OTA's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

OTA's

I have been reading about Boyce at OTA's, and lament the fact that he wasn't utilized a bit more last year. The whispers were that he really did not understand the offense, so I do understand not throwing him to the wolves. He also did battle injury at the end of the season. But it would have been a real nice change of pace to see him on a simple bubble screen or end around. we saw glimpses last year, maybe one game, or even one half of a game, of what the potential could be. I can't recall any WR here in a long time that has his speed and elusiveness.

I am really hoping Josh McD finds a way to put the ball in his hands 5-7 times per game this year..

I know many here are down on the WR core, but lets face it, there are many, many options available to this offense depending on what the opposing defense is trying to do. This offense can put 4 wide on the field, and while they haven't yet jelled as a group, there is a ton of talent. If they can all get on the same page, TB can be amazing this year 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: OTA's

Interesting.  What have you heard about Boyce from your sources?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

nothing yet. I simply have read on BDC, the Herald and EEI that Boyce looks a lot more comfortable and confident.

I have been pretty up front this year and last, I thought Thompkins is at his ceiling, and while Dobson could be very good, the WR that I am most interested in seeing develop is Boyce.

by most accounts, OTA's are a pitch and catch with the QB and WR's...everyone looks good at OTA's.

Lets see what happens when the pads are on

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm wondering why nobody has started a thread about how good Garoppolo looked at OTA's?  I guess they don't want to be called a homer for pointing out something obvious.  

Rkarp keep out an ear out for info on him as well as the runningback situation?  Stephen Houston and White are intriguing as a power back and 3rd down back combo to me, with nearly our entire veteran RB corps up for contract soon we may see some turnover there. 

Loved the Boyce pick, he's such a complete and freakish athlete, on a team that emphasizes the slot receiver, a guy with his blazing speed could also burn you deep and on the outside. I hope he gets it together soon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I'm wondering why nobody has started a thread about how good Garoppolo looked at OTA's?  I guess they don't want to be called a homer for pointing out something obvious.  

Rkarp keep out an ear out for info on him as well as the runningback situation?  Stephen Houston and White are intriguing as a power back and 3rd down back combo to me, with nearly our entire veteran RB corps up for contract soon we may see some turnover there. 

Loved the Boyce pick, he's such a complete and freakish athlete, on a team that emphasizes the slot receiver, a guy with his blazing speed could also burn you deep and on the outside. I hope he gets it together soon.

Yates said Garopollo was just ok. He could see the talent, but numerous mistakes, and he is very green under center.

I had also previously commented last week regarding Finch...he is a freak. MAck Herron freakish

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I have been reading online about OTA's and there are mixed reviews on Garoppolo.

Here is one I just recently read....

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2014/06/12/thursday-ota-notes-with-no-ryan-mallett-jimmy-garoppolo-gets-lots-of-extra-work/

– There was an interesting exchange on one field, where offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was working in a one-on-one session with rookie quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, while Brady was throwing to Edelman and Danny Amendola. The trio of Brady, Amendola and Edelman then took many of those same routes they were working on in the throwing drill with Brady to 11-on-11s.

– Garoppolo was a mixed bag. He had a very good start, connecting on a few nice throws. (There was one impressive floater he delivered to rookie running back Roy Finch in a passing drill.) Without Mallett in attendance, he to a ton of reps in both drill work, as well as 7-on-7s and 11-on-11s.

– Again, there was some good work at the start, but he struggled at times down the stretch. Not sure how much of that was because he spent some time under center (where he rarely was as a collegian), but there were some missed throws. At the end of practice, the ball slipped out of his hands after attempting a pump fake in an 11-on-11 drill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Danny Kannel said a good thing, he said toughest thing coming out of College is the verbiage. Its like another language for these kids that come out of simplified Offenses. The plays are the same, but can you pick it up in the huddle in 10 seconds, or No huddle Offenses in the NFL. Defenses are adjusting too.
    Tough for a kid.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have been reading about Boyce at OTA's, and lament the fact that he wasn't utilized a bit more last year. The whispers were that he really did not understand the offense, so I do understand not throwing him to the wolves. He also did battle injury at the end of the season. But it would have been a real nice change of pace to see him on a simple bubble screen or end around. we saw glimpses last year, maybe one game, or even one half of a game, of what the potential could be. I can't recall any WR here in a long time that has his speed and elusiveness.

I am really hoping Josh McD finds a way to put the ball in his hands 5-7 times per game this year..

