Pass Rush is the way to go...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Pass Rush is the way to go...

If i could have 5 good pass rushers OR 5 good DB, i will always go with the PASS RUSHERS.

I know coverage and pass rush, compliment each other, i get that, but in today´s NFL no DB can shut down a good or great reciever... and a good pass rush, can always beat a good or great QB. Plus, QB hits have a lot more influence in a QB´s mind than defended passes.

Plus, NE is close to have a decent front 7... If (big if) NE can land another good pass rusher, in the DT position, via FA or Draft, this team could be heading somewhere... BB is trying to do just that... Big albert, Fanene, Armstead... he is trying to put good talent next to VW... but he has failed... Love and "deadrick" are just average players, and they can look GOOD at times, next to #75, imagine what a B+ talent could do in the middle of our defense.

Ninko´s production at DE was a great surprise this season... Chandler Jones, when healthy was very solid + good production, Vince played another great season... we only need another good player who can bring a decent rush.

Talib or no Talib... to me, that´s the way to go.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Pass Rush is the way to go...

In response to auchhhhhhhhhhh's comment:

If i could have 5 good pass rushers OR 5 good DB, i will always go with the PASS RUSHERS.

I know coverage and pass rush, compliment each other, i get that, but in today´s NFL no DB can shut down a good or great reciever... and a good pass rush, can always beat a good or great QB. Plus, QB hits have a lot more influence in a QB´s mind than defended passes.

Plus, NE is close to have a decent front 7... If (big if) NE can land another good pass rusher, in the DT position, via FA or Draft, this team could be heading somewhere... BB is trying to do just that... Big albert, Fanene, Armstead... he is trying to put good talent next to VW... but he has failed... Love and "deadrick" are just average players, and they can look GOOD at times, next to #75, imagine what a B+ talent could do in the middle of our defense.

Ninko´s production at DE was a great surprise this season... Chandler Jones, when healthy was very solid + good production, Vince played another great season... we only need another good player who can bring a decent rush.

2 great edge rushers AND 2 very good cb's and you have what is needed in the league as it stands now (on defense). the rest could be jags. sure a good safety will help but it starts and ends there. pass rush and cover the elite wrs (particularly the outside wrs).

by the way, its been my critique for several years (and main thing and first thing i wrote about for last 2 months that pats should do in offseason).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Not really said all that well. You NEED both cover guys and pass rushers. But I agree that the Pats NEED at least one natural inside pass rusher and one more natural outside pass rusher on the D line.

They need Talib plus at least one more decently good cover man. THey need at least one good cover LB. ANd in all those players they need to be good enough to play the run. They cannot be dead meat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

But wait a minute!!! Isn't pass rush, sacks, pressure...overrated!?  That's all I've been reading about around here for three years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think in order to get an elite DLineman in the Pats system, they have to draft one, or they have to get lucky in free agency like they did with A Carter as opposed to Albert, Fanene and S Ellis. I assume that Alan Branch or Glen Dorsey could help with a middle of the line rush,and they might be had for a reasonable deal and could be worth the look, but I see the Pats with numerous needs, and not a lot of cap space to get it done.

Armstead was a good move, but until he plays jury is still out.  

I am still scratching my head at the Pats draft last year. True, Hightower, Dennerd and Jones will be 3 starting defensive players for the Pats. But isnt Higtower redundant to Spikes and Mayo? And what to make of Jake Bequette? Will he be such a good edge rusher, that the Pats invested a 3rd rd draft choice but only played him 29 snaps all year? Wilson shows promise, but shouldnt a 2nd round pick be able to come in and play more than Wilson did?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

But wait a minute!!! Isn't pass rush, sacks, pressure...overrated!?  That's all I've been reading about around here for three years.

Really? I think its the opposite, most here have been clamoring for a consistent pass rush for three years and Jones was definitely a step in the right direction. I'd love to see another first round DL that is quick off the line and can get after the QB. As much as I love Nink he should be a depth guy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

They need somebody to collapse a pocket beyond Wilfork, otherwise another speed rusher will be useless. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

They need somebody to collapse a pocket beyond Wilfork, otherwise another speed rusher will be useless. 

This.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I am going to be a little contrarian here - would I love to have another DL with QB killer talent, of course, but I think with Jones improving and the rest of the DL the pats have they can win consistently. Ninko is underrated - he doesn't have the 'talent' but his production is always 'surprising'. We'll see what the two CFLers bring and Bequette basically had a red shirt year so we may have a pleasant surprise there. Here are my thoughts though:

1. Too often receivers were winning early, so QBs didn't have to hold the ball long enough for even the best pash rush to get home.

2. Everyone talks about DBs, but I think while we have very good LBs, they are generally a liability in coverage - we need a coverage LB and hopefully one that can play 3 downs. The RBs, TEs, and slot guys were killing us.

3. The coaching has been pretty conservative on defense because the DBs are suspect. When Aqib arrived, that changed and it changed back when he got injured. With DBs that you trust to play man consistently, you can be more aggressive up front. So I still say we need better DBs.

