Our Defense is Close

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Our Defense is Close

In response to ATJ's comment:

Couple of points:

Kudos to Seattle D - best I've seen in recent years.  Yep, I'll say it - elite.

Kudos to Pete Carroll for the coaching job - just superb.

Kudos to John Schneider - excellent team building - truly excellent.

Let's see how they do over the next several years.  I like their chances.

I would remind everyone in this forum how the Pats did in their first 5 games.  The O couldn't score on the little sisters of the poor and the D held opponents to avg of 14 points per game.  Then they got hit by injuries.

Is the Pats D close to becoming Seattle's?  I don't really think so but the D is close to becoming quite a good NE D.  They are young - very young and the potential is there.

I love how some in this forum love to chase the shiny baubles. 

I think the difference is more NFC versus AFC. San Fran would have thrown Denver all over the field last night as well, perhaps even Carolina.

The NFC is the big dog right now and any AFC team looking at next years SB will need to come up with a team that can cope with the strong D mind set that the NFC brings to the table.

What happened to Denver last night is exactly what happened to the Pats in the 08 SB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Couple of points:

I would remind everyone in this forum how the Pats did in their first 5 games.  The O couldn't score on the little sisters of the poor and the D held opponents to avg of 14 points per game.  Then they got hit by injuries.

Is the Pats D close to becoming Seattle's?  I don't really think so but the D is close to becoming quite a good NE D.  They are young - very young and the potential is there.

I think the difference is more NFC versus AFC. San Fran would have thrown Denver all over the field last night as well, perhaps even Carolina.

The NFC is the big dog right now and any AFC team looking at next years SB will need to come up with a team that can cope with the strong D mind set that the NFC brings to the table.

What happened to Denver last night is exactly what happened to the Pats in the 08 SB.

NFC point is a good one.  But, truly, the Pats were in the 08 SB til the end; Denver was never in that game last night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

get Mayo, VW, Kelly healthy.

sign a real strong safety. someone good. (whitner, pollard)

get Talib back.

get some damn DE/DT depth through FA  and draft

and i think we could be great like Seattle.

glimpses were shown the first few weeks until the injuries came on.

need one or two more playmakers and health

Your post is a pipe dream, like so many of Wozzy's homer posts. Last year before Wilfork got injured, he showed significant signs of slowing down and not being the force he had been for so many years. After a major injury and being another year older, you are expecting a major contribution from him ? As T-CAL has stated repeatedly, Mayo is highly over-rated, makes all of his tackles 3-4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and couldn't cover his grandmother in pass coverage. And even if they re-sign Talib, he has real trouble staying on the field. And finally, when has BB ever fielded a PATS D that even remotely resembled the Seahawks D ? Answer : NEVER. Even when the PATS were winning superbowls, the PATS D gave up lots of points. It's just that on those teams there were some key playmakers (ie. McGinnest, Law, Harrison).  Currently, the PATS have no proven playmakers on the D. When Eric Frentz writes an article positing the priority is re-signing Edleman, that says a whole lot about Belichick's ineptitude as GM. C'MON MAN.    

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Our defense puts virtually no pressure on QBs - how the heck is that "close?"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Regardless of WHOMEVER plays for our D, the bend but don't break mentality means we will NEVER see anything close to what we saw on the field last night!!! We draft small corners who play good in space not aggressive bump and run physical corners. We draft gap assignment D lineman who can't pressure the QB up the middle forcing them to move their feet. We play soft zones rarely blitzing HOPING the other team makes a mistake. We are read and react when the teams making noise are attack and attack.Health returns and we have some real nice pieces off the edge with Collins, Jones. I like Logan Ryan as a possible long term solution at corner but even if we sign the best free agent pass rushers, cover corners etc, none of it will matter until we shake up our Defensive play calling .

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Close to being good. OK. 

Close to being Seattle?

Get some meds.

New England is four or five players away: a couple of them being impact starters, and a few being high quality replacements so their DEs aren't out on the field for 99% of the snaps.

Seattle basically did nothing on offense for an entire half and left the field with a 22-0 lead. 16 points scored by the defense against the highest scoring offense in NFL history. 

New England isn't close to that. 

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Sorry, but I just don't see it.  The Pats D stinks.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

'Our Defense is Close'

Ah, I love the sarcasm...  Tongue Out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Actually this is correct. Pats D is close.

