Our Defense is Close

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Our Defense is Close

In response to HelmetofLeather's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Regardless of WHOMEVER plays for our D, the bend but don't break mentality means we will NEVER see anything close to what we saw on the field last night!!! We draft small corners who play good in space not aggressive bump and run physical corners. We draft gap assignment D lineman who can't pressure the QB up the middle forcing them to move their feet. We play soft zones rarely blitzing HOPING the other team makes a mistake. We are read and react when the teams making noise are attack and attack.Health returns and we have some real nice pieces off the edge with Collins, Jones. I like Logan Ryan as a possible long term solution at corner but even if we sign the best free agent pass rushers, cover corners etc, none of it will matter until we shake up our Defensive play calling .

[/QUOTE]

Realist, thx for commenting

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Top 5 in what?  tackle assists.

[/QUOTE]

name 5 better MLBs

[/QUOTE]

you need to get out more dude. There are 31 other teams out there. Just cuz homers rank him highly and he makes pro bowls dont mean aint none better. He is average if you look at his playoff stats. Spikes was the playmaker getting key FFs and INTs for a slow LB....We just let him walk so back to drawing board. Atleast we have Collins locked up for 3 years.

[/QUOTE]

Stats? You want stats play fantasy football. By all accounts Mayo has a VERY solid rep around the league and with BB as being a big part of what he wants to put on the field. I wont try to prioritize who is best and 2nd and 3rd etc... But if you think Mayo is esentially average then you are notpaying attention to the plays on the field. Stats are not the final arbitor.

[/QUOTE]

I said he was average in the playoffs. Cmon man. read my posts. I dont put BS out here. Tell me the plays he has made in big games/playoffs. VS ravens 2 years ago all he did was get run over on the goal line by Rice. NInk is overated here too. Sure he makes plays vs the Jets but WHERE was he vs Denver.....DUDE was INVISIBLE....these so called studs never make a play when we need to, thats why our D never gets off the field. If you are a part of a defense that does not get ONE 3 and out in the SB...playig in the middle of the D....you are average my friend. I dont care about his repuations. I want winners.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Close to being as good, NO. Close to be more than good enough, YES.

To begin with, BB and PC have very different perspectives on how to construt their Ds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

To begin with, BB and PC have very different perspectives on how to construt their Ds.

[/QUOTE]

Very true.  Not only that but BB will not follow a "blue print".  He'll create his own.  While others zig to the left to copy Seattle, he'll zag in a different direction. He's also got Brady as a QB, not Wilson. 

BB is not bulding his defense on Tebucky Sherman. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

exactly. Carrol has a plan. The same one he had here years ago. He targeted some big CBs who noone drafted because they were too big while BB cant make up his mind. For years he drafted smurfs at CB due to them having great feet and hips and then he decided having that close minded philioshy was no good and went and got C.Scott, D.O'Neal, S.Springs...ALL over 6 ft but ALL over 30 too and they S*cked.

I dont why folks keep giving BB a pass. What he has done is use his reputation and 3 SB rings here to do as HE pleases and feed his narcasisst ego that sais he can win with anyone cuz he has before. It allows him to use our draft pics like groupons. BB thinking to himself  "Hey why dont I just draft Tavon Wilson...I mean who is gonna miss this 2nd rounder. Noone is gonna notice that Bequette isnt playing right?  Once I extend Nink, I will look like a genuis for finding another Vrable. Maybe I should draft Ras I with our almost 1st rd pick. I mean he hasnt stayed healthy but once here Im sure I could have our trainer fix that.  Oh I have the best QB in the legue...I dont need to give him real weapons. He makes players better. Playoffs are just reg. season games in the cold so Collie will do just fine w/Brady...Who needs a Dez Bryant anyway..."

These are the things he does that he does ONLY cuz he can. HE WOULD NEVER make those decisions as a new coach or a guy without titles. He does this because Kraft had a blind allegiance to him. I bet those blinders will be coming off soon.

BB watched Peyton beat him(06) and traded our Defensive philosophy for Offense and 8 years later after watching ANOTHER team with the highest scoring offense FAIL, im sure even HE has realized the error in his ways. Stop being Homers guys. The Theory has been PROVEN wrong over and over.  Our Gm?Coach sqaundered years of opptys for his won ego while you guys sat around the fire singing "IN bill we trust" Blinding by the regular season wins and occasional SB appearance due to bye weeks from dominating inferior reg. season oppenents. The rest is history.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

New England Patriots vs. Seattle Seahawks (San Fran) = SB 2014??

We need a DT, a downfield WR, SS/CB  - and for Brady to have a bounce back year with good receivers (Brady won his SB's when the team didn't have to depend on the offense and his arm)!!!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So obviously I was nuts last night comparing our D to SEa. 

