Outstanding Value For Richard Seymour. Anyone Disagree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Outstanding Value For Richard Seymour. Anyone Disagree?

First off it stinks we have a NFL where guys like Richard Seymour don't play until they are 35 in one uniform and retire, but with the salary cap that's not the way it is.   Obviously BB feels he can win without Seymour, hell he won 11 games without Brady last season.  Plus it seemed unrealistic we could sign Seymour to a long-term deal with other players needed to be resigned in the immediate future that were bigger priorities. 

If we traded Seymour for a 2nd round pick, I would have been pissed.  If we traded Seymour for a 1st round pick to a playoff team like the Cardinals or Cowboys, I would have been a little upset.  But a first round pick to a horrible team like the Raiders, it's going to probably be a top 6 pick like they year we traded with the 49'ers.     Each year the draft gets better and better and BB uses it to keep this team young.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Outstanding Value For Richard Seymour. Anyone Disagree?

In Response to Outstanding Value For Richard Seymour. Anyone Disagree?:
    [QUOTE]First off it stinks we have a NFL where guys like Richard Seymour don't play until they are 35 in one uniform and retire, but with the salary cap that's not the way it is.   Obviously BB feels he can win without Seymour, hell he won 11 games without Brady last season.  Plus it seemed unrealistic we could sign Seymour to a long-term deal with other players needed to be resigned in the immediate future that were bigger priorities.  If we traded Seymour for a 2nd round pick, I would have been pissed.  If we traded Seymour for a 1st round pick to a playoff team like the Cardinals or Cowboys, I would have been a little upset.  But a first round pick to a horrible team like the Raiders, it's going to probably be a top 6 pick like they year we traded with the 49'ers.     Each year the draft gets better and better and BB uses it to keep this team young.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

Absolutely agree I think most Pats fans understand Seymour was probably gone after this year and we are getting almost max value by trading now(with possibility of wage scales in place for rooks by 2011) but my problem with this trrade is that it does not improve our defense in any way shape or form this year in fact it hurts it. We have a window for winning championships with the great Tom Brady and  like it or not that window is getting smaller.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1931488. Show user_1931488's posts

Great deal.  Injury prone and way overrated.  Bit of a pansy compared to his peers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Yeah I agree.  But BB probably realizes that with Brady back this offense is going to score 28-40 points a game and we have a running game that can chew up clock.   I think our defense will be decent not great. 

I don't know why more fans weren't upset when we basically gave Ellis Hobbs away for nothing, who was a solid CB.  At least Seymour we got a top 10 pick for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cokely. Show cokely's posts

Agreed.  It's a no-brainer when an annual contender can trade an aging veteran in the last year of his contract for a likely top 10 pick.  That's what keeps the top talent rolling in and the team in contention.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

For 2011 when top 10 draft pick salaries will actually be SANE enough that the Pats will not trade out of it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from baileyjtb661. Show baileyjtb661's posts

If we don't want an overpowering front line it is a great value,and with so many questions at both linebacker and the secondary,where is the logic in adding instability to the only part of the defense that WAS 100% stable.Then with rumors that they'll let wilfork walk at the end of the year,and the unlikelyhood of any rookies filling the the voids left by the loss of seymour and wilfork,i do not feel comfortable chaulking this up to a "in Belichick we trust moment".
           Although I do understand the logic behind getting value for a player that will most likely be lost to free agency,I feel this trade does somewhat hamper the patriots odds of having an effective defense for this year as well as the next two.I am by no means an alarmist but i do believe that this trade weakens a D that was already worse than the "bend but not break" defense of '07,and that has once shown that is not enough to win championship.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

DuncanOrange nobody was upset when we gave Hobbs away because he was a 3rd or 4th corner playing first string for us. He was a solid but unspectacular kick returner. He might have been the 4th corner on this years roster, and probably 5th by the end of the year if all goes well with Butler.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I agree.  BB wants to get younger.  Defensive line is getting old. Time for some youth and speed.  It hurts to lose a player who has been a force, but at the same time a 1st rounder is always nice to have.  Look at Mayo.  What a trade that was!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

And the pick is in 2011, it's not like the Raiders are going to turn it around and be good in a couple years, they are the biggest trainwreck in all of sports.   Plus the Chiefs should be a playoff contender by next season with all the young talent they've brought in (probably be a 5-11 team this year), and the Chargers will still have Philip Rivers and young talent so they'll be better than the Raiders, and hopefully next season Josh McDaniels can turn the Broncos around enough so they can beat the Raiders to get us a better pick.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

One of the aspects of this trade and several of the BB era trades that I like is we trade once formidable pieces of the puzzle to places where, not only are they not likely to hurt us, but they make the enemies of our enemy stronger, vis a vis, San Diego may still be cruising through the AFC West, but KC, Denver and Oakland have all gotten a little bit stronger with ex-Patriots filling roster spots.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from floodgate. Show floodgate's posts

It's a shocking move, regardless of the salary cap logic
    and getting the #1 from Oakland when considering the implications
    for this year.

Seymour still had 8 sacks last year, am I right?
    The key question is, if they want a Super Bowl defense,
    how are they going to replace him in the short term?

