Our O-line is not good enough to win a SB!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan33928. Show soxfan33928's posts

Our O-line is not good enough to win a SB!

I have watched both games closely now and have come away with one main observation, our o-line is overrated.  I watched the Giants line handle everything the Cowboys through at them last night, and especially when it mattered.  Although Brady was not sacked, he was hit a ton and he had some happy feet.  He never had the chance to stand in the pocket and look downfield.  Please BB, get us some real o-lineman.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Our O-line is not good enough to win a SB!

How can the O line be overrated when no one ha sthem rated high? Everyone for two years now has been dogging the O line so how is it overated? They are what they are, they are not teh best O line in football and no one has said they are so no they are not overated they are rated exactly the way they should be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I thought it was our O-Line too, but after thinking about it and reading a lot of other opinions, you can't rule out that it's simply what we are doing in response to the blitzing.  Few teams have the talent to blitz, apply pressure, and cover our receivers man to man.  Teams like that will cause any team problems, and we have probably shown we are not immune to a good defense.  

Trying to pass our way to victory when faced with a dominant D has a lot of people questioning that strategy.  I can really only think of one time that has worked; the Dolphins beating the 1985 Bears.  It didn't work for us in the SB, and it didn't work against the Jets.  I don't expect us to fare as bad for our second meeting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

The Steelers O-line is far worse, Ben has been sacked more than any QB in the league these last few years. Yet they won the SB in February. The offense isn't clicking quite yet. And if the defense could wrap people up in space (especially on third and long) it would help a lot, too! But at least some credit needs to go to the Jests defense. They have improved quite a bit since last season. Revis was all over Moss, and they seemed to have an eye out for Edelman. Not to mention Galloway has hands of stone!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

The bottom line is that the Patriots have become sooooooo predictable. Everyone knows they are going to pass, pass, pass, and pass. Even when they run, its just a change of pace deal. They didn't win 3 super bowls being a finesse pass first team. Enough with the 50 attempts per game. I'd rather see 50 rushes per game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree its time to play some smash mouth football. We need to run the ball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Our O-line is not good enough to win a SB!:
    [QUOTE]The Steelers O-line is far worse, Ben has been sacked more than any QB in the league these last few years. Yet they won the SB in February. The offense isn't clicking quite yet. And if the defense could wrap people up in space (especially on third and long) it would help a lot, too! But at least some credit needs to go to the Jests defense. They have improved quite a bit since last season. Revis was all over Moss, and they seemed to have an eye out for Edelman. Not to mention Galloway has hands of stone!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

I agree with you Bub.  The Steelers were lucky enough to not face a defensive team in the SB though.  Bottom line is as you say; let's give the Jets D some credit.  Already looking forward to the second game with them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

The Steelers O-line is not the worst.  They get labled that way because Big Ben holds on to the ball for so long because he such a big guy, and thus hard to bring down, that he feels no urgent need to get rid of the ball like other QB's. 

As far as the Patriots' O-line goes, we are pretty damn horrible, especially with Matt Light as our LT.  When they show replays of Brady getting blitzed, hurried, or sacked, you always see Matt Light get beat easily.  I swear that guy is paper mache!  He cannot hold his own against even a mediocre pass rush.  When you look at the tape, it shows how little athleticism Matt Light truley has.  Time and again I see defenders throw a little move on him, and then they're off to the races straight toward Brady!  He's also very passive out there, and does not seem to use his hands well at all.  His repitoire seems to consist of grabbing jerseys or just trying to push an opposing player away half-assed.

The O-line is also to blame for the lack of a decent running game.  Sure our RB's post decent/good YPC numbers, but how many big runs do you ever see anymore.  This is because the line rarely ever opens up great running lanes for our RB's.  If you notice, most of the rushing plays, no matter who is carrying the ball on a given play, usually involves a straight rush up the middle right into the opposing team's D-line.  There's never any available lanes open for a RB to cut back, run draws etc..  Because our running game is horrible, it forces us to air it out on a disproportionate amount of plays.

Coaching is also a huge issue.  When is the last time that the Pats have been creative on offense?  Seriously, how many times can we expect to go into the shotgun in five-wide sets and hope to be successful?  As far as Brady is concerned, I think he'll be fine.  However, I think he could benefit from more dink and dunk type of plays in order to keep opposing teams honest out there.  What ever happened to taking what the defense gives you?  To often we go in there like we can just impose our will on other teams because of the record setting '07 season. 

