Pass rush options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Pass rush options

In Response to Re: Pass rush options:
    [QUOTE]FREE AGENT SNAPSHOT: MANNY LAWSON By  Christopher Price Manny Lawson (AP) Despite the labor uncertainty, WEEI.com will present a list of 10 possible fits for the Patriots in free agency (under the old Collective Bargaining Agreement) this offseason. For the rest of the players we have profiled as part of this feature,  click here . Manny Lawson Position: Outside linebacker Age: 26 (will turn 27 on July 3) Height: 6-foot-5 Weight: 240 If the free agency rules of 2010 carry over to 2011, Lawson would be a restricted free agent, which would make it pretty hard to land him. But if there are new rules in effect with a new CBA, Lawson could be one of the more attractive free agents on the market, particularly to the Patriots. He’s a smart, heady player who has distinguished himself as one of the better young outside linebackers in the league. Lawson’s sack numbers won’t blow you away — he led the 49ers with 6.5 in 2009, and had just 2.5 last year. But from the midway point of the 2009 season through last year, he was used primarily on first and second downs, which caused a dip in his totals. In addition, he’s known as a solid presence against the run. For more evidence,  www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/03/16/pass-rushing-productivity-3/ " target="_blank" /> check out this breakdown from the fine folks at Pro Football Focus . Regardless of what you think of their opinion of Tom Brady (and we have heard from many of you on that topic), the PFF guys present a very compelling argument that Lawson is one of the most productive pass rushers in the league. In a recent ESPN article , Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. weighed in on Lawson, and added a very interesting side note: “Every time I bring his name up, San Francisco fans are like, ‘He is a bust, he is not good.’ But the rest of the league wants him. The best might be ahead of him. He is long, fluid. If he went to New England, he might all of a sudden be going to Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl. Not that the San Francisco defense is bad, but you might be careful what you wish for with him leaving town. I don’t think he has been a bust.” Regardless of the rules, San Francisco sounds ready to move on from Lawson, if not this year, than in the not-too-distant future. They took Aldon Smith — who plays the same position as Lawson — with the seventh overall pick in the draft. Which could mean that if he’s not available as a free agent, the 49ers might entertain the possibility of a trade sooner rather than later. Why it might not work:  As an unrestricted free agent, it would be a long shot. The asking price for Lawson would be too steep. And even if he is available, the contract would come at a hefty price — Lawson’s stock is on the rise seemingly everywhere outside of San Francisco. (The only red flag on that front came last year when he skipped OTA’s, reportedly because he was unhappy with his deal.) But at least on paper, the combination of Lawson and the Patriots appears to make a lot of sense.
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

The pro-football focus link is an eye-opener Rocky. It makes you wonder what kind of numbers someone like Lawson might put up  with better defensive backs or in a situation where he was rushing more often.

I think his most recommendable asset is his ability to drop into coverage, but given the overall effectiveness when he does rush, perhaps he is the kind of player who adds something.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think that being able to drop into coverage is a big selling point on lawson, BB practically requires it of his OLB. Lawson would be a beast here.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Pre-draft measureablesHtWt40-yd dash10-yd split20-yd split20-ss3-coneVertBroadBPWonderlic6 ft 5⅜ in241 lb4.43 s1.55 s2.62 s4.21 s6.90 s39½ in10 ft 4 in23 rep43

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

That's Manny Lawson's combine. The guy screams Belichick guy, but that's why I can't see him in a Pats uni. Belichick never goes after pass-rushers that would be good for his defense. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

ive said it in numerous posts that the pats will go after tamba hali, he is one of the best in the league, young and plays in kc 34, he has the franchise tag, but well worth giving up the picks. would be huge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Lawson does look like a good fit for what Bill looks for in an OLB...not sure what Lawson is currently tendered at or what his salry is....

Bill would NEVER give up a 1st &2nd round pick to land Tamba Hali....HOWEVER, Mankins is tendered for the same thing as Tamba & I could see a player for player swap happening where Bill throws in an additional player like Crumpler that would really help the Chiefs offense....afterall this is Crumplers last year & his contact is expensive & Lee Smith was just drafted to fill his role....
    When free agency hits I could see Bill & Pioli working a deal....both getting what they need....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Marcus Stroud will be given a long look at the DE/OLB position so any other moves will surprise me in this area. On the other hand the moment Chad Johnson is cut you can be sure BB will sign him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]Lawson does look like a good fit for what Bill looks for in an OLB...not sure what Lawson is currently tendered at or what his salry is.... Bill would NEVER give up a 1st &2nd round pick to land Tamba Hali....HOWEVER, Mankins is tendered for the same thing as Tamba & I could see a player for player swap happening where Bill throws in an additional player like Crumpler that would really help the Chiefs offense....afterall this is Crumplers last year & his contact is expensive & Lee Smith was just drafted to fill his role.... When free agency hits I could see Bill & Pioli working a deal....both getting what they need....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

i highly doubt that the cheifs want to give up the AFC leader in sacks, especially when they have the cap space to sign him long term, even if it is for mankins.  a top level guard can be had in the 2nd round of the draft. a top notch OLB pass rusher is much harder to find being that there are many 1st round pass rushing busts (Gholston, etc).  I think lawson would be a better bet to trade for being that SF has already drafted his replacement (7th overall) and doesn't want to resign him due to $/bust label.  I'm not sure what level he is tendered for but if it is a 2nd or below i cannot see BB pass him up.  he would be an instant upgrade and put our defense back to the SB caliber level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass rush options : i highly doubt that the cheifs want to give up the AFC leader in sacks, especially when they have the cap space to sign him long term, even if it is for mankins.  a top level guard can be had in the 2nd round of the draft. a top notch OLB pass rusher is much harder to find being that there are many 1st round pass rushing busts (Gholston, etc).  I think lawson would be a better bet to trade for being that SF has already drafted his replacement (7th overall) and doesn't want to resign him due to $/bust label.  I'm not sure what level he is tendered for but if it is a 2nd or below i cannot see BB pass him up.  he would be an instant upgrade and put our defense back to the SB caliber level.
    Posted by natesubs[/QUOTE]

