OT Slingbox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

OT Slingbox

A sling box can only be accessed by one pc I understand. Does it have to be on the channel that you want to live stream or can you watch any channel?  

Any other yes and no's that I should know about?

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Re: OT Slingbox

When I was in Africa one of my coworkers had a Slingbox. It worked awesome for us to watch NFL games, but he did state that his TV back in the United States had to be on the same channel when he was watching it and Africa. Hope this helps, good luck.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

I think the feature set of Slingbox is much more complex than you indicate. I am not a user/owner, but it seems to me that the device enables you to remotely access all of the functionality supported by your set-top-box and then transfer the video via the internet to a single local device ( one device at a time, not only one unique device ).

here is a link to the FAQ, which is probably where you should have started in the first place

http://www.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000571" rel="nofollow">http://www.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000571 

good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Can you record something and play it back later?  Most of the time zones I'm in its not convenient to watch at the time the sport is live. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

No you watch the tv live.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I use it every summer when I'm in Europe.  It acts the same as if you were sitting in front of the TV; one channel at a time.  Mine is hooked up to my DirecTV box.  Since my DirecTV box has a DVR, I am able to watch recorded shows too.  Slingbox can control your cable/satellite box remotely.  It really is like sitting in front of the TV except you are watching the Sling Player software on your PC and controlling your cable/tv with the Sling Player virtual remote control.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

I use it every summer when I'm in Europe.  It acts the same as if you were sitting in front of the TV; one channel at a time.  Mine is hooked up to my DirecTV box.  Since my DirecTV box has a DVR, I am able to watch recorded shows too.  Slingbox can control your cable/satellite box remotely.  It really is like sitting in front of the TV except you are watching the Sling Player software on your PC and controlling your cable/tv with the Sling Player virtual remote control.

Good explanation!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to carawaydj's comment:

Good explanation!

[object HTMLDivElement]

that really was after digging around some more it's just like your DVR.  You can change channels and view recorded shows.  

Im going to have to bite the bullet and get a sling box 500

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

There are at least two versions of the Slingbox.  One of them can only be accessed by one user at a time.  The other, more expensive one, allows more than one user.  The cheaper one is not HD (but you get used to the lower resolution pretty quickly).  I don't know if the more expensive one allows HD, but I think it does.

All Slingboxes allow you to change channels remotely.  However, none can actually turn the set on.  That has to be done at the set.  When the channels are changed, the TV tuner is changed to that station.  I don't know how the multiple access works to avoid conflicts.  I have one that in my son's home in Woburn, but didn't use it last year.  It is the low-res variety.  My older son, in Florida, said he was going to buy the multiple access one, but I don't know if he did.  Last year I hadSunday ticket for free (intro package to Directv) and so he just logged into my account -- high res -- with his iPad and watch it via HDMI cable on his big screen TV.  (BTW, only one remote connection is allowed at a time with Directv.)

All of this requires high speed upload and download so that the streaming is good.  

Hope that helps.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

Mine is connected to my dish network receiver which when you activate the sling software on your device it will turn the receiver on if it is off. As long as the sling box is connected to the internet it will give you all the channels that you subscribe too and all of your recording on the receiver. I can watch all of my programing from my tablet or my phone no matter where I am.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Thanks for all the input!

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

Sections
Shortcuts