Pass Rush

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: Pass Rush

According to Mike Reiss (respected by me, usually), the pass rush was not the problem. The coverage was the problem. Interesting point of view cause I didn't see much QB pressure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Pass Rush:
    [QUOTE]According to Mike Reiss (respected by me, usually), the pass rush was not the problem. The coverage was the problem. Interesting point of view cause I didn't see much QB pressure. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4682283/rush-not-the-issue-its-coverage
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

Without playing man it exposed the secondary... making it seem that way.  But remember Mike has pass rush as the number 1 weakness, which is why I love the hate I am getting for saying the samething.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass Rush : Without playing man it exposed the secondary... making it seem that way.  But remember Mike has pass rush as the number 1 weakness, which is why I love the hate I am getting for saying the samething.
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

no ones hating you, you're just being stoopid. its a preason game let it rest. i couls see if they played like that against the saints and falcons

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

All of this is why I see us 2 years away.  I still think we end up 9-7 or 10-6 and win the div by 1 game this year.  But I dont see us doing well in the playoffs till 2 more years of drafts and development.  Then we go on a 2-3 year SB run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

Belichick departed from the conventional "dress rehersal / most important preseason game" designation for the 3rd PS game. That's what I think. There was still a high degree of experimentation going on.  Granted: I'd rather see what he was trying - working /and the players on the field - performing....   but even the first 4 games of the regular season, you never see a finished product.That's the complexity of Belichick defenses.

No way I think Spikes and McCourty are the regular season starters.
    Here's the Cincinnati starting defense, I think: (In black are the starters vs.the Rams. In red are the guys I think will be there instead, vs. the Bengals.)

LDE Gerard Warren
    NT Vince Wilfork
    RDE Mike Wright
    OLB Derrick Burgess    (increasingly Cunningham as year progresses)
    ILB Brandon Spikes     Guyton  (increasingly Spikes as year progresses) 
    ILB Jerod Mayo
    OLB Tully Banta-Cain
    CB Devin McCourty     Bodden
    CB Darius Butler     
    SS Brandon Meriweather
    FS Patrick Chung.     McGowan

I for one HATE the thought of (2) pre-season games and (18) regular season games.  (2) is NOT enough to evaluate talent, schemes, personnel sets, etc.
    Heck, as it is, the first 2-4 Regular Seaon games are still auditioning times and experimentation periods as it is!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mstringr. Show mstringr's posts

Burgess first game back, too.   Just saying.

And this will be Burgess' second year in the defense.

I think he'llbe improved over last year,once he gets in condition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

The Pats pass rush is non existent.  Do I think this is a decent team which will make the playoffs, yes.  Will they win any playoff games without being able to pressure the other teams QB, no.  Brady and our strong receivers can put up some points, but in the playoffs we NEED rushers of the quarterback.  McGinnest, Vrabel, Seymour etc. had the ability to get to the QB in the postseason when we needed to most.  Since their departure we have not replaced them with anyone worth mentioning.  This is Bill's biggest concern and for the last two years he has not addressed it.  A CB vs. a pass rusher, or trading back rather than Clay Matthews.  I think Bill is one of the top coaches in the league but he has missed this point for far too long, RUSH the Passer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In Response to Pass Rush:
    [QUOTE]Anyone want to sugar coat the weakness from last year, and now it's looking like this year too? Someone fool me into believing we're, OK? I know what can make this team stronger all the way around on D.  This will help our secondary, our LB's in coverage... any guesses?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]
    Haven't you reached your complaint limit for the week?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In Response to Re: Pass Rush : Without playing man it exposed the secondary... making it seem that way.  But remember Mike has pass rush as the number 1 weakness, which is why I love the hate I am getting for saying the samething.
    Posted by Getzo

no ones hating you, you're just being stoopid. its a preason game let it rest. i couls see if they played like that against the saints and falcons

Ummmmm no.. and no, and no. What makes you think I came to this conclusion after the Ram's game?  We have the same OLB, thats what worries me.  I can't say I am a huge fan of Burgess, and TBC is an average player that I like but I wanted a littlemore you know?  You'll act like I am trying to concede this season or something.  I wish we went out and got someone, thats all.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pass Rush : Haven't you reached your complaint limit for the week?
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

What's the point of this Blog if I agree with all of you.  I am just expressing my point of lack of pass rush.  The only way I see this improving is if the second year for Burgess turns out to be a break out. 

