In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

[QUOTE]

Couple of entries if I may:

Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT

and from a restaurant perspective:

Skipper's Dock in Stonington

Lindsey's in East Wareham

Back in the day (and I do mean way back long before there were outlets there) the best clams I've ever had from a clam shack was from Johnson's on Route 1 in Kittery, ME.  But that was then and this is now.

Lindsey's?  Solid, but nothing ever stood out. Grandma's pie shop burned down!  haha

I always liked Wood's or Souza's in downtown Plymouth.  It's all about the batter with the fried stuff.   The rest is if it's fresh, which it has to be or you go out of business pretty quick.

[/QUOTE]

Don't disagree on Lindsey's.  Just offering a sit down meal alternative.  Best clams? Nope.  But good food served fast at a reasonable price.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

Re: OT Summer - Best Clam Shack?!?

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Flo's Clam Shark in Newport at 1st beach is great  . . . Quito's on the bay in Bristol, RI (best calamari) . . .  Aunt Carrie in Narragansett and Chelo's makes the best clam cakes.  If you like BIG fried clams try the Red Wing right near the Pats Stadium on Rt 1 in Walpole  .  .  . for the BEST Scallops at any price go to the Tower Tavern on Route 1 in Plainville and have their scallop oscar dinner or their fried scallops!

I was going to put Flo's but I figured I better see if someone put it down. Out of this world. Love them. I think it might be in Mddletown but it's very close to the Newport-Middletown border.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

I like Kellys, but my foavorite is Newicks in NH.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

Newicks in Merrimack NH has been gone for a while....too bad...the Newicks up in Portland ME is excellent.

For fried clams or scallops....I'll take Kens in Scarborough, ME.....now I am starved....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Sandy's in Buzzards Bay - biggest portions of sea food you will ever get. You cant finish the whole thing in one sitting - and definitely will bring ome leftovers...Only place I know that serves WHOLE sea scallops - not cut into pieces like everywhere else.

Good pick, though in my advanced age all that fried food makes me nauseous.  You want the best seafood you have to go to the Cape, and as a true Cape Codder you hit the fish market and do it yourself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sandy's in Buzzards Bay - biggest portions of sea food you will ever get. You cant finish the whole thing in one sitting - and definitely will bring ome leftovers...Only place I know that serves WHOLE sea scallops - not cut into pieces like everywhere else.

Good pick, though in my advanced age all that fried food makes me nauseous.  You want the best seafood you have to go to the Cape, and as a true Cape Codder you hit the fish market and do it yourself.

[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one who thinks Baxter's in Hyannis is overhyped?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT

Back in the day (and I do mean way back long before there were outlets there) the best clams I've ever had from a clam shack was from Johnson's on Route 1 in Kittery, ME.  But that was then and this is now.

Never been to any of these. Most of my clamshack good times are on the North Shore, where I was born, RI where I spent a considerable part of my teens/early 20s. NH, where my parents live now, and a few on the cape, but none in Wareham.

I went to one in Wellfleet by the beach, but I can't recall the name.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good call. I'm not so advanced in age, but fried seafood is getting a bit heavy for me the past few years. It runs in the family, stomach issues. I typically grab steamers when I'm home and out at the shacks ... if they got them. It's a lot healthier, and better for my stomach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to jaytftwofive's comment:

In response to tenace4life's comment:

[QUOTE]

Flo's Clam Shark in Newport at 1st beach is great  . . . Quito's on the bay in Bristol, RI (best calamari) . . .  Aunt Carrie in Narragansett and Chelo's makes the best clam cakes.  If you like BIG fried clams try the Red Wing right near the Pats Stadium on Rt 1 in Walpole  .  .  . for the BEST Scallops at any price go to the Tower Tavern on Route 1 in Plainville and have their scallop oscar dinner or their fried scallops!

I was going to put Flo's but I figured I better see if someone put it down. Out of this world. Love them. I think it might be in Mddletown but it's very close to the Newport-Middletown border.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct, Flo's is in Middletown. I thought it was in Newport myself. I've always associated it with that. 

I dig the love Aunt Carrie's gets, because that place is RI to the core, though they have a great lobster roll, that is perfect Maine coast style. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT

NEver been to any of these. Most of my clamshack good times are on the North Shore, where I was born, RI where I spent a considerable part of my teens/early 20s. NH, where my parents live now, and a few on the cape. 

Not to change the subject but have you had opportunity to eat at Scales & Shells in Newport? For my taste best Lobster Fra Diavolo anywhere.

Little pricey but it has a homey type atmosphere. The menu is on a chalkboard and their kitchen is open along the wall in the dining area.   Great seafood!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT

See, I missed all of those South Shore places. I bet there are a lot, and some good ones too. I actually travelled there to take an ex-GF to Plymouth Rock and discovered this great beach called White Horse a few years ago and I recall seeing a few, but I was really hung over that day and fried anything just wasn't going to happen.

But I tend to stay on the beaten path ... plus I am really partial to beaches in RI and the south part of the Cape that have the warmer water from the Gulf current.

