Panthers Peppers Problem Possibly Projects in Patriots' Plans?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Panthers Peppers Problem Possibly Projects in Patriots' Plans?

Go ahead and try to say that fast 5 times!!

Don't expect Julius Peppers to be a New England Patriot in 2009.

The Carolina Panthers have a huge mess on their hands. It is similar to what the Patriots had to deal with in the Matt Cassel matter. Like Cassel, Peppers is an UFA. Like Cassel, the pro-bowl calibre DE is coming off a very good year, in which he tallied a career high 14.7 sacks. 

Like the Patriots, the Panther were faced with a decision. Do they franchise Peppers, and thereby put themselves on the hook to pay him ungodly money ($16.7 mil.) for the upcoming season? Or, do they let him go...clear his cap space, and move on?

Like the Patriots, they choose the franchise route. But, unlike the Cassel situation, Peppers has complicated matters by refused to sign the $16.7mil. tender. As a result, the Panthers' hands have been tied. They are not allowed to negotiate a possible trade with another team. Only Peppers and his agent, Carl Carey, may do so. Furthermore, unlike Cassel, Peppers has listed only 4 teams for which he is willing to play...with the Patriots being the only AFC team on his list. 

As a result, the Peppers problem has lingered. It has led to a disasterous off-season for the Panthers. Despite the fact that J.P. has failed to sign the offered one year tender, Carolina is nontheless saddled with a $16.7 cap charge. This brought about the release of starting CB Ken Lucas, and starting WR D.J. Hackett, in order to clear cap space. Furthermore, Carolina has lost several valuable reserves to free agency. Cap restricted as they are, they have not been able to replentish the losses by signing other free agents. 

In retrospect, the Panthers would have been far better off by letting Peppers leave. He is 29 years old, and has expressed a desire to play OLB if a 3-4 defense. No team, including the Patriots, is going to pay the huge amount of money that Peppers seeks. The only way a deal will get done is if Peppers agrees to take a reduced rate to play elsewhere. 

As for compensation, who would be willing to part with a premium draft choice for a high priced, 4-3 pro-bowl DE, who, at age 29, wants to convert to an OLB in a 3-4 defense? The only way Carolina can hope to salvage something from this mess is to significantly lower their compensation demands.

What possible solution can be reached? Seemingly, no team will, or should, agree to pay top dollar, and part with a top draft choice, to land JP. As a result, it would appear that the only option for Peppers will be to accept the $16.7mil. tender, and unhappily remain a Carolina Panther.

As for the Panthers, they are left to ponder the highly unlikely scenaio that JP's extreme unhappiness will not affect his play.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4074399   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Re: Panthers Peppers Problem Possibly Projects in Patriots' Plans?

TexPat, I don't want Peppers coming to NE.  while he may be a great player, I don't like the Pats putting so much money into one player or losing valuable draft picks.  The Pats are in a great spot right now, if they work out a deal with J.T., they will have plenty of 2nd rd picks to move in the draft, trade, or just hit bigtime on at least a couple of players. 

As far as Carolina goes, I have a feeling Peppers will stay a Panther.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Great! I don't like Peppers he can't play DE in 3-4 and is unproven as OLB.  Comes at a very expensive price tag and its 29.  Even though he's a proven 4-3 DE we can spend the time teaching the position to one of the nice prospects coming out this year and allow Crable to grow. Peppers will not help Crable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I like Peppers just not the cost.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Pat, pissah post.  This is Peppers career contract.  He should set himself up financially for life this time.  He can give up some money for quality of life (Superbowl ring) but I don’t think he can come down enough to fit in the Pat’s plans. 

Pardon me for stating the obvious but the Panther’s predicament with Peppers points out the possible predicament the Pat’s could have been in with Cassel.  (I guess you pointed that out) I recognize there are differences in the two situations but that would warrant a separate thread. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Warrior:

Considering that Peppers has $16.7mil. on the table for 2009 alone, I don't see how the Pats could come close to satisfying his monetary demands...even if he takes a pay cut. 

