OT; Who do you think are the toughest athletes today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

OT; Who do you think are the toughest athletes today?

Only going with the 4 major sports and not MMA or WWE (lol) who do you think are the toughest athletes in sports? I got to go; Hockey, football, basketball and baseball. I think the PBA is a close 4th to baseball players if bowling was a sport.

P.S.  2 more weeks til the draft is finally here!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: OT; Who do you think are the toughest athletes today?

Easily Hockey. Bergeron had a punctured lung and finished a game and Campbell with a broken leg staying on skates for over a minute? Not even a contest. Football is second with players like Brady playing with broken ribs then baseball and basketball aren't even in the convo for toughness.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Yep, hockey, by far #1.  Football is second, but, look at how they are changing the rules to diminish hits. Basketball for the combination of athleticism and endurance.

As for MMA, I just do not see how this is a sport in which the pure objective is to beat down on another person in which the intent truly is to injure.  What kind of mindset one has to have to think beating up people is a way to make a living?  Just sayin'!

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Hockey and it ain't close.  

I have a hard time using NBA and 'tough' in the same sentence, so football followed by baseball round out 1-3.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Hockey, Football, Basketball, Baseball in that order, of course.  But please don't make the mistake of slotting basketball and baseball side by side.  Conditioning for basketball alone places it above baseball on the food chain. Combine that with the constant physical contact (and that happens practically every time down the court) and hoops is definitely 3rd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hockey players are some tough SOB's, no doubt, though I'm not sure what makes them far and away tougher than football players.  I get it, they play through injuries, some severe (as we've seen with many B's players), but you don't think football players are doing the same thing... and in a more violent and physically taxing sport?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

The thing is, hockey players have to do it more than once a week as opposed to football players.

So I still would go with hockey.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

If the games played were equal I'd take football. However with an 82 game schedule + playoffs I would say hockey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

How do you define tough? Playing through injury? I think that is part of it. I think hockey is a very physical sport, but I think football players take more hits and more punishing ones. Plus, depending upon the position, are hit multiple times by multiple attackers very often and at once. I will pick football players in general, with hockey second, then baseball and last basketball. If MMA was included, I would put that first along with boxing. Boxing should be in this discussion as its a major sport and has been for some time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hockey players are some tough SOB's, no doubt, though I'm not sure what makes them far and away tougher than football players.  I get it, they play through injuries, some severe (as we've seen with many B's players), but you don't think football players are doing the same thing... and in a more violent and physically taxing sport?

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Trust me MB, I've played both. Football there's a little bit of give and for the most part the ground helps to cushion it. Hockey you get knocked into boards or being sent flying to land on hard ice hurts like you wouldn't believe if you land the wrong way. Not to mention you do it on a much more regular basis not giving bruises chances to heal, it's painful. If both were equal in game time that might change my opinion but just the frequency of hits taken in hockey and not being able to heal between those hard hits still makes me wince more than when I played football.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Trust me MB, I've played both. Football there's a little bit of give and for the most part the ground helps to cushion it. Hockey you get knocked into boards or being sent flying to land on hard ice hurts like you wouldn't believe if you land the wrong way. Not to mention you do it on a much more regular basis not giving bruises chances to heal, it's painful. If both were equal in game time that might change my opinion but just the frequency of hits taken in hockey and not being able to heal between those hard hits still makes me wince more than when I played football.

[/QUOTE]

I've played both too... still doesn't make hockey players far and away tougher than football players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

I've played both too... still doesn't make hockey players far and away tougher than football players.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

True. I guess the memories of watching people get hit in the face with pucks or sticks and get knocked down to the ice, spit out a tooth, then go chasing after the puck until their shift was over with blood running down their chins just is burnt into my head. Quite a few times watching refs picking up a chipped tooth and bringing it over to a bench so they can have it glued back together after the game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol. More violent and taxing sport? That's cute. Sure, football players are bigger, but they are traveling much slower than hockey players who also don't have the convenience of a cage over their face. While football players have a week to lick their wounds, hockey players have a few hours. Did I mentioned the 6oz ofvolcanized rubber traveling 100 mph that hockey players are supposed to block? How bout those 40 seconds between plays?

