OT; Who do you think are the toughest athletes today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: OT; Who do you think are the toughest athletes today?

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Only going with the 4 major sports and not MMA or WWE (lol) who do you think are the toughest athletes in sports? I got to go; Hockey, football, basketball and baseball. I think the PBA is a close 4th to baseball players if bowling was a sport.

P.S.  2 more weeks til the draft is finally here!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

[/QUOTE]

Hockey and football remain the toughest athletes around. As for endurance sports, swimming, cycling, boxing, etc, are obviously grueling sports.

Soccer won't get mentioned, but try staying in that kind of condition and playing for 90 continuous minutes like that at that level.

[/QUOTE]

Soccer, ironically enough, is more boring than watching grass grow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

It's not hard to think about this; tough means - strong enough to withstand adverse conditions or rough or careless handling. That obviously means only football and hockey, while basketball and soccer are played by athletes who work out for their lives but come game time act like they are weak and fragile.

Lets talk about baseball though. If you want to talk mentally tough, imagine anywhere in life that involves failing 70% of the time and still be considered one of the better players in the game. It's hard on your psyche to handle that, comparibly success in basketball is 60% shooting and similar in the nfl with passing completion percentage. What I am trying to say is people like to disregard baseball players as tough athletes because the game involves little to no physical contact.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I'd say pretty close between Football and Hockey--every play in football Olineman and Dlineman butt heads every play and a RB going up the middle getting nailed helmet to helmet by a LB or a WR getting nailed over the middle by a Safety? Daryl Stingleys a paraplygic? Hockey players take checks but 80 percent or so is skating free where football players are getting nailed on every play. We've seen gruesome injuries like Theismans knee being turned 270 degrees and all four tendons ripped out, concussions every week in the NFL-guys like Romanowski that cant find their way home at 45 years old? The average Football player is physically disabled by 50 years old - so I'd say its close between hockey and football no other sport is even in the equation-JMO

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

MMA fighters

Boxers

Everyone else

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:
    [QUOTE]

there is no 4 as there is no toughness in basketball. There isn't a single toug basketball player. They play basketball because they're soft 

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, at what competitive level have you played the game of basketball?

[/QUOTE]

I think I played until I was 9, and then realized it was the worst, and softest sport ever, if you've ever seen rescue me I look like tommy Gavin playing basketball

[/QUOTE]

OK, so you've never really played the sport at a competitive level - got it.  Had you, you may have a bit of a different perspective. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Not on the list and I've never played it, but someone has to mention Aussie rules football.  Those guys run like they're playing soccer but whack and tackle each other like they're playing rugby or gridiron football -- all without pads.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Well, when I saw the title I knew Basketball would not be taken too seriously.

I'm reminded of what my HS coach would say:  Basketball is the only major sport (of the 4) that is played without pads or equipment that could be used as a weapon.  It's played on a hard surface.  Most regular Joes have never experienced the pain of hitting the floor after going high for a rebound/drive with their legs taken out by a defender, unable to brace for the fall.

They've taken a lot of the physical play/enforcer roles out of the NBA because, well, the guys are so strong someone could die or suffer a career-threatening injury (see Kermit Washington/Rudy T.).   Hockey still considers fighting part of their sport.  That's just stupid.   You don't show how tough you are by fighting all the time.

Kevin McHale played on a broken foot in '87 - not for the rest of the game - HALF A SEASON.  Think feet aren't important to a BBall player?

All that said, my list would be Football, Hockey, Basketball, Baseball.   Am I contradicting myself?  I don't think so.   I just think it's a LOT closer than people think for the first 3 sports.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hockey players are some tough SOB's, no doubt, though I'm not sure what makes them far and away tougher than football players.  I get it, they play through injuries, some severe (as we've seen with many B's players), but you don't think football players are doing the same thing... and in a more violent and physically taxing sport?