I think this is the year that we find a viable replacement for Light at LT via the draft.  I see Vollimer more as our future RT once he gets coached up some.  We also need to start drafting a RB.  No, I'm not advocating using a 1st rounder because I don't think it's necessary in order to get a good running back. but why not take a gamble on one with a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donspartucus. Show donspartucus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Our O-line is not good enough to win a SB! :
    Posted by donspartucus[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more about Matt LightWeight.   O'Connell was passed around to all the assistant coaches like a little girl all week to find out how the Pats respond to blitzes, etc.
    READ: 
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10099282/Sunday-Scoopage:-Hidden-intrigue-behind-Patriots-Jets

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan33928. Show soxfan33928's posts

I have little faith in our line.  In addition, we have no true RB or TE. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan33928. Show soxfan33928's posts

[QUOTE] I see Vollimer more as our future RT once he gets coached up some.  We also need to start drafting a RB.  No, I'm not advocating using a 1st rounder because I don't think it's necessary in order to get a good running back. but why not take a gamble on one with a 2nd or 3rd rounder?
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE]

I happened to run into Vollmer last week in Wrentham.  I am 6'4 260lbs and he made me feel tiny.  Dude is huge and not fat.  He could be someone to look out for eventually.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Calmy. Show Calmy's posts

[QUOTE]The bottom line is that the Patriots have become sooooooo predictable. Everyone knows they are going to pass, pass, pass, and pass. Even when they run, its just a change of pace deal. They didn't win 3 super bowls being a finesse pass first team. Enough with the 50 attempts per game. I'd rather see 50 rushes per game.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Agree.  It is not a long term recipe for success in the NFL.  The fact that they think they can continue to throw the ball when everyone knows that is what they are doing is nothing but foolish.  When the Patriots were great, and I'm not even really talking about 2007, they seemed to be a step ahead of opponents.  Now, like you said, they are painfully predictable. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackDawe. Show JackDawe's posts

[QUOTE]The Steelers O-line is far worse, Ben has been sacked more than any QB in the league these last few years....
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]
    This is not entirely true.  Who was the most-sacked QB in the NFL last year?  Matt Cassel.  Yes, Pittsburgh's O-line deserves some criticism for its run blocking, and Ben Roethlistberger holds the ball longer than anyone.  So did Cassel, but the fact is that it has been a couple of years since the Pats line was anywhere near the top, going back further than the last Super Bowl, when they were simply brushed aside by the Giants front seven.

And the current Pats linemen have never been able to run block.  Ever!  No RB in the NFL could succeed behind that line.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JackDawe. Show JackDawe's posts

[QUOTE]The Steelers O-line is not the worst. ...  As far as the Patriots' O-line goes, we are pretty damn horrible, especially with Matt Light as our LT.  When they show replays of Brady getting blitzed, hurried, or sacked, you always see Matt Light get beat easily.  I swear that guy is paper mache!  He cannot hold his own against even a mediocre pass rush.... The O-line is also to blame for the lack of a decent running game.  Sure our RB's post decent/good YPC numbers, but how many big runs do you ever see anymore.  This is because the line rarely ever opens up great running lanes for our RB's.... Coaching is also a huge issue..... I think this is the year that we find a viable replacement for Light at LT via the draft.  I see Vollimer more as our future RT once he gets coached up some.  We also need to start drafting a RB.  No, I'm not advocating using a 1st rounder because I don't think it's necessary in order to get a good running back. but why not take a gamble on one with a 2nd or 3rd rounder?
    Posted by angel3781[/QUOTE]

Good post.  I agree on so much of this.  I think the offense is reeling in the wake of yet another new coordinator, and, really, is Dante Scarnecchia qualified to coach the line?  I love the guy for his loyalty and versatility, but we may be witnessing the Peter Principle.

Light is average at best, and I have been saying that for years; now he is also getting old.  Mankins is good, Koppen average, Neal average, and Kaczur below average.  I think Vollmer could be the next LT, though, as his feet are very quick and he is gigantic!  I pray this is so, and soon!  Like mid-season!!

I wouldn't worry about RB until the line is fixed, though.  If next year is capless, we might hope to see some real talent hired to do what the other contending teams seem to be able to do: just block!  Then use one of those 1st Rounders in 2011 to get a real OT.