Pass on running backs in this years draft! and heres why......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Pass on running backs in this years draft! and heres why......

Beside the fact that we have a ton of much more pressing needs I dont see value in this years RB stock in relation to where we pick.  If Jhavid Best falls to the late second round then I guess thats a good pick, but I doubt thats gonna happen.  I feel we can fill our need next year through free agency or with what we already have, and with the Raiders pick in 2011 we should be in a good position to make a strong play on Mark Ingram who will most likely declare.  This kid is the anti-Maroney, he finds his hole runs straight ahead welcomes contact and keeps gaining yards.  He would be the perfect compliment to our passing game not to mention he can catch the ball out of the backfield.  Talk about a balanced offense.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Re: Pass on running backs in this years draft! and heres why......

We got lucky with Corey Dillon and assumed we could repeat that whenever necessary. Sammy Morris looks good just long enough to go on IR. Fred Taylor is excellent for 1998. We haven't drafted a good running back since Robert Edwards. Unless the Rams go unconscious and hand Stephen Jackson over to us, we must draft people who will turn out like Edwards or Curtis Martin.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I would prefer to get the O-line, D-line, and LB corps situated before drafting a RB. I think next year the Pats should pick up a top end RB in the draft with oaklands pick and focus on other areas in this draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

JB I disagree, as we know its not a given a RB will be a hit in the NFL but you can look at work ethic type of runner, speed if he hits or misses holes ect.

Looking at all that there are a couple of guys who will be available in the second the pats would do great drafting or even picking a back in later rounds, Dwyer is moving up draft boards so might already move into the 1st round but you have
    2nd round
    Ryan Mathews 5'11" 220 lbs
    Toby Gerhart 6'1" 235 lbs, this is who I want to see as a Patriot
    Ben Tate 5'11" 218 lbs
    Montario Hardesty 6'0" 215 lbs run between the tackles and also catches the ball well

Later rounds
    A guy that stock dropped because of a punch
    LeGarrette Blount 6'2" 240lbs he's not talked about much
    Anthony Dixon 6'1" 238lbs
    Charles Scott 5'11" 233lbs HB/FB tweener (Morris replacement?)

There are some good backs this year, we need a guy now and can't wait another year hopping to draft Ingram. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Keep in mind that a first or second round running back this year will cost a whole lot more this year than next year.

By 2011, undoubtedly, teams and players will have worked out a new CBA in which case there will certainly be some form of ceiling on how much teams can spend on players chosen in the draft. Perhaps a scale of pay per position and per the round in which a player was selected. This will allow teams a uniform spending limit for unproven rookies while devoting more cap space to the proven veterans.

Many of this year’s college players are taking this into account and will be coming out this year, in some cases prematurely, in hopes of getting the big contract before limits are established in 2011.

So it can be reasonably argued that if the Patriots wait until 2011, they could very well snag a premier running back with their first round pick without having to pay ‘today’s’ going rates for first round picks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Dustcover-Your arguement doesn't make any sense because it applies to whatever position was drafted. It would only make sense if you said we shouldn't draft anybody this year. Which would make no sense either, of course.

I'm with 7393, Gerhart would be a great pick up for the Pats. They cannot address all of their needs through the draft, they are going to have to find some help in the free agent market.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

I definitely agree with you 7393 Gerhart would fit well with our team and he would be a great value in the mid-second round.  Ryan Matthews is also solid and I think he might go in the back half of the second round.  However, I am saying that I think we need to get some linebackers and some offensive linemen in here asap.  Also from a value standpoint I cant think of too many teams who need linebackers the way we do so we might be able to pull some studs out of the second round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dino1980. Show dino1980's posts

dustcover - I agree with your points. 

I think the new CBA has already affected the Pats!  I would guess that Wilfork and Brady would already have new deals if not for the 'uncapped year' and the changes to rookie contracts. 

You're also right, in that, picking a "star" this year will cost more than picking one next year.  For that reason, I agree with the previous posters who suggest that our picks would be best spent on Defense and an O-Lineman.  It also doesn't make sense to pick a "star" RB before you have a line to block for him.

