Panic Much?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Panic Much?

So we lose one player in our secondary who had been injured for the vast majority of the preseason, and we're ready to panic? And it shouldn't go W/O mention that we made the Saints and Falcons passing games looking elementary - with no game-planning whatsoever.

Devin McCourty will develop into a starting corner. The guy has shown the ability to play physically at the L.O.S., and he has also shown the ability to fly and play the ball. This guy reminds me of a more athletic Ty Law.

As for Butler, things are less certain with him, but he looked good last year, and other than the Rams game, he's looked fine, in fact he hadn't been tested until the Rams game. What does that mean? It means that he was locking down his side of the field.

Does losing Bodden hurt? Absolutely - I won't argue that. What I will argue though is that this team is still perfectly capable of making a deep playoff run. We all know that this offense can and will carry this team - simple as that. The defensive front is solid aside from the OLB position opposite of Tully, but hopefully Cunningham can work his way in there, or hopefully Burgess can play with some emotion. We still have Meriweather, we still have Chung, the "head hunter" and we still have two very bright young, athletic corners.

Let's all settle down folks. This loss hurts us, but no player is above the team. I still remember back in '03 or '04 when Troy Brown was playing corner. We won the Superbowl that year.

Ultimately, we still have a very competitive team, and we still have a competitive secondary. 

If this team was a super-bowl caliber team prior to this, they're a super-bowl caliber team after this - no one injury can affect any team, aside from the QB position.

We still have Brady, we still have Randy, we still have Wes, we still have Big Vince. This team will be perfectly fine - McCourty can play and Butler has shown flashes. 

This could be much worse.

Next man up - time to go win us a super-bowl.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Panic Much?

McCourty can play and Butler has shown flashes. 

So you like McCourty better than Butler?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

look its obvious you want me to say, yhea dude no biggie the defense that DID NOT EVEN COMPETE WITH EVEN A SINGLE, A GRADE OFFENSE last year just lost arguably one of the best player, and its all goona just as good or even better right.

I don't think I can do that.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Completely agree. The defense last year wasn't too bad. It kept us in games, aside from that New Orleans game on the road. All we've done for the defense is lock up the really valuable players, add some depth, and given our younger players another year in the system. Not to mention, a whole training camp as well.

Brady is fully recovered from the injury. Randy is in a contract year. All signs point to Welker playing Week 1 and he's in his comeback mode. With at least one of the three tight ends panning out for us, that position will make contributions. Our running game won't be anythign spectacular but we need enough of it to show opposing defenses that we have it and to setup play-action. Without a doubt, we're asking our offense to carry the team. And to be honest, our offense could be enough if our line holds up pretty well. Last year, the Saints were a passing attack and they made it to the Super Bowl. The Colts were strictly a passing attack with the worst rushing offense in the league and they still made it to the Super Bowl.

I don't even take the Jets seriously. Dolphins are more formidable to me than the Jets. The Ravens will be around but I think their secondary is suspect and the defense is aging. The Colts will be around. The Chargers will be the Chargers. And of course, you'll have this year's surprise team somewhere.

Belichick teams gain momentum after Thanksgiving and really peak going into the playoffs. Right now, the rookies on offense aren't even aware of all the plays we could be running; with 30 practices down and about 90 more to go, you'd think Bill will be opening up the playbook a bit.

Look at the Patriots of years past. They've never ever, under Belichick's regime, used injuries as an excuse. It's simply 'next man up.'

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

To everyone that writing us off, feel free to doubt the team. I'm just giving my opinion.

If you want to doubt this team and be surprised later on, feel free. I'm confident in Butler and McCourty. If you're not, that's fine, but I respectfully disagree.

PhatRex, shouldn't you be worrying about better things? Like Revis? I'd take Butler and McCourty over Cromartie and Wilson any day of the week.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

To this day, I just don't get why fans of other teams are here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

In Response to Re: Panic Much?:
    [QUOTE]To everyone that writing us off, feel free to doubt the team. I'm just giving my opinion. If you want to doubt this team and be surprised later on, feel free. I'm confident in Butler and McCourty. If you're not, that's fine, but I respectfully disagree. PhatRex, shouldn't you be worrying about better things? Like Revis? I'd take Butler and McCourty over Cromartie and Wilson any day of the week.

Posted by vertigho[/QUOTE]

McCourty is a future star i agree but dude come on butler, the entire pre season we was one step behind. I know u want to believe cauz all that we achieved in the last decade but... You are wrong if you think this is not a huge blow, I think as big as the Ty warren's loss.

I'm not writing em off or saying they can't come back. But this is not to be ignored, we have to sign someone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

What people can't seem to grasp in that we frustrated Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. We frustrated the Saints and the Falcons, and this was all without Leigh.