BTW I will continue to repeat myself as long as I keep getting attacked...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Or someone else other than Burgess. Why do people focus on one player?  I don't get this. People scan the roster searching for a scapegoat. Just calm down. You can behave like this until you turn blue during the regular season.
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

TBC, Burgess are the starters, correct?  Than we have Cunninham, Woods, Ninkovich (SP) as top back ups?  Not sure I totally sold on that.  Look I would like to see another name like Ellis? in there?  I dunno.  I got my fingers crossed, but just not sold yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Across the NFL this was a crazy week.  The NFL front office keeps up a charade that preseason games count for something or other and that the fans should cheer for their home teams.  The NFL's coaches are under no such illusion.   If you have a losing team such as, say, the Oakland Raiders, you play your star QB and RB until they are carted off the field because you really need a strong showing to sell tickets.  In fact Oakland's RB has a broken thumb now.  Too bad.  If you have a winning team, you want your starters to be healthy for game 1 of the real season, you want to test your team's mettle in the face of adversity, and if the team is a veritable thundering juggernaut then perhaps you don't care how well they do this week. 

Cunningham is the wild card.  Like Brace he is reputedly good, the little that we've seen of him, but he's not there yet.

TBC was a joke this past week.  Who thinks he'll be a joke in September?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Russ mentioned to expect big names being cut as teams trim their rosters. I couldn't agree more, teams always let go of pass rushers this time  year because the pass rush is....overrated! Also teams like to get rid of  play makers as well so they can replace them with undersized outside linebackers and corners.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

[QUOTE]I think Russ mentioned to expect big names being cut as teams trim their rosters. I couldn't agree more, teams always let go of pass rushers this time  year because the pass rush is....overrated! Also teams like to get rid of  play makers as well so they can replace them with undersized outside linebackers and corners.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]\

Keep on trolling

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm betting on my team.  First game will be important, and I think we get a good workout with the Bengals at home.  They seem a bit disoriented last few games.  Then the Jets, where I expect our offense will have some trouble, but should be ok, if Revis is there or not, since he will draw Randy anyway.  One reason I think we are rainbowing to Randy in the preseason is to get teams to focus on him as we hit the regular season.  Welker, Edleman, Herandez, Gronk, Tate, Price, and Faulk will be getting the work there.  Our d against their O may be the issue.  I think we will play the run and make Sanchize beat us.  Don't think he can.  BTW, Jests just release Coles.  Interesting.  After that, I expect things will be settled in, and the Defense will get stronger from there on.  I think we get pass rush, we just need some coverage in the short and medium throw area. Someone on some thread posted about our undersized corners.  Leigh Bodden 6'1" 193lbs.  Devin McCourty 5'10 193 lbs.  Darius Butler 5'10" 190 lbs.  Darelle Revis 6'0" 205lbs. Nnamde Asomugha is 6'2" and 210.  Dunta Robinson 5'10" 182lbs.  Asante Samuel 5'10" 185 lbs.  Champ Bailey 6'0" 192 lbs.  Seems like our guys are right in there with some of the best, size-wise, its about something else, most likely just getting some time in and firming things up. The Bengals and Jets may be just what we need.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phizzeldickus. Show Phizzeldickus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass Rush : Awful use of sarcasm.  FAIL

No it was actually pretty good and on the spot. What happened Russ, did your wife lock you in the closet this and every weekend because even she is annoyed with you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

To be honest, Russ and mthurl made good points... just can't be one sided I guess.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

[QUOTE]Ellis is a locker room problem, apparently.  He's not coming here.  Schobel would have been ideal, but he quit. Expect big name cuts from other teams.  A potential lock out in 2011, rookies outperforming these vets with deals past 2011, etc. They remain prime cut candidate teams especially for teams rebuilding. BB isn't done assembling the final product and I'd like to see Cunningham anyway.

I do agree with Rusty here in a number of things he mentioned...- Ellis is a locker room problem from what I heard in the past too and I was ALL about picking up Schobel until he decided to retire.  NOW, it's ALL about what happens on Aug 31st and Sept 4th (which teams trim their rosters down to 53 guys). 

I would think the Pats aren't done yet as far as rounding out their roster either. I can see them pouncing on a player IF of course is available and can help out this team! (or atleast I hope they do if someone is out there who can def. help!)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I think Russ mentioned to expect big names being cut as teams trim their rosters. I couldn't agree more, teams always let go of pass rushers this time  year because the pass rush is....overrated! Also teams like to get rid of  play makers as well so they can replace them with undersized outside linebackers and corners.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

a playmaker did get released by the bengals - antonio bryant. he's injured, but he could get picked up and if a team is patient he could be an asset in the future.g

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phizzeldickus. Show Phizzeldickus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pass Rush : Not at all.  However, it appears your boyfriend has let you use his computer for a day.  That's cute.  I hope you enjoyed it.
    I have actually, thank you. I just dont understand why you think you are such an authority on something you know nothing about. Your insight is nothing but hindsight. You can only report on games after they ar edone, and anything you state that you know of the Patriots team is nothing more than a guess, just as everyone else in this forum, but yet you call them names and insight them, provoke them, when you have no more a clue than Marcia Brady about Peter's love life