Lindsey's?  Solid, but nothing ever stood out. Grandma's pie shop burned down!  haha

I always liked Wood's or Souza's in downtown Plymouth.  It's all about the batter with the fried stuff.   The rest is if it's fresh, which it has to be or you go out of business pretty quick.

[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT

NEver been to any of these. Most of my clamshack good times are on the North Shore, where I was born, RI where I spent a considerable part of my teens/early 20s. NH, where my parents live now, and a few on the cape. 

Not to change the subject but have you had opportunity to eat at Scales & Shells in Newport? For my taste best Lobster Fra Diavolo anywhere.

Little pricey but it has a homey type atmosphere. The menu is on a chalkboard and their kitchen is open along the wall in the dining area.   Great seafood!!!!

Nope. And go ahead and change the subject ...  haha. This is a nonsense thread anyhow ... so why not make it a yankee (New Englander, not that sh!te team down south) nostalgia thread/catch-all seafood (as if that isn't the same thing) thread. 

But nah, I haven't been down there. I have some Diavalo and I have had some Diavolo... it seems like everywhere has something Diavalo ... and why not ... it's a merger of the italian-american immigrant culture of New England (which I really miss in the deep South, and pilgrim roots of eating everything you can get in a net out of the ocean). 

I recall two dishes ... one really outstanding Diavolo at Trattoria Monica in the North End ... and a Diavolo grilled pizza at Al Forno in Providence ... both really were memorable... 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Trying to help you out here Z.

With all the wall-to-wall TT coverage your thread is likely to get buried.  Almost like a clam.

Haha, punny.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

#1 has to be the ClamBox in Ipswich   ...c'mon you are eating in a clam box!

#2 Liams at Nausett  Beach

how long before the Batter vs Breaded argument comes up?

haha. too true. 

When I was a kid ClamBox was everything, just because of the shape. 

As I grew older (being from Beverly) I really grew to like the Woodman's flavor. 

The batter is realy perfection .... exactly what it should be. 

I measure every other clam shack by them. 

But the Box is no slouch ... I remember my sister getting White Farms Ice Cream and french fries because she *just wouldn't touch* seafood as a little girl.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT

Nope. And I don't give a rats if you change the subject. This is a nonsense thread anyhow ... so why not make it a yankee (New Englander, not that sh!te team down south) nostalgia thread/catch-all seafood (as if that isn't the same thing) thread. 

But nah, I haven't been down there. I have some Diavalo and I have had some Diavolo... it seems like everywhere has something Diavalo ... and why not ... it's a merger of the italian-american immigrant culture of New England (which I really miss in the deep South, and pilgrim roots of eating everything you can get in a net out of the ocean). 

I recall two dishes ... one really outstanding Diavolo at Trattoria Monica in the North End ... and a Diavolo grilled pizza at Al Forno in Providence ... both really were memorable... 

Well if you are in Newport and looking for some good seafood give Scales a whirl. Like I said a little pricey and a bit on the noisy side but the food is fantastic.

Like Al forno's but I am partial to Sienna on the hill. Love the Eggplant and Rissotto sides. I would give you the names but I can't pronounce them never mind spell them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Good call. I'm not so advanced in age, but fried seafood is getting a bit heavy for me the past few years. It runs in the family, stomach issues. I typically grab steamers when I'm home and out at the shacks ... if they got them. It's a lot healthier, and better for my stomach.

Yeah I'm not even that old (under 40) but even as a kid I knew a huge plate of fried clams would make me queezy.  I can eat a few and be good.  I prefer boating out to the sandbar, digging around for some tennis ball sized quahogs and bringing a couple buckets back home.  If we don't have lobsters in the trap you swing down the market and see whats cheap. Natives will tell you the smaller ones are sweeter and more tender but it's baloney, the bigger they are the more you have to steam them is all.  If the jumbos are cheap you have to go big and go home.

Typically we'll start by shucking some quahogs and eating them with lemon juice, hotsauce or horseradish, nothing more needed.  We'll take the remainder of the buckets and either make stuffies or chowder out of them.  Jumbo scallops are easy to bake with a strip of bacon wrapped around them.  Some cold microbrew beers and you have a feast.

This isn't necessarily fancy food but you won't eat better in your life, I've eaten $300 an ounce Iranian caviar, lived on beaches around the world, but it doesn't compare to the meal I can make off the shores of the Cape.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Totally OT, but bear with me, it's summer. Anyone who's lived anywhere near the coast knows the best Clam Shack debates can get dirty, sometimes even dividing families.

But I thought an informal poll plus a link to the Globe's own pole would be a fun diversion for the forum. I'm a north shore kid, who also lived in RI, my vote went to Woodman's first, and I plan on carrying it through till the end, with other votes cast for Kelly's, the Clambox in Ipswich, and Aunt Carries and the Beach Plum. 

