Pass rush options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

Pass rush options

I think there is a number of options out there but the best options by far are Ray Edwards and Tamba Hali. Cliff Avril is also out there in FA. That is probably the cream of the crop in terms of FA. Hali I believe is a franchise player but not sure what level of restriction his tag holds (may have to be sign and trade). I am not sure who will be avialable in the trade market but they should target Osi Umenyiora, Shaun Phillips, and Kamerion Wimbley. I think Umenyiora was avialable last year and Wimbley plays in Oakland, it seems like we always deal with Al Davis.

What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Re: Pass rush options

I just don't see Bill going after anybody....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I beleive it has already been speculated to death that the 2 top options are Manny Lawson and Cullen Jenkins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZachRudy. Show ZachRudy's posts

A realist option might be Charles Johnson of the Carolina Panthers.  He was a productive player last year, racking up 62 tackles with 11.5 sacks.  Johnson is 6’ 2”, 275 lbs.  I believe he is only 24 years old.  The problem is he is coming from a 4-3 defense so he would be a projection.   I think Johnson can be had because the Panthers have a couple free agents that they would like to retain.  They franchised Ryan Kalil and would like to retain DeAngelo Williams.  I am sure the Panthers would like to keep Charles Johnson as well but I don’t think owner Jerry Richardson will be in the mood to spend a ton on money this offseason.  Richardson has spent in the past but he is leading the fight in the new CBA negotiations.  The Panthers were one of the lowest spenders last year and that trend may continue into 2011. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

FREE AGENT SNAPSHOT: MATT ROTH
    By Christopher Price

Matt Roth (AP)

Despite the labor uncertainty, over the course of the offseason, WEEI.com will present a list of 10 possible fits for the Patriots in free agency under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Matt Roth
    Position: OLB/DE
    Height: 6-foot-4
    Weight: 275

The Browns are moving to a 4-3 under new coach Dick Jauron, which means this veteran of the 3-4 will be looking to test the free agent market. Roth is not an overwhelming threat as a pass rusher — he’s posted 20 career sacks in seven seasons in the NFL, including a combined 7.5 the last two years in Cleveland — but is an excellent complimentary piece who could provide depth outside and provide support in the run game.

Since college, Roth has played almost exclusively for former Bill Belichick lieutenants: as a collegian, he was with Kirk Ferentz at Iowa. In the pros, he’s also had stints with in Nick Saban (Miami) and Eric Mangini (Cleveland), which would likely mean an easy transition into the New England system. He would be a relatively inexpensive sign. And he certainly fits the body type the Patriots require when it comes to finding someone who could set the edge in the run game and provide a spark to the pass rush.

Why it might not work: Roth is a bit of a wild card. He ran afoul of Bill Parcells in Miami — skipping “voluntary” spring practices with the Dolphins because he was unhappy with his contract — which eventually got him released. While he’s generally considered a good locker room presence, he is also known as something of a glib personality, which might not play well in Foxboro. Of course, if he comes to New England and provides a spark for the pass rush, that’s the sort of thing that can be excused.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Roth would be a nice solid signing; he's very large and although I can't pretend to know how his game is - his age - along with 34 experience, has got to be a plus.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtfan. Show celtfan's posts

In Response to Pass rush options:
    [QUOTE]I think there is a number of options out there but the best options by far are Ray Edwards and Tamba Hali. Cliff Avril is also out there in FA. That is probably the cream of the crop in terms of FA. Hali I believe is a franchise player but not sure what level of restriction his tag holds (may have to be sign and trade). I am not sure who will be avialable in the trade market but they should target Osi Umenyiora, Shaun Phillips, and Kamerion Wimbley. I think Umenyiora was avialable last year and Wimbley plays in Oakland, it seems like we always deal with Al Davis. What do you guys think?
    Posted by Bostonman1025[/QUOTE]

I think they hold "pat" on adding any other pass rushers.  First of all the quality of guys available just isn't that high.  Secondly with the rossevelt colvin and Adalius Thomas experiments being failures I think BB would shy away from going this route.  Plus I think BB is convinced the guys he has can get the job done.

I also think that the Pat's teams that won the Super Bowls just weren't great defensive teams.  They were more a bend but don't break defense.  They mostly won games with offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Jonathan Kraft already added a player to the defensive line before the lockout.  Maybe he's done adding players.

BB only gets 53 players on the roster, and he's carrying a boatload of 2009 and 2010 draft choices on the training camp roster now, plus nine more from 2011.  Every new signing has to bump one of these guys.  So, the new guy had better be tremendous and had better work cheap.  That's why I don't see more than one more FA signing of significance, and possibly zero more signings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking-11. Show Harleyroadking-11's posts

that 7th round draft pick....what's his name

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options:
    [QUOTE]I beleive it has already been speculated to death that the 2 top options are Manny Lawson and Cullen Jenkins
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

Speculated to death..... THAT
    Manny Lawson has never had great numbers has never gone over 7 scks, and has a awfully poor combined tackle numbers?????

