Our TE's will make this Offense Go.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

Our TE's will make this Offense Go.

This is the group that hurt us the most for the past few years.  Tom will be able to open up the entire Offense more when the opposition knows they have to play the TE's as legitimate receivers.  Algie is the perfect vet to help get the youngsters ready.  And once you make several completions to the TE's, the running game opens up more also. Our vast amount of options have to be Defensed as in past years when we moved the ball and performed much better in the red zone. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Re: Our TE's will make this Offense Go.

I just envision goal line offense, I-formation, with Algie and Gronk on the line, and Hernandez in as h-back...  All three of those players can be used for run/pass block or as receivers.  We definitely didn't have something like this last year.  It's going to be very tough for other teams to game plan for this scenario...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clay73. Show Clay73's posts

In Response to Re: Our TE's will make this Offense Go.:
    Absolutely.  I am assuming BB keeps all 3 TEs.  I am also going to assume BB considers Gronk and Herby starting material, at least slowly from Week 1.  If that is the case, teams will have serious problems matching up with Moss, Edelman and some guy named Torry Holt.   It will help the run game, pass protection, drive sustain, second half offense and red zone efficiency. It is incredible to me that Brady has been this great with only getting WRs in 2007 and 2009 and NEVER really having a legit TE threat like every other Pro Bowl QB has. I expect a lethal, balanced, methodical offense.
    Posted by russgriswold

A legit TE or two is just what Tom needed to get the chains moving again.  I am not going to write off Algie - everything I read says he still has plenty left in his tank.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Can someone please let Bill O'Brien know too!   
    I agree with this post as well - The TE's should help the offense and Brady of course.  A lot of us weren't happy with O'Brien AT ALL with his Play Calling and most of us wanted him OUTTA! and even with Wes Welker playing in most games.  I'm hoping the Pats landed enough Fire-power so not even Bill O'Brien can screw this up - We'll see....

GO PATS!

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

im very skeptical the TE's will be used how alot on this board want them to be used...sure its easy to dream right now about how un-stoppable they will be...but they are rookies playing in new systems and have alot to learn

i mean alge crumpler is a shadow of his former self, gron has back issues and hernandez is coming from a gimmick offense in florida

could it all work out perfectly for the pats? it sure could

could they get similar production from these guys as they did the watson/baker combo? they sure could...and thats not good

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: Our TE's will make this Offense Go. : You have your head in the sand. Gimmick offense or not, your own team runs a gimmick offense and your Hurricane loyalty cannot deflect from Urban Meyer's program and success either. Hernandez was rated VERY highly and only dropped because of the bingers.  The Pats system is not that confusing for TEs. They are asked to block (Gronk and Crump) and get open in mismatches.  Jeff FIsher certainly had good things to say as Crumpler helped blow open holes for Chris Johnson.
    Posted by russgriswold

uh, no...the phins ran a gimmick set...one they barely used without ronnie brown

and my hurricane loyalty has nothing to do with the kind of prospects that UF has put out on a whole(which is not very many compared to FSU or UM), the kind of prospects urban meyer himself has produced (which are few and far between for a big time program in general)

great...jeff fisher also wore a peyton manning jersey...and crumpler was essentially only blocking and not catching anything, ie...not taking advantage of mis-matches...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

brady said it was very difficult for rookie receivers esp TEs in his recent weei interview

In Response to Re: Our TE's will make this Offense Go. : You have your head in the sand. Gimmick offense or not, your own team runs a gimmick offense and your Hurricane loyalty cannot deflect from Urban Meyer's program and success either. Hernandez was rated VERY highly and only dropped because of the bingers.  The Pats system is not that confusing for TEs. They are asked to block (Gronk and Crump) and get open in mismatches.  Jeff FIsher certainly had good things to say as Crumpler helped blow open holes for Chris Johnson.
    Posted by russgriswold

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I'm pretty sure that the kids and Alge Crumpler will all be on the squad,with that said it'll take some time for the 2 kids too catch on to the NFL speed differential.. They will both contribute but to what extent will depend on their ability to learn at an accellerated pace. All in all it will be interesting too watch..

