OT Summer - Best Clam Shack?!?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Re: OT Summer - Best Clam Shack?!?

Kick down on the mud and watch for the squirt ....then dig.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Portions at the Clam Box are insane.  Clam roll and rings can last two meals.  At least, they used to be.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

If you go to the Pats games try the Chieftain on Route 1 about 3 miles south of the stadium at the Plainville/North Attleboro line . .  .  I left them off my original list but they are right up there with the best fried clams and their steamer bucket is huge!  Plus as an Irish pup they have some good beers on tap!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

For over sixty years, I have been attempting to replicate the absolutely delicious clam cakes served at the old Crescent Park in Rhode Island with a nod also to those served at the shoreline dining hall at Rocky Point Park, also in R.I.

To date, this is the closest I've come in my quest.

HOMEMADE CLAM CAKES:

1 pt. fresh clams

1 tbs. Baking powder

1 ½ tsp. salt

1 C. milk

1 tbs. Butter

1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp. chopped parsley

2 eggs beaten

2 tsp. grated onion

Chop clams. Combine dry ingredients. Combine eggs, milk, onion, butter, and clams. Combine with dry ingredients and stir until smooth. Drop teaspoon of batter into hot shortening at 350° and fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper or shake in brown paper bag. Serve with cold beer of choice during 1st inning and be ready to make more for your guests by the 3rd inning.

Bon appetit.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to mgraham's comment:

#1 has to be the ClamBox in Ipswich   ...c'mon you are eating in a clam box!

#2 Liams at Nausett  Beach

how long before the Batter vs Breaded argument comes up?

Definately agree the ClamBox in Ipswich--hands down. I am a lover of whole bellied clams and you don't get any better than theClamBox. And i lived in the South Shore my whole life. BTW Brockton has a pretty darned good seafood place by the Movie theaters just off the Highway forget the name, but pretty darn good seafood for Brockton!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

You guys are killin' me!!!

Twenty years in SW Fla. Most of the seafood leaves something to be desired. As for clams in these parts they're strips. No bellies. Large mid-western population here and they just don't understand bellies. I gave up years ago trying to find a good clam shack. I remember Sandy's in Buzzards Bay. Am I wrong or did they also sell some kick-a** pies there?

When I lived in Mass., I was more like wozzy. Get your own and see to it yourself. Grab a rake and hit the flats for little necks. If you were lucky you'd get a small pile of razors. Best clams there are. Then into the waist deep water to stomp around for quahogs. After that find an eel grass bed and pick some mussels. Catch a few blues for the grill and you've got a feast that is hard to beat. If you have enough clams - or enough patience - put some in a bucket and cover them with moist corn meal and put the bucket in a cool dark place. After a couple of days the clams have eaten the meal and stuffed themselves. That's when they're ready for frying. By then, if you're worth your New England Salt, you've smoked some of that bluefish and another feast ensues.

In the past I've tried setting crab traps here with marginal success. Usually I end up buying them. When I do I make crab cakes to make any Marylander jealous. How do I know? My two room-mates are from Maryland and say my 'cakes are some of the best they've ever had. NO! I'm not printing the recipe.

Like I say, I've been living in what they call "paradise" here for a long time without too many breaks. This summer I get to escape. Atlanta for work in July, then straight to the Atlantic coast. Wilmington N.C. first, to see about possibilities for work and to visit their battleship. After that, on up the coast checking on work availability and seeing sights, stopping in Onset to see my sister and hopefully catching some of those blues in The Canal. Then to Portland to look for work and on to Acadia for some camping. Sampling the seafood all along the way. If I am fortunate I won't have to return to this "paradise" and will be able to stay in what I think of as PARADISE... New England.

(sorry for rambling on)

Wish me luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

My favorite - Fisherman's Net in Raymond, Maine - has sadly closed....

But the kids love The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport. I always felt like it was bit too expensive.

