Our chances to make the Super Bowl as #2 seed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Re: Our chances to make the Super Bowl as #2 seed

I like this year's team... they seem to get up for the big game. We lost to Balt and Seattle at their stadiums by 1, then we make a valiant comeback against San Fran but fall short and we beat Denver and Houston. I think that they have the ability to focus on the big games and create mismatches. D is improved and I think they can take away Decker in Denver and make Denver more one dimensional and less effective.

One thing this board seems to forget is that this is a young Pats team. We have had a ton of injuries and we had to get a secondary during the season.

If O executes, we go to SB. D needs to step up and stop the other team around 35% of the time and we win.

It will be interesting to see if the Texans can win next week. I would love to see Indy at Denver and Indy winning and then coming to Foxboro.

Let the second season start.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think our chances to advance to the Superbowl are pretty good. If we can play our A game and keep Brady clean. We're as good or better than any of the teams in the AFC and if we can win two games. Once there it's down to two with the team that plays the best on that day typically raising the shiny football... 

Getting the bye certainly helps, with a week to get healthy and prepare for the winner of the Ravens - Colts game. Which will allow the Pat's coaches to breakdown film and prepare a game plans for both during the bye week. Then once they learn who we'll play, focus specifically the following week on the team that prevails and has to travel to Foxborough. Since we've played every team accept the Bengals this season. Belicheck and his staff already have a pretty good idea of what both teams do well and what they don't.

Since the road to the Superbowl goes through Denver, first things first is we have to win on January 13th. Our likely opponant will be the Ravens who should be favored? Then root for the winner of the Bengals v Texans to go to Denver and pull off the upset. Which then enhances our chances because we'd then get home field for the AFC Championship Game...If we have to travel to Devner, it'll make the road that much tougher. If you look at the quality of the Broncos opponants this year they've lost to most of the current playoff teams while fattening up on a weak division. That's not to suggest that it would be a cake walk. However there run to the top has been a bit of smoke and mirrors...

[/QUOTE]

Actually our likely opponent is Houston (60%), Ravens (40%) or Indy (25%)... IF Cincy beats Houston they go to Denver. If Houston wins they come here. Would rather see Ravens/Indy at Denver rather than Cincy. I think we can handle Houston and beat them. I don't think Cincy can hang with Denver. If Ravens or Indy beat Denver then they come to Foxboro for AFCG.... 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Pats only got to SB once without a bye, in 1986. Figure with bye you win your home game and your in conference championship.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsdateam. Show Patsdateam's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Denver can run the Ball, this flies under the rug all the time. Thats what really makes them tough. We've had Good Luck aganst a Del Rio's Defense, had huge Offensive Numbers against his scheme's.

They ran for 172 yards yesterday.

[/QUOTE]

Pat's D can stop the run. It's the pass defense that needs to step up if they are going to beat Denver.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Out of the last 40 teams to make the Super Bowl, the numbers break down as follows:

#1 Seed  18 teams  45%

#2 Seed  11 teams  27.5%

#3 Seed  2 teams  5%

#4 Seed  6 teams  15%

#5 Seed  1 team  2.5%

#6 Seed  2 teams  5%

Bye week teams have made it to the Super Bowl 72.5% of the time.  The bye week, followed by the home game, seems to make a big difference.  Home field advantage throughout the playoffs, plus the #1 team playing the lower seeded team, also seems to help.  Of course, the #1 seed often as not is the strongest team in the conference, and that helps too.

