Overlooked on the board?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Overlooked on the board?

Buffalo Bills: The Bills have been quiet in free agency, especially compared to last year. But the signing of defensive tackle Alan Branch should pay off. Branch, who started for the Seattle Seahawks the past two seasons, is a massive run-stopper added to Buffalo’s defensive line rotation, which already includes tackles Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus. Branch is versatile enough to play the nose and defensive tackle in Mike Pettine’s defense, which will have 3-4 and 4-3 looks. The Bills were 31st against the run last season but are now a lot tougher up the middle after signing Branch. He’s also durable, missing just one game the past four seasons. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Alan Branch sees the wealth of talent on the Buffalo Bills' defensive line and senses a great opportunity. 

The 6-foot-6, 325-pound defensive tackle said he received interest from the Jacksonville JaguarsMinnesota Vikings and New England Patriots in free agency. But the chance to play alongside defensive end Mario Williams and fellow defensive tackles Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus stood out in his decision to sign with Buffalo this week. 

[+] Enlarge 
    Alan Branch
    Kirby Lee/Image of Sport-USA TODAY Sports New Bills defensive tackle Alan Branch says he's "at home" in either a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive alignment. “All those guys are already established,” Branch said in a telephone interview with ESPN.com's AFC East blog. “And I'm going to go there and show that I can play too, and they can trust that I’m going to do my job within the system.” 

Branch is one of just three free-agent signings Buffalo has made this offseason. Unlike their 2012 spending spree, the Bills have carefully selected players they think can make an immediate impact. Branch joins veteran linebacker Manny Lawson and quarterback Kevin Kolb in Buffalo's 2013 free-agent class. 

The move to add Branch, 28, makes sense. The former Seattle Seahawk is a quality run-stopper who has experience in both 3-4 and 4-3 defensive alignments. Branch said he feels "at home" with either. 

New Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine aims to run a hybrid scheme -- and to fix a run defense that ranked 31st last season. 

“I think it’s a good fit for both sides,” said Branch's agent, Blake Baratz of Institute for Athletes. “Alan is a big, athletic body who has a lot of good football in front of him. And the Bills want to play a hybrid scheme and has trouble stopping the run. 

“I’ve always been a big believer that you have to start inside out, and there’s an opportunity there to make a difference.” 

Branch also comes to Buffalo with a much-needed winner’s mentality. The Bills have the NFL’s longest playoff drought at 14 years. Branch played on multiple playoff teams with Seattle and the Arizona Cardinals, including the 2008 Arizona team that lost to Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl. 

Despite changes at head coach (Doug Marrone) and quarterback (Kolb or Tarvaris Jackson), Branch said the Bills made it clear during his visit that they are not approaching 2013 as a rebuilding year. 

“They definitely don't sound like they're starting things over," Branch explained. "The way it sounded to me is the Bills are bringing in pieces to get them over that hump. They already started that rebuilding, and now they're putting pieces in place for us to get around the corner."

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

For what the Pats are willing to spend the best they can hope for is JAG, some one over the hill, or some with a medical question.

Branch has the size, experience and he is only 28. I thought he could have been a good fit. 

You don't really get what's going on here.  You can get a rotational/spot guy for less than 3 million and someone who is every bit as good as a guy who had his best year entering FA.

Branch probably wants to be a 3 down player and he wouldn't be that here if BB goes DT in Rd 1 of this draft. And, you don't spend 3 million on a rotational guy when you have other needs.

Let the Bills be the Bills and let BB work his usual offseason magic between the draft and FA.

You think every player that signs on another AFC team, while completely overpaid on the market, is a good fit.

You don't spend 3 million on a rotational defensive lineman? News to me, we spent 4 million on Shaun Ellis (who was 34 years old at the time). We spent another two million on Haynesworth, who basically sat and rotated. 

Again, different market.  Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time.  It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

This is what you don't get and resfuse to learn. I think it's a little odd that you're an adult, a teacher, and you can't learn from others who understand these concepts better than you, but that's another story.

Any GM wildly spending or overpaying into this lockout of 2011 is a moron and now fired (or will be fired).

It's why no team wildly spent (cap total) in the uncapped 2010 season.   They didn't pull a NY Yankees with baseball budgeting 101 because they had no clue what the new cap structure would be.

Rememebr all these dopes, maybe even you, running around here in 2010 calling Kraft cheap and it's an "uncapped year" and all that? Yeah, and who was the one was in here trying to explain that the owners are basically colluding to not lose leverage in the CBA negotiations. If one dopey team like the Skins or Cowboys (both actually did spend the highest, but not way out of control enough to lose leverage in the negotiations), wildly overspent, say 50 million more, the union would have pointed to that as a tool in the negotiations to get a better cap position in the life of the new CBA.

I've explained this to you 100 times and you and you buddies still don't get it. The only person who should be mad at Ellis not playing better at 4 million is Bob Kraft. That's it.