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/summer/special/clam_shack_bracket/

Care to relate your favorite or best experience? Trash talking is welcome if it's about clam shacks ... and not focused on Woodman's because after them, the rest of the shacks can do what I do when I go to Woodman's .... get ... in ... line. 

When I was a kid I would wade into the bay at low tide, and dig up a bushel of hard shell clams, referred to as quahogs up there. My Mom would use them to make the best New England style clam chowder ever...make baked stuffed quahogs, and then make a terrific clam/garlic sauce to saturate a couple of pounds of home made linguine. For desert...home made clam cakes!! Outstanding!! Better than anything I've ever had at any restaurant or "clam shack".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Totally OT, but bear with me, it's summer. Anyone who's lived anywhere near the coast knows the best Clam Shack debates can get dirty, sometimes even dividing families.

But I thought an informal poll plus a link to the Globe's own pole would be a fun diversion for the forum. I'm a north shore kid, who also lived in RI, my vote went to Woodman's first, and I plan on carrying it through till the end, with other votes cast for Kelly's, the Clambox in Ipswich, and Aunt Carries and the Beach Plum. 

http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/specials/summer/special/clam_shack_bracket/

Care to relate your favorite or best experience? Trash talking is welcome if it's about clam shacks ... and not focused on Woodman's because after them, the rest of the shacks can do what I do when I go to Woodman's .... get ... in ... line. 

When I was a kid I would wade into the bay at low tide, and dig up a bushel of hard shell clams, referred to as quahogs up there. My Mom would use them to make the best New England style clam chowder ever...make baked stuffed quahogs, and then make a terrific clam/garlic sauce to saturate a couple of pounds of home made linguine. For desert...home made clam cakes!! Outstanding!! Better than anything I've ever had at any restaurant or "clam shack".

TP, man, great story.  And there is truly nothing like home cooking done right and sure seems as though your Mom knew how to do it right.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Newicks in Merrimack NH has been gone for a while....too bad...the Newicks up in Portland ME is excellent.

For fried clams or scallops....I'll take Kens in Scarborough, ME.....now I am starved....

[/QUOTE]

WHAT? How long they been gone? I been overseas for awhile and am coming home for a visit in July. Was looking forward to going!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

^^ Just checked on line. Newicks is still open, it is in Dover, NH.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

^^ Just checked on line. Newicks is still open, it is in Dover, NH.

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

There used to be a Newicks in Merrimack, and it has been gone for several years....didn't know about Dover.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Matunick Oyster Bar if you dont mind the waiting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

See, I missed all of those South Shore places. I bet there are a lot, and some good ones too. I actually travelled there to take an ex-GF to Plymouth Rock and discovered this great beach called White Horse a few years ago and I recall seeing a few, but I was really hung over that day and fried anything just wasn't going to happen.

But I tend to stay on the beaten path ... plus I am really partial to beaches in RI and the south part of the Cape that have the warmer water from the Gulf current.

Interesting thread, ZB and others. I suppose your mid 30's old now. Hello son., hahahha. When you took your GF to Plymouth Rock and if you looked at it and turned your head to the right you would have been looking straight at my place, up on the very high cliff overlooking PR, it's on the water but 100' straight up.

Bought it from a friend years ago, almost 2 acres with a long private road leading into the place, what a view. Google Earth shows the view.  Your home town Beverly is a place where we most likely know some people in common.

Yes, the steamed clams in a bucket with a butter dip will do it for me too. The trick with the fried clams is the very light batter, and I avoid the frenchies. But I enjoy the light battered fried Oysters most and sometimes just a mix of both fried clams and Oysters.

TexasPat ..... Stop it! you're making me hungry with the home made clam or fish chowder and clam cakes which our Mother taught us also. Yes, Quohogs. The mud flats in Ipswich at low tide is where we used to go to dig. I think you need a license for that now. We had an old boat and we set lobster traps filled with bait and returned a week later and actually threw the one pounders back into the sea.

The thing with Lobster traps is that you need to have a unique color on your bobs to allow everyone a quick view because the Sea is tricky to locate exactly. The reason for this is if someone tries to steal from your traps, there is still an old Mass. Law on the books that you can actually harm a person stealing from your traps. Does'nt happen often because the people who set thier own traps know this and respect it. Yep, People getting caught stealing our cockroaches of the Sea are in big trouble.

If anyone remembers the 'Lobster Claw' on Rte 28 in North Reading that was the place to go for clams, the best fried or steamed clams or haddock anywhere.

Recently and Ironically, I met the same guy from the Lobster Claw, whose sister opened clam/fish shacks in New Smyrna Beach, Fl. and Orlando.  I simply mentioned to the waitress that this food was great and tasted just like a place in Boston I knew. She said , "was that the Lobster Claw? I said "yes", "Oh this is the same owner" she said...... How remarkable things just happen...huh?  He and his sister came out from the kitchen and we had a good laugh. If you go there and take a lady with you, order the Lobster Bisque as an appetizer, afterwhich, I guarantee she will give you anything you desire...;-))

Wishing good fortune to you ....