Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Pass rush options

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Pass rush options

That's Manny Lawson's combine. The guy screams Belichick guy, but that's why I can't see him in a Pats uni. Belichick never goes after pass-rushers that would be good for his defense. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

ive said it in numerous posts that the pats will go after tamba hali, he is one of the best in the league, young and plays in kc 34, he has the franchise tag, but well worth giving up the picks. would be huge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Lawson does look like a good fit for what Bill looks for in an OLB...not sure what Lawson is currently tendered at or what his salry is....

Bill would NEVER give up a 1st &2nd round pick to land Tamba Hali....HOWEVER, Mankins is tendered for the same thing as Tamba & I could see a player for player swap happening where Bill throws in an additional player like Crumpler that would really help the Chiefs offense....afterall this is Crumplers last year & his contact is expensive & Lee Smith was just drafted to fill his role....
    When free agency hits I could see Bill & Pioli working a deal....both getting what they need....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Marcus Stroud will be given a long look at the DE/OLB position so any other moves will surprise me in this area. On the other hand the moment Chad Johnson is cut you can be sure BB will sign him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options:
    Lawson does look like a good fit for what Bill looks for in an OLB...not sure what Lawson is currently tendered at or what his salry is.... Bill would NEVER give up a 1st &2nd round pick to land Tamba Hali....HOWEVER, Mankins is tendered for the same thing as Tamba & I could see a player for player swap happening where Bill throws in an additional player like Crumpler that would really help the Chiefs offense....afterall this is Crumplers last year & his contact is expensive & Lee Smith was just drafted to fill his role.... When free agency hits I could see Bill & Pioli working a deal....both getting what they need....
    Posted by dmcpatsfan

i highly doubt that the cheifs want to give up the AFC leader in sacks, especially when they have the cap space to sign him long term, even if it is for mankins.  a top level guard can be had in the 2nd round of the draft. a top notch OLB pass rusher is much harder to find being that there are many 1st round pass rushing busts (Gholston, etc).  I think lawson would be a better bet to trade for being that SF has already drafted his replacement (7th overall) and doesn't want to resign him due to $/bust label.  I'm not sure what level he is tendered for but if it is a 2nd or below i cannot see BB pass him up.  he would be an instant upgrade and put our defense back to the SB caliber level.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options : i highly doubt that the cheifs want to give up the AFC leader in sacks, especially when they have the cap space to sign him long term, even if it is for mankins.  a top level guard can be had in the 2nd round of the draft. a top notch OLB pass rusher is much harder to find being that there are many 1st round pass rushing busts (Gholston, etc).  I think lawson would be a better bet to trade for being that SF has already drafted his replacement (7th overall) and doesn't want to resign him due to $/bust label.  I'm not sure what level he is tendered for but if it is a 2nd or below i cannot see BB pass him up.  he would be an instant upgrade and put our defense back to the SB caliber level.
    Posted by natesubs

Manny Lawson might be a free agent. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options : Manny Lawson might be a free agent. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

he is a restricted FA, so it will cost some sort of draft pick to get him away fro SF, but this could be a good thing because it will deter teams from going after him, and we have a lot of picks in next years draft.  BB has picked up RFA's in the past, welker,  DE Rodney Bailey, etc.  Does anyone w=know the tender level of Lawson?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

plus if we include a poison pill to the offer to lawson SF will not be able to match.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options :  he is a restricted FA, so it will cost some sort of draft pick to get him away fro SF, but this could be a good thing because it will deter teams from going after him, and we have a lot of picks in next years draft.  BB has picked up RFA's in the past, welker,  DE Rodney Bailey, etc.  Does anyone w=know the tender level of Lawson?
    Posted by natesubs

They didn't tender him, the 9ers aren't sure if he's a free agent or not. Depending on which CBA they go with, Manny may or may not be a free agent. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Marcus Stroud will be given a long look at the DE/OLB position so any other moves will surprise me in this area. On the other hand the moment Chad Johnson is cut you can be sure BB will sign him.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Hahaha! You almost had me scratching my head saying, this guy is a clown!! I get the comic relief and any outside backer/pass rusher topics is kind of funny when you think of how many guys they have passed up on through the draft and free agency.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