I do think our defense is close to being good though. There are 4-5oves needed and we could be there. 

get a legit strong safety. 

Get a shutdown CB (Talib?)

get a DT and depth at DE

[/QUOTE]

Reverse most of that. Start with DTs and a solid rotational DE (as good as Ninkovich). 

Then worry about adding more depth at CB. 

Address SS last.

I'd worry about augmenting the interior of BOTH lines this offseason. It's where New England has been weakest, and they are positions that make the most impact. 

And no ... not with injury prone has beens like Tommy Kelly. 

Draft picks, a premium player, and some savvy rotational guys. 

Let the offense sort itself out on a tighter budget this offseason and commit to improving the defense for once. 

[/QUOTE]

well yes i wasnt necesarily putting them in order. anyway, i agree that bulding inside to out will be the best

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Mayo 2009 and 2010 playoffs sucked sure... but who didnt suck those games....

(TT- total tackles, S- solo, AST- assist, SF- stuffs)

2011 playoffs:

Divsionals: 9 TT 3 S 6 AST 1 SF

AFCCG- 8TT 3 S 5 AST

SB46- 11TT 8 S 3 AST and Forced fumble

3 Games 28 TT

2012 playoffs:

Div- 7 TT 5 S 2 AST 2 SF

AFCCG- 8TT 5 S 3 AST 1 SF 1 Forced Fumble

Total 2 Games- 15TT

not too shabby imo..

and just for comparison to the best in the league PAtrick Willis

2011: 2 Games 16 TT 1.0 Sack

2012: 3 Games 29 TT 22 Solo 1 Stuff

2013: 3 Games 26 TT 16 Solo no sacks, stuffs, forced fumbles

pretty damn close

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Mayo 2009 and 2010 playoffs sucked sure... but who didnt suck those games....

(TT- total tackles, S- solo, AST- assist, SF- stuffs)

2011 playoffs:

Divsionals: 9 TT 3 S 6 AST 1 SF

AFCCG- 8TT 3 S 5 AST

SB46- 11TT 8 S 3 AST and Forced fumble

3 Games 28 TT

2012 playoffs:

Div- 7 TT 5 S 2 AST 2 SF

AFCCG- 8TT 5 S 3 AST 1 SF 1 Forced Fumble

Total 2 Games- 15TT

not too shabby imo..

and just for comparison to the best in the league PAtrick Willis

2011: 2 Games 16 TT 1.0 Sack

2012: 3 Games 29 TT 22 Solo 1 Stuff

2013: 3 Games 26 TT 16 Solo no sacks, stuffs, forced fumbles

pretty damn close

see I dont see why you can just say Mayo s*cked because the team did...if thats the case what are we here praising BB for??  for 2 years he fielded a defensive team that S*cked??? Thanks for proving my point man. Wait till Rusty heres this. By your logic Brady and BB have been coasting through the regular season, feasting on the AFC east and then come playoff time, the rubber meets the wood and we shouldnt expect any plays on D??   Wow....and you think we are close....??

I admitted to Mayo playing better in 2012  in terms of  making plays but he doesnt do enough IMO in postseason. Just another guy on a bad defense,,,,,like YOU said...

I cant look at Willis' stats and make anything from them....thats because they have a Great D. SOMEONE is making a play. I dont WANT or NEED Mayo to make plays but being the highest paid....he should do something to get off the field.  San Fran is loaded so they have Plenty of playmakers,. Stats dont tell stories...sorry,. Our D cannot get off the Field. In a SB! we had TWO WEEKS to PREPARE and didnt have ONE 3 and Out!   Mayo was healthy and ON that D. I can tell you WIllis or Bowman Would NEVER be part of a D that couldnt get off the field..ONCE. Too much competitive fire and passion on that D....ours...not so much. How can they when BB has them play passive,...??   If anything he makes it worse by hyping up the other team so much and then handicapping them on gameday making them sit back and get burnt all day. Twice a year against scrub QBs, he lets them loose...lol and smh

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

see I dont see why you can just say Mayo s*cked because the team did...if thats the case what are we here praising BB for??  for 2 years he fielded a defensive team that S*cked??? Thanks for proving my point man. Wait till Rusty heres this. By your logic Brady and BB have been coasting through the regular season, feasting on the AFC east and then come playoff time, the rubber meets the wood and we shouldnt expect any plays on D??   Wow....and you think we are close....??

I admitted to Mayo playing better in 2012  in terms of  making plays but he doesnt do enough IMO in postseason. Just another guy on a bad defense,,,,,like YOU said...