Manny Lawson might be a free agent. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass rush options : Manny Lawson might be a free agent. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

he is a restricted FA, so it will cost some sort of draft pick to get him away fro SF, but this could be a good thing because it will deter teams from going after him, and we have a lot of picks in next years draft.  BB has picked up RFA's in the past, welker,  DE Rodney Bailey, etc.  Does anyone w=know the tender level of Lawson?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

plus if we include a poison pill to the offer to lawson SF will not be able to match.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass rush options :  he is a restricted FA, so it will cost some sort of draft pick to get him away fro SF, but this could be a good thing because it will deter teams from going after him, and we have a lot of picks in next years draft.  BB has picked up RFA's in the past, welker,  DE Rodney Bailey, etc.  Does anyone w=know the tender level of Lawson?

They didn't tender him, the 9ers aren't sure if he's a free agent or not. Depending on which CBA they go with, Manny may or may not be a free agent. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Marcus Stroud will be given a long look at the DE/OLB position so any other moves will surprise me in this area. On the other hand the moment Chad Johnson is cut you can be sure BB will sign him.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! You almost had me scratching my head saying, this guy is a clown!! I get the comic relief and any outside backer/pass rusher topics is kind of funny when you think of how many guys they have passed up on through the draft and free agency.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]i think that being able to drop into coverage is a big selling point on lawson, BB practically requires it of his OLB. Lawson would be a beast here.

Not even practically .. he 'does' require it. I think Willie Mac was sent on the rush more often because of the practicalities of the situation, but all in all, BB cannot stand having an offense dictate

Part of countering that is with versatile players all the way around the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

New England has a special reason to improve their pass rush ability.  Pro Football Focus released a list of QBs who are not so vulnerable to pass rush pressure.  Brady came in at number 9 on the list of 34, which I guess is pretty ok.  However, at the bottom of the list for 2010, QBs who curl up and die with pressure, are the following:

#34 (the bottom)  Donovan McNabb (probably should have stayed out of the league for 2011)
    #33  Brett Favre (out of the league)
    #32 The Sanchize
    #31 Chad Henne
    #30 Ryan Fitzpatrick

That's right, New England has to play six games next year against the NFL's very worst three QBs under pressure, excluding Donovan McNabb, and one game against McNabb if he's still around next December.  Bring it!

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/16/pressure-reveals/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

good point paul. and we haven't really been able to pressure any of these guys!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]New England has a special reason to improve their pass rush ability.  Pro Football Focus released a list of QBs who are not so vulnerable to pass rush pressure.  Brady came in at number 9 on the list of 34, which I guess is pretty ok.  However, at the bottom of the list for 2010, QBs who curl up and die with pressure, are the following: #34 (the bottom)  Donovan McNabb (probably should have stayed out of the league for 2011) #33  Brett Favre (out of the league) #32 The Sanchize #31 Chad Henne #30 Ryan Fitzpatrick That's right, New England has to play six games next year against the NFL's very worst three QBs under pressure, excluding Donovan McNabb, and one game against McNabb if he's still around next December.  Bring it! http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/16/pressure-reveals/
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

That article is nonsense right when you get to the final column and they adjust ratings. 

Essentially, Khalid's (who is a full time Pats basher btw) adjusted rating tells us that he would rather a QB throw an INT than take a sack or throw the ball away when pressured. That is ... using common sense ... just silly. 

But yeah, Sanchez is bad under pressure, although not ranked there again, is his ability to scramble which is above average, and Khalid doesn't take that into account either.

Needless to say, you don't need PFF's false metrics to tell you NE needs to put a little more pressure on poor QBs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Our corners need to stay consistant for good pass rushing until that happens. no pass rush :(

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

yeah the pass rush should be better with McCourty coming into his second season he should be even better than he was before. Arrington got a lot of good playing time for a good reliable backup. Now with McCourty in his second year and Bodden coming back .. our LB core we have now should all be better.. I think a lot of you will be surprised I think the pass rush is going to improve with the core we have now.. IN BILL I TRUST.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

do i think it will be improved solely with the extra year of experience, the return of bodden and warren, and the addition of dowling,  yes. Do i still want to see us bring in a stud OLB such as manny lawson... Definiately.  Our pass rush could use a player whom defensive coordinators have to plan for.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]yeah the pass rush should be better with McCourty coming into his second season he should be even better than he was before. Arrington got a lot of good playing time for a good reliable backup. Now with McCourty in his second year and Bodden coming back .. our LB core we have now should all be better.. I think a lot of you will be surprised I think the pass rush is going to improve with the core we have now.. IN BILL I TRUST.
    Posted by xxcodyfxx[/QUOTE]

i will say it here as ive said elsewhere, arrington is a football player, but he has no idea how to play corner. if he has not learned how to play the position by now, he likely will never be a good cornerback. he can tackle a guy after he makes a catch, to me that is not good enough to play corner for my team or our team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I expect BB will stick with what he has drafted and hope. His track record on FAs of this ilk is not so hot, and he has a lot of reason to not easily admit his moves of late to address the issue are failures. He may be also hoping his swing at another CB will be a hit this time and that will help make whatever pass rush he has more effective. But maybe he will sign somebody. I would be a little surprised if he did. That would be the logical thing at this juncture.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts