Pass Rush may be the Key

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Pass Rush may be the Key

As Nick and others here have mentioned in other threads, for both teams this could be a key. 

We have to expect both QB's to be able to find their receivers in the game.  Both the QB's and the receivers are too good not to find enough space to catch the ball. 

But pressure on the QB can affect both QBs ability to find those guys. 

Obviously there will be other significant factors, but with both running games stuck in neutral, the passing game will be a focus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Re: Pass Rush may be the Key

'Dogg I think everyone agrees that protecting their own QB is the way to succeed in the NFL. I have on another recent thread come up with what I thought would be our best defensive package against Manning and Co.

Where I do not agree with you is that running games for both teams will be stuck in neutral. I do not think either have been very good this year and I am not exactly familiar with how the Colt's run game is, I know in recent weeks NE's run game has been very effective. Doesn't really show up on the stat sheet because I am talking about the 3rd and 2's and 3rd and 3's. The tough yards that are needed, we seem to be getting, which is very encouraging.

Also, I have a hunch some big runs will be knocked off by both teams because the defensive focus will be placed on pass rush and stopping the pass game. Like I said above the D package I came up with on another thread tries to put pass rushers on the field without giving up to much in the run game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"Pass Rush may be the Key"

You think?  Thanks for the Thread.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Pass Rush may be the Key:
    [QUOTE]As Nick and others here have mentioned in other threads, for both teams this could be a key.  We have to expect both QB's to be able to find their receivers in the game.  Both the QB's and the receivers are too good not to find enough space to catch the ball.  But pressure on the QB can affect both QBs ability to find those guys.  Obviously there will be other significant factors, but with both running games stuck in neutral, the passing game will be a focus.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

The big thing is that they can't bring extra pressure and blockers won't be getting much extra help.

DE's and OT's HAVE TO win their matchups BY THEMSELVES (for the most part).  Otherwise, the sacrifices made to help them will cost their team dearly (whether it's a reduced playbook b/c max protection or because blitzing will expose the secondary to excellent receivers and quarterbacks)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

[QUOTE]As Nick and others here have mentioned in other threads, for both teams this could be a key.  We have to expect both QB's to be able to find their receivers in the game.  Both the QB's and the receivers are too good not to find enough space to catch the ball.  But pressure on the QB can affect both QBs ability to find those guys.  Obviously there will be other significant factors, but with both running games stuck in neutral, the passing game will be a focus.

Pass Rush? Do we have that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

A lot of people say this, but I disagree. For the Colts it is a big thing. Ne has a lot of passes that are quick checkdowns, but they also have a lot of passes that are traditional drag routes, fly routes, post routes that take some time to develop.

For NE, they need to find a way to disrupt the timing of the offense. Some (judiciously applied) blitzes can help, but a lot of that depends on jamming Clark and Wayne to throw off the timing, and bracketing them to force Manning to hold on to the ball, which is when he gets much less comfortable. 

The colts offense is based on speed and timing. When you have designed routes that are 15+ upfield and the WR can get there and cut in, out, or comeback in less that three seconds, then blitzing doesn't help much unless your OLBs are the flash and superman.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Colts have the edge in the pass rush department. I see a lot of 2 TE sets or RBs kept in the backfield to help vollmer and kazur handling feeney and mathis. Hopefully, we'll be seeing 4-5 screens to maroney sunday night, too.

As long as tommy isn't getting mauled, he lights up the colts rookie DBs.

We're going to struggle to get any pressure at all on manning. No one else does, why should we? I do see Mr. chung appearing out of nowhere in the colt's backfield once or twice and maybe BB has some other surprises in store for jughead.

I'd also suggest tommy call for the roughing flag at least 10-12 times. That should give us an additional 150 -180 yards of offense, according to various NFL big-mouth ignoramuses like suggs and joey porter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Pass Rush may be the Key:
    [QUOTE]"Pass Rush may be the Key" You think?  Thanks for the Thread.
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding nothing.  Par for the course where you are concerned.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

In Response to Re: Pass Rush may be the Key:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people say this, but I disagree. For the Colts it is a big thing. Ne has a lot of passes that are quick checkdowns, but they also have a lot of passes that are traditional drag routes, fly routes, post routes that take some time to develop. For NE, they need to find a way to disrupt the timing of the offense. Some (judiciously applied) blitzes can help, but a lot of that depends on jamming Clark and Wayne to throw off the timing, and bracketing them to force Manning to hold on to the ball, which is when he gets much less comfortable.  The colts offense is based on speed and timing. When you have designed routes that are 15+ upfield and the WR can get there and cut in, out, or comeback in less that three seconds, then blitzing doesn't help much unless your OLBs are the flash and superman.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]
    Z - I don't disagree with you but to further my point, I am not even really talking about blitzing.  I expect them to be sprinkled in by both teams, but by I think both teams will need to find a way to get that pressure with a 3 or 4 man rush package.  

Sections
Shortcuts