I cant look at Willis' stats and make anything from them....thats because they have a Great D. SOMEONE is making a play. I dont WANT or NEED Mayo to make plays but being the highest paid....he should do something to get off the field.  San Fran is loaded so they have Plenty of playmakers,. Stats dont tell stories...sorry,. Our D cannot get off the Field. In a SB! we had TWO WEEKS to PREPARE and didnt have ONE 3 and Out!   Mayo was healthy and ON that D. I can tell you WIllis or Bowman Would NEVER be part of a D that couldnt get off the field..ONCE. Too much competitive fire and passion on that D....ours...not so much. How can they when BB has them play passive,...??   If anything he makes it worse by hyping up the other team so much and then handicapping them on gameday making them sit back and get burnt all day. Twice a year against scrub QBs, he lets them loose...lol and smh

[/QUOTE]

dude the defense sucked in 2009-2011 when did i ever say it didnt? they were baaaad. absolutely no secondary or pass rush.

first off you were the one saying mayo's stats were bad so i proved you kinda wrong showing how he compares with Willis so now they dont tell the story, OK OG.... whatever fits your cause there

look i think around the league mayo is underrated and he is.

the defense has a ton of work to do to get good but the pieces of MAyo, Collins, Hightower, Dennard, Ryan, DMC and Jones are all solid guys and if 4-5 more very good pieces come in we could get a good D

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

The Patriots defense is NOT CLOSE! Give me a break! Year after year of wasted crappy draft picks. This defense was never rebuilt and the Patriots (unwisely) chose to put all of the emphasis on the offense. Yes, they should have won in 2007 and easily could have won in 2011 but what it really proves is that time after time DEFENSE WINS CHAPIONSHIPS. The AFC is in shambles right now. Personlly I do not think the Pats will overtake Denver next year but even if they do what would the point spread be on a 49ers-Pats or Seahawks-Pats Superbowl??!! Pete Caroll has built a MONSTER...and he did it in four years!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatcatvirginbuttbuster45. Show phatcatvirginbuttbuster45's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Patrick Willis

Aldon Smith

Von Miller

Demarcus Ware

Clay Matthew

Tamba Hali

[/QUOTE]

those are all OLB pass rushers.

I'm talking inside LBs

[/QUOTE]

we had an abysmal run d this past season, but with the pro-passing/pro scoring league - isn't it the pass defense and pass rush the two things that are actually needed?

[/QUOTE]

Dear BUST-CHISE:

I need you to come home...your kittens we made together want to see their daddy...you spend enough time making up all those names you call yourself when you are online, like Phat Virgin and BungaloBill and Footballexpert45, or the new ones you created to hide your identity like Bustify, MileHighMike and ManningRules.

Your kittens keep asking me about why you go out at night, alone, after putting on that cat suit and carry that can of chloroform and that old, torn up Mark Sanchez NY Jets T-shirt. What am I suppossed to tell them? That you want to make more kittens with another cat mommy? That's the truth isn't it?!

You promised to bring home cans of tuna fish for the kittens, and a bag of kitty litter as well....we're tired of living under the front porch..do something for your kittens BUST-CHISE before I tell the NY Jets front office, you NY Jets Troll!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

dude the defense sucked in 2009-2011 when did i ever say it didnt? they were baaaad. absolutely no secondary or pass rush.

first off you were the one saying mayo's stats were bad so i proved you kinda wrong showing how he compares with Willis so now they dont tell the story, OK OG.... whatever fits your cause there

look i think around the league mayo is underrated and he is.

the defense has a ton of work to do to get good but the pieces of MAyo, Collins, Hightower, Dennard, Ryan, DMC and Jones are all solid guys and if 4-5 more very good pieces come in we could get a good D

[/QUOTE]

no you read my wrong. I never said mayo stats were bad. IN fact all he has is stats. I SAID he doesnt show up  in playoffs. YOu countered with the whole team was bad. I am saying this for anyone...stats dont tell the whole story. Im sorry if I didnt communicate it well to you. What I mean by WIllis' stats dont mean anything is because Ultimately I NEVER scapegoated Mayo. I want our D to be good. Whoever is making the plays is good for me. I am pointing out that mayo has good stats but doesnt change games when they count. Willis, playing on a GREAT D is no comparison as big plays come from that D all the time from different players. One minute its A.Smith than A.Brooks,etc.   The slite about BBs S*cking for 2 years was really for Rusty.

In our debate, all I am saying is our D cant get off the field in big games. Mayo is the leader and highest paid player on the D outside of Fork so I expect more , yes. Not to say he needs to carry the team but just dont tell me he is great when he cant make a differnce on the field. He is just another guy come playoff time. Got it. Go look and see how many 3 and outs San Fran when they played Bmore. Sure they lost but it wasnt because they couldnt off the field like ours...Only thing that has changed since 2010 is Tommy Kelly, Dennard and Talib. None of them were on the field two weeks ago though...oh wait, dennard WAS on the field....just didnt make a play. Im glad everyone loves our D. I dont.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jam757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Patriots defense is NOT CLOSE! Give me a break! Year after year of wasted crappy draft picks. This defense was never rebuilt and the Patriots (unwisely) chose to put all of the emphasis on the offense. Yes, they should have won in 2007 and easily could have won in 2011 but what it really proves is that time after time DEFENSE WINS CHAPIONSHIPS. The AFC is in shambles right now. Personlly I do not think the Pats will overtake Denver next year but even if they do what would the point spread be on a 49ers-Pats or Seahawks-Pats Superbowl??!! Pete Caroll has built a MONSTER...and he did it in four years!

