OT- The Best Deep Ball Thrower on This Team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

OT- The Best Deep Ball Thrower on This Team?

Jimmy G.

Honestly, in all seriousness, if the circumstances were that the pocket was perfectly protected and the QB's first option was a go route 40 yards downfield I think I'd take Garoppolo throwing it.

Just in these 2 games, his tosses deep have looked beautiful.

I would, in all seriousness, take a Garoppolo bomb over a Brady bomb at this point and that's not a shot at Brady. I just see it as fact.

Brady does everything else 10000 x better but I think Jimmy G throws a better deep ball

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: OT- The Best Deep Ball Thrower on This Team?

I think it's a bit early to tell, but Garappolo has looked pretty good on his deep passes.  Of course Tyms has been his primary target and Tyms has the size and speed (and basketball skills) to be a good deep receiver.  Brady's throw to Edelman was a good one, but Edelman is not an ideal receiver for that route. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I think it's a bit early to tell, but Garappolo has looked pretty good on his deep passes.  Of course Tyms has been his primary target and Tyms has the size and speed (and basketball skills) to be a good deep receiver.  Brady's throw to Edelman was a good one, but Edelman is not an ideal receiver for that route. 

Also good points. Maybe we will get to see a Tyms to Brady connection in the future?

From what I've seen just natural throwing I like Jimmy's deep ball. Brady has obviously fallen off a bit in that category and is still solid, but Jimmy man, Jimmy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Actually Edelman has deceiving speed, and is better than people think on deep routes.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Garoppolo looks like he never throws the ball hard. Mallet on the other hand gets it there in a hurry. 

Someone said the pats real QB target was bortles. He sure has looked like the real deal so far

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Jimmy G.

Honestly, in all seriousness, if the circumstances were that the pocket was perfectly protected and the QB's first option was a go route 40 yards downfield I think I'd take Garoppolo throwing it.

Just in these 2 games, his tosses deep have looked beautiful.

I would, in all seriousness, take a Garoppolo bomb over a Brady bomb at this point and that's not a shot at Brady. I just see it as fact.

Brady does everything else 10000 x better but I think Jimmy G throws a better deep ball

I agree with you Joe. Brady has never had a great deep ball. I hate the Moss argument. Randy Moss was probably the greatest deep threat of all time. He had the height, speed and most importantly the knowledge and ability to adjust to the deep ball. Like Dennis Rodman on rebounds. You can't find a Randy Moss anywhere, he doesn't grow on trees. Jimmy G shows nice accuracy on his deep throws. I don't mean to bash Brady here. Just for the record I do think Brady is a top 3 QB of all time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

Actually Edelman has deceiving speed, and is better than people think on deep routes.

Decent speed, but he's short and compact, not tall and rangy like really good deep guys tend to be.  Not saying he can't run deep routes, but he's not a big target, with long arms to reach around or above the coverage.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

The fact Tyms is out there actually catching the throws helps.  I'll be pissed if this guy doesn't make the team because he'll be catching 50 passes somewhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Brady really came into his long ball during the first couple of years Moss was here.  Since then though it's been on a slow decline, and truthfully whenever I see him go deep these days I cringe.  Especially because aside from Gronk we don't have anyone with a truly wide catch radius that can go up and get the ball. 

Mallett has a Bledsoe like cannon.  Seriously it's like watching an artillery piece fire whenever he launches one down field.  Jimmy G though is deceiving when he throws deep because it doesn't look like it's going to go deep.  He has that rare touch with effortless and minimum motion that is really something to watch.  Out of the two of them, I'm not sure who I think is the "best" deep ball thrower, but I know which one throws a prettier deep ball. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Up to this point, Jimmy G appears to have better control over long passes depending on what it needs. The trajectory varies depending on what is going on at that moment and whether it requires velocity or needs a touch.

Mallett tries to throw everything hard/on a rope, low trajectory, little touch.

Brady, accuracy on long balls is questionable. His trajectory varies depending on how his mechanics are going. I don't think he has as much control - but works very hard on the mechanics side of things.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

mallet did show some touch last nite

i think I also heard last nite what I have tried to say. There are really no qbs that could be had once the season gets started, or even now, We have 3and any talk of Mallett going anywheres but here seems silly

seems to me that the long bomb is very dependent on the wr, his speed , his adjustment to the ball , his hands and his catch radius. , Moss had all. the less catch radius and the odds are longer. Weiss once said that TB was the best long passer, I don't know if it is true now, no one makes them all. Haven't seen enuf of jg to have an. Opinion, Mallet with more time could develop like a pitcher in baseball.

i am glad we have all 3 this year

i know our odds of a sb go down wo TB, but I don't think anyone on that team would give up if the worst happened, and neither will I