Now that Seattle is farher down the waiver priority watch BB pick up some players Pete Carrroll would want.

I think with Collins and Jones the pats are going in the right direction..quick and atheltic players.

A few more and the Patriots D wil be elite..

Be careful though of expensive vets, good to have a few leaders but not too many. Fill up the D with youth and speed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Our defense is nothing like the defense we saw today.  Healthy, the Pats defense is currently a good defense.  But the Seahawks' defense is truly elite.

I absolutely agree. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rezneffix. Show rezneffix's posts

In response to Footballexpert45's comment:

Sorry, but I just don't see it.  The Pats D stinks.

Lol right to the point. I dont see it either. Even with everyone healthy our defense is an okay to semi-good defense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

Close to being good. OK. 

Close to being Seattle?

Get some meds.

New England is four or five players away: a couple of them being impact starters, and a few being high quality replacements so their DEs aren't out on the field for 99% of the snaps.

Seattle basically did nothing on offense for an entire half and left the field with a 22-0 lead. 16 points scored by the defense against the highest scoring offense in NFL history. 

yeah get some meds... for the defense- because that's what seattle does

Zing! But you are probably correct. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

Even when the PATS were winning superbowls, the PATS D gave up lots of points.

This might be the stupidest thing I have ever read.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Close to being good. OK. 

Close to being Seattle?

Get some meds.

Not only that but the Seahawks Offense settled for 2 fg's in the first qtr when they should have had 2 td's.  This game could have been 51-8!

Could you imagine the howling and teeth gnashing if New England's offense only scored two FGs on their own in the first half of a Superbowl?

Seattle doesn't need to imagine that, because they have a defense that scores TDs. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Couple of points:

NFC point is a good one.  But, truly, the Pats were in the 08 SB til the end; Denver was never in that game last night.

When you think about it 'never in the game' usually isn't a very accurate statement. But when you hike the ball into the end zone for a safety on your first play...

yup never in it

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Could you imagine the howling and teeth gnashing if New England's offense only scored two FGs on their own in the first half of a Superbowl?

People keeping saying this.  You aren't the only one so I'm not trying to call you out specifically, but I am confused.  The Seahawks offense scored 13 points in the first half. Idk what game everyone who keeps stating this was watching, but it doesn't seem like the game that was played last  night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

So obviously I was nuts last night comparing our D to SEa. 

I do think our defense is close to being good though. There are 4-5oves needed and we could be there. 

get a legit strong safety. 

Get a shutdown CB (Talib?)

get a DT and depth at DE

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Patrick Willis

Aldon Smith

Von Miller

Demarcus Ware

Clay Matthew

Tamba Hali

those are all OLB pass rushers.

I'm talking inside LBs

we had an abysmal run d this past season, but with the pro-passing/pro scoring league - isn't it the pass defense and pass rush the two things that are actually needed?

That will happen when you lose your 2 best DTs and your best run stopping LB. Nobody in the defensive line or the linebackers played the season in the position they were supposed to play in

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Couple of points:

It's not about shiny baubles. New England's defense isn't terrible when fully staffed. 

But really, that early stretch was against all defensive ballclubs. 

Buffalo, Tampa, New Jersey, Cincinatti, and Atlanta? 

That is four bottom ten offenses and one middle of the pack offense - to whom they lost. If they gave up more points than they had, it would not have been good. 

In reality, New England's defense is what it was at the end of the season. Lower end of the top 15. Middle of the pack. 

~21.5 ppg is light years away from a defense that just held the best offense in history to eight points and scored a cool 22 on the way there, nabbing 4 turnovers in good weather. 

So, no, it's not about baubles, but quality players. Perhaps another impact player, a couple high quality rotational players so your best guys are not playing 100% of the snaps, and some better depth. New England doesn't need an historically dominant defense like Seattle. They have a QB that does raise the level a bit. But New England does need a few of players to feild a true championship caliber defense that doesn't fall apart like a house of cards when one player is injured, and doesn't grind its starters to dust by the end of season by running them out there all the time. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

So obviously I was nuts last night comparing our D to SEa. 

I do think our defense is close to being good though. There are 4-5oves needed and we could be there. 

get a legit strong safety. 

Get a shutdown CB (Talib?)

get a DT and depth at DE

Reverse most of that. Start with DTs and a solid rotational DE (as good as Ninkovich). 