New England has a special reason to improve their pass rush ability.  Pro Football Focus released a list of QBs who are not so vulnerable to pass rush pressure.  Brady came in at number 9 on the list of 34, which I guess is pretty ok.  However, at the bottom of the list for 2010, QBs who curl up and die with pressure, are the following:

#34 (the bottom)  Donovan McNabb (probably should have stayed out of the league for 2011)
    #33  Brett Favre (out of the league)
    #32 The Sanchize
    #31 Chad Henne
    #30 Ryan Fitzpatrick

That's right, New England has to play six games next year against the NFL's very worst three QBs under pressure, excluding Donovan McNabb, and one game against McNabb if he's still around next December.  Bring it!

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/16/pressure-reveals/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

good point paul. and we haven't really been able to pressure any of these guys!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Our corners need to stay consistant for good pass rushing until that happens. no pass rush :(

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

yeah the pass rush should be better with McCourty coming into his second season he should be even better than he was before. Arrington got a lot of good playing time for a good reliable backup. Now with McCourty in his second year and Bodden coming back .. our LB core we have now should all be better.. I think a lot of you will be surprised I think the pass rush is going to improve with the core we have now.. IN BILL I TRUST.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

do i think it will be improved solely with the extra year of experience, the return of bodden and warren, and the addition of dowling,  yes. Do i still want to see us bring in a stud OLB such as manny lawson... Definiately.  Our pass rush could use a player whom defensive coordinators have to plan for.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

yeah the pass rush should be better with McCourty coming into his second season he should be even better than he was before. Arrington got a lot of good playing time for a good reliable backup. Now with McCourty in his second year and Bodden coming back .. our LB core we have now should all be better.. I think a lot of you will be surprised I think the pass rush is going to improve with the core we have now.. IN BILL I TRUST.
    Posted by xxcodyfxx

i will say it here as ive said elsewhere, arrington is a football player, but he has no idea how to play corner. if he has not learned how to play the position by now, he likely will never be a good cornerback. he can tackle a guy after he makes a catch, to me that is not good enough to play corner for my team or our team.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options : i will say it here as ive said elsewhere, arrington is a football player, but he has no idea how to play corner. if he has not learned how to play the position by now, he likely will never be a good cornerback. he can tackle a guy after a catch, to me that is not good enough to play corner for my team or our team.
    Posted by brdbreu

Do you think butler will be an impact then?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

It is premature to lump Cunningham into the group of busts at the outside linebacker spot.In thruth,I felt he was coming on remarkably well for a draftee switching positions and having missed,for all intents and purposes,all of training camp.He was generating pressure and was impressive holding the edge against the run.Also,B.B. has consistently not drated projections at OLB in the first couple of rounds as he,if not everyone,realizes how difficult a transition it is and that difficulty increases incrementally in a system as diverse and demanding as the Pats.The only significant bust was in free agency and that,of course,was Thomas who obviously may no effort to adjust to N.E.version of the 34 after coming from the vastly different 34 philosophy in Baltimore.Two final quick thoughts:first,Banta-Cain played hurt when he was able to play;second,though the sample is small,I'm intrigued with Moore,not a sure thing by any means but I'd like to see more(no pun intended)>

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think cunningham has a great deal of potential and that you cannot label a player a bust till his 3rd season in the NFL.  I really liked watching Moore, looking forward to seeing what he can do with a year in the system.  I still want to bring in Roth/lawson to help this OLB group.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Pass rush options : Do you think butler will be an impact then?
    Posted by xxcodyfxx

so far, butler has been worse.
    if doesnt make a tremendous improvement this year (which i doubt), i think he gets cut, or should.

as far as his technique and abilties, it's poor.

Sections
Shortcuts