OT/Why make a Movie about an awful franchise?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

OT/Why make a Movie about an awful franchise?

"Draft Day" Due out April 11th stars Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner... The story is that browns GM Sonny Weaver(Costner) Has traded for the number one pick in the draft, He Must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in the pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal and proffessional life become blurred on a life changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL.  

Doesnt it make a movie kind of anti-climactic when you know that in the end they will just screw it up and draft another no.1 overall bust like tim couch? I just dont understand what would draw an audiance to a movie that revolves around such a historically bad franchise like the browns. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: OT/Why make a Movie about an awful franchise?

A few factors I can think of:

1) Pats/Kraft/Belichick are NEVER going to allow something like that. Period.

2) Someone like Jones in DAL wouldn't allow it because he doesn't want a movie showing what a joker he is.

3) What does CLE have to lose? Since coming back into the league as an expansion team...they've been an utter disaster and a joke.

For  viewing public...as a diehard football fan, I am looking forward to it. There are many casual football fans who aren't so familiar with the Browns history that will enjoy it even more.

Also, it's football! Bad franchise or not, I can almost guarantee it will be a box office success. Every 20-something guy will be bringing his girlfriend to this under the guise of Jennifer Garner being in it, and off the recent success of 'family' sports movies like Trouble With the Curve, it has a BROAD (haha) range of interest I honestly believe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Umm, apparently you missed epic sports movies like The Bad News Bears, Slapshot or Major League?

Bad sports teams as a theme, make fantastic backdrops for movies.

Now, a documentary on the genius of the Pats organization led by BB is another story. A movie is a movie, but a documentary is something totally different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Draft Day" Due out April 11th stars Kevin Costner and Jennifer Garner... The story is that browns GM Sonny Weaver(Costner) Has traded for the number one pick in the draft, He Must quickly decide what he's willing to sacrifice in the pursuit of perfection as the lines between his personal and proffessional life become blurred on a life changing day for a few hundred young men with dreams of playing in the NFL.  

Doesnt it make a movie kind of anti-climactic when you know that in the end they will just screw it up and draft another no.1 overall bust like tim couch? I just dont understand what would draw an audiance to a movie that revolves around such a historically bad franchise like the browns. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure the choice of the Browns will make a difference.  It sounds like a pretty shiitty movie anyway. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure the choice of the Browns will make a difference.  It sounds like a pretty shiitty movie anyway. 

[/QUOTE]

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I really enjoyed Moneyball and the behind-the-scenes look at running a baseball team. I'm looking forward to Hollywood's take on constructing a football team. I'm HOPEFUL that with so many actual players, it will be enjoyable and fairly true to life. I also liked the football parts of Jerry McGuire. Too much drama with the gf and kid, but that's how to get the skirts into the theatre.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I really enjoyed Moneyball and the behind-the-scenes look at running a baseball team. I'm looking forward to Hollywood's take on constructing a football team. I'm HOPEFUL that with so many actual players, it will be enjoyable and fairly true to life. I also liked the football parts of Jerry McGuire. Too much drama with the gf and kid, but that's how to get the skirts into the theatre.

[/QUOTE]

MOneyball was really overrated.  I enjoyed Trouble With the Curve more, likely because I got to look at the lovely Amy Adams for 2 hours.

Or, maybe it's because BIlly Beane is incredibly overrated acting like he invented the concept?

Billy Beane hasn't won anything in over 15 years as GM with the As. Good GM, doesn't get much support from the owners there, but as far as setting a budget and making it work, I'd say the Red Sox have done a very good job developing players internally, drafting, etc, as much as Beane.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

It's just a fictional movie anyway, they were planning on using the Bills as their chosen franchise but it was cheaper to film in Ohio.

I think it will be a fun movie to watch - I read a fictional book similar to this on the Giants a few years ago.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I have no real interest in the flick, most sports movies suck with a few exceptions. But, isn't it about the Chiefs (not the Browns)? That's all they show in the ads, Arrowhead, etc.

EDIT: Never mind, just watched trailer, it's the Browns. Not sure what I was watching before...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

My simple rule of thumb for movies:   If the previews on TV don't entice you into the theater then the movie is not worth seeing.

This one fails the preview test.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Cinderella stories have been a staple of sports themed movies, forever.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

^lol

Read Pats Management Secrets Vol 1 and 2 yet, or just busy reading books written for the teenage level?

bawhah

Are there a lot of pictures in those books ya read, Cupcake? abwahah

[/QUOTE]

Why do you stay here when your so despised? Why do you stay here when no one respects you or your opinions? Anyone who gets banned so much should take the hint.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

The film stars Kevin Costner...his gills didn't work for him in Waterworld and he "died" right then and there...his career has been dead ever since...just like the Browns...perfect symmetry

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The film stars Kevin Costner...his gills didn't work for him in Waterworld and he "died" right then and there...his career has been dead ever since...just like the Browns...perfect symmetry

[/QUOTE]

just won an Emmy for the Hatfields-McCoys last year

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I heard Jerry Sienfeld wanted to make a TV show about a football team where nothing happened... but the Jets were afraid that it would give away trade secrets or something....