As as for the list.

1. Hockey (by a mile)

2. Football

3. Baseball

there is no 4 as there is no toughness in basketball. There isn't a single toug basketball player. They play basketball because they're soft 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol. More violent and taxing sport? That's cute. Sure, football players are bigger, but they are traveling much slower than hockey players who also don't have the convenience of a cage over their face. While football players have a week to lick their wounds, hockey players have a few hours. Did I mentioned the 6oz ofvolcanized rubber traveling 100 mph that hockey players are supposed to block? How bout those 40 seconds between plays?

As as for the list.

1. Hockey (by a mile)

2. Football

3. Baseball

there is no 4 as there is no toughness in basketball. There isn't a single toug basketball player. They play basketball because they're soft 

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, at what competitive level have you played the game of basketball?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

[QUOTE]

As as for the list.

1. Hockey (by a mile)

2. Football

3. Baseball

[/QUOTE]

Yes, football is more violent and physically taxing than hockey... there's a reason why they only play 16 regular season games and it's not because their facemasks/cages are providing a ton of protection and they get 40 seconds between plays.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hockey, football, basketball, (and I'd put tennis ahead of baseball).

I've played both hockey and football...I'll say this...hockey is the only sport where I've broken bones, been concussed, threw up, gasped for air, felt like I was going to die, got stitches, got hit so hard that my sinus infection left my body (and landed on my itech face shield in a millisecond). Football was bad at times too - couldn't walk for a week once from a deep knee bruise, but other than that I guess I just got lucky.

I can't imagine what would happen to a hockey player if he went out onto the ice with only the padding a football player wears...you'd probably die. That says something. It's the constant speed of that game and those damn boards that make it so dangerous...plus the sticks...skates too  (I've seen them do some damage).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

*Edit:  Posted in the wrong thread, moved the post to the draft thread.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Beach Bocci guys are a separate category.  They got to be tough to watch the balls rolling on the sand, with all the other distractions. O r are they just pretending?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Wrestling, or triathlon, but if those are not an option...I'd pick football hands down. The NFL is brutal, just look at the guys who used to play. As a group, they're a lot worse off than former NHLers. Way more guys get hurt playing football and way more guys are crippled or just messed up. Google Conrad Dobler some time.

Personally, my competitive experiences were primarily in baseball, football and hoops. I only got seriously hurt playing basketball, go figure. Baseball, I got some bumps and bruises, dislocated thumb, etc., but only because I chose catcher when they asked what position did I play. Live and learn...

But I truly hated playing football by the time I stopped playing. Or, I should say I hated practicing. The games were awesome. Looking back, I probably had a couple dozen concussions and almost all were in practice. Of course, we didn't call them concussions back then, you just got your bell rung - rub some dirt on it.

Basketball used to be very physical, still is occasionally but they've really taken a lot of the physicality out of it. That's another reason I stopped watching.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Only going with the 4 major sports and not MMA or WWE (lol) who do you think are the toughest athletes in sports? I got to go; Hockey, football, basketball and baseball. I think the PBA is a close 4th to baseball players if bowling was a sport.

P.S.  2 more weeks til the draft is finally here!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[/QUOTE]

Hockey and football remain the toughest athletes around. As for endurance sports, swimming, cycling, boxing, etc, are obviously grueling sports.

Soccer won't get mentioned, but try staying in that kind of condition and playing for 90 continuous minutes like that at that level.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Triathletes are right up there both physically and mentally.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

You may think that curling looks easy but

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As as for the list.

1. Hockey (by a mile)

2. Football

3. Baseball

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, at what competitive level have you played the game of basketball?

[/QUOTE]

I think I played until I was 9, and then realized it was the worst, and softest sport ever, if you've ever seen rescue me I look like tommy Gavin playing basketball