[/QUOTE]

Umm, the Pats D was arguably the best D in the AFC before all the injuries.

Pats are VERY close, especially after recent drafts. They need a Safety that can go with mCourty and then some DL help down the middle or even on the edge.

Go look at Denver's free agents as their crappy D gets WORSE, and all who is leaving that team.

Denver might not be able to hold onto the division next year vs KC.

Are you a teenager or an early 20 something? Just curious.  Your comments come off like some easily led child.

Seattle may not make the playoffs next year just like Baltimore, specifically because of that division's strength. The NFC W is stronger than the AFC N. STL will be one year better, Arizona is trending up and SF is still there.

If SF comes back to win the division, Seattle best get to 11 wins for a wild card. If they don't, they could miss the postseason.

Their FA losses will affect them in some way, but how much, remains to be seen.

[/QUOTE]

Rusty, the Patriots are on a downward trend, not upward as we all wish they were. Brady will be another year older. Yes, they have a respectable middle of the road D but it no way, shape, or form a Championship defense like Seattle has built. How would Seattle possibly be any worse next year? That's rediculous!!! Yes teams will be gunning for them, and yes the 49ers will still be great but other than that there are not any huge obstacles in their way. The Patriots need more than just a safety. Talib has proven that he is not the most durable. I love them like no other and hope that I am wrong but right now the Hernandez and Gronk singings are really tightening the money to spend. Oh yeah, and I've been a Pats fan since 1978!

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]

get Mayo, VW, Kelly healthy.

sign a real strong safety. someone good. (whitner, pollard)

get Talib back.

get some damn DE/DT depth through FA  and draft

and i think we could be great like Seattle.

glimpses were shown the first few weeks until the injuries came on.

need one or two more playmakers and health

[/QUOTE]

no it's not.

we saw what a defense needs to be last night, and we have about 2 pieces of that puzzle.

don't sign Talib, he doesn't pass the kam Chancellor test

trade Wilfork. we need youth on the front line

get another DE, get some big CBs and safities

Pete carrol built a defense with late rounders, we picked a bunch of early rounders that are a bust. mayo included

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Dt 1st rd wilfork

Dt very solid pro kelly

Dt solid fa siliga

Dt potential starter armstead

De 1st rd stud chandler jones

De best run defending de in football rob ninkovich, still gets 8 sacks a year and leads the team in qb pressures

Lb 1st rd hightower

Lb 1st rd captain mayo

Lb 2nd rd collins

Cb 1st rd talib

Cb 7th rd solid dennard(2nd rd grade)

Cb 3rd rd logan ryan solid promising

Cb top rated nickel back arrington

FS 1st rd safety dmc, highest rated safety in nfl by pro footbal focus, only patriot to make their pro bowl team, lead league in pass deflections for safety

SS  gregory, had a better year then is given credit for, but not a traditional ss, so we signed one of the best SS's of the last decade but he tore his achilles.

3rd round pick durom harmon, looked good in  a back up role.

This D needs to invest in the DT position and probably walk away from kelly coming off acl surgery. Siliga can be the early down run stuffer next to vw.. Sign Talib, or another vet cb, find an in the box intimidating strong safety they have missed since rodney( put him in rotation with gregory as a situational player). There are no glaring needs for this defense.

F o r those that feel the need to compare us to seattle realize seattle is the best defense this league has seen since probably the 2000 ravens. Building a defense like seattles isnt easy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

get Mayo, VW, Kelly healthy.

sign a real strong safety. someone good. (whitner, pollard)

get Talib back.

get some damn DE/DT depth through FA  and draft

and i think we could be great like Seattle.

glimpses were shown the first few weeks until the injuries came on.

need one or two more playmakers and health

[/QUOTE]

no it's not.

we saw what a defense needs to be last night, and we have about 2 pieces of that puzzle.

don't sign Talib, he doesn't pass the kam Chancellor test

trade Wilfork. we need youth on the front line

get another DE, get some big CBs and safities

Pete carrol built a defense with late rounders, we picked a bunch of early rounders that are a bust. mayo included

[/QUOTE]

Says the guy who said pete Carrol built our dynasty defense. Sorry if you can't be taken seriously after that joke of a post.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts