OT- The Best Deep Ball Thrower on This Team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Re: OT- The Best Deep Ball Thrower on This Team?

The Patriots do take their shots downfield, so, to say they don't a have a deep ball game is silly. It's about situational football.  They throw quite a few more short/intermediate passes because those kinds of passes have a higher percentage of completion.  The purpose of the offense is to score points; not to simply chuck it down field all the time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nobody has the cannon arm that Mallet has, he can go further and see over the line.  If we're strictly talking deep ball... after that it is the talent and inline speed of the receiver that takes over.

4th play of the 2012 season is burned in my brain forever.  After a beautiful play action fake, Brady throws a perfect bomb to a wide open Lloyd for and easy catch and TD........but for some reason Lloyd decides to stop running, turns towards the QB and leaps as the ball sails over his hands.  

[/QUOTE]

The ball was way underthrown.

"perfect bomb"..????

An underthrow with Lloyd waiting on it or Ocho waiting on an easy TD at home vs the Giants are not "perfect" whatsoever. They are actually horrendously thrown balls.

"Decides to stop running"..???  LOL!  He had to stop running because of the awful trajectory on the ball. You literally have no idea what you're talking about here and clearly never played football.

[/QUOTE]

I remember that play, was it in first game of season? Lloyd was wide open, and Brady did throw a bad pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Just went back and watched it, and to me it is on LLoyd. He is open almost immediately on the play, has his eyes on the ball all the way, but slows down a step too soon. Should have been an easy TD.

Back on topic, Jimmy G. looks the part, it's going to be fun watching his development. Nice touch on the deep ball. Doesn't look lost, as others have said he looks like he is in command out there.

Supra societatem nemo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

A lot of people here never saw a Bill Walsh Offense. He was a master. He would use WO's to clear space, to throw underneath on purpose, so mismatches were with RB's. on LB's, and one missed tackle turned into a 20 yard gain. Same as a 20 yard pass, without the chance of a turnover. He called it the long Hand-off.
    Wideouts were important on the deep pass, but he underneath you enough, so you were literally covering the whole field. He also said the play action pass, is the most dynamic play in football, never once had a shot-gun Offense. Took the deception away.

RB's should be in passing game, just as much as Wide Receivers, and TE's, otherwise your predictable. When your predictable, you can be Defensed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nobody has the cannon arm that Mallet has, he can go further and see over the line.  If we're strictly talking deep ball... after that it is the talent and inline speed of the receiver that takes over.

[/QUOTE]

4th play of the 2012 season is burned in my brain forever.  After a beautiful play action fake, Brady throws a perfect bomb to a wide open Lloyd for and easy catch and TD........but for some reason Lloyd decides to stop running, turns towards the QB and leaps as the ball sails over his hands.  

[/QUOTE]

"perfect bomb"..????

An underthrow with Lloyd waiting on it or Ocho waiting on an easy TD at home vs the Giants are not "perfect" whatsoever. They are actually horrendously thrown balls.

"Decides to stop running"..???  LOL!  He had to stop running because of the awful trajectory on the ball. You literally have no idea what you're talking about here and clearly never played football.

[/QUOTE]

Oh geez, you are deep in your hole today.  The ball went over Lloyd's head and outstretched arms as he leapt for it.  In what topsy turvy world is a ball thrown over someone's head and outstretched arms as he leaps "underthrown"?

If Lloyd had kept running in stride he could have caught it.  He tried to back shoulder it, though, for some odd reason.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think there's a lot that goes into it, but JG seems to have nice touch on the deep ball...great trajectory too. I do remember Brady being pretty damn good at it too, his first year as a starter he absolutely roasted the colts with two perfect deep balls in Indy...and of course he was magic with Moss. But JG does look like he throws a better deep ball.

Bledsoe looked great throwing deep balls in practice (with no pressure), but in a real games he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn on the deep stuff. I can't count how many times Terry Glenn was wide open deep and Bledsoe would either lead him too much or let it hang in the air for ten minutes, as Glenn had to slow down for it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"perfect bomb"..????

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Really?  Then why did he have to stop and wait if it sailed over his head?  Liar.  Makes no GD sense.

It was a perfect pass and the problem with Lloyd is that he tended to try and make every catch a circus catch.

Maybe to prove how great he thought he was and wasn't.  kind of like you.

Lloyd often slowed and just plain stopped routes.  Always!  That's why he had no YAC.  he was always diving through the air needlessly, instead of finishing a freaken route.

He sucked and apparently your beebee agreed.

He's also as psycho as you, too.  No wonder you liked him.  LMAO@U

[/QUOTE]

It's amazing how a guy without DirecTV can comment on a 1:00 game at Tennessee that wasn't Nationally Televised. What a F***ing liar. Busted again. I guess that's why the azzzhol said it was under thrown.....He never even seen the play he's trying to blame on Brady.  What a Troll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The fourth best deep ball thrower on this team is Julian Edelman.  He caught a lateral and then successfully threw a forward pass in practice.  That play is in the playbook.  Wait for it.

Not that Edelman has any accuracy.

If the Patriots are 1 to 8 points behind and they want a deep deep 60 yard Vee Tip ball with four seconds left on the clock, they have to go with Mallett for the win or the tie.  "Best" has multiple characteristics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Age catches up with you only thing left is brains.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to Homecheese's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

Jimmy G.

Honestly, in all seriousness, if the circumstances were that the pocket was perfectly protected and the QB's first option was a go route 40 yards downfield I think I'd take Garoppolo throwing it.

Just in these 2 games, his tosses deep have looked beautiful.

I would, in all seriousness, take a Garoppolo bomb over a Brady bomb at this point and that's not a shot at Brady. I just see it as fact.

Brady does everything else 10000 x better but I think Jimmy G throws a better deep ball

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Joe. Brady has never had a great deep ball. I hate the Moss argument. Randy Moss was probably the greatest deep threat of all time. He had the height, speed and most importantly the knowledge and ability to adjust to the deep ball. Like Dennis Rodman on rebounds. You can't find a Randy Moss anywhere, he doesn't grow on trees. Jimmy G shows nice accuracy on his deep throws. I don't mean to bash Brady here. Just for the record I do think Brady is a top 3 QB of all time.

[/QUOTE]

The Randy Moss argument actually makes the OP's case.  Apart from 07 I think a lot of us cringed whenever Brady would throw deep for Moss.  It seemed as if half of them would get intercepted.  It worked in 07 but not when Brady returned to the field in 09+.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

In a meaningless scrimmage, Jimmy G. In a game that matters, Brady. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"perfect bomb"..????

[/QUOTE]

Oh geez, you are deep in your hole today.  The ball went over Lloyd's head and outstretched arms as he leapt for it.  In what topsy turvy world is a ball thrown over someone's head and outstretched arms as he leaps "underthrown"?

If Lloyd had kept running in stride he could have caught it.  He tried to back shoulder it, though, for some odd reason.  

[/QUOTE]

False.  Lloyd slowed up for it, waited for it, but mistimed his jump. The concept of  this thread is deep ball accuracy and consistency.

BRADY SUCKS TO THE MOON AND BACK AT IT.

FACT

He only hits on them off of playaction, if that.  Another fact.

Since 2008 when he blew out his leg, his deep ball has gotten worse, with some kind of an apparent fear of stepping into throws at the line of scrimmage. 

[/QUOTE]

Say whatever you want, but I have the game film and just watched it and you're wrong. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

False.  Lloyd slowed up for it, waited for it, but mistimed his jump. The concept of  this thread is deep ball accuracy and consistency.

FACT

Since 2008 when he blew out his leg, his deep ball has gotten worse, with some kind of an apparent fear of stepping into throws at the line of scrimmage. 

[/QUOTE]

A real fact--on film for everyone in the world to see:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000109387/Stallworth-63-yard-TD" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000109387/Stallworth-63-yard-TD" rel="nofollow">http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000109387/Stallworth-63-yard-TD

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

mallet did show some touch last nite

i think I also heard last nite what I have tried to say. There are really no qbs that could be had once the season gets started, or even now, We have 3and any talk of Mallett going anywheres but here seems silly

seems to me that the long bomb is very dependent on the wr, his speed , his adjustment to the ball , his hands and his catch radius. , Moss had all. the less catch radius and the odds are longer. Weiss once said that TB was the best long passer, I don't know if it is true now, no one makes them all. Haven't seen enuf of jg to have an. Opinion, Mallet with more time could develop like a pitcher in baseball.

i am glad we have all 3 this year

i know our odds of a sb go down wo TB, but I don't think anyone on that team would give up if the worst happened, and neither will I

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

[/QUOTE]

the last time the Patriots carried 3 QBs was when Mallett was a rookie. So, chances are, the Patriots will keep 3.
    IMO, I really didn't see much touch from Mallett. I saw him try several times during the first two preseason games. It came much more easily with Jimmy G, and he's a rookie with very, very limited professional experience. Mallett's been in the system for 4 years.

[/QUOTE]

One of the announcers said so on one of mallets throws

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

"perfect bomb"..????

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

FACT

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

100% FALSE!

FACT!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

The fact Tyms is out there actually catching the throws helps.  I'll be pissed if this guy doesn't make the team because he'll be catching 50 passes somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

+1 hoping he makes the team unless we got a better star. dotn see that happening.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

Why the "OT" in the thread title? Nothing off-topic about the subject

A discussion started about the home team's QBs on a home team's message board

What could be more on-topic than that?

Sections
Shortcuts