The Pats won championships with a solid D, lead by a hardcore group of linebackers, hard hitting defensive backs and solid line play...lets get back to that!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

For those thinking of using the #1 pick acquired from the Raiders in 2011 on a RB...pleeeaaseee! The main needs for the Patriots are on their offensive and defensive lines...and for an edge pass-rusher. These are the areas in which that potential top 10 pick should be spent.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't think any runniing back has a chance if they don't fix the O-line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Jbonesky, I have totally disagree.  This years draft is deep with solid RBs that will be available in the 2nd rd.  We mostly likely need a RB this AND next year.  We have Laura and the over 30 crew.  Personally, of the bunch, I would only keep K Faulk.  RB is a position of youth.

To all saying we should use Oaklands pick on the best RB next year.  I also disagree and hope u are wrong and here is why.  Rbs have the shortest life span of ANY position in the NFL.  Even if we get Ingram and he is a stud, he still would be lucky to be playing at 30+.  Or we can draft a great DL OL CB etc and have them last till their early to mid 30s and get 4-5 more years from one single, very high, very talented pick.  So I dont see us using the Oak pick on that. 

TexasPat3, amen and I second that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

What's to say the top two RBs in 2011 blow their knees and are not available, why wait to draft a guy who still has a full year of football to play?  What if he was a one year wonder? unlikely but what ifs have to come into play when talking about a possible top 10 pick.

What I can see happening is this, Light stays at LT and Voll at RT this year but next Light's contract is up and you can draft a top 3 tackle or a monster DL or LB.

Look at the top RBs in the league and see where they were drafted and look at a guy like Reggy bush picked #2 overall and what has he done?  This year there are some really good big backs that can be had in the 2nd and even in later rounds.  Get one or two backs depending what you do with Laura and BJGE, this is how I would like to see it:

Fred Taylor
    Ryan Mathews (2nd round pick)
    Kevin Faulk 3rd down back
    BJGE used as full back
    James Starks (6th/7th round pick, 6'2" 218) should fall, did not play senior year due to a shoulder injury but is a very gifted back (brandon tate type scenario).

Trade Laura for what you can get, I love Morris but he's been injured to much for my liking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

If they pick an RB after the second round I wouldnt have a problem with that.  I just hope they spend the first four picks on defense and O-line.  We need to find Lights replacement in this draft so he can be developed, nothing gaurantees that an O-lineman picked early in the draft will have an immediate impact, we got lucky with Vollmer.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

JB, find LIghts replacement?  Did you hear that Vollmer is pretty good and the LT of the future a future that could be as early as 2010?

We need to find a RT and RG not a LT.  There are also some young players on the roster that from what I've read they could be planning to promote one of them.  So this is really a throw all out type offseason and bring on the questions including who's the DC.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

I disagree. I think that RB is a pressing need on this team. If we had a good back, our offense would be a lot more balanced and keep defenses more honest. I think that it is a problem having three or four backs sharing all the time. Nobody has a chance to heat up. We need one good back to carry the load. I say if Jonathan Dwyer is there in the second, we grab him. I would love that pick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

They could get an RB (Ryan Mathews/RB/Fresno State) and a quality offensive lineman (Kyle Calloway/OT/Iowa OR Mike Johnson/OG/Alabama) and still have a 1st and 2nd rounder to spend on defense.  Alot depends on how they view Light and/or Mankins, though I doubt they spend a ton to keep Mankins, while Light is a candidate to be cut.

They still have Crable and McKenzie coming off IR and hopefully (that's a big if for Crable) both can stay healthy.  I don't anticipate them taking more than one OLB in the first two rounds (Hughes/Graham/Kindle/Cunningham).

The below list shows that quality, potential dual threat lead backs are available after round 1.

Forte, Matt- 40th (rd 2)

Rice, Ray- 55th (rd 2)

Jones-Drew, Maurice- 60th (rd 2)

Smith, Kevin- 64th (rd 3)

Gore, Frank- 65th (rd 3)

Charles, Jamaal- 73rd (rd 3)

Harrison, Jerome- 145th (rd 5)

Grant, Ryan- Undrafted

Jackson, Fred- Undrafted

Thomas, Pierre- Undrafted

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

The Pats have a lot of needs. That being said I thiink BB will stay with his past philosophy, that is --Take the most talented player available at the pick-regardless of position. I am sure between RB, OLB OL WR and CB someone will stick out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazzzmann. Show gazzzmann's posts

Comish Goodell has said the salary structure would only be on pick 1-15 thats were th foolish money is spent on unproven  prospects

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Mbeau

Good points there. You seem to have well informed info on the draft.........keep it up.

