrestling has grown to what it is today. It's an athletic soap opera, that's grown into a billon dollar industry. 

I can remember the days in the 60s-70s. Bruno Sammartino was the champ for over a decade, with a year or two run by Pedro Morales. In those days, in some ways, wrestling was better than it is today. Call me perverse, but I used to love seeing the preliminary guys get unmercifully beaten up by the stars, and carried off repeatedly in stretchers. For example, there were a couple of preliminaries named Paul Figueroa and Doctor Beech. These guys were medical marvels, as they survived weekly unmercifully, stretcher carrying off beatings each week...LOL!!!

Then there were the wrestling managers...led by Captain Lou Albano, Classy Freddie Blassie, and my favorite...The Grand Wizard. Albano would usually manage the top villian tag teams, such as the Valliant Brothers, and the Wild Somoans. Blassie had vicious foreign villains, such as the Iron Shiek and Nikolai Volkoff. The Wizard had Stan "The Man" Stasiak, Beautiful Bobby, and the unforgettable Superstar Billy Graham. Crazies like George "The Animal" Steele, Dick "The Bulldog" Brower, and "Crazy" Luke Graham prowled every arena. Fabulous times...LOL!!!

When you watched pro wrestling in those days, you never had to watch the news. You would know who the United Stated was feuding with, judging from the nationality of the wrestling villians. When we were in the Cold War with Russia, there was Nikolai Volkoff, Boris Zucoff, "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff, and, later, his alleged nephew, Nikita Koloff. Prior to that, pro wrestling flamed the post WWII fires by having alleged German wrestlers, such as Waldo Von Erich and Hans Schmidt. There were also Japanese villains, Baba "The Giant", Professor Toru Tanaka, and Mr. Fuji. 

The 80s brought the Hulkster...and ushered in the "modern age" of pro wrestling. But, who can forget the rise of "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair, and "The Four Horseman". There have since been a number of "groups" that have alligned themselves for whatever purpose. But "The Horseman" were the coolest. The foursome of Aarn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Flair, and Lex Luger (preceeded by Ole Anderson and, eventually replaced by Barry Windham) were fabulous, and hilarious "villains".

When "The Horsemen" faded with age, they were eclipsed by the next great group, Degeneration X. DX initially consisted of Shawn Michaels and Triple H...before undergoing transformation to the Road Dogg, X-Pac, Badass Billy Gunn, and Triple H...with China as their valet. 

The NWO would then carry on the tradition of great groups. It was formed initilly by Kevin Nash and Scott Hall (a/k/a Razor Ramon), before "Hollywood" Hulk Hogan joined on, and seized control.

Enough!!! Sorry for babbling on! Though I realize that Vince McMahon has made his fortune on a stockpile of bodies of athletes that lived on a diet of high energy drinks, pain pills and steroids, I have to thank him for years of laughs and great entertainment. Sad that we now know what we know about the effects of those substances. The stories of guys like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Eddie Gilbert, Jake "The Snake" Roberts" Lex Lugar, and Kurt Hennig, a/k/a Mr. Perfect, are tragic. But no one really knew, or concentrated on the abuse of those substances until the turn of the century...much like pro football.            

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hulk Hogan has always been the huge name in wrestling.  Not as Athletic as Ric Flair though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Hulk Hogan has always been the huge name in wrestling.  Not as Athletic as Ric Flair though.

I always liked jimmy superfly snooka. I thought he would have made one heck of an nfl LB.

amazing that hogan can even stand up. They must have really refined those drugs over the years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I always liked jimmy superfly snooka. I thought he would have made one heck of an nfl LB.

amazing that hogan can even stand up. They must have really refined those drugs over the years.

Superfly coming off the top turnbuckle delivering the headbutt was awesome stuff.  I remember the feud he had with Piper where Piper broke a coconut on Snuka's head.  Good stuff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Just for the record, great feuds back in the day.  The 4 Horseman were the best heels ever, feuding with everyone.  Road Warriors vs the Russians were pretty cool too and Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff was pretty good also.  I liked the NWA days.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Just for the record, great feuds back in the day.  The 4 Horseman were the best heels ever, feuding with everyone.  Road Warriors vs the Russians were pretty cool too and Magnum TA vs Nikita Koloff was pretty good also.  I liked the NWA days.

Those were the days. I remember meeting Andre the giant when I was a kid. I came up to his knee cap!

btw...I am coming up on 5000 club

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Loved the Hulkster. Great facial expressions, and gave a good interview. But leg drop may be the weakest "finishing" manuever of all-time.