[/QUOTE]

Lol. More violent and taxing sport? That's cute. Sure, football players are bigger, but they are traveling much slower than hockey players who also don't have the convenience of a cage over their face. While football players have a week to lick their wounds, hockey players have a few hours. Did I mentioned the 6oz ofvolcanized rubber traveling 100 mph that hockey players are supposed to block? How bout those 40 seconds between plays?

As as for the list.

1. Hockey (by a mile)

2. Football

3. Baseball

there is no 4 as there is no toughness in basketball. There isn't a single toug basketball player. They play basketball because they're soft 

[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, at what competitive level have you played the game of basketball?

[/QUOTE]

I think I played until I was 9, and then realized it was the worst, and softest sport ever, if you've ever seen rescue me I look like tommy Gavin playing basketball

[/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hockey players are some tough SOB's, no doubt, though I'm not sure what makes them far and away tougher than football players.  I get it, they play through injuries, some severe (as we've seen with many B's players), but you don't think football players are doing the same thing... and in a more violent and physically taxing sport?

[/QUOTE]

Hockey players play 5x more games than football players. Hockey players are, by far, the toughest and the least arrogant.

Btw, if hockey was an American sport, it would be interesting to see where it would place in popularity with the other 3 sports.

[/QUOTE]

People who aren't even hockey fans always seem to acknowledge the SC PLayoffs remain the best in the business.

It's hard to ignore and hard not to respect.  It's such a grind to even win one playoff round, let along the whole frigging thing.

To me it's hockey by a good margin, then the NFL and then whatever else after that. I'd actually put baseball well above the NBA simply because of the length of the season and the difficulty of constantly stopping and starting one's body when a play happens, and the subsequent toll that actually does take on the body.

The NBA and basketball in general is easily the softest sport around. You literally can't even make any contact of any kind without a whistle. 

Even soccer lets more contact go on than that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

How do you quantify toughness in the first place? There are tough guys in all sports. Most of these guys played multiple sports growing up anyway. There are some baseball players who are tougher men than some football players or hockey players.  

It seems to me we're talking about which sport is tougher on the body. The average non-football athlete, including the average hockey player, plays longer and has fewer after-effects from their sport than the average NFL player. There are exceptions, of course. But on average, going by injuries and lasting effects, football is more hazardous than the other sports. It just is. Does that make it "tougher"? Define tougher, I really don't know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How do you quantify toughness in the first place? There are tough guys in all sports. Most of these guys played multiple sports growing up anyway. There are some baseball players who are tougher men than some football players or hockey players.  

It seems to me we're talking about which sport is tougher on the body. The average non-football athlete, including the average hockey player, plays longer and has fewer after-effects from their sport than the average NFL player. There are exceptions, of course. But on average, going by injuries and lasting effects, football is more hazardous than the other sports. It just is. Does that make it "tougher"? Define tougher, I really don't know.

[/QUOTE]

For me, I was using a set of criteria:

1. Mental toughness.

2. Physical toughness.

3. Odds you might get hurt more/need to play through various injuries based on frequency of physicality of the sport itself.

That's why I brought up soccer. Clearly, it's not a true contact sport, even though there is plenty of it within the play on the field.  Add in the idea that many players flop and dive looking for calls, and it gets a well deserved bad rap.

That said, next to boxers, maybe swimmers or triathletes, they're pretty tough in terms of being able to maintain a high level of play while never leaving the field in constant motion for 90 minutes, especially midfielders.

Soccer practices are tougher than football practices for example. I played soccer and then switched to football in high school. The football practices and overall endurance elements were a breeze compared to soccer, but the contact elements of football make it physically more demanding, obviously.

Hockey is like soccer and football combined.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, when I saw the title I knew Basketball would not be taken too seriously.

I'm reminded of what my HS coach would say:  Basketball is the only major sport (of the 4) that is played without pads or equipment that could be used as a weapon.  It's played on a hard surface.  Most regular Joes have never experienced the pain of hitting the floor after going high for a rebound/drive with their legs taken out by a defender, unable to brace for the fall.