Genrally - the games lost this year were ones in which the offense played poorly. The only one that I really think the opponent ran up the score was SF, and that was because the offense not only didn't show until the second half, but was gifting the opponent the ball early.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

So would you like to see the Pats go after Osi or Avril?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Woz, you like Dorsey or Branch beside Vince?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

So would you like to see the Pats go after Osi or Avril?

no, too much $$$ for either one of them

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Truthfully I don't scout the draft until after the combine and pro day workouts have finished, too often a college player looks complete until you stack them up next to their peers.  

I know my short list of free agents would be Richard Seymour or possibly Randy Starks if the money was right.  But I'm very certain I want a defensive tackle and not some tweener or outside linebacker posing as a linemen, we have plenty of those, I'd like to see more 3 man fronts next year.  If he doesn't weigh more than 300 pounds I'm not interested.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mississippipatfan. Show mississippipatfan's posts

I think Marcus Benard my help us.  He was doing good in Cleveland.  Plus he went to my college Jackson State University in Jackson, MS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Truthfully I don't scout the draft until after the combine and pro day workouts have finished, too often a college player looks complete until you stack them up next to their peers.  

I know my short list of free agents would be Richard Seymour or possibly Randy Starks if the money was right.  But I'm very certain I want a defensive tackle and not some tweener or outside linebacker posing as a linemen, we have plenty of those, I'd like to see more 3 man fronts next year.  If he doesn't weigh more than 300 pounds I'm not interested.

Glen Dorsey plays for the Chiefs

Alan Branch plays for the Seahawks

Both free agents, both well over 300 pounds. Both interior DL that can push the pocket.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Both free agents, both well over 300 pounds. Both interior DL that can push the pocket.

My understanding was that Branch had much more success as a 5 tech DE even though he was originally drafted to play more in the interior.

As for Dorsey I agree he could use a change of scenery where the scheme fits him better and there isn't the pressure of his draft status.  He has no business playing defensive end.  Could be a real asset on the interior if the price is right.  Greg Cosell from NFL films certainly liked him coming out: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2008-03-19/dorsey-will-be-handful-nfl-blockers

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

either of them would be good here imo, but i do think the secondary needs help first...they played over their heads since talib was acquired....i dont think that will last into next year if they dont get a real safety back there alongside mccourty.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

my thinking on Dorsey or Branch (and Seymour who I would like to see return) is that they might be had on a contract that allows the Pats to make other moves. Dorsey especially is young enough to come here on a 3 year deal, re establish his career and jump back into FA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

2 great edge rushers AND 2 very good cb's and you have what is needed in the league as it stands now (on defense). the rest could be jags. sure a good safety will help but it starts and ends there. pass rush and cover the elite wrs (particularly the outside wrs).

by the way, its been my critique for several years (and main thing and first thing i wrote about for last 2 months that pats should do in offseason).

my more extended version:

i think our highest and next to highest and next to next to  highest (ie its not close) is elite pass rushing de. next big outside wr who can separate and catch, and a big, fast cb; then yeah safety is a big need (i suggested picking up in fa, along with pass rusher (i dont see much of a stud available at 29), better o line starter, cover lb., upgrade at dt. are these canadian kids any of that, hard to say at this point, maybe depth.

consistent pass rush (with the front 4) is necessary.

then having 2 big starting cbs talib, someone ot go with talib, dennard and dowling 3 and 4.

on offense we've been stopped for years against better des not having a torrie smith or other (a big outside wr who can separate with reliable hands) . good offenses often have 2 good outside wrs. we have not had one since moss (lloyd cannot separate and falls on the ground every time he catches a pass). we need at least one. 

a tough safety who can cover and stay healthy is needed (and i want it this offseason), but wihtout another real pass rusher (and cb and outside wr),we may look at another year with no brady sb win.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

yeah and look who has won those super bowls?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think in order to get an elite DLineman in the Pats system, they have to draft one, or they have to get lucky in free agency like they did with A Carter as opposed to Albert, Fanene and S Ellis. I assume that Alan Branch or Glen Dorsey could help with a middle of the line rush,and they might be had for a reasonable deal and could be worth the look, but I see the Pats with numerous needs, and not a lot of cap space to get it done.

Armstead was a good move, but until he plays jury is still out.  

I am still scratching my head at the Pats draft last year. True, Hightower, Dennerd and Jones will be 3 starting defensive players for the Pats. But isnt Higtower redundant to Spikes and Mayo? And what to make of Jake Bequette? Will he be such a good edge rusher, that the Pats invested a 3rd rd draft choice but only played him 29 snaps all year? Wilson shows promise, but shouldnt a 2nd round pick be able to come in and play more than Wilson did?

+1

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CaptainZdeno33's comment:

Really? I think its the opposite, most here have been clamoring for a consistent pass rush for three years and Jones was definitely a step in the right direction. I'd love to see another first round DL that is quick off the line and can get after the QB. As much as I love Nink he should be a depth guy. 

+1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I feel like Baltimore beat the Patriots as much by clogging up the short zones and taking that away with coverage as they did by pressuring Brady.  No sacks, and 7 QB hits (the Patriots had 2 and 5), is not a killer pass rush.

You have to be able to do both, cover and pass rush.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I feel like Baltimore beat the Patriots as much by clogging up the short zones and taking that away with coverage as they did by pressuring Brady.  No sacks, and 7 QB hits (the Patriots had 2 and 5), is not a killer pass rush.

You have to be able to do both, cover and pass rush.

exactly as i have it