I know many here are down on the WR core, but lets face it, there are many, many options available to this offense depending on what the opposing defense is trying to do. This offense can put 4 wide on the field, and while they haven't yet jelled as a group, there is a ton of talent. If they can all get on the same page, TB can be amazing this year 

"corps"

Boyce is set to bust out.  He reminds me of percy harvin in skill set

We may have our kick returner problems solved as well.

no, I meant "core"

I am looking at JE, DA, Dobson and Boyce as the core WR's. Slater, Thompkins, Gallon are non core

Similar to the TE situation, I see Gronk and Hooman as "core"...I was intrigued with Williams, but I think he and the rest of the players on the current roster are a long shot

early, of course, but I really don't want to see Boyce on KR, nor do I want to see JE on punts. That's my intrigue on Finch this summer...he is really an interesting player I am going to be watching

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I'm afraid that unless "Pocket Hercules" Finch does some thing really outstanding he may not make the roster although it would be nice to have a special talent like that on the team. There is little room and lots of competition for the KR position right now just as BB wants it. Given BB's proclivity to have as many players as possible have position flexibility KR would seem to be one position where a WR, DB or RB would more rightly fit that design than a physical freak who only does one thing regardless of how well he may do it.

While I've read and heard sportscasters reporting good and not so good things about Garrappolo's performance so far in OTA's nothing seems out of the ordinary for what you'd expect from a rookie QB getting his first real exposure to the pro game. I wasn't expecting much of anything from him this season and did not think he'd be able to move the O if he got into a game this season.

I'm just really disappointed not to see YETI Armstead on the field at all to this point. I'm not expecting him to make this squad. 

It also appears that early returns on the monster sized TE Jones might only be that, a huge guy with associated talent limitations. Again, we won't know much until the pads are on, but I'm just not expecting much. The same cannot be said of Houston. I want to see him in pads to see if his power and performance promised by his Pro Day performance translates into on field and game condition output, which I think it might.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I saw Boyce in camp last year and the talent was very obvious for all to see. I thought he looked like a complete player, a guy capable in the slot and on the outside. He looked like he had the most speed on the field and had no trouble getting behind the defense - he also runs like Anquan Boldin when the ball is in his hands. Physical.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I saw Boyce in camp last year and the talent was very obvious for all to see. I thought he looked like a complete player, a guy capable in the slot and on the outside. He looked like he had the most speed on the field and had no trouble getting behind the defense - he also runs like Anquan Boldin when the ball is in his hands. Physical.

Really? That's interesting as I do not see that comp at all. I see a Victor Cruz comp

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

Harvin is an interesting comparison point although setting the bar high. Harvin is very physical and a real game changer. If Boyce can be close to Harvin he'll be an impact player.

What I like is it sounds like Boyce is talking about concepts, just based on Reiss' short report.  That's important because then he's starting to understand things beyond just beating someone athletically and if he can understand things on a conceptual level, fairly quickly, then he's bright. 

The talent is there. If he gets the mental part then he could be an exciting player.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment

At the end of practice, the ball slipped out of his hands after attempting a pump fake in an 11-on-11 drill.

This is what concerns me most about Jimmy G. He has very small hands (I believe the smallest in his draft class) he is not going to make it in NE.  Once the weather goes cold, the ball hardens and add any precipitation to it and he is gonna fumble a LOT.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to theshinez's comment:

This is what concerns me most about Jimmy G. He has very small hands (I believe the smallest in his draft class) he is not going to make it in NE.  Once the weather goes cold, the ball hardens and add any precipitation to it and he is gonna fumble a LOT.  

Granted, he'll have a very few unforced fumbles.  What really counts is how much he's hit.  The kid has a lightning fast release and he has explosion too, so if he's not hit a lot while holding the ball then he won't fumble much.  Train the kid to throw the ball away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Really? That's interesting as I do not see that comp at all. I see a Victor Cruz comp

Yeah I thought he ran like a load with the ball in his hands, he's got a pretty thick build for a receiver too, check out his college stuff you might see what I'm talking about there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I like Gallon's talent (speed, elusiveness, hands) but a 5,7" receiver will not scare many DB's in this league and the competition at slot is very tight. Still, he is a Woodhead type guy who is resourceful and seems to find a way. I would like to see him get a shot returning punts and find a role on the team.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Yates said Garopollo was just ok. He could see the talent, but numerous mistakes, and he is very green under center.

I had also previously commented last week regarding Finch...he is a freak. MAck Herron freakish

A mini Mack Heron reference!! Wow that's going back a ways! Rkarp that made my day bringing me back in time, thanks!  P.S. If this guy could be 1/2 of MMH was we would be a lot better off!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Good to hear Reiss report today both Vince and Kelly are taking part in 11-11 drills.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Good to hear Reiss report today both Vince and Kelly are taking part in 11-11 drills.

Best news out of all the informal and formal OTA's.

But I must say I care little for YETI Armstead's burdens about going through more than most....I only care if he's able to play and contribute...hard hearted, true, but if he's done, let's find out sooner than later, then give the well deserved (I'm sure) testimonials to his journey.

Sections
Shortcuts