They've taken a lot of the physical play/enforcer roles out of the NBA because, well, the guys are so strong someone could die or suffer a career-threatening injury (see Kermit Washington/Rudy T.).   Hockey still considers fighting part of their sport.  That's just stupid.   You don't show how tough you are by fighting all the time.

Kevin McHale played on a broken foot in '87 - not for the rest of the game - HALF A SEASON.  Think feet aren't important to a BBall player?

All that said, my list would be Football, Hockey, Basketball, Baseball.   Am I contradicting myself?  I don't think so.   I just think it's a LOT closer than people think for the first 3 sports.

[/QUOTE]

And I think that's adorable. 

Basketball is the only major sport played without pads. It's also the only sport the only sport where contact is forbidden. I hear stuff like "so and so got elbowed in the face and stayed in." I find that laughable. When I played you were getting elbowed in the face or speared or cross checked literally every shift. In hockey, the things that register as legendary in basketball aren't even noticed. 

As for the fighting, personally I'd rather see that than two fake tough guys talking trash knowing there will never be a consequence for that. Guys like kg just chirp and chirp knowing if the other guys throw a punch they'll be suspended infinity games

oh and guess what's harder than hard wood.... If you said ice you win 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

Mixed martial arts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Tough . . . 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlG3qqtWNy8

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wrestling, or triathlon, but if those are not an option...I'd pick football hands down. The NFL is brutal, just look at the guys who used to play. As a group, they're a lot worse off than former NHLers. Way more guys get hurt playing football and way more guys are crippled or just messed up. Google Conrad Dobler some time.

Personally, my competitive experiences were primarily in baseball, football and hoops. I only got seriously hurt playing basketball, go figure. Baseball, I got some bumps and bruises, dislocated thumb, etc., but only because I chose catcher when they asked what position did I play. Live and learn...

But I truly hated playing football by the time I stopped playing. Or, I should say I hated practicing. The games were awesome. Looking back, I probably had a couple dozen concussions and almost all were in practice. Of course, we didn't call them concussions back then, you just got your bell rung - rub some dirt on it.

Basketball used to be very physical, still is occasionally but they've really taken a lot of the physicality out of it. That's another reason I stopped watching.  

[/QUOTE]

Wrestling, by far, has the toughest athletes but selecting from the four choices It's easily Hockey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Triathletes are right up there both physically and mentally.

[/QUOTE]

Professional Cyclists and triathletes. Just try racing 120 miles, at an average speed in the mid-20's,  and finishing on a mountain top. Then try doing again the next day, and the next, and the next for 3 weeks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to SoLongHarryTruman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Triathletes are right up there both physically and mentally.

[/QUOTE]

Professional Cyclists and triathletes. Just try racing 120 miles, at an average speed in the mid-20's,  and finishing on a mountain top. Then try doing again the next day, and the next, and the next for 3 weeks.

[/QUOTE]

Thought we were sticking with the four majors

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol. More violent and taxing sport? That's cute. Sure, football players are bigger, but they are traveling much slower than hockey players who also don't have the convenience of a cage over their face. While football players have a week to lick their wounds, hockey players have a few hours. Did I mentioned the 6oz ofvolcanized rubber traveling 100 mph that hockey players are supposed to block? How bout those 40 seconds between plays?

As as for the list.

1. Hockey (by a mile)

2. Football

3. Baseball

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yeah, I was gonna say I've played football and basketball and in basketball I had my nose broken for me by a taller dudes elbow, never happened in football...there were plenty of the same guys I played football against playing basketball against me...depends on how competitive the league is...

Hockey strikes me as tough...I mean pro-level...always moving, incredible stamina, strong legs, real tough guys depending upon the team..all the hitting, catching a 100 mph puck in the face...no thanks...

One sport I'd never play...rugby...real competitive rugby...those guys are NUTS!...friend of mine broke his neck and died from playing rugby in a formal league....no padding, no helmuts...forget that!

Sections
Shortcuts