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

mallet did show some touch last nite

i think I also heard last nite what I have tried to say. There are really no qbs that could be had once the season gets started, or even now, We have 3and any talk of Mallett going anywheres but here seems silly

seems to me that the long bomb is very dependent on the wr, his speed , his adjustment to the ball , his hands and his catch radius. , Moss had all. the less catch radius and the odds are longer. Weiss once said that TB was the best long passer, I don't know if it is true now, no one makes them all. Haven't seen enuf of jg to have an. Opinion, Mallet with more time could develop like a pitcher in baseball.

i am glad we have all 3 this year

i know our odds of a sb go down wo TB, but I don't think anyone on that team would give up if the worst happened, and neither will I

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

the last time the Patriots carried 3 QBs was when Mallett was a rookie. So, chances are, the Patriots will keep 3.
    IMO, I really didn't see much touch from Mallett. I saw him try several times during the first two preseason games. It came much more easily with Jimmy G, and he's a rookie with very, very limited professional experience. Mallett's been in the system for 4 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

The fact Tyms is out there actually catching the throws helps.  I'll be pissed if this guy doesn't make the team because he'll be catching 50 passes somewhere.

he still has to show that he's getting route running and optional routes.  He did show that he isn't a one trick pony last night, but still needs work. I, too, would like to see him make this team. Maybe Dobson will hurt his foot again and end up on IR.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Nobody has the cannon arm that Mallet has, he can go further and see over the line.  If we're strictly talking deep ball... after that it is the talent and inline speed of the receiver that takes over.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Nobody has the cannon arm that Mallet has, he can go further and see over the line.  If we're strictly talking deep ball... after that it is the talent and inline speed of the receiver that takes over.

4th play of the 2012 season is burned in my brain forever.  After a beautiful play action fake, Brady throws a perfect bomb to a wide open Lloyd for and easy catch and TD........but for some reason Lloyd decides to stop running, turns towards the QB and leaps as the ball sails over his hands.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

4th play of the 2012 season is burned in my brain forever.  After a beautiful play action fake, Brady throws a perfect bomb to a wide open Lloyd for and easy catch and TD........but for some reason Lloyd decides to stop running, turns towards the QB and leaps as the ball sails over his hands.  

That was an ugly play, he stopped, turned completely around and then tripped on his own feet when he realized he should have kept going.   I really thought after seeing him get so wide open that Lloyd was going to be very productive here, but things only went downhill with him after that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

No quarterback is absolutely accurate on a long pass.  A lot of the success of those plays depends on the receiver being able to adjust to the ball in the air and compete for the ball against the defender. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Any QB in the NFL puts a long ball in an area where the WR can make a play on the ball. There is no Pats WR that can win a one on one battle for a ball in the air that long. That is why this team does not utilize the long ball in its game plan in spite of the most accurate qb in football

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Any QB in the NFL puts a long ball in an area where the WR can make a play on the ball. There is no Pats WR that can win a one on one battle for a ball in the air that long. That is why this team does not utilize the long ball in its game plan in spite of the most accurate qb in football

Dobson could change that, Tyms has some fight, Thompkins has some incredible body control and contortion ability when the ball is in the air.  I think they have missed a deep ball threat, having two healthy slot guys, Gronk, better interior blocking and a consistent run game to create play action opportunities could really open things up this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

On a very small sample size it does appear JG might have the edge over TB on the deep ball.  I like the trajectory he uses (nice arc) so that the CB/S can't undercut the route to break it up or intercept.

I'll even go farther and say (again - very small sample size) that JG might have the edge on throws outside the numbers.

Where TB is way ahead of JG is the bread and butter inside the number throws.  Those are the throws you have to make to move the chains consistently.   And those throws (short/underneath) may be all you have in cold/snowy/windy weather.

JG will need to improve with his ability to find throwing lanes, because his height is a disadvantage relative to the prototypical QB and the size of both O and D linemen.   But time is on his side.   Mallett never looked this good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Brady can go deep when it's there but the Pats don't really have a deep threat (perhaps Dobson).  The deep out to LaFell last night was a perfectly thrown ball by Jimmy G but I'm not ready to anoint him.  Yeah, I like the kid but let's see some more first.

Mallett has a canon, no question.  For now give me Tommy boy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

The ball was way underthrown.

"perfect bomb"..????

An underthrow with Lloyd waiting on it or Ocho waiting on an easy TD at home vs the Giants are not "perfect" whatsoever. They are actually horrendously thrown balls.

"Decides to stop running"..???  LOL!  He had to stop running because of the awful trajectory on the ball. You literally have no idea what you're talking about here and clearly never played football.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Really?  Then why did he have to stop and wait if it sailed over his head?  Liar.  Makes no GD sense.

It was a perfect pass and the problem with Lloyd is that he tended to try and make every catch a circus catch.

Maybe to prove how great he thought he was and wasn't.  kind of like you.

Lloyd often slowed and just plain stopped routes.  Always!  That's why he had no YAC.  he was always diving through the air needlessly, instead of finishing a freaken route.

He sucked and apparently your beebee agreed.

He's also as psycho as you, too.  No wonder you liked him.  LMAO@U

Sections
Shortcuts