Panthers Peppers Problem Possibly Projects in Patriots' Plans?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: Panthers Peppers Problem Possibly Projects in Patriots' Plans?

[QUOTE]     Its' almost a certainty that Julius Peppers will sign his franchise tender, and play for the Panthers in 2009. He contract demands are thought to be astronomical: http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/04/one-week-after-the-draft-still-no-interest-in-peppers/
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] maybe the 49ers?

http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]maybe the 49ers? http://msn.foxsports.com/rumors/nfl
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I can't see the rebuilding 49ers giving up a #1 draft choice in 2010, and then shelling out the type of money that Peppers wants. Remember, Peppers has suppossedly given a list of 4  teams (3 in the NFC) that he would agree to be traded to. Would Peppers be willing to play for a non-contending team like the 49ers?

The 49ers' GM has emphatically stated that no discussions have taken place involving Peppers. In any event, heres' the so-called rumor, which more accurately would be described as the wish/opinion of a sports reporter from the Sacremento Bee:

"The 49ers also could add another pass rusher between now and the start of the season. General manager Scot McCloughan has two first-round picks, and he said there was a possibility he could deal one of them before the 2010 draft. "That's the great thing about having the leverage of two No. 1s," McCloughan said. Two of the biggest names available are Baltimore's Terrell Suggs and Carolina's Julius Peppers. Both have been franchised by their respective teams, and McCloughan said there has been no trade talks about either. "No discussions with any of those guys," he said. "None whatsoever." -- Sac Bee ..... Ben's Take: If Carolina is silly enough to trade Peppers, the 49ers should be at the front of the line. He's the perfect player for Mike Singletary to build his defense first philosophy around

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Peppers may well end up being released. The panthers have dug themselves into a huge hole with this franchise thing. The effect of peppers refusing to sign the tender is that the team is obligated to that number, but peppers is not. He can take it or leave it. As many have also pointed out, the panthers have been handicapped through the entire free agent signing period by that number. Even if they cut him now, who are they going to sign with the money they save?
    I believe they'll end up trading him as a fire sale price, maybe 3rd round draft picks, just to get something for him.

I also agree that I do not want to see him in a patriot uniform, for a number of reasons, the most important of which is dissing the rest of the team, the Dline in particular.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Peppers may well end up being released. The panthers have dug themselves into a huge hole with this franchise thing. The effect of peppers refusing to sign the tender is that the team is obligated to that number, but peppers is not. He can take it or leave it. As many have also pointed out, the panthers have been handicapped through the entire free agent signing period by that number. Even if they cut him now, who are they going to sign with the money they save? I believe they'll end up trading him as a fire sale price, maybe 3rd round draft picks, just to get something for him. I also agree that I do not want to see him in a patriot uniform, for a number of reasons, the most important of which is dissing the rest of the team, the Dline in particular.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]

The Panthers would look ridiculous if they decided to release JP now. They have sacrificed any positive activity in signing some of their own players, or signing free agents to replace them...to make the necessary $16.7mil. in cap room for JP.

Carolina was foolish to franchise JP at that figure...and ludicrous in re-signing 34 year old, Jake "de-pick" DelHomme, to a franchise QB contract. They would have been far better off letting both go, and rebuilding.

What other team would have paid Jake anywhere near what Carolina paid him?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]     The Panthers would look ridiculous if they decided to release JP now. They have sacrificed any positive activity in signing some of their own players, or signing free agents to replace them...to make the necessary $16.7mil. in cap room for JP.      Carolina was foolish to franchise JP at that figure...and ludicrous in re-signing 34 year old, Jake "de-pick" DelHomme, to a franchise QB contract. They would have been far better off letting both go, and rebuilding.      What other team would have paid Jake anywhere near what Carolina paid him?     
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Do you think the Panthers could make themselves look more ridiculous than they already have? This is a roll of the dice you wouldn't even see at a Vegas craps table. Jake returning to his form of yesteryear and Peppers performing like a happy player who wants to lead his team's defense. It's a longer shot than Mine That Bird.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Apropos of nothing .  .  .

A local handicapper (who also happens to be the radio voice of the Vikings) sees Mine That Bird as a serious Triple Crown threat because his father won the Belmont and the Preakness field could be weak.

Does anybody care about horse racing?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think the Panthers could make themselves look more ridiculous than they already have? This is a roll of the dice you wouldn't even see at a Vegas craps table. Jake returning to his form of yesteryear and Peppers performing like a happy player who wants to lead his team's defense. It's a longer shot than Mine That Bird.
    Posted by Evil2009[/QUOTE]

True enough. The more the Panthers try to extricate themselves from this off-season quagmire, the deeper they seem to sink.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

This seems to be an impossible situation for everyone concerned.

• BB said the Patriots are not going to pursue Peppers until he signs the offer sheet. You have to assume most teams, buy their lack of interest or the price tag feel the same way
    • Why is Peppers not signing the offer sheet? First off, it will make him the highest paid player at his position at his position. Secondly it has become obvious nothing is going to happen until he does sign. So in conclusion if he signs it is a win win situation for everyone, not signing, it is a lose lose situation. I guess this is what happens when huge egos come into play.