Now we live in Bethesda, Maryland, and dream of those summer days in Maine.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

[/QUOTE]

Good luck. Yeah, Florida blows for seafood if you are from NE. It's basically good shrimp and that's it. And, you won't find it on Atlantic Beach in Wilmington, NC either, man.  Nice enough beach especially in the offseason when it's not overloaded, but you'll be a little disappointed with the seafood on the waterfront. It's just the worst and between that and the pizza problem (and Chinese) in the Midwest or SE, outside of sounding like a food snob, there's just very minimum options in those areas.

Check out the Copper Penny in downtown Wilmington.  It's solid bar/restaurant with good beer on tap

http://www.copperpennync.com/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the luck and the tip. If there's no work there I won't be staying long. I will check out the Copper Penny, though. Looks like a cool place.

Should I tell them Griswold sent me? Laughing

edit: I've found a couple of halfway decent Chinee places here. Not great but O.K. Pizza pretty much sucks. A lot of Chicago style. Too thick and you can't call them toppings if they're covered with cheese. Nothing like in Mass. so, like seafood, I'm better off making my own. The secret is never use the local water to make the dough.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good luck. Yeah, Florida blows for seafood if you are from NE. It's basically good shrimp and that's it. And, you won't find it on Atlantic Beach in Wilmington, NC either, man.  Nice enough beach especially in the offseason when it's not overloaded, but you'll be a little disappointed with the seafood on the waterfront. It's just the worst and between that and the pizza problem (and Chinese) in the Midwest or SE, outside of sounding like a food snob, there's just very minimum options in those areas.

Check out the Copper Penny in downtown Wilmington.  It's solid bar/restaurant with good beer on tap

http://www.copperpennync.com/

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the luck and the tip. If there's no work there I won't be staying long. I will check out the Copper Penny, though. Looks like a cool place.

Should I tell them Griswold sent me? Laughing

edit: I've found a couple of halfway decent Chinee places here. Not great but O.K. Pizza pretty much sucks. A lot of Chicago style. Too thick and you can't call them toppings if they're covered with cheese. Nothing like in Mass. so, like seafood, I'm better off making my own. The secret is never use the local water to make the dough.

[/QUOTE]

Haha. Nah, not a regular or anything in there.  A friend of mine has a beach house out there and I grabbed it last year in April for a bout a week with some friends. I will say this, about the Copper Penny which is tied to the Pats...I mentioned this story before when the "watching Pats in sports bars" topic comes up.  We were at the bar, in the center section, right, towards the front part and these two NY tools were yammering on.  The SOx game was on and we were tossing a few back and watching. So, of course they ask who we are rooting for, probably knowing our answer. I made the mistake of saying "Sox".  They then proceeded to bring up SB 46. I figured a quick "hope you enjoyed your second lucky SB win" would shut them up. Didn't. That was unfortunate.

So, if you do go in there, you can have a chuckle on my behalf knowing I came close to having to literally cut it short and get out of there due to two annoying NY/NJ tools who wouldn't shut up. And, I am not about to get arrested at this point either.  haha

1. One other suggestion on the waterfront at Atlantic Beach is Britt's Donuts. Highly recommended.  Arguably the best donut you'll ever eat.

Took me about 3 months to find a legit pizza joint in Chicago when I moved there. The idea of "thin crust" for Midwesterners is like frozen pizza cardboard consistency. Unreal.  I finally found a couple places and didn't even care if I needed to pay more for them to go out of their delivery zone.  I think there was a Seinfeld episode about that once.  The nice people of the Midwest don't realize their pizza is very much in fact inferior. Less is more.   To this day, I am not sure anything beats Regina's in the North End.

[/QUOTE]

LOL. Yeah, I know about NY/NJ tools. A few of them are my good friends and co-workers and none of them is worth getting arrested over. My route will take me through the heart of "enemy territory" and I will see about work at the Meadowlands, Jones Beach on L.I. and in N.Y.C. Hopefully some of my tool friends put in a good word for me. Thanks, I'll definitly check out those donuts.

Sections
Shortcuts