Then worry about adding more depth at CB. 

Address SS last.

I'd worry about augmenting the interior of BOTH lines this offseason. It's where New England has been weakest, and they are positions that make the most impact. 

And no ... not with injury prone has beens like Tommy Kelly. 

Draft picks, a premium player, and some savvy rotational guys. 

Let the offense sort itself out on a tighter budget this offseason and commit to improving the defense for once. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

To be a dominanting D the Pats need:

1. A stud DT to add to those coming back from injury

2. A stud DE for either a 4-3 or 3-4 depending on the type of D BB wants. Nink can rotate at DE and OLB and he and Jones can stay fresh as well as having a stud at the end

3. A rock solid SS

This assuming we resign Talib and both Dennard and Ryan are sound players.

You add those three and resign Talib and you have something special. 3 real good players is not a small step. One perhaps. Not three.

But even adding one, and assuming some reasonable health --- whoever4 wins it all is usually amongst the healthiest at the time of the SB --- could be enough to win the SB IF the offense improves the interior of the O line and the quality behind and with Gronk at TE. AND assuming at least one of the rookie WRs is truly good enough to be a solid starting WRs (which I think is the case... so upgrading 2 positions and having reasonable health would probably do it for the O)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Top 5 in what?  tackle assists.

name 5 better MLBs

you need to get out more dude. There are 31 other teams out there. Just cuz homers rank him highly and he makes pro bowls dont mean aint none better. He is average if you look at his playoff stats. Spikes was the playmaker getting key FFs and INTs for a slow LB....We just let him walk so back to drawing board. Atleast we have Collins locked up for 3 years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

We have backers that can tackle but cant cover in a passing league and that means to homers we have the best linebackers in the league??  Luckilly you are including Collins.

Collins has the most potential. Ive seen him rush, cover and hit.

HIghtower is an enigma. he showed flashes when everyone was healthy and def. got better down the stretch

Mayo always makes a lot of tackles. Brains of our D and very important BUT, he hasnt made ONE play in any big, playoff games.

ALL this means our linebackers are FAR from being the best in the league.

I wouldnt even say Seattle has the best BUT they are very good. Wagner inside is faster than our safety Steve Gregory. Bruce Irving is a Freak. Can do it all. KJ wright is another tackling machine that CAN COVER....he was stride for stride with Julius Thomas and forced Peyton to throw high. You never see their backers trailing the plays. They keep it in front and knock you out. I like 49ers backers better though. Ahmad Brooks, Aldon Smith, Willis and bowman....lol  not even close...

Guys gotta watch more football. I love my team but we got a ways to go.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Top 5 in what?  tackle assists.

name 5 better MLBs

you need to get out more dude. There are 31 other teams out there. Just cuz homers rank him highly and he makes pro bowls dont mean aint none better. He is average if you look at his playoff stats. Spikes was the playmaker getting key FFs and INTs for a slow LB....We just let him walk so back to drawing board. Atleast we have Collins locked up for 3 years.

Stats? You want stats play fantasy football. By all accounts Mayo has a VERY solid rep around the league and with BB as being a big part of what he wants to put on the field. I wont try to prioritize who is best and 2nd and 3rd etc... But if you think Mayo is esentially average then you are notpaying attention to the plays on the field. Stats are not the final arbitor.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

Everyone forgets that the Pats were top 5 in yards allowed, top 10 in passing yards, Top 5 rushing yards and top 5 in scoring before we lost Wilfork, Kelly, Mayo AND Talib for a stretch.

All of them together and healthy a full season, replacing the weak links (Gregory, Arrington) and I think the Pats will be just alright.  

NO, I think YOU forgot that the 1st 4 games on our Schedule were

Bills, Jets, Bucs, and Falcons.

Were there any team that was worse than Bucs and Falcons last year??  and then we have the Bills and Jets....NONE of those teams sniffed the playoffs. This is the Illusion BB banks on every year. Keeps the stadium filled and Krafts eye candy on his arm.

'

When playoffs come around...where are guys Like NINK?, C.Jones?, Mayo? McCourty?

All the guys you homers HYPE up Are NOT playoff performers. never have been, maybe will one day. This is BEFORE 2013 when they were healthy too. Sorry cannott agree

Sections
Shortcuts