The only thing i see that is above average is his ability to cover the pass and get an occassional int.

other than that he is a BUM

I would however take Clif Avril and make him a hand down hybrid similar to Derek Burgess only Avril is much younger...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

those of you that want those 43 DE's, watch this video.

Its Willie McGinest braking down Mario Williams' switch to 34 OLB and why its not easy, even for a beast like Mario.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81fb213e/That-s-one-giant-linebacker

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Matt Roth, Kamerion Wimbley and Manny Lawson are the only FAs worth chasing. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kildog. Show kildog's posts

RE:  McGinest Video

What happened to instinctive reaction?   That is so complicated.  If you don't study film and get the opponents tendencies down pat your lost.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]those of you that want those 43 DE's, watch this video. Its Willie McGinest braking down Mario Williams' switch to 34 OLB and why its not easy, even for a beast like Mario. http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/09000d5d81fb213e/That-s-one-giant-linebacker
    Posted by GadisRKO[/QUOTE]

Double-plus-good. You should post this as a distinct thread. It will show alot of people why it's a lot harder to switch than they think. So many people just throw player names around like it can happen as easy as Kraft can cut a paycheck and the facility can get them a jersey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]RE:  McGinest Video              What happened to instinctive reaction?   That is so complicated.  If you don't study film and get the opponents tendencies down pat your lost.....
    Posted by kildog[/QUOTE]

That is the modern NFL and the modern 34 especially. It is designed to keep the offense from dictating to your personell. 

Instinct is still there, but think about it like a jazz guitar player ... he can't really riff until he knows every thing that might be coming and has the fundamentals down. Once a play knows the system and his reads down, the instinct comes back.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

FREE AGENT SNAPSHOT: CULLEN JENKINS
    By Christopher Price

Cullen Jenkins (AP)

Despite the labor uncertainty, WEEI.com will continue present a list of 10 possible fits for the Patriots in free agency (under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement) this offseason.

Cullen Jenkins

Position: Defensive end/defensive tackle
    Height: 6-foot-2
    Weight: 305

Like Matt Roth — another free-agent possibility for the Patriots who was discussed in this space yesterday — the little brother of defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is not a particularly overwhelming pass rusher, but is the sort of defender who is a veteran of the 3-4. He has 29 career sacks in seven seasons, including a career-best seven last season.

In addition, after seven years in Green Bay, the Central Michigan product is ready to move on — he told ESPNMilwaukee.com earlier this month that he would have taken a hometown discount to return to the Packers, but that ship has sailed, saying, “I know how they handle business, and the thought was if we could get something reasonable worked out, I knew I would take less than what I could’ve gotten in free agency. But they never approached me with anything and never got any type of negotiations going. It’s just how the business is. They had a lot of younger guys and felt they could move forward in that direction.”

Why it might not work: He’s been slowed by some nagging injuries the last few years — he missed five games last season with a bad hamstring and broken hand. In addition, he missed 12 games in 2008 with a torn pectoral muscle. (Of course, despite all of that, he had career-best numbers last year, so that might not matter a whole lot in the long run.) He is 30 years old, and going long-term for a player at that age might be something of a dicey situation. And if the old rules apply, Jenkins figures to be one of the pricier pickups in free agency. He had a career-best year this past season with the Super Bowl champs — his stock will never be higher than it is right now. Probably not an ideal time to invest.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonman1025. Show Bostonman1025's posts

My favorite from the list above would be Ray Edwards. Although he has no experience in the 3-4 base, he is probably the best or second best pass rusher on the market. I think he can stand-up and play OLB on third down and passing situations. Edwards to me at least resembles Willie Mac.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

edwards currently has a 1st round tender which could be a problem. he also wants a huge contract. there are also a lot of rumors about the falcons and philly going after him. plus he has always been a bit of an up and down guy. seems like a long shot to end up in NE. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

FREE AGENT SNAPHOT: JASON BABIN

By Christopher Price

Jason Babin (AP)

Despite the labor uncertainty, WEEI.com will present a list of 10 possible fits for the Patriots in free agency (under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement) this offseason.

Jason Babin
    Position: Defensive end
    Height: 6-foot-3
    Weight: 260

While the two previous possibilities we detailed in this space — Matt Roth andCullen Jenkins — weren’t particularly known as pure pass rushers, Babin will likely be the best pure pass rusher available when free agency begins this offseason. This Western Michigan journeyman — he’s played for five teams in six years — figures to cash in after a 2010 season with Tennessee where he collected 12.5 sacks, a career-best. (He went to his first Pro Bowl as a result.) For what it’s worth, he seems to have come to terms with the idea that the Titans aren’t going to re-sign him, telling reporters, “They told my agent they are letting me go to free agency and passing on the opportunity to sign me to a long-term deal.”