BB paid all his key base guys (Mankins, Brady, Mayo, Wilfork, etc) and then he sat and waited for he new CBA to come forward. He had cash, hit on some guys (Anderson. Carter, Waters, etc) and traded for two more where missed (Hayneswoth, Ocho) absorbing that salary.

But, again, even though he missed there, you should be applauding the idea he's in that financia position to even be able to do that!  That's the point. You and RKarp and unfortunately MANY others you have corrupted here with your trolling tactics, are now on your side. But, all of you don't get it.  You might be good at filling cupcake tins, but on this stuff, it's way over your head.

Then again, Ellis was one of the 3 DTs, including the never mentioned who played well here in a rotation (Gerard Warren), on that bench with Wilfork in SB 46 when Welkie dropped that ball on that high throw from Brady.  I'll never forget the looks on their faces, because their reaction was mine.   But, that's another story. lol

So, you and NO ONE would even be caring how much Ellis got in the 1 year here if he was now walking around with a SB ring on his finger right now, aling with Warren, Andre Carter or Mark Anderson.

Once teams (Think the NY Jets who are led by morons) saw the new CBA parameters, they said "oh crap, we'd like to keep Andre Carter or keep so and so, but we can't".

This market right now cannot be compared to the one pre lockout.

You and RKarp have basically led a charge to repeat the same ignorant things on this board for a while, and you do have some followers, but you have been wrong the whole time. There's a lot more that goes into this than just wanting a player because you think he is good on another team and we have a hole to fill here.

I would not be shocked AT ALL, at all, if the Patriots have an intern, maybe an actual position with the team, maybe it was part of what Floyd Reese did, where they run numbers on team's cap positions as a way to leverage their cap position.

We know the dumb ones (Jets, Cowboys, Skins, Bears, etc), but there are always a handful of teams who screwed up in that one year (GB in 2011, NOs in 2012), where they're in a cap pinch and BB can literally pick up the phone, call those GMs, and get a feeling if those players are availabel in a trade or be cut.

You act like this is bad personnel management and it's just brilliant. 

Any Pats fan not getting the big picture or refusing to learn, is ignorant a troll or both. It's getting old.

The millisecond BB retires, expect a long way down. But, I can guarantee you this: When Jonathan Kraft looks for the next BB, he'll be looking for a guy who can be a GM just like BB.

I must admit I only read to this point...
    Again, different market. Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time. It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

I will just imagine you went on another delusional rant about the salary cap, lockout, money management, college, Brady, fiscal responsibility, defensive rebuild, value, depth building, team building, low risk...high reward, warnings were out people, abnormal bs.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that most defensive linemen are rotational players - this is not a new technique - you rotate your 300 pound D linemen in. Hopefully they are good players. What did we pay Fenene last year? Was he going to be a rotational player? I think he very much was because his size and history indicated that he was best as a situational inside rusher on passing downs. I'm not saying we should of signed Branch, I am saying 3 million is not a lot for a quality defensive lineman to rotate in.

MtHurl. I agree, some one under 30 that can play the interior. Obviously it won't be Branch, he signed with Buffalo. Pats showed interest, and I wonder if they offered $2-2.5 and lost Branch for small money?

I know Reiss loved Branch, and he is looking into the $$$ if he can. 

Rusty, I see on Mthurls post you are replying to my posts. I  Have you on ignore, please put me on your ignore as well so that the board is not subjected to you arguing with me, the board will appreciate it and be better off with out you following me around to argue. Thanks....maybe we battle over in the Red Sox area once I get back from vacation.....maybe mid May or so.

Well I hope they didn't lose out on a guy they wanted over say 500k...I think stuff like that is what has been hurting this team.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

This is Myron Pryor's year (if he doesn't get hurt tripping over the hash marks).

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

For what the Pats are willing to spend the best they can hope for is JAG, some one over the hill, or some with a medical question.

Branch has the size, experience and he is only 28. I thought he could have been a good fit. 

You don't really get what's going on here.  You can get a rotational/spot guy for less than 3 million and someone who is every bit as good as a guy who had his best year entering FA.

Branch probably wants to be a 3 down player and he wouldn't be that here if BB goes DT in Rd 1 of this draft. And, you don't spend 3 million on a rotational guy when you have other needs.

Let the Bills be the Bills and let BB work his usual offseason magic between the draft and FA.

You think every player that signs on another AFC team, while completely overpaid on the market, is a good fit.

You don't spend 3 million on a rotational defensive lineman? News to me, we spent 4 million on Shaun Ellis (who was 34 years old at the time). We spent another two million on Haynesworth, who basically sat and rotated. 

