Overlooked on the board?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Overlooked on the board?

DT Alan Branch signed with the Bills, 1 year $3m. Pats showed interest. I would have liked to see him next to Vince along with Deadrick and Lovie and Armstead. Would have been satisfied with those 5 and looked at WR, rush end and cb in the draft. 

28 years old. 325 lbs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Overlooked on the board?

Too much money for the pats to spend I guess. Is there any Haynesworth type players out there?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Isn't Branch somewhat of a JAG?  I mean he had a nice season in 2011, but has been pretty mediocre for most of his other seasons if not a downright bust.  I don't see him as a huge upgrade to Lovie or Deaderick, but maybe I'm wrong.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Too much money for the pats to spend I guess. Is there any Haynesworth type players out there?

or Ellis types?

Branch was a pretty good starter for Sea. If they draft a DT in the 1st I can see why they passed but if they don't take a DT early makes me question not take a flyer on him considering some of the past DT's they've been in for much more

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

This is what I have found for DTs left on the market: Slim pickings

Richard Seymour, DT, Raiders. Age: 33.  
    Richard Seymour has been tremendous over the years, including the first half of this past season. Unfortunately, he missed the final eight games of his 2012 campaign because of a hamstring injury. He'll be 34 in October, so it's fair to wonder if his body is breaking down. 

Sedrick Ellis, DT, Saints. Age: 28.  
    Sedrick Ellis has been an enormous bust for the Saints as the No. 7 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. There's still time for him to turn his career around though. 

Casey Hampton, NT, Steelers. Age: 35.  
    Casey Hampton is still a quality run-stuffer despite his age (36 on Sept. 3).

Sione Pouha, NT, Jets. Age: 34.

Sione Pouha is still OK in run support, but given that he just turned 34, it's fair to wonder how much longer he'll be effective. 

Corey Williams, DT, Lions. Age: 33.  
    Corey Williams should still be able to be a solid rotational lineman, but his best days are behind him. He played in only seven games in 2012. 

Shaun Cody, NT, Texans. Age: 30. 

Antonio Johnson, DT, Colts. Age: 28. 

Clinton McDonald (RFA), DT, Seahawks. Age: 26. 

Tommy Kelly, DT, Raiders. Age: 32. 

Justin Bannan, DT, Broncos. Age: 34. 

Rocky Bernard, DT, Giants. Age: 34. 

Spencer Johnson, DT, Bills. Age: 31. 

Ryan McBean, DT, Ravens. Age: 29. 

Corvey Irvin (RFA), DT, Buccaneers. Age: 28. 

Maake Kemoeatu, NT, Ravens. Age: 34. 

Andre Neblett (RFA), DT, Panthers. Age: 25. 

Brian Schaefering, DE/DT, Cowboys. Age: 30. 

Ty Warren, DT, Broncos. Age: 32. 

Amobi Okoye, DT, Bears. Age: 26. 

Nick Eason, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 33. 

Shaun Smith, NT, Chiefs. Age: 32. 

Andre Fluellen, DT, Lions. Age: 28. 

Trevor Laws, DT, Rams. Age: 28. 

Matt Toeaina, DT, Bears. Age: 28. 

Ron Edwards, DT, Panthers. Age: 34. 

Vonnie Holliday, DE/DT, Cardinals. Age: 37. 

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013DT.php

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Even not seeing Rusty I bet $20 that I can predict what he said.

• Something sarcastic about people over reacting because the Bills signed a pretty good player for a decent price
    • Something about he stinks because he went to Buf or didn't want to play for a really contender at bare minimum salary even though the Pats showed interest in him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

For what the Pats are willing to spend the best they can hope for is JAG, some one over the hill, or some with a medical question.

Branch has the size, experience and he is only 28. I thought he could have been a good fit. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Even not seeing Rusty I bet $20 that I can predict what he said.

• Something sarcastic about people over reacting because the Bills signed a pretty good player for a decent price
    • Something about he stinks because he went to Buf or didn't want to play for a really contender at bare minimum salary even though the Pats showed interest in him

Ding, Ding, Ding! NO takers here

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

For what the Pats are willing to spend the best they can hope for is JAG, some one over the hill, or some with a medical question.

Branch has the size, experience and he is only 28. I thought he could have been a good fit. 

You don't really get what's going on here.  You can get a rotational/spot guy for less than 3 million and someone who is every bit as good as a guy who had his best year entering FA.

Branch probably wants to be a 3 down player and he wouldn't be that here if BB goes DT in Rd 1 of this draft. And, you don't spend 3 million on a rotational guy when you have other needs.

Let the Bills be the Bills and let BB work his usual offseason magic between the draft and FA.

You think every player that signs on another AFC team, while completely overpaid on the market, is a good fit.

You don't spend 3 million on a rotational defensive lineman? News to me, we spent 4 million on Shaun Ellis (who was 34 years old at the time). We spent another two million on Haynesworth, who basically sat and rotated. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The market is going to be for the remaining free agents $2-3m if the player is under 30 and $1-3m if the player is over 30. 

Pats need to sign some one that could be here a few years, as Lovie and Deadrick are coming up on the end of deals, and Vince has a lot of wear on the tread.

35 year old Abraham at $2m is not as attractive IMO as 28 years old Branch at $3m. 

Signing a DL takes the pressure off taking a DL #1 in the draft, and focusing on CB, DE, WR and interior OL

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

DT Alan Branch signed with the Bills, 1 year $3m. Pats showed interest. I would have liked to see him next to Vince along with Deadrick and Lovie and Armstead. Would have been satisfied with those 5 and looked at WR, rush end and cb in the draft. 

28 years old. 325 lbs. 

weve passed on a lot of reaosonqably priced dt's in fa. i wonder why. does bb feel were set there?

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

You don't really get what's going on here.  You can get a rotational/spot guy for less than 3 million and someone who is every bit as good as a guy who had his best year entering FA.

Branch probably wants to be a 3 down player and he wouldn't be that here if BB goes DT in Rd 1 of this draft. And, you don't spend 3 million on a rotational guy when you have other needs.

Let the Bills be the Bills and let BB work his usual offseason magic between the draft and FA.

You think every player that signs on another AFC team, while completely overpaid on the market, is a good fit.

You don't spend 3 million on a rotational defensive lineman? News to me, we spent 4 million on Shaun Ellis (who was 34 years old at the time). We spent another two million on Haynesworth, who basically sat and rotated. 

Again, different market.  Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time.  It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

This is what you don't get and resfuse to learn. I think it's a little odd that you're an adult, a teacher, and you can't learn from others who understand these concepts better than you, but that's another story.

Any GM wildly spending or overpaying into this lockout of 2011 is a moron and now fired (or will be fired).

It's why no team wildly spent (cap total) in the uncapped 2010 season.   They didn't pull a NY Yankees with baseball budgeting 101 because they had no clue what the new cap structure would be.

Rememebr all these dopes, maybe even you, running around here in 2010 calling Kraft cheap and it's an "uncapped year" and all that? Yeah, and who was the one was in here trying to explain that the owners are basically colluding to not lose leverage in the CBA negotiations. If one dopey team like the Skins or Cowboys (both actually did spend the highest, but not way out of control enough to lose leverage in the negotiations), wildly overspent, say 50 million more, the union would have pointed to that as a tool in the negotiations to get a better cap position in the life of the new CBA.

I've explained this to you 100 times and you and you buddies still don't get it. The only person who should be mad at Ellis not playing better at 4 million is Bob Kraft. That's it.

BB paid all his key base guys (Mankins, Brady, Mayo, Wilfork, etc) and then he sat and waited for he new CBA to come forward. He had cash, hit on some guys (Anderson. Carter, Waters, etc) and traded for two more where missed (Hayneswoth, Ocho) absorbing that salary.

But, again, even though he missed there, you should be applauding the idea he's in that financia position to even be able to do that!  That's the point. You and RKarp and unfortunately MANY others you have corrupted here with your trolling tactics, are now on your side. But, all of you don't get it.  You might be good at filling cupcake tins, but on this stuff, it's way over your head.

Then again, Ellis was one of the 3 DTs, including the never mentioned who played well here in a rotation (Gerard Warren), on that bench with Wilfork in SB 46 when Welkie dropped that ball on that high throw from Brady.  I'll never forget the looks on their faces, because their reaction was mine.   But, that's another story. lol

So, you and NO ONE would even be caring how much Ellis got in the 1 year here if he was now walking around with a SB ring on his finger right now, aling with Warren, Andre Carter or Mark Anderson.

Once teams (Think the NY Jets who are led by morons) saw the new CBA parameters, they said "oh crap, we'd like to keep Andre Carter or keep so and so, but we can't".

This market right now cannot be compared to the one pre lockout.

You and RKarp have basically led a charge to repeat the same ignorant things on this board for a while, and you do have some followers, but you have been wrong the whole time. There's a lot more that goes into this than just wanting a player because you think he is good on another team and we have a hole to fill here.

I would not be shocked AT ALL, at all, if the Patriots have an intern, maybe an actual position with the team, maybe it was part of what Floyd Reese did, where they run numbers on team's cap positions as a way to leverage their cap position.

We know the dumb ones (Jets, Cowboys, Skins, Bears, etc), but there are always a handful of teams who screwed up in that one year (GB in 2011, NOs in 2012), where they're in a cap pinch and BB can literally pick up the phone, call those GMs, and get a feeling if those players are availabel in a trade or be cut.

You act like this is bad personnel management and it's just brilliant. 

Any Pats fan not getting the big picture or refusing to learn, is ignorant a troll or both. It's getting old.

The millisecond BB retires, expect a long way down. But, I can guarantee you this: When Jonathan Kraft looks for the next BB, he'll be looking for a guy who can be a GM just like BB.