He’s an interesting prospect for New England to consider: Houston’s first-round pick from 2004 can clearly get after the passer — he is a speedy end with an extraordinarily high motor — but he’s not a power guy, and his greatest success has come in 4-3 schemes. And while he is one of the best in the league the last couple of seasons when it comes to sacks, in the past, he has had problems when it comes to setting the edge and providing run support.

But no matter what you think of him, it’s clear Babin has had an eventful offseason: He’s threatened to take his talents to the UFL or the CFL if no labor agreement is reached. In addition, he’s reportedly started mixed martial arts training, and has an eye toward participating in an MMA event sometime this offseason, according to the Tennessean. In March, he said he had a bear-hunting expedition planned for this spring. And this past week, he was named No. 85 on the NFL Network’s presentation of “The Top 100 Players of 2011.”

Why it might not work: As stated, Babin, who will be 31 before the start of the 2011 season, has enjoyed his greatest success in 4-3 defensive sets, and has struggled in 3-4 schemes. Barring a change of New England’s base 3-4 defense, the marriage of Babin and the Patriots might not work. In addition, like Jenkins, Babin had his best season entering free agency — he will likely command one of the heftiest contracts across the league as a result. Despite his  2010 production, on paper, it doesn’t appear to be the most cost-effective move for New England to pursue Babin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I think they are already on the Pats. but thats just my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RonMex2. Show RonMex2's posts

Cunningham is good..but they look into FA check out

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

FREE AGENT SNAPSHOT: MANNY LAWSON

By Christopher Price

Manny Lawson (AP)

Despite the labor uncertainty, WEEI.com will present a list of 10 possible fits for the Patriots in free agency (under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement) this offseason. For the rest of the players we have profiled as part of this feature, click here.

Manny Lawson
    Position: Outside linebacker
    Height: 6-foot-5
    Weight: 240

If the free agency rules of 2010 carry over to 2011, Lawson would be a restricted free agent, which would make it pretty hard to land him. But if there are new rules in effect with a new CBA, Lawson could be one of the more attractive free agents on the market, particularly to the Patriots. He’s a smart, heady player who has distinguished himself as one of the better young outside linebackers in the league.

Lawson’s sack numbers won’t blow you away — he led the 49ers with 6.5 in 2009, and had just 2.5 last year. But from the midway point of the 2009 season through last year, he was used primarily on first and second downs, which caused a dip in his totals. In addition, he’s known as a solid presence against the run. For more evidence, www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/16/pass-rushing-productivity-3/" target="_blank">check out this breakdown from the fine folks at Pro Football Focus. Regardless of what you think of their opinion of Tom Brady (and we have heard from many of you on that topic), the PFF guys present a very compelling argument that Lawson is one of the most productive pass rushers in the league.

In a recent ESPN article, Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. weighed in on Lawson, and added a very interesting side note: “Every time I bring his name up, San Francisco fans are like, ‘He is a bust, he is not good.’ But the rest of the league wants him. The best might be ahead of him. He is long, fluid. If he went to New England, he might all of a sudden be going to Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl. Not that the San Francisco defense is bad, but you might be careful what you wish for with him leaving town. I don’t think he has been a bust.”

Regardless of the rules, San Francisco sounds ready to move on from Lawson, if not this year, than in the not-too-distant future. They took Aldon Smith — who plays the same position as Lawson — with the seventh overall pick in the draft. Which could mean that if he’s not available as a free agent, the 49ers might entertain the possibility of a trade sooner rather than later.

Why it might not work: As an unrestricted free agent, it would be a long shot. The asking price for Lawson would be too steep. And even if he is available, the contract would come at a hefty price — Lawson’s stock is on the rise seemingly everywhere outside of San Francisco. (The only red flag on that front came last year when he skipped OTA’s, reportedly because he was unhappy with his deal.) But at least on paper, the combination of Lawson and the Patriots appears to make a lot of sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

my question about lawson is what would it cost us to get him? Will SF cut him due to his high salary? i think it would be a good investment to give up a 4th for him.  he would instantly improve our pass rush and has the size/speed/intelligenec to play opposite of cunningham.  Plus he is a good run stopper which was one of our major weaknesses on D last season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

SF needs a QB so what if we traded Hoyer for the rights to lawson?  they don't want to pay him the $ he will demand and just drafted aldon smith 7th overall.  We have mallett and although i really like hoyer, we need a good OLB and getting a 6'5" OLB to play opposite of Cunningham would be amazing.  he was due only 1.881 million last year so we could easily offer him 3-4 million per year for 2-3 years which is more representative of his value as a run stopper/pass rusher. 

Sections
Shortcuts