Again, different market.  Plus, once he saw the lockout paramaters, he had some cash to play with. It's who was available at the time.  It's not like there was some really good vetern atsrter at DT or 3-4 DE who was available. They traded for Haynesworth, which for a 5th rd pick is a risk I would absolutely take in that position. It didn't work, but who else was availble at DT or DE going into the lockout?

This is what you don't get and resfuse to learn. I think it's a little odd that you're an adult, a teacher, and you can't learn from others who understand these concepts better than you, but that's another story.

Any GM wildly spending or overpaying into this lockout of 2011 is a moron and now fired (or will be fired).

It's why no team wildly spent (cap total) in the uncapped 2010 season.   They didn't pull a NY Yankees with baseball budgeting 101 because they had no clue what the new cap structure would be.

Rememebr all these dopes, maybe even you, running around here in 2010 calling Kraft cheap and it's an "uncapped year" and all that? Yeah, and who was the one was in here trying to explain that the owners are basically colluding to not lose leverage in the CBA negotiations. If one dopey team like the Skins or Cowboys (both actually did spend the highest, but not way out of control enough to lose leverage in the negotiations), wildly overspent, say 50 million more, the union would have pointed to that as a tool in the negotiations to get a better cap position in the life of the new CBA.

I've explained this to you 100 times and you and you buddies still don't get it. The only person who should be mad at Ellis not playing better at 4 million is Bob Kraft. That's it.

BB paid all his key base guys (Mankins, Brady, Mayo, Wilfork, etc) and then he sat and waited for he new CBA to come forward. He had cash, hit on some guys (Anderson. Carter, Waters, etc) and traded for two more where missed (Hayneswoth, Ocho) absorbing that salary.

But, again, even though he missed there, you should be applauding the idea he's in that financia position to even be able to do that!  That's the point. You and RKarp and unfortunately MANY others you have corrupted here with your trolling tactics, are now on your side. But, all of you don't get it.  You might be good at filling cupcake tins, but on this stuff, it's way over your head.

Then again, Ellis was one of the 3 DTs, including the never mentioned who played well here in a rotation (Gerard Warren), on that bench with Wilfork in SB 46 when Welkie dropped that ball on that high throw from Brady.  I'll never forget the looks on their faces, because their reaction was mine.   But, that's another story. lol

So, you and NO ONE would even be caring how much Ellis got in the 1 year here if he was now walking around with a SB ring on his finger right now, aling with Warren, Andre Carter or Mark Anderson.

Once teams (Think the NY Jets who are led by morons) saw the new CBA parameters, they said "oh crap, we'd like to keep Andre Carter or keep so and so, but we can't".

This market right now cannot be compared to the one pre lockout.

You and RKarp have basically led a charge to repeat the same ignorant things on this board for a while, and you do have some followers, but you have been wrong the whole time. There's a lot more that goes into this than just wanting a player because you think he is good on another team and we have a hole to fill here.

I would not be shocked AT ALL, at all, if the Patriots have an intern, maybe an actual position with the team, maybe it was part of what Floyd Reese did, where they run numbers on team's cap positions as a way to leverage their cap position.

We know the dumb ones (Jets, Cowboys, Skins, Bears, etc), but there are always a handful of teams who screwed up in that one year (GB in 2011, NOs in 2012), where they're in a cap pinch and BB can literally pick up the phone, call those GMs, and get a feeling if those players are availabel in a trade or be cut.

You act like this is bad personnel management and it's just brilliant. 

Any Pats fan not getting the big picture or refusing to learn, is ignorant a troll or both. It's getting old.

The millisecond BB retires, expect a long way down. But, I can guarantee you this: When Jonathan Kraft looks for the next BB, he'll be looking for a guy who can be a GM just like BB.

Cullen Jenkins made 4 million in 2011... 3m bonus $ and a 1m base... I called for him that whole offseason and would 100% rather have spent that money on him than traded for Haynesworth. He also had 3-4 experience in GB... Fat Albert was known to be best as a 4-3 DT... he hated playing nose and was too fat and slow to be a 3-4 DE.

Branch being a fit in NE is neither here nor there if the point is that BB spends around 3m a year ALL THE TIME on rotational front 7 guys who do next to nothing... between Burgess, Ellis, Haynesworth and Fanene Bill has added lame veterans in the 2-4m range every year for the past 4 years. Had he just upping the ante and gotten a real good front 7 addition in the 5-7m range... when the team had the money...Pats  could have probably won the '11 and maybe the '12 Super Bowls.

Bill has had solid offseasons but has hardly aced them... as each draft features 1-2 questionable picks when players who quickly prove to be the solid contributors members of this board knew they would be get passed over, a FA like Goldson, who probably would have made sure we won the '11 SB, is allowed to visit and leave (this year its Abraham/Freeney although they are old anf still unsigned) and the veteran line additions are mediocre and end up stealing from the team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to LessPhatRex's comment:

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I'd be willing to guess that BB is wiklling to pass on some of these guys because they plan on picking one or two DT's in the draft, which is one position he loves to take early, and that they can provide what a Branch can provide, and maybe for much less money and cap space.