I have no particular speculation as to why the #3 seed has done so badly.  Perhaps their hopes were crushed when they didn't get the bye week.  Being a wild card team is often a losing proposition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's huge. Regardless of who we would have played in the wild card game, playing two games as opposed to three is a pretty big difference (especially when you consider what's been going on with Talib, Gronk and Dennard)

With the 3 seed, traveling form Foxborough to Denver, Denver back to Foxborough, then Foxborough to Houston would have been a lot (Tho, it's beginning to look like HOU wouldve been 1 and done anyways)

My biggest concern was playing Denver in the divisional round after Peyton and the Broncos would have gotten an extra week to prepare. For once, Peyton did not have a coach who was stupid and benched the starters when they secured the bye (which usually gave the starters 2 weeks off and led to them being rusty)

[/QUOTE]

exactly! much rather play in denver for the afc championship than the divisional round too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Pats-bilbo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think our chances to advance to the Superbowl are pretty good. If we can play our A game and keep Brady clean. We're as good or better than any of the teams in the AFC and if we can win two games. Once there it's down to two with the team that plays the best on that day typically raising the shiny football... 

Getting the bye certainly helps, with a week to get healthy and prepare for the winner of the Ravens - Colts game. Which will allow the Pat's coaches to breakdown film and prepare a game plans for both during the bye week. Then once they learn who we'll play, focus specifically the following week on the team that prevails and has to travel to Foxborough. Since we've played every team accept the Bengals this season. Belicheck and his staff already have a pretty good idea of what both teams do well and what they don't.

Since the road to the Superbowl goes through Denver, first things first is we have to win on January 13th. Our likely opponant will be the Ravens who should be favored? Then root for the winner of the Bengals v Texans to go to Denver and pull off the upset. Which then enhances our chances because we'd then get home field for the AFC Championship Game...If we have to travel to Devner, it'll make the road that much tougher. If you look at the quality of the Broncos opponants this year they've lost to most of the current playoff teams while fattening up on a weak division. That's not to suggest that it would be a cake walk. However there run to the top has been a bit of smoke and mirrors...

[/QUOTE]

Actually our likely opponent is Houston (60%), Ravens (40%) or Indy (25%)... IF Cincy beats Houston they go to Denver. If Houston wins they come here. Would rather see Ravens/Indy at Denver rather than Cincy. I think we can handle Houston and beat them. I don't think Cincy can hang with Denver. If Ravens or Indy beat Denver then they come to Foxboro for AFCG.... 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarification. I was led to believe we played the winner of the Ravens v Colts watching the NFL network. Basically, our next opponent will be the team with the best record of the two that prevail on wildcard weekend (higher seed). Makes sense...

As for your hypothetical matchup of Cincy v Denver. I give the Bengals a fighting chance in Denver, they've got a pretty stout front seven and can get after the QB. The two teams played in November with Denver winning in Cincy. So both coaching staffs have a pretty good idea what each like to do. Like Denver, Cincy ended the season on a good run. I think they have a real shot at going into Houston and beat a Texans team that hasn't played good football in over a month. As much as I'd like to pick against the Ravens, another team that didn't exactly finish the season on a run. Just can't see the Colt's going back to Baltimore and beating the new home team...That's a game, I'd love to be in the stands watching...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFutureNow. Show TheFutureNow's posts

Stop fantasizing about beating the broncos , much less a victory in the SB.

The only game to think about is the next game.Period.

Sam

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to TheFutureNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sam

[/QUOTE]

Let me get this right...on a football forum, your opposed to the fans of the team. Discussing possible best case senerios that might lead to another trip to the Super Bowl? Hmmmm....

Funny, but every major network employs a staff of ex jocks and journalist who do nothing other than pontificate and predict the outcomes of each game to arrive at an eventual winner. However we the fans should only focus on the game at hand...What fun is that? Respectfully Sam, you can feel free and take your advice and hunker down and not allow yourself to be distracted...Me I'll just have fun up to game time and enjoy debating and discussing all of the what if's and what could be in the interest of fun....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Stats, logic, analysis and all that stuff put aside heres my answer below. 

Simple answer for me. Manning by himself scares the he-- out of me. He seems to rally his teams at will no matter who his recievers are. I look for the Pats ~ Denver game to be a shoot out if they both make it that far. 

Hetch

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TheFutureNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sam

[/QUOTE]

I do not like that Sam I am.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Fwiw, Denver leads SB odds at 5-2

NE is at 3-1

Sections
Shortcuts