As for "The Nature Boy", no one has ever been better with the mike in his hand than "Slick Ric". Though without a doubt he was "the dirtiest player in the game", Flair was a much better technical wrestler than Hogan.

But, the Hulkster was the bigger star, and was smarter with his money.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Those were the days. I remember meeting Andre the giant when I was a kid. I came up to his knee cap!

Cool about Andre, did he have a beverage in his hand?  His beer drinking stories are legendary, lmao!!  

5k club.. Cool!  Would you like a personalized avatar made for it?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Ivan Putski, Chief Jay Strongbow, Dean Ho, Tony Garea, Gorilla Monsoon, Larry Zybysco, Killer Kowalski, S D  Jones, Haystacks Calhoun, Big John Studd, The Fabulous Moolah, Pat Patterson, Pedro Morales...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:

Ivan Putski, Chief Jay Strongbow, Dean Ho, Tony Garea, Gorilla Monsoon, Larry Zybysco, Killer Kowalski, S D  Jones, Haystacks Calhoun, Big John Studd, The Fabulous Moolah, Pat Patterson, Pedro Morales...

Most of those guys were way before my time, lol!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

These guys are the history of the game, just like Jim Brown, Roger Staubach, Otto Grahm, Crazy Legs Hirsch etc...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

These guys are the history of the game, just like Jim Brown, Roger Staubach, Otto Grahm, Crazy Legs Hirsch etc...

Yeah, I agree.  I know the names but never watched them wrestle with the exception of Larry Zybysco, Big John Studd, The Fabulous Moolah but all well past their primes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Whatcha gonna do, brother?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Don't forget Geg "THe Hammer" Valentine. I think he was the originator of the Figure-Four Leglock.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Don't forget Geg "THe Hammer" Valentine. I think he was the originator of the Figure-Four Leglock.

Yes, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine!

Buddy Rodgers is credited for inventing the Figure-Four Leg lock.  Greg Valentines father Johnny Valentine used to team up with Buddy Rodgers and started using the Figure-Four leg lock, passed the move down to his son Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Buddy Rodgers is credited for inventing the Figure-Four Leg lock.  Greg Valentines father Johnny Valentine used to team up with Buddy Rodgers and started using the Figure-Four leg lock, passed the move down to his son Greg "The Hammer" Valentine. 

LOL... Only can remember back to Greg. remember watching "the Hammer" vs. Chief Jay Strongbow. they had some sort of special indian rope match back in the late 70's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

LOL... Only can remember back to Greg. remember watching "the Hammer" vs. Chief Jay Strongbow. they had some sort of special indian rope match back in the late 70's.

Well being a flair fan as a kid I always knew he got the Figure-four from Buddy Rodgers.  Learned about Johnny Valentine passing it down to Greg on the internet.

I have older brothers so I growing up we watching some wrestling.  I think the first match I really remember was SGT. Slaughter whipping Bob Buckland on his back causing these big red welts.  I thought wrestling was real, my brothers never told me it was fake, LMAO!  I think that is my first wrestling memory, not 100% sure, but I think so.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Yeah, I agree.  I know the names but never watched them wrestle with the exception of Larry Zybysco, Big John Studd, The Fabulous Moolah but all well past their primes.

You can likely watch them now, on WWE Network.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I have older brothers so I growing up we watching some wrestling.  I think the first match I really remember was SGT. Slaughter whipping Bob Buckland on his back causing these big red welts.  I thought wrestling was real, my brothers never told me it was fake, LMAO!  I think that is my first wrestling memory, not 100% sure, but I think so.

What?? Wrestling is fake???

LOL!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

You can likely watch them now, on WWE Network.

They have their own Network now??

LOL, just kidding.  I have not watched wrestling in years, not sure I would be interested much in even watching the old matches now. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Well being a flair fan as a kid I always knew he got the Figure-four from Buddy Rodgers.  Learned about Johnny Valentine passing it down to Greg on the internet.

Yeah, late 70's early 80's for me. I thought the managers back then were the whole show. Lou Albano, The Grand Wizard & my favorite Classy Freddie Blassie with his signature line "you pencil neck geeks".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Buddy Rodgers was the original "Nature Boy". Ric Flair modeled his wrestling personna after Rodgers. Buddy was the champ in the 60s, until he was defeated by Bruno Sammartino. I believe Bruno broke Buddy's leg in the process. Like Flair, Rodgers, for the most part, was a villain.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

What?? Wrestling is fake???

LOL!!!!

Oops!  Sorry to ruin it for you TexasPat!

Sections
Shortcuts