There really are alot of fat boy types available in the draft this year....they just cut one prodigious fat boy - Brace - last year

Didn't you hear?  It's a better idea to overpay in a bloated DT market, and a very deep DT draft, for a JAG who can only play the 4-3!

I hear it's the deepest DT draft in 25 years.

That's not the point. Branch is a player that is 28 years old and fits a specific need for the Pats. The Pats showed interest, in spite of Rusty saying they didn't.  Branch can play both the 3/4 and 4/3 in spite of Rusty saying he can't. Branch stays on the field. At $3m he could have been a perfect fit to spell Vince, and play in a rotation of Lovie, Deadrick, Armstead and Vince keeping everyone fresh.

the other point is that the Pats again have drawn that line in the sand that they will not exceed. While I do not know the numbers, if Branch signed for $3 and the Pats offered $1, I understand it was not a match. But if Branch signed for $3 and the Pats offered $2, I have to think there is some middle ground that could have bright the player to New England. 

The last point is as usual Rusty is wrong on all counts. Branch can play both schemes. Branch does stay on the field every game. The Pats did show interest. 

my thought was sign a player like BRanch. Get him in the system. Feel him out for 1 year. At 28 years old, maybe he turns into a 3-4 year signing as Lovie and Deadrick are coming due. It also takes the pressure off of the #1 or 2 to take a DL....

I guess we are going to have to get used to seeing a 33-35 year old DL like Kelly or Abe for 1 year and hope they still have something left in the tank. But the facts are Ty Warren at the end could not stay on the field here or in Denver. Ellis, Albert, Fanene. Carter got on the field for most of1 season, but then went down again. Gerard Warren was able to help the rotation for a partial season, but was cut last year....enough with these over 32 years old DL.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'd be willing to guess that BB is wiklling to pass on some of these guys because they plan on picking one or two DT's in the draft, which is one position he loves to take early, and that they can provide what a Branch can provide, and maybe for much less money and cap space.

There really are alot of fat boy types available in the draft this year....they just cut one prodigious fat boy - Brace - last year

Didn't you hear?  It's a better idea to overpay in a bloated DT market, and a very deep DT draft, for a JAG who can only play the 4-3!

Hmmm Russ...now this doesn't make much sense. You would rather pay Ellis 4m , who wasn't going to give you much because of age, and not pay branch 3m who is 28, and could be a nice DT next to Vince when we run a 4 man line? Why was the Ellis signing better than branch potentially coming to town For a mil less?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

The market is going to be for the remaining free agents $2-3m if the player is under 30 and $1-3m if the player is over 30. 

Pats need to sign some one that could be here a few years, as Lovie and Deadrick are coming up on the end of deals, and Vince has a lot of wear on the tread.

35 year old Abraham at $2m is not as attractive IMO as 28 years old Branch at $3m. 

Signing a DL takes the pressure off taking a DL #1 in the draft, and focusing on CB, DE, WR and interior OL

I don't care if Abraham will be 35 next year or not. If for 2 million for 1 year he wants to come in here and play a starter or sub role (more of a 4-3 3rd down rusher guy), and try go win a ring for the first time in his career, then I am all for it and Branch can wallow away up in crappy Buffalo.

You lecturing people here on the market is as comical, I am sure not just for me either.

I would almost argue that Buffalo OVERPAID for Branch in this market.  But, Abraham, an All Pro type need here at 4-3 DE is something I'd go up to 2 million in 2013 for.

Okoye couldn't be resigned by Chicago at 2 million, so they fly in some hack and get a body in there at 1 million to save 1 million.

That's how poorly run some of these teams are, the ones SOME here were raving about being better than ours into that lockout.

That's why some of these players wanted a fresh long term deal prior to the lockout (think Randy Moss at the podium after Week 1 in 2010, lashing out for his contract).

You seem to struggle with basic economic concepts. Alan Branch just got the most money he could and it happened to be from a desperate Buffalo team who isn't that happy with Dareus.

King, I am not crazy about Abraham - long in the tooth - but agree with you that he is worth 2 million to see if he can help us with the pass rush for one year.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Rusty quote:

"Didn't you hear?  It's a better idea to overpay in a bloated DT market, and a very deep DT draft, for a JAG who can only play the 4-3!"

=Rusty wrong again!

Rusty quote:

"The Pats "showed interest"? I don't believe a word you say. Not a word." Is Lombardi "mulling over an offer from the Jets" and does "Edelman have a contract offer" AFTER it was reported he left the Giants without one?

lol

NEWSFLASH: Cris Carter is a moron and has no idea what the Pats are doing, who they are talking to in FA, or anything.

=Rusty wrong yet again!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree, I think this is what the plan is

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.