We have to assume that BB knows something we 
    don't about Green, Brace, Wright, etc....I hope.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

[QUOTE] If we traded Seymour for a 2nd round pick, I would have been pissed. 
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

A 1rst rnd pick in 2011 == a second rnd pick in 2010. Are you pissed?
    I am... :-(

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

How does a first round pick equal a 2nd round pick.  No one knows how strong the draft will be next year or in 2011.   What if that 1st round pick turns out to be a top 10 pick (great likelyhood it's the Raiders) and that pick turns out to be a franchise RB or LT, I don't think anyone will be complaining then.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I agree..Not mad at all... We haven't been good against the run or the pass for at least the last 2 years. Seymour has been hurt and when he hasn't been hurt he has not been a force on the D line like he was 5 years ago. 1 thing I will guarantee anyone...We did not get worse by making this deal. No matter what his buddies on the team may say..I know they love the guy but you have to move forward. This creates room for Vince Wilfork to be kept on at the end of the year even if we have to franchise him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I will admit I was shocked at the news, but do see the reasons Bill did it. In the end I think it will turn out to be a smart move but dang! I was caught by suprise.

Go Pats!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom12isgod. Show tom12isgod's posts

Only the Raiders would be stupid enough to trade away a first-round (probably top 5) draft pick, in a season that will potentially feature a sallary cap for rookie contracts, for a 30 year old D-lineman who has been a shell of his former self for the past 2 seasons. I almost can't believe it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

We probably got max value for him. I still feel bad he is winding up with garbage Oakland but that is business. I'm very glad an thankful we are the team that obviously got the best years out of him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Great move by BB.get the value now while you can and save money to dign wilfork. who's to say he doesn't use the pick to get a decent player this year or next. heck the raiders will have the #1 pick in the draft for the next three years.

my question is who's next?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I Be now we really are going to be a base 4-3.  Seymour would have been a DT in the 4-3...and they have at least 3 other guys who can handle that duty.  As he is a FA I like the move...but it is awful late in the year to make this kind of change.  The Kendall simmons addition is awful late as well.  Is it possible to pick up a stud corner or even better LB from someone right now.....A 4-3 OLB would make for  great transition into the 4-3 in a hurry....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No one for a second think we got a good value out of this deal. Our weakness isn't our age, the weakness is the defense and it's lack of a pass rush. How does trading our best DL man who earned 8 sacks last season, make our pass rush any better? We still don't have an OLB so how what formation are we going to run this year? A 3-4, no, we don't have another OLB. A 4-3, no, our pass rush isn't that strong. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Outstanding Value For Richard Seymour. Anyone Disagree?:
    [QUOTE]No one for a second think we got a good value out of this deal. Our weakness isn't our age, the weakness is the defense and it's lack of a pass rush. How does trading our best DL man who earned 8 sacks last season, make our pass rush any better? We still don't have an OLB so how what formation are we going to run this year? A 3-4, no, we don't have another OLB. A 4-3, no, our pass rush isn't that strong. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I watched every game as I'm sure you did. Please tell me which game he was dominant in like he was 5 years ago. I hear you on the sacks but stats don't tell the whole story. Our defense got run over last year and a big part of that is that he just wasn't the force he has been in the past. I don't remember 1 game last year when I left saying.."Boy our Dline looked good. Most sacks the Pats got last year were coverage sacks and for the most part the whole D was a day late and a dollar short. I can't imagine we will be worse this year without him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

"Outstanding Value" -  for a 1st round, likely top ten pick ? I agree.

Seymour is formidable, but a little over-rated. I was shocked to see the deal - but, I don't know why, really, .....it's the Pats. Should the Pats go forward and show a solid defense, go 12-4 and into the playoffs.......add it all up and you get more genius from Bill and Co.

Now, where's our veteran back-up QB ? Next !......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outstanding Value For Richard Seymour. Anyone Disagree? : I watched every game as I'm sure you did. Please tell me which game he was dominant in like he was 5 years ago. I hear you on the sacks but stats don't tell the whole story. Our defense got run over last year and a big part of that is that he just wasn't the force he has been in the past. I don't remember 1 game last year when I left saying.."Boy our Dline looked good. Most sacks the Pats got last year were coverage sacks and for the most part the whole D was a day late and a dollar short. I can't imagine we will be worse this year without him.
    Posted by ewhite1065[/QUOTE]

Totally agree! I too was very shocked at first, as Richard Seymour was my favorite player & I have 2 of his jerseys...But I agree that the defense needs improvement & this is all a part of that.  Anyone with any football sense will tell you that the incredible '07 offense covered up the average defense we had that year.  We witnessed this especially at the end of the year, when teams started to figure out how to stop/slow down our '07 offense & the defense had really play...they didn't show up (like in the Superbowl) because they really weren't that good!

I see BB realizes this & doesn't want a repeat!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]We probably got max value for him. I still feel bad he is winding up with garbage Oakland but that is business. I'm very glad an thankful we are the team that obviously got the best years out of him.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad for Seymour though he will be the standout in Oakland and then be one of the biggest free agents on the market in an uncapped year. we might have done him a favor!

Sections
Shortcuts