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

hi hess. How's it goin'?

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Pay no attention to Leon. In the dictionary under "moron" it says "see him"! I mean look at this garbage:

what about the WR position???Seriously that group looks like somebody elases practice squad!

Spelling errors aside (although only one isn't bad for someone with an IQ of 27), this statement is absurd. Randy Moss and Tory Holt on someone's practice squad? The team would have to have Jerry Rice, John Stallworth, Michael Irvin, Chris Carter ,and Steve Largent (in their prime) on the 53 man roster! It's the defense that needs some work. Although I can only see Crumpler having an impact this season. But I like Gronk. Let's hope at least one of the new guys lives up to his potential. But I doubt it will be in 2010!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paddypatriot83. Show paddypatriot83's posts

Yes. In theory. I am always cautious as to the performance of rookies in any position, in any team. If it was this easy to predict and that clear, Vollmer and Edelman wouldn't have gone where they did in the draft last year.

I like both TE's drafted and their potential. I think Crumpler is a great pick-up, as well as Holt. However, let's see through mini-camp and when they get on the field. Let's see the rookies ability to fit into and learn the system, let's see how they adapt to NFL speed.

Lastly (and most importantly), let's see how much trust and confidence they get from TB12 (as per his cap) and how much offensive denier....I mean co-ordinator Bill O'Brien (sorry Bill - not happy with you at the moment) utilises them and intergrates their skills and receiving benefits well into the unit.

I would counsel and approve of both optimism and caution and suggest we revist in September when they've actually got on the field!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Yes. In theory. I am always cautious as to the performance of rookies in any position, in any team. If it was this easy to predict and that clear, Vollmer and Edelman wouldn't have gone where they did in the draft last year. I like both TE's drafted and their potential. I think Crumpler is a great pick-up, as well as Holt. However, let's see through mini-camp and when they get on the field. Let's see the rookies ability to fit into and learn the system, let's see how they adapt to NFL speed. Lastly (and most importantly), let's see how much trust and confidence they get from TB12 (as per his cap) and how much offensive denier....I mean co-ordinator Bill O'Brien (sorry Bill - not happy with you at the moment) utilises them and intergrates their skills and receiving benefits well into the unit. I would counsel and approve of both optimism and caution and suggest we revist in September when they've actually got on the field!!
    Posted by paddypatriot83

well said...i notice you didnt get any dissent from rusty which means he may agree?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Of course I agree. These discussions are centered around offensive philosophy and balance on paper. Of course the field matters where it needs to translate. We don't have that yet.  So, we talk about personnel on paper. You'd have to be dumb and blind to not see the fatal design flaw with this team since SB 42 on offense. NO BALANCE. Deepest WR group and TE group Brady has ever had even without the great Welker for half a season. If find increasingly strange a Colts, Dolphins and Jets fan spends this much time entertaining themselves on a Pats board because they are jealous of a Dynasty and fear what could happen again (another SB appearance in the future).
    Posted by russgriswold

ok...well having these guys is no guarentee that BB is going to coach a balanced offense because i believe BB wants the balls in the hands of his best players at all times, not just the TE or XYZ over the hill RB they drag out there

and again...i do post on a dolphins message board which is blocked at my work my computer...boston.com is not blocked...therefore i can come here and talk football...if that bothers you so much, i suggest you ignore me

jealous? ha...thats rich...and how did that superbowl appearance go last year? oh thats right, you guys got dismantled and embarrassed by the ravens...im sorry you think its going to be different this year

P.S. making you angry is really alot of fun too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

