Pass Rush vs. Colts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Pass Rush vs. Colts

Hi Fans,
     If Kyle Orton can hit for over 70% against a phanthom Pass Rush what will Manning do? Let's hope for the best.
    Go Pats

DavidSeattle

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Re: Pass Rush vs. Colts

I read a statistic recently that said that Manning gets something like 85% of his passes away within three seconds of the snap. It's extremely difficult to get to ANY quarterback that quickly.

Mounting a pass rush against a team like this is almost impossible. We have to try, but my guess is that we'll be dropping a lot of guys into pass coverage, as we have in the past versus the Colts. Too much emphasis on getting to Manning can really come back to bite you. You almost have to concede that you will not be able to get to him, and focus on his receivers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Mc Daniels is a good coach and Denver is always a tough place for the Pats to play. The secondary has played well all year, but they will be tested. The rush has looked amemic at times, but when two opponents with thourough familarity with eachother play I expect the level of play to intensify. It's difficult to prognosticate based on past decisions or who played well with what personel. It's never about stats or personal glory it's about winning. BB gameplans differently for each team, therefore the fact that Orton had a great completion % means nothing because we are not facing, nor are the Pats, a statistic. More pressure from the LBs would be ideal. Alot depends on the alignment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

In Response to Re: Pass Rush vs. Colts:
    [QUOTE]Mc Daniels is a good coach and Denver is always a tough place for the Pats to play. The secondary has played well all year, but they will be tested. The rush has looked amemic at times, but when two opponents with thourough familarity with eachother play I expect the level of play to intensify. It's difficult to prognosticate based on past decisions or who played well with what personel. It's never about stats or personal glory it's about winning. BB gameplans differently for each team, therefore the fact that Orton had a great completion % means nothing because we are not facing, nor are the Pats, a statistic. More pressure from the LBs would be ideal. Alot depends on the alignment.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

Orton had a great game because there was no pass rush. I watched the Denver/ Ravens and Pitt games and the Broncos O & D Lines were completely out played. Hence their losses.
     The Pats did not get to Orton once. And however gradeable and subjective to interpretation, statistics do speak of performance, so they are a good predictor of what might happen.
     No Sacks against Manning will be the Pats undoing. In years past Manning  was hurried and harrassed in some big wins by the Pats. Getting to the QB in my opinion is the best way to disrupt a potent air offense.
     Go Pats

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]Mc Daniels is a good coach and Denver is always a tough place for the Pats to play. The secondary has played well all year, but they will be tested. The rush has looked amemic at times, but when two opponents with thourough familarity with eachother play I expect the level of play to intensify. It's difficult to prognosticate based on past decisions or who played well with what personel. It's never about stats or personal glory it's about winning. BB gameplans differently for each team, therefore the fact that Orton had a great completion % means nothing because we are not facing, nor are the Pats, a statistic. More pressure from the LBs would be ideal. Alot depends on the alignment.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Hannah - I agree with you on this to an extent.  Correct my mistakes here but how many of the pats defensive players have more than 2 years experience against the colts?  I think the pats offensive group is pretty well in tact over that period of time. 

On the other side, the colts have 4-5 newbies (by the standards above) on D.  And by the same token the O is pretty well in tact. 

The test for both teams (as expected) will be on defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]Orton had a great game because there was no pass rush. I watched the Denver/ Ravens and Pitt games and the Broncos O & D Lines were completely out played. Hence their losses.  The Pats did not get to Orton once. And however gradeable and subjective to interpretation, statistics do speak of performance, so they are a good predictor of what might happen.  No Sacks against Manning will be the Pats undoing. In years past Manning  was hurried and harrassed in some big wins by the Pats. Getting to the QB in my opinion is the best way to disrupt a potent air offense.  Go Pats
    Posted by DavidSeattle[/QUOTE]

Actually, the reason why Kyle Orton tourched the Patriots was because we played off his receivers fearing that he might burn us going deep. The Ravens and Steelers all pressed the box and Orton's receivers and forced him to beat their DBs. If the Patriots play the Broncos again, it won't be as close as the last game. We have better CBs than the Ravens, and although we don't rush the QB as well as the Steelers, we have DBs who are just as good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass Rush vs. Colts : Actually, the reason why Kyle Orton tourched the Patriots was because we played off his receivers fearing that he might burn us going deep. The Ravens and Steelers all pressed the box and Orton's receivers and forced him to beat their DBs. If the Patriots play the Broncos again, it won't be as close as the last game. We have better CBs than the Ravens, and although we don't rush the QB as well as the Steelers, we have DBs who are just as good.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DavidSeattle. Show DavidSeattle's posts

The Ravens and Steelers Blasted the Denver O line. Denver Tackles and Guards  were being driven back so they could barely keep balance on one foot. The Pats have not demonstrated this with their D. personnel vs anyone so far. The Game begins at the Line of Scrimmage, Even the best CB get beat if the QB has enough time.
     Pass Rush is the Key!
     If you read the Denver Post most Bronco fans blame Josh.
    Football IQ not measurable. They say Orton has no Downfield strength. You say the Pats were preventing deep throws. I say it was a lack of a Pass Rush.
      The Steelers and Ravens have a Pass Rush. They beat Denver. The Pats lost because they allowed a good, QB Orton to throw. He may not be a Probowler, but there are close to 30 Million Men near his age who have to wacth and cannot displace him.
     Pass Rush has always been the key.
     In regard to predictablility, many people say the Colts are very predictable.
     But no one seems to stop them too frequently. So, it is a matter of how well the players perform that determines outcome.
     Stop Dallas Clark, Wayne, Addai, Manning, out play Jeff Saturday and the Colts O-line. The Coltss ran right up the Gut past Vince and Tedy in a playoff game a few back, J. Addai TD. Stop that aort of thing again
      Keep Freeney and Mathis off Tom. Control the Ball. Manning can score quickly or use long drives. Maybe  tryng for a low scoring victory is a good strategy!!  Hold the ball , Play great Defense
    The Pat's defense has to rise to the occaission. They will not win a shhotout in my upinion.

Go Tom Go Pats
    Go Randy Moss, Wes, Laurence, Go Pats

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Hit the receivers hard at the line. That messes up the timing and allows you to get more pressure on Manning because he can't throw as quickly. I don't think I'd blitz a lot, but I'd probably have an extra DB or two on the field a lot of the game. I'd want my DBs to be aggressive at the line of scrimmage, but keep one or two back to protect just in case a DB misses the hit off the line and the receiver breaks free. I see the safeties (Merriweather, McGowan, and Chung) playing a big role in this game. You still have to respect the run with Indy, so I wonder if this an opportunity for a big hitter like Chung to get himself noticed?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If a player like Orton can compleat over 70% of his passes, because there is no pass rush, what can Manning do? Well, given enough time he'd simply carve up our sagging secondary. He's got to be hurried or occasionally sacked for his composure to be rattled. But that has happened in the past and may well happen tonight. Failing that we'll need a high powered offense and a couple of great breaks to prevail.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Pass rush is key...The same could be said for tight coverage...They mean the same thing in a roundabout way. Tight coverage at the line makes Manning hold the ball for say 3.5 to 4 seconds before his receivers get open instead of 3. This allows more time for our pass rush to get there. It makes sense and we all know this as it has been stated many times.

I think more than anything the defensive package and personnel Bill puts on the field as our base defense is the key to slowing down the Colts O. Adjustments to the original gameplan must be made throughout the game. Little tweaks here and there. Coaching is the key to this game. We must assume players are going to execute as they have practiced this game their entire lives. If the gameplan is wrong or is not working, doesn't matter how well the players execute it.

Sections
Shortcuts