our secondary

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bkoo72. Show bkoo72's posts

our secondary

Man, our secondary would have been sick with Bodden in. can you imagine McCourty as our third CB!

too bad we have Wilhite who's gonna be targeted like crazy over the year. the guy is just bad plain and simple.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Re: our secondary

They played well.  BB played man, mixed it up with differing formations. 

The secondary would obviously be better with Bodden, but the players today played very well against a supposed SB contending and loaded offense.

This game wasn't anywhere near as close as 14 points.  BB gave up yards for time.

And the Merriweather botched INT call didn't help, as it extended the drive. Nor did the phantom holding call on Koppen.

Overall, the team looks conditioned for Week 1, but needs improvement.

It's a win/win. Enough to pick on to keep them humble and plenty to like.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Our secondary performed well, they shut the Bengals down in the first half. Can't really count the second half as the Bengals where playing catch up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Shut up with the Jonathan Wilhite hate! Everyone over the offseason was annoying me with the negative slander. Wilhite played great in the slot today, Darius Butler is the one who was getting beat consistently, and it was to Chad Ochocinco. A great game by the secondary I thought, and that includes Jonathan Wilhite.

Last year, in his second season after being a fourth round pick, Wilhite played outside against some great players. He was often times allowing short and midrange receptions without anything else. Wilhite was always around the ball, but never meeting it in the air. He was consistent with his work. Sure, he's average. But he can have a fair role inside the defense and be a fine reserve for the outside with more experience. Give the dude a break and get off his back. In fact, I don't know why anyone would pick Jon out today and single him out for a "bad performance". He had a couple of nice deflections if I'm not mistaking, and his zone coverage looked sound for the most part. He is NOT bad, plain and simple. Fan's are just unreasonable with this guy, plain and simple.

My rant is over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I think McCourty at this point would be ahead of Butler.  I did think they were picking on Sanders in the late 2nd half. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Yeah, a prevent D with BB choosing time over yardage and full fledged scheming is not a big deal.

This game was not as close as 14 points.

Overall, people like Gasper, Breer, Manza-Young, Bob Ryan and Shaugnessy are in trouble when they write their columns.

They'll point out Ocho Cinco doing 143 yards receiving or whatever it was, but they'll ignore all the positives that showed NE was head and shoulders better than Cincy and better than most suspected.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The secondary was pretty sick without Bodden. That was a nice game with tight coverage. A couple lapses mostly in the second half when it really didn't matter. 

Nice tackling. You have to love the run support Chung gave as well. 

McCourty was unbelievable and Butler played well. 

It's about time we saw some middle linebackers making plays in the passing game also. 

You have to like what happened against two of the best wideouts and a very good QB. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

lol!!

J-E-T-S!  Jets! Jets! Jets!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andrew_perloff/09/12/first.and.10/index.html?eref=sihp

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bkoo72. Show bkoo72's posts

you're right, we did give up a lot on passing yards, but it's cause they were playing catch up in the second half. thats where it all came from. can't really count that against them completely. 

Wilhite did have a play here and there, Butler did have a bad play also here and there, but you can't say Butlers worse than Wilhite cause Butler wasn't defending the slot receiver. Wilhite was covering underneath routes that most likely wont give up big touch down plays. his missteps do constantly extend drives though that ultimately tires the D and can attribute to scores against us.

But overall I can't see how you can't come out of this game impressed with the D. its their first game. lots of mistakes? yes. lots of good plays? yes. could have been better? yes. but for the first game for a D that was supposed to be bad and in transition, looked pretty impressive to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Monaco117. Show Monaco117's posts

In Response to Re: our secondary:
    [QUOTE]I bet you really believe that.  Dude, the D got lit up against an average offensive team.  350 yards passing?  That IS sick.  This team is in trouble against any half decent defense.  Can't expect a defensive and special teams TD every game.  But you can expect to give up 300 yards passing.
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: our secondary : Yeah, it only counts in the first half I guess that takes out those 2nd hald Pats TDs.

ok, then it would still be 24-3 Pat's... jets are getting crushed next week and you know it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Don't go feeding the beast. Attention is all this PhatRex trouble is looking for. Just a heads up because I don't want another thread getting distracted like others have. No one respond to it, just talk about the other stuff at hand.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]I bet you really believe that.  Dude, the D got lit up against an average offensive team.  350 yards passing?  That IS sick.  This team is in trouble against any half decent defense.  Can't expect a defensive and special teams TD every game.  But you can expect to give up 300 yards passing.

Don't expect to give up 150 yards next week!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

bkoo72, I wasn't suggesting Wilhite is a better player than Butler, just that Wilhite isn't "bad, plain and simple".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

I actually thought Wilhite played will in nickel against a good rookie whom Cincy was raving about.  BB played man coverage and the secondary was very good.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoPinkHatPatsFans. Show NoPinkHatPatsFans's posts

Did you watch the game?

"Everyone thought the Pats' young defense would struggle, but they held tough, especially in the first half. Their green secondary did well against Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco before they were in more of a prevent mode in the second half."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

The TO/Ochocinco tandem is a good receiver set but they are definitely not the top notch receivers they once were and Palmer is just a good QB but not the QB he was before his knee injury.

Decent showing by the secondary in any case.  The Bengals definitely have a good offense, in the top 3rd of the league but they are definitely not the upper notch that the Colts, Saints, or Packers (and Pats) are.  Would actually put them in the low second tier under the Texans.

Definitely some mistakes and they Pats offense will have to light it up some days but all in all, the D should be able to hold its own most of the time.  Hoping by the end of the year, the Pats D shows to be itself in the top third of the league D and that should be good enough to compete deep into the playoffs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I'll stick to my guns.

"Don't go feeding the beast. Attention is all this PhatRex trouble is looking for. Just a heads up because I don't want another thread getting distracted like others have. No one respond to it, just talk about the other stuff at hand"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsppro1. Show jsppro1's posts

The "Baby Backs"  are going to suffer though their growing pains.  That's expected to happen.  However, did you see Chung.  This kid played well.  Let's keep a eye on him.  Go pats go

25. This post has been removed.