In Response to Our TE's will make this Offense Go.:
    This is the group that hurt us the most for the past few years.  Tom will be able to open up the entire Offense more when the opposition knows they have to play the TE's as legitimate receivers.  Algie is the perfect vet to help get the youngsters ready.  And once you make several completions to the TE's, the running game opens up more also. Our vast amount of options have to be Defensed as in past years when we moved the ball and performed much better in the red zone. 
    Posted by Clay73

I too like the potential of the TE position. But this is 2 rookies being discussed. While 53 players are on the team, 45 are active on game day. Do the math. Seemingly only 2 TE's w/b active on game day.
    I am reading numerous exoctic game planning in May here on the posts, but lets be realistic. Not everyone can be active on game day, and since when do rookies make an impression with this offense, Edelman/Mankins aside?  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Add Welker to a mix of 2 TEs and that is BIG!  In fact, another productive WR and let them guess where it's going.  Of course, a steady/productive RB would be over-the-top.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Well, Jimmy exposed himself again. Perhaps you should be spending your time working Jimmy instead of posting on our board. If you want to post, at least post something intelligent and reasonable. I don't mind and in fact encourage dialogue from other team's fans, just make sure it's objective and not full of rah, rah BS. 

You can't argue with the Pats offense on paper. Period. On paper, it's full of potential. Like Russ said, we don't know what we don't know because we have seem them on the field yet. But if you base your opinions objectively on the body of work of these guys in the past, then I think you can come to a relatively simple conclusion that there are potential weapons, and our offense will not be 1 dimensional as it was last year. 

Even an other team's fan gets that. BTW..if you are a Fins fan, congrats. I like their offseason moves and think they will be a fun team to watch...even when they are playing the Pats. I think the Fins have a bright future as long as Parcells stays onboard and doesn't hand off his responsibilities to JLow, Mark Anthony or Gloria Estefan. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Here we go again...lol.

The Patriots haven't used TE's for other things aside from blocking to protect Brady for a looong time. So, as to whether guys like Graham and/or Watson are meeting expectations depends on what one is looking for. They can't exactly catch passes if they are NOT asked to.  As others have noted, the Patriots favor a "spread" formation where Brady has check downs. The TE is towards the end of the list. Welker and Moss are likely the first and/or second check down depending on the play. Faulk is probably up there too. TEs....well...mebbe 3rd or 4th checkdown for most plays.

Everyone's optimism is nice - but unless BB is going to start to write up plays specifically designed for TEs to catch the ball as the first check down (hopefully on mismatches) - then all our TEs are gonna be doing is BLOCKING.

This is gonna depend on whether BB is gonna change. Is he or isn't he?

I'd personally like to see it because it would make our offense less predictable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I believe Belichick will incorporate the TE's into the offense much more this year than in recent years. Why else would he dump Chris Baker after signing him for a 5 year deal and let Ben Watson walk without even making him an offer. We have a totally revamped group of TE's, one veteran and two rookies. If the rookies can live up to their hype, I think this group will impress this year and be a positive facet of the offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Can someone please let Bill O'Brien know too!    I agree with this post as well - The TE's should help the offense and Brady of course.  A lot of us weren't happy with O'Brien AT ALL with his Play Calling and most of us wanted him OUTTA! and even with Wes Welker playing in most games.  I'm hoping the Pats landed enough Fire-power so not even Bill O'Brien can screw this up - We'll see.... GO PATS!
    Posted by NOISE

Play calling and audibles can be remedied fairly easily with a coach like Belichick and a QB like Brady. It's the play-design, which is reflective of the system, that I have taken issue with. With a frustrating or inconsistent system, the game-plan is probably going to be shaped oddly and the in-game adjustments and play-calling will usually become too much to handle. I think it's unfair for us to place everything on Bill O'Brien. It's a team effort. Speaking specifically to the tight end production in 2009, I think Tom stopped relying on that unit after a certain point in the season. His faith and trust to spread the ball around was limited or contained much more than we're accustom to.

Sections
Shortcuts