Even if a reasonable contract could be reached, the Pats would still have to reach an agreement on compensation with the Panthers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]Pat, pissah post.   This is Peppers career contract.   He should set himself up financially for life this time.   He can give up some money for quality of life (Superbowl ring) but I don’t think he can come down enough to fit in the Pat’s plans.   Pardon me for stating the obvious but the Panther’s predicament with Peppers points out the possible predicament the Pat’s could have been in with Cassel.   (I guess you pointed that out) I recognize there are differences in the two situations but that would warrant a separate thread.    
    Posted by bostatewarrior[/QUOTE]
    Is this a joke or what?  So getting 7 mil a year vs 12 year will not be considered getting set up for life?  Dude that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, paying one person 16.7 mil for 14 sacks is a joke bud even 7 is joke.  He impacts less than have the plays in a game, go sell your rich a@* mentality somewhere else.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Is this a joke or what?  So getting 7 mil a year vs 12 year will not be considered getting set up for life?  Dude that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, paying one person 16.7 mil for 14 sacks is a joke bud even 7 is joke.  He impacts less than have the plays in a game, go sell your rich a@* mentality somewhere else.
    Posted by Pats7393[/QUOTE]

Why are you being rude to this guy? Re-read his post. He agrees with you about Peppers.

The only thing that JP can do to maximize his earnings is to accept the $16.7mil. tender, and seek a long term deal elsewhere in 2010.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[QUOTE]     Why are you being rude to this guy? Re-read his post. He agrees with you about Peppers.      The only thing that JP can do to maximize his earnings is to accept the $16.7mil. tender, and seek a long term deal elsewhere in 2010.
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    That's not how I read it, if I'm reading it wrong sorry but just what I saw read was a suggestion that this year peppers needs to get into a long term deal to be set for life.  My point, if he gets his 16.+ leaves him 8 mil after taxes, commision ect is 8mil not good enough to be set for life if he doesn't play another year in the NFL?  Get upset that a guy that quit on his team two years ago decides to put his all into a contract year to cash in.  If he came in at a mil a year I wouldn't want the  Pats to take him.  Aren't we the team that puts the Team above everything else?  Quiters not accepted.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     Go ahead and try to say that fast 5 times!!      Don't expect Julius Peppers to be a New England Patriot in 2009.      The Carolina Panthers have a huge mess on their hands. It is similar to what the Patriots had to deal with in the Matt Cassel matter. Like Cassel, Peppers is an UFA. Like Cassel, the pro-bowl calibre DE is coming off a very good year, in which he tallied a career high 14.7 sacks.       Like the Patriots, the Panther were faced with a decision. Do they franchise Peppers, and thereby put themselves on the hook to pay him ungodly money ($16.7 mil.) for the upcoming season? Or, do they let him go...clear his cap space, and move on?      Like the Patriots, they choose the franchise route. But, unlike the Cassel situation, Peppers has complicated matters by refused to sign the $16.7mil. tender. As a result, the Panthers' hands have been tied. They are not allowed to negotiate a possible trade with another team. Only Peppers and his agent, Carl Carey, may do so. Furthermore, unlike Cassel, Peppers has listed only 4 teams for which he is willing to play...with the Patriots being the only AFC team on his list.       As a result, the Peppers problem has lingered. It has led to a disasterous off-season for the Panthers. Despite the fact that J.P. has failed to sign the offered one year tender, Carolina is nontheless saddled with a $16.7 cap charge. This brought about the release of starting CB Ken Lucas, and starting WR D.J. Hackett, in order to clear cap space. Furthermore, Carolina has lost several valuable reserves to free agency. Cap restricted as they are, they have not been able to replentish the losses by signing other free agents.       In retrospect, the Panthers would have been far better off by letting Peppers leave. He is 29 years old, and has expressed a desire to play OLB if a 3-4 defense. No team, including the Patriots, is going to pay the huge amount of money that Peppers seeks. The only way a deal will get done is if Peppers agrees to take a reduced rate to play elsewhere.       As for compensation, who would be willing to part with a premium draft choice for a high priced, 4-3 pro-bowl DE, who, at age 29, wants to convert to an OLB in a 3-4 defense? The only way Carolina can hope to salvage something from this mess is to significantly lower their compensation demands.      What possible solution can be reached? Seemingly, no team will, or should, agree to pay top dollar, and part with a top draft choice, to land JP. As a result, it would appear that the only option for Peppers will be to accept the $16.7mil. tender, and unhappily remain a Carolina Panther.      As for the Panthers, they are left to ponder the highly unlikely scenaio that JP's extreme unhappiness will not affect his play. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=4074399    
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_relatednews.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=NE

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]Is this a joke or what?  So getting 7 mil a year vs 12 year will not be considered getting set up for life?  Dude that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, paying one person 16.7 mil for 14 sacks is a joke bud even 7 is joke.  He impacts less than have the plays in a game, go sell your rich a@* mentality somewhere else.

Whoa!  Getting paid 7 million one time would set me up for life but these guys move in a different circle.   I expect he will sign a long term contract with someone and not get 16.7 million for 2009.  I don't think he would play for the Pats if they only want to pay half as much as some other team might (foolishly) offer him.  I think he would play for less than the best offer.  But as in your example I don't think he would go to his preferred team for 7 million if someone else offers him 12.  I don't think you would either.

