Panthers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Panthers @ Patriots REPORT CARD

In Response to Re: Panthers @ Patriots REPORT CARD:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panthers @ Patriots REPORT CARD : I am sorry that the Panthers have issues .....well.. not really..This not make me feel better about the Patriots. We still have issues - pass rush, 3rd receiver, pass-protection, run blocking  etc. etc.

RESPONSE: Amen. But, I thought it was interesting to mention the Carolina mess. Could the Panthers eventually be LA bound? 

Getting back to the Pats, I'm getting extremely irritated at the way the  media is attacking Randy Moss. He is not the reason why the Pats haven't been consistently winning. As you correctly pointed out, lack of a pass rush, lack of a WR to play opposite of Randy, and poor OL line are the main culprits. 

However, I am getting a little less worried about 3rd receiver - I think we may be able to cover that with better/different play selection. Seems like both Aiken and Watson are both making good plays - while we wait for the perfect WR, can we use these two more in our plays? In addition, Stanbach and Edelman (inspite of yesterday) seemed to show promise. Do you think we have explored these options well?

RESPONSE: We've been waiting for Watson and Aiken to "blossom" all  season. Though the coaching staff has tried to get them more involved, they can't cut it on a consistent basis.

Edelman was been somewhat effective during the very limited time that he's been healthy. But, he's more of a Welker-type slot receiver, than a pure WR. Stanbach looks the part...but has shown nothing. 

People wonder how it is that the Indianapolis Colts have become so dominant this year.  There are two main reasons. They have two top notch edge pass-rushers in Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis...and they discovered a great young talent to compliment WR Reggie Wayne, and replace Marvin Harrison...Pierre Garcon.

Garcon is one of the most underrated players in the NFL. He has transformed the Indy offense into the machine that it used to be. Add a Garcon to the Patriots, and it would be 2007 all over again.    

On another topic, I wonder what we can get for trading Adalius ??

RESPONSE: Thomas is radioactive. If the Pats release him, they'll take a $7mil. cap hit...something they currently can't absorb. They can't trade him next season, as no team will accept a $5mil. price tag on a declining 34 year old OLB, with an attitude. My guess is that we've seen the last of Thomas in a Patriots' uniform. I expect the Pats to release him in 2010, the uncapped season...so as to  avoid any negative consequences (no cap=no cap hit).

Can we fix any of the other needs?

RESPONSE: The OL can be improved by starting Sebastien Vollmer at RT, and moving Nick Kaczur to RG. The return of RB Fred Taylor should improve the running game. TE Ben Watson is overrated. No help on the horizon at 3rd WR...although Edelman should be able to give Wes Welker a breather from time to time.   

Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Glad to hear that BB strongly defended Randy Moss today from charges that he "quit on the team", or is dogging it: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/14/belichick-defends-moss-fires-back-at-panthers/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

A win, next!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

After sitting out the Carolina game, will BB afford Adalius Thomas another chance? Has Adalius finally got it? Though no apology was specifically mentioned in his latest comments, I get the impression that he knows he screwed up: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post?id=4672477

Should BB give him another chance?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

carolina is not going to LA   but they will be changing coaches . hello cowher

I think BB just may give AT another chance!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]  A gutsy effort by Brady : Tom Brady clearly had health issue -- Ribs, finger, maybe even more than that -- going into this one. And he missed a couple throws he might've otherwise made. But he stood in the pocket like nothing was wrong, even as the Panthers got heat. A remarkable effort that probably won't get the credit it merits. http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/ I give the quarterback an A+
    Posted by NEGAME[/QUOTE]

I agree GAMER, Brady deserves an A+ for Character and Gutsy Effort...... I noticed the same, he stood in the pocket a few times to take the hit.  Even the previous week on Randy Moss' long bomb TD catch.... Brady took a HUGE hit for the team and his team-mate Moss.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

[QUOTE]     After sitting out the Carolina game, will BB afford Adalius Thomas another chance? Has Adalius finally got it? Though no apology was specifically mentioned in his latest comments, I get the impression that he knows he screwed up: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post?id=4672477      Should BB give him another chance?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

BB almost has to sit Thomas to maintain his control of the team....  Would be nice if Thomas came back with a Vengence, however, I dont see it... he has checked out... and surely will not want to get hurt in his last few games as a PAT.....  Only way Thomas gets back in if we get a few injuries at LB.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

TP your post about the Moss "blueprint" is spot on, and that has ultimately freed up Welker to have a monster year.  The constant double-team of Moss, or help over the top has all but eliminated his ability to go deep.  That is forcing the Pats hand, and it was nice to see BW step up in the 2nd half of this game.  While I do agree it would be nice to find a viable 3rd WR - I wonder how they went so far in 2006 with Blinky, Gaffney, and Brown.  Who is the true deep threat amongst that tandem?  Was that great coaching or Brady's tremendous ability?  Probably a combo of the above, that is what is puzzling to me about the 3rd WR in this bunch.  Even in 2007 Stallworth lost his starting position to Gaffney in the second half of that season.  It continues to be a mystery, and one that will has to be resolved in the offseason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Hey TEX,  how do you think Moss will respond this week in Buffalo?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TP your post about the Moss "blueprint" is spot on, and that has ultimately freed up Welker to have a monster year.  The constant double-team of Moss, or help over the top has all but eliminated his ability to go deep.  That is forcing the Pats hand, and it was nice to see BW step up in the 2nd half of this game.  While I do agree it would be nice to find a viable 3rd WR - I wonder how they went so far in 2006 with Blinky, Gaffney, and Brown.

RESPONSE: A different team, with a better defense, better OL, and a healthy Tom Brady. While none of those 3 WRs were Randy Moss-like, all three were competent, and built a rapport with Brady as the season went on.

Who is the true deep threat amongst that tandem?

RESPONSE: Caldwell.

Was that great coaching or Brady's tremendous ability?  Probably a combo of the above, that is what is puzzling to me about the 3rd WR in this bunch.

RESPONSE: A combination of the two.

Even in 2007 Stallworth lost his starting position to Gaffney in the second half of that season.  It continues to be a mystery, and one that will has to be resolved in the offseason.

RESPONSE: No mystery to it. The top problem is the lack of a pass-rush. If you're watching the 49ers/Cards tonight, you're getting a first hand demonstration on how important a pass rush is. The next problem is that the Pats need to get more physical up front. Too much finesse. Sabastien Vollmer is a step in the right direction. Finally, a quality 3rd WR would give the Pats' offense more versatility...and allow them to be less predictable, Though Stallworth might have ended up as WR 3(b) to Gaffney's 3 (a), having them gave Tom Terrific a ton of options...and made defenses play more honest. 

Posted by DBAZ22[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hey TEX,  how do you think Moss will respond this week in Buffalo?
    Posted by SmokingJoe[/QUOTE]

I expect Randy to explode in Buffalo, as he always does. The Panthers and those idiots in the media have unwittingly done the Pats a huge favor with this "controversy". It may serve as a rallying point for the team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Panthers @ Patriots REPORT CARD :      I expect Randy to explode in Buffalo, as he always does. The Panthers and those idiots in the media have unwittingly done the Pats a huge favor with this "controversy". It may serve as a rallying point for the team.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

That would be just the perfect Christmas gift !!!!

Sections
Shortcuts