Just wish we had that 3rd and 5th pick we threw away on Burgess.

Think now now what a massive difference that makes to draft or trade with......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

ricky12684,
    They would need to trade picks as they don't currently have a 3rd rounder, also Devine didn't declare for the draft, so he'l be back at WV next year....I'm a huge fan of him though and like him as an option in 2011 as more of a change of pace back.  IMO, his lack of size (5-7 176) could prevent him from being an every down back at the NFL level.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

sydneypat,
    Thanks man!

Yeah, sure would be nice to have those two picks back, BB certainly didn't get a good return on his investment with this one.

The light seemed to come on a bit for him towards the end of the year as he had a sack in 3 of his final 4 regular season games (Flacco only attempted 10 passes in the playoff game so it's tough to count that one).  I'm wondering if that coupled with BB's glowing comments about him being a quality combo player (good vs the run and pass) buys him another contract, be it a low risk high reward type deal?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCommittee. Show TheCommittee's posts

I'm a big Mark Ingram fan, so I might be a bit biased here, but I think he'll be phenomenal in the NFL. The big indicator to NFL success for a running back (in my opinion) is how he does AFTER contact. It's exactly why the Darren McFadden show has yet to materialize in Oakland (despite the fact that it's Oakland) - McFadden was barely touched on his way through the hole in college; his success was more or less a result of good play from the linemen (I remember watching highlights of him a few years ago, and I was amazed at the sizes of the holes that McFadden was given to run through). That said, Mark Ingram is a monster, even after initial contact (he racked up over 1000 yards after contact this season). Ingram not only has power; he has speed as well, as his forty time is about 4.4 - only .02 less than what Adrian Peterson ran at the 2007 Combine.

Did I mention that Ingram can catch out of the backfield too?

I personally hope that the Pats wait on a RB this year, and focus on the offensive line first - that way, if there are rookies playing on the line this upcoming year, they will have a year of experience underneath their belts before Mark Ingram arrives (assuming that he declares and we draft him with the 2011 Raiders pick [I know this isn't a certainty]). Remember, a back is only is as good as his line.

In this years class, there are a few guys that I think will be solid players (Dwyer, Matthews, maybe by a stretch Gerhart), but they will be nothing more than that; I don't see any running back in this class becoming an impact player and a feature back. In a sense, it would be like drafting a cheaper Laurence Maroney (hopefully without the fumbling issues); when healthy, he can be solid and (somewhat) reliable, but he is never going to take over a game the way Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson does. I think  that, based upon what I have seen, Ingram is that special type of player. He reminds me very much of a young(er) Maurice Jones-Drew; low center of gravity, and extremely tough to tackle.

And so ends my Mark Ingram rant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradyslady12. Show bradyslady12's posts

Draft a running back this year and heres why.....Sam M. good when he's healthy!
    that's when he's healthy, Fred Talyor good when he's healthy.... BOTH ARE NOT HEALTHY AND ARE GETTING OLDER, L.Maroney What a Bust, we drafted him to be
    are #1 running back, BJGE Would Love to see more of him....... Kevin Foulk What can you say about him...Just love him to death... I hope he is back with us in 2010, (but his is getting older all so)...WE NEED A STUD R.B. TO TAKE THE PRESSURE OF TOM TERRIFIC, FOR SURE.......WE ALSO NEED A STUD W.R. ACROSS FROM RANDY.........

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

I agree with The Committee...I'd love to see us use a first rounder on Ingram NEXT year and use a patch to get through this upcoming year. I have no problem with rolling with Faulk, Taylor, BJGE and Sammy Morriss for one more year while dumping Maroney and focusing on upgrading the line this year. I'd love to see us grab Gresham and implement a TE into the offense...and coach him up to be able to run block too of course.

Sections
Shortcuts