To paraphrase Pat Ewing; "These guys need a lot of money because they spend a lot of money"

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

[QUOTE]     Warrior:      Considering that Peppers has $16.7mil. on the table for 2009 alone, I don't see how the Pats could come close to satisfying his monetary demands...even if he takes a pay cut.       Even if a reasonable contract could be reached, the Pats would still have to reach an agreement on compensation with the Panthers.           

I agree Pat. I don't see the Pats making this deal.  But I never say never because I've been surprised before.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Previous posts put panthers predicament in perspective. Peppers' potential performance precludes Pats from paying.

Can we stop with the alliteration now?

My brain is starting to hurt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Poignant perspective.

I couldn't stop myself!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I would guess, at this point, it's all going to unfold AT the draft.  There is no way anyone is going to make any moves today.  Peppers and his reps, if they want to move, are going to have to realize that the Panthers want some compensation.  I would watch closely on Saturday because there will be interest.

In terms of the contract I completely agree that he could command a lot of money.  However, if he's being so selective as to suggest that he wants to play in only a 3-4 he is really limiting his options.  You can't have it both ways; you can either say put me up for trade for a big contract or deal me to a 3-4 that is willing to take me.  If I were Rex Ryan I would be all over this to be honest.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The PPPPPPP scenario is going to remain Carolina's distraction.  New England plays them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]That's not how I read it, if I'm reading it wrong sorry but just what I saw read was a suggestion that this year peppers needs to get into a long term deal to be set for life.  My point, if he gets his 16.+ leaves him 8 mil after taxes, commision ect is 8mil not good enough to be set for life if he doesn't play another year in the NFL?  Get upset that a guy that quit on his team two years ago decides to put his all into a contract year to cash in.  If he came in at a mil a year I wouldn't want the  Pats to take him.  Aren't we the team that puts the Team above everything else?  Quiters not accepted.  

Agreed. I don't think that bringing him aboard to play OLB at age 29...for big money and a premium draft choice, makes any sense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] I would watch closely on Saturday because there will be interest. In terms of the contract I completely agree that he could command a lot of money.  However, if he's being so selective as to suggest that he wants to play in only a 3-4 he is really limiting his options.  You can't have it both ways; you can either say put me up for trade for a big contract or deal me to a 3-4 that is willing to take me.  If I were Rex Ryan I would be all over this to be honest.
    Posted by SonnyCorlione[/QUOTE]

Santino:

JP doesn't want to play for the Jets. He wants to play for a winner, not a whiner...LOL!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Peppers is arrogant.
    I don't think he is that good to warrant such special treatment.
    If I was CAR brass, I pull the offer. Can they? 
    send him to DALLASS

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeppJu99.htm

averages 40 tackles per year

thats $417,500 per tackle

heck, sign me up, I'll make a tackle for a 1/2 mil 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Peppers is arrogant. I don't think he is that good to warrant such special treatment. If I was CAR brass, I pull the offer. Can they?  send him to DALLASS http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PeppJu99.htm averages 40 tackles per year thats $417,500 per tackle heck, sign me up, I'll make a tackle for a 1/2 mil 
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

Don't know if the Panthers can pull the tendered offer...but my gut tells me that they can't. 

Send him to Dallass?? Thats' part of the problem. Until Peppers signs the $16.7mil.  tender, the Panthers can't negotiate or seek a trade with anybody. Only Peppers' agent can...and hes' only talking to the Patriots, and the 3 NFC teams (one of which I believe to be the Cowboys) that his client says he wants to play for. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

So, riddle me this . . .

If Peppers never signs the tender, that means the Panthers are tied to the cap dollars but can't move him. What happens if he just never signs it?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]So, riddle me this . . . If Peppers never signs the tender, that means the Panthers are tied to the cap dollars but can't move him. What happens if he just never signs it?
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

He doesn't play, and he doesn't get paid. Accordingly, if hes' not signed/traded by draft day, I suspect that he'll eventually sign the $16.7mil. tender.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

The big spender Eagles will get Peppers, they spent big for AS and now Jason Peters too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The big spender Eagles will get Peppers, they spent big for AS and now Jason Peters too. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4077093
    Posted by PatsRfineIn09[/QUOTE]

The Eagles are all "petered-out", cap wise, after signing LT Jason Peters. Any team that wants Peppers would first have to first trade/release a high-priced player, to create cap room.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazzzmann. Show gazzzmann's posts

you cant pay Peppers what he deserves,then tell Wilfork and Seymour their not worth the same

Sections
Shortcuts