This team has always had the short-end of the stick when it comes to injuries. What do we do? We have the next man step up and play. Anytime that someone would get injured, we'd instantly be written off - even in our Super-Bowl days.

Who cares what ESPN thinks? Hell, who cares what I think - who cares what we think. What matters is what Belichick thinks, and based on past situations, I think that he'll be able to turn our young, athletic secondary into a strong part of our team.

Guys - we have two athletic guys that have looked very good so far in their short NFL careers playing at starting CB. We don't have Wilhite, Wheatley, or even Troy Brown.

We have two athletic players that have shown they can play. 

They have looked very good in the preseason (aside from the Rams game). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panic Much? :   McCourty is a future star i agree but dude come on butler I know u want to believe cauz all that we achieved in the last decade but... You are wrong if you think this is not a huge blow, I think as big as the Ty warren's loss.
    Posted by akius[/QUOTE]

I won't argue that this loss hurts us, but I don't think that this team is suddenly terrible without Bodden. It's not like every player is suddenly going to forget how to play football just because he's gone.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

V, it was preseason, it meant nothing to stop them.  Yes the rooks are pretty good, but we are ailing in many spots.  I see us winning the division and losing in the 1st rd sadly.  I just hope we beat the jets in NY and Indy at home, why because I will be at both games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panic Much? : I won't argue that this loss hurts us, but I don't think that this team is suddenly terrible without Bodden. It's not like every player is suddenly going to forget how to play football just because he's gone.

Its not the team I'm talking about, half of our team can carry us to the superbowl. The offense can put 30 points on any defense, rain or sleet and 30 points should win you most of the games but tell me honestly do you think we can contain Ravens, Cinci, Chargers, Vikings, Steelers, Colts and Aaron Rodgers within 30 points?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Vertigho  - Preseason means nothing unless it's injury related like Bodden. Period. It's fine to be optimistic. It's retarded to use preseason for the reason why.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panic Much? : Of course you would, that's what makes you saying it so much more funny.  How do you explain the Pats 26th ranked pass D to the Jets top 5 pass D this preseason?  I would love to have Revis back, he is the difference between a very good defense and a historically great defense.  
    Posted by PhatRex[/QUOTE]

dude why are you here, seriously we talk about our team here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panic Much? : Its not the team I'm talking about, half of our team can carry us to the superbowl. The offense can put 30 points on any defense, rain or sleet and 30 points should win you most of the games but tell me honestly do you think we can contain Ravens, Cinci, Chargers, Vikings, Steelers, Colts and Aaron Rodgers within 30 points?
    Posted by akius[/QUOTE]

We'll have an off-game, just like every team does, but to answer your question:

Do I think that we can contain the majority of those teams, and hold them to under 30 points?

Absolutely.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from akius. Show akius's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panic Much? : We'll have an off-game, just like every team does, but to answer your question: Do I think that we can contain the majority of those teams, and hold them to under 30 points? Absolutely.

I don't but I hope you're right.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

Well the secondary looked excellent in the first two preseason games, then Bodden plays in the third, and it looked like a flag football secondary.  That's what happens when DB's play injured.  I think the young DB's can handle the task if there is any resemblence of a pass rush.  Hopefully, BB will be willing to send some corner blitzes, and utilize the safety for some coverage.  If the young guys are quicker, then this could help pressure the QB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Well the secondary looked excellent in the first two preseason games, then Bodden plays in the third, and it looked like a flag football secondary.  That's what happens when DB's play injured.  I think the young DB's can handle the task if there is any resemblence of a pass rush.  Hopefully, BB will be willing to send some corner blitzes, and utilize the safety for some coverage.  If the young guys are quicker, then this could help pressure the QB.
    Posted by jmmyslinski[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking Bill will send those blitzes but obviously, in the preseason you don't want to show your hand. And if you really watch the Rams game, the pass rush was there. It wasn't Giants/Super Bowl 42, but Bradford was rushed plenty and he hurried many of his throws. I think we'll be fine.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

BB won't panic but- 1st,  the D line, is Wilfolk, and unknowns. other than Wright . 2010 pass rush as absent as in 2009, putting further onus of osb TBS on one side, and unknowns, BURGESS, or rookies at the other. At cb, BUTLER, WILHITE, WHEATLEY and rookie MCOURTY. the first 3, as a group, were beaten often, missed assignments and tackles, last year. The rookie, a 2010 unknown quantity. The safety position has 2 vets SANDERS and MCGOWAN, who play okay as backups, but MERIWEATHER and CHUNG are big ?????, showing immaturity and being distracted, too often to be counted on for stabilizing a
    almost choatic situation, with the D backfield without i's most steady vet in
    LEE BODDEN, gone for the season. The Patriot D is in trouble. Worse- and without  LEADERSHIP, NOW ESSENTIAL WHEN IT IS  NEEDED MOST.    

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"If this team was a super-bowl caliber team prior to this, they're a super-bowl caliber team after this"

I agree - except I don't think they are a super bowl caliber team. I'd put them in a second tier of teams that have a very good chance to make the playoffs but not a very good chance to win the Super Bowl. 

Having said that it's a long season and I am more than willing to revise my prediction up and down. And certainly in the playoffs you don't want to mess with Tom Brady. 

I think actually our biggest challenge will not be with teams that have excellent offenses, but with teams that have excellent defenses. If a team can hold us to 14 or 17 points we're not going to win a lot of those games in my opinion. 

But yeah, if McCourty turns out to be a more athletic Ty Law we're all set!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]" If this team was a super-bowl caliber team prior to this, they're a super-bowl caliber team after this" I agree - except I don't think they are a super bowl caliber team. I'd put them in a second tier of teams that have a very good chance to make the playoffs but not a very good chance to win the Super Bowl.  Having said that it's a long season and I am more than willing to revise my prediction up and down. And certainly in the playoffs you don't want to mess with Tom Brady.  I think actually our biggest challenge will not be with teams that have excellent offenses, but with teams that have excellent defenses. If a team can hold us to 14 or 17 points we're not going to win a lot of those games in my opinion.  But yeah, if McCourty turns out to be a more athletic Ty Law we're all set!
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

To me, that's the dilemma for opposing defenses. Can you really keep this team under 17 points regularly? I don't think you can.

I see this offense going on very long, methodical drives, eating clock and then giving the defense a chance to go after the QB a little bit. Basically, we're going to dare other teams to keep up with our scoring like 2007, except this offense will be a bit more potent with Fred Taylor and three tight ends that not only catch but also protect the QB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

we havent had a good secondary in sometime.so we should be use to it.if the un proven corners can shine,then its iceing on the cake.if they dont,we shouldnt panic.the same with a pass rush.if its better this year its great news,if not,its nothing we havent been through.it just means,the offense will have to carry the defense all the way.not an easy feat from last years results.lets hope a lot of the players surprise this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from theshinez. Show theshinez's posts

In Response to Panic Much?:
    [QUOTE]So we lose one player in our secondary who had been injured for the vast majority of the preseason, and we're ready to panic? (THose of us who are not homers have been "pannicing" the whole offseason after BB wouldn't get any pass rushers )And it shouldn't go W/O mention that we made the Saints and Falcons passing games looking elementary - with no game-planning whatsoever. Devin McCourty will develop into a starting corner. The guy has shown the ability to play physically at the L.O.S., and he has also shown the ability to fly and play the ball. This guy reminds me of a more athletic Ty Law. As for Butler, things are less certain with him, but he looked good last year, and other than the Rams game, he's looked fine, in fact he hadn't been tested until the Rams game. What does that mean? It means that he was locking down his side of the field. Does losing Bodden hurt? Absolutely - I won't argue that. What I will argue though is that this team is still perfectly capable of making a deep playoff run. We all know that this offense can and will carry this team - simple as that. The defensive front is solid ( are you serious? with Ty out and NO ONE to replace Jarvis or Symour, we have no pash rush and no run D)aside from the OLB position opposite of Tully, but hopefully Cunningham can work his way in there,(Ya, right BB will play a rookie at the hardest position to learn on the team!) or hopefully Burgess can play with some emotion. We still have Meriweather, we still have Chung, the "head hunter" and we still have two very bright young, athletic corners. (One good and one unproven hard hitter at Safety don't make up for all the holes in the D) Let's all settle down folks. This loss hurts us, but no player is above the team. I still remember back in '03 or '04 when Troy Brown was playing corner. We won the Superbowl that year. Ultimately, we still have a very competitive team, and we still have a competitive secondary(ya, all two of them).  If this team was a super-bowl caliber team prior to this, they're a super-bowl caliber team after this - no one injury can affect any team,(UMM, I'll refer you to Brady in '08 Welker in '09) aside from the QB position. We still have Brady, we still have Randy, we still have Wes, we still have Big Vince. This team will be perfectly fine - McCourty can play and Butler has shown flashes.  This could be much worse. Next man up - time to go win us a super-bowl.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

We just need Wheatley to grow up and start performing like he is capable of. He just got reborn, another chance. Don't panic is right. Let the Defense come along by Game 8 and make a serious run at the Super Bowl