I must admit I only read to this point...
    Again, different market. Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time. It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

I will just imagine you went on another delusional rant about the salary cap, lockout, money management, college, Brady, fiscal responsibility, defensive rebuild, value, depth building, team building, low risk...high reward, warnings were out people, abnormal bs.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that most defensive linemen are rotational players - this is not a new technique - you rotate your 300 pound D linemen in. Hopefully they are good players. What did we pay Fenene last year? Was he going to be a rotational player? I think he very much was because his size and history indicated that he was best as a situational inside rusher on passing downs. I'm not saying we should of signed Branch, I am saying 3 million is not a lot for a quality defensive lineman to rotate in.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Again, different market.  Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time.  It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

This is what you don't get and resfuse to learn. I think it's a little odd that you're an adult, a teacher, and you can't learn from others who understand these concepts better than you, but that's another story.

Any GM wildly spending or overpaying into this lockout of 2011 is a moron and now fired (or will be fired).

It's why no team wildly spent (cap total) in the uncapped 2010 season.   They didn't pull a NY Yankees with baseball budgeting 101 because they had no clue what the new cap structure would be.

Rememebr all these dopes, maybe even you, running around here in 2010 calling Kraft cheap and it's an "uncapped year" and all that? Yeah, and who was the one was in here trying to explain that the owners are basically colluding to not lose leverage in the CBA negotiations. If one dopey team like the Skins or Cowboys (both actually did spend the highest, but not way out of control enough to lose leverage in the negotiations), wildly overspent, say 50 million more, the union would have pointed to that as a tool in the negotiations to get a better cap position in the life of the new CBA.

I've explained this to you 100 times and you and you buddies still don't get it. The only person who should be mad at Ellis not playing better at 4 million is Bob Kraft. That's it.

BB paid all his key base guys (Mankins, Brady, Mayo, Wilfork, etc) and then he sat and waited for he new CBA to come forward. He had cash, hit on some guys (Anderson. Carter, Waters, etc) and traded for two more where missed (Hayneswoth, Ocho) absorbing that salary.

But, again, even though he missed there, you should be applauding the idea he's in that financia position to even be able to do that!  That's the point. You and RKarp and unfortunately MANY others you have corrupted here with your trolling tactics, are now on your side. But, all of you don't get it.  You might be good at filling cupcake tins, but on this stuff, it's way over your head.

Then again, Ellis was one of the 3 DTs, including the never mentioned who played well here in a rotation (Gerard Warren), on that bench with Wilfork in SB 46 when Welkie dropped that ball on that high throw from Brady.  I'll never forget the looks on their faces, because their reaction was mine.   But, that's another story. lol

So, you and NO ONE would even be caring how much Ellis got in the 1 year here if he was now walking around with a SB ring on his finger right now, aling with Warren, Andre Carter or Mark Anderson.

Once teams (Think the NY Jets who are led by morons) saw the new CBA parameters, they said "oh crap, we'd like to keep Andre Carter or keep so and so, but we can't".

This market right now cannot be compared to the one pre lockout.

You and RKarp have basically led a charge to repeat the same ignorant things on this board for a while, and you do have some followers, but you have been wrong the whole time. There's a lot more that goes into this than just wanting a player because you think he is good on another team and we have a hole to fill here.

I would not be shocked AT ALL, at all, if the Patriots have an intern, maybe an actual position with the team, maybe it was part of what Floyd Reese did, where they run numbers on team's cap positions as a way to leverage their cap position.

We know the dumb ones (Jets, Cowboys, Skins, Bears, etc), but there are always a handful of teams who screwed up in that one year (GB in 2011, NOs in 2012), where they're in a cap pinch and BB can literally pick up the phone, call those GMs, and get a feeling if those players are availabel in a trade or be cut.

You act like this is bad personnel management and it's just brilliant. 

Any Pats fan not getting the big picture or refusing to learn, is ignorant a troll or both. It's getting old.

The millisecond BB retires, expect a long way down. But, I can guarantee you this: When Jonathan Kraft looks for the next BB, he'll be looking for a guy who can be a GM just like BB.

I must admit I only read to this point...
    Again, different market. Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time. It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

I will just imagine you went on another delusional rant about the salary cap, lockout, money management, college, Brady, fiscal responsibility, defensive rebuild, value, depth building, team building, low risk...high reward, warnings were out people, abnormal bs.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that most defensive linemen are rotational players - this is not a new technique - you rotate your 300 pound D linemen in. Hopefully they are good players. What did we pay Fenene last year? Was he going to be a rotational player? I think he very much was because his size and history indicated that he was best as a situational inside rusher on passing downs. I'm not saying we should of signed Branch, I am saying 3 million is not a lot for a quality defensive lineman to rotate in.

MtHurl. I agree, some one under 30 that can play the interior. Obviously it won't be Branch, he signed with Buffalo. Pats showed interest, and I wonder if they offered $2-2.5 and lost Branch for small money?

I know Reiss loved Branch, and he is looking into the $$$ if he can. 

Rusty, I see on Mthurls post you are replying to my posts. I  Have you on ignore, please put me on your ignore as well so that the board is not subjected to you arguing with me, the board will appreciate it and be better off with out you following me around to argue. Thanks....maybe we battle over in the Red Sox